Other E-commerce Websites:

UncommonGoods.com

Pros

Cons

• Shipping and Returns:

Grooviest gift shopping on the web

Each of us knows at least one person who it's impossible to shop for. I know several people like this: people who seemingly have everything....people who are so quirky that nothing ordinary really speaks to them. Uncommon Goods is a great place to shop for these folks.

If you're shopping for that friend who's a serious environmentalist, Uncommon Goods carries tons of neat things made out of recycled goods...from a decorative wall map of the USA made out of license plates from every state, to a colorful, waterproof  tote bag made of recycled juiceboxes, to a groovy and decorative CD rack made from recycled bicycle parts. You've got to come up with an original gift for that baseball fanatic in your life? Uncommon goods has a whole selection of items made out of salvaged wood and metal from America's great baseball parks during rennovation. How cool would it be to give your Uncle Frank a set of cuff links made out of actual pieces of Yankee Stadium, or your sports-loving sister a pair of earrings made from the same, complete with certificate of authenticity? What about that homesick New Yorker you live with? Would she just freak out with happiness if you got her a set of porcelain coffee cups that look exactly like the old school Greek Diner paper coffee cups that are ubiquitous in The Big Apple? (I have one of these, myself, and love it: http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=14339 )

It's true that some thngs at Uncommon Goods are uncommonly expensive but, on the other hand, a lot of this stuff is one-of-a kind/no-two-are-alike artesan stuff. Also, Uncommon Goods has a cool feature where you can search for items by price range.

If nothing else, it's a great browse, just to get a kick out of the neat ideas craft people have come up with. A fun website and a great shopping experience.

Pricey and Not Always High Quality

The first (and only) time I bought an item from Uncommon Goods, it was a pair of earrings shaped like black and white lambs.  I thought it was a cute and original design and paid almost $75 for it (including shipping).  Well, when I got it in the mail, it looked cheaply made and not as big as it did in the catalog.  I was very disappointed - the earrings seemed to made of stamped metal and looked fragile.  I immediately returned it but found that my credit card had been charged double shipping!  I called customer service and they said they made an mistake and refunded it - in the end, I still lost $9 because that's how much they charge to ship this tiny little item. Rip off!

After that, they still sent me countless catalogs but I haven't bought anything from them since. Given my first experience, I have reasons to be wary.  Their items look cute but are also kind of frivolous, the kind of cutesy items that are impulse buys, not for practical reasons.  Definitely not recession-friendly!  They also sell items that are sold for much cheaper on other sites, like Nahui Ollin handmade candy wrapper bags...I found cheaper and nicer ones on eBay and Amazon.  Buyer beware!

fun site

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

I like the products they sell on their site.

Great place for "different" gifts

Profile Image

from Florida

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

I was recommended to Uncommon Goods after getting frustrated at trying to find gifts for someone who was hard to shop for.

Right away I knew I would be able to find something just different enough to be the perfect gift. And I was right. The website had many special and one of a kind gifts that I was able to choose from. They had an awesome selection and great prices. Shipping was fast, and my order was well packed.

I will be shopping with them again.

The website is well designed. It is easily navigated. Well laid out and attractive to look at.

Product Selection
Fantastic product selection. Love how many different things there were to choose from

Product Pricing
Can't complain about the pricing. The products are well made and worth every penny.

Customer Service
Customer service was excellent when I called to make sure my order had gone through.

Shipping and Returns
Shipping was great and I haven't returned anything. I will definitely be buying from them again.

• Shipping and Returns:

Uncommon Is An Understatement!

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

I started shopping at Uncommon Goods online store when I needed to find some unique gifts for friends who were celebrating their ten year anniversary at working at the same company. They were all hired at the same time, were part of the same training team and were all promoted within months of each other. To make it an even more interesting scenario, they all worked in an "open office" environment where they shared a huge space between then. Instead of putting up walls or dividers they used the space to brainstorm and come up with creative ways to tackle problems.

Uncommon Goods has a wide variety of products but their food offerings are what I always look at first. For my friends I wanted to get a tea service or at the very least something that they could all use to make afternoon tea. I knew that while a little on the expensive side, the "Teas From Around The World" sampler would be something that they would absolutely love (and they did!). I also ordered them a set of "The Face Mug" that looks amazing when you have some cookies in the bottom of it but you can also put a couple of mini cupcakes, mini tarts or a small slice of cake in the slot.

The prices aren't what I would consider high but if you are on a budget or are shopping for more than a couple of items you are going to want to look for things that are on sale. My friends loved their items and were so happy that it was a group gift so no one felt like someone got something better or nice than someone else. The items arrived a day earlier than I expected and were perfectly package; I was able to wrap everything and put the smaller presents on a large thick plastic serving tray that they use when they have their afternoon tea. I will use the site when I need a unique or odd gift for one of my unique or odd friends.

Product Pricing
Some items are expensive but the products are unique, function and amazingly cool

Fun Place to Find Great Gifts

from MI

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

UncommonGoods.com is a really great website that is fun to shop around on for yourself or others as well.

UncommonGoods.com is a website that sells probably some of the most interesting and unique items on the web. What I love about this website is that the items that you will buy here can probably not be found any other place, making them truly one of a kind. They sell things like - a puzzle-piece-pizza stone, or, an engraved cutting board, or a row boat salt set. It's just a really cool store that carries really fun and interesting items.

The website is really easy to navigate through. Everything is nicely organized by category, and all items or clearly pictured and the price is displayed and easy to see.

The one downside to UncommonGoods.com is the shipping. There really is no flat-rate fee option, and the price of shipping continues to increase as the price of your order increases. So that is a negative in my opinion. I like when you reach a certain dollar amount and then shipping is free, or even a flat rate option is nice, too.

Otherwise, I think it's a fun place to find really cool and unique gifts for other or yourself.

Really Fun Quirky Shopping

from Hartford, CT

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

I stumbled on this site a couple years ago and come back at least once a year for holiday shopping. There are so many different, interesting, unique, fun and funny items for sale.

Once year I bought my mom, who likes to write notes to herself, a pad of paper made from recycled elephant poop. I find all sorts of interesting Star Trek paraphernalia for my father. Really cool barware, funny t shirts, strange books - this site's name, Uncommon Goods, speaks for itself.

I love this site for gift giving. It's not necessarily hard to navigate, however you'll probably want to browse vs. search and narrow down the selection. The fun is in what you can find that you didn't know you were looking for. The prices range, it's not super expensive but it isn't dirt cheap either (suppose that makes sense for such strange niche items) but I find that when you see that ONE thing that you know a loved one will just get a kick out of, it's worth it.

Something for everyone

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

Overall, this site has a big variety of unique gifts. The items on this site are different than most big retail stores. I like that I can sort by american made, handmade, or recycled. So many categories to sort by that it makes to easy to find a great gift quickly. They often have sales or emails with discounts in them. Its easy to order and even easier if you have an account.

Product Selection
This site really has something for everyone for every occasion.

Product Pricing
Most items are affordable, but some artists charge a lot for some of their stuff. There is still a big selection of reasonably priced gifts. If I had to guess, I would say 80% affordable and 20% not so much.

Customer Service
I've never needed to call or chat with them because every order I've placed over the years has been correct.

Shipping and Returns
Never had to return any items. Shipping has been straight forward and they offer plenty of shipping speeds.

• Shipping and Returns:

Huge selection of fun and unique gifts

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

If you are shopping for the person who has everything but you still want to get them a gift, this site is the place. It is also great for unique wedding gifts. Or even if you just want to splurge and get something fun and different for yourself. They carry everything from wine glasses to wall art to jewelry and apparel. There are so many quirky and fun products that the only down site to the site is that you will probably be sucked in looking at each category and the "related items" because they are so much fun. I highly recommend checking out this site when you are shopping for your next gift. You will probably find some great things you can use to treat yourself as well!

The site is extremely user friendly. You can easily search by category, key word and price.

Product Selection
The selection of products is fantastic. There is a great mix of products in all price levels. They do tend to have a lot more higher priced items, but that is to be expected when so many of them are personalized.

Product Pricing
I love the products. They are fun and original and you can't find them anywhere else. But because of those factors, most products are fairly pricey. You can't blame them for charging what they do, but I would like to see more of a selection of the types of products they sell in the under $50 range.

Customer Service
This site offers a live chat option which is extremely useful, especially since you might have a lot of questions because so many of their items are personalized. They also have an easy to use phone system and are very quick to respond to emails.

Shipping and Returns
Very quick and affordable (or free) shipping.

• Shipping and Returns:

Looking for a unique gift?

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

First off, I gave this site a 7/10 for one reason only. The prices are a bit high. Other than that, I give it a perfect 10!

This site is the most unique, quirky site I have seen. The perfect place to get a fun gift or a gift for someone who ''has it all'' already.

The site is easy to navigate. Towards the top there are tabs that you can click on to help you narrow in who the gift is for. They have gift categories or you can shop by gender, age, etc. This has proven to be a useful thing for me, as their selection is enormous!

My last purchase was a funky wine rack. I paid about $70 for it, but the quality and uniqueness was well worth it to me.

They also have a program where ANYTHING you buy can be returned at any time. All orders come with a lifetime return/exchange.

If you like recycled items, they have a great selection of only recycled products, which are very fun to browse and perhaps buy.

Go check this site out! You can search for the most bizarre things in their search bar and odds are, they will have something.

Exactly what it sounds like.

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

I do more window shopping on uncommongoods.com than almost any other website. I love to go on there and just browse around and look at all the cool, very different items they sell. My favorite section to look through is the handmade section. Sometimes I don't even have intention to buy anything and just want to get ideas for fun craft projects or art pieces. Everything they sell is just special, there's no other word for it.

The website has a really cute layout, complete with a nice color scheme and ads that move to make it more interesting. I also really like that you can search for all kinds of gifts and just narrow the search by a price range. No matter your budget, they have great stuff you can get that you won't be able to find anywhere else.

Overall, it's just a really fun site to look around on and you'll probably find yourself buying a lot of things you didn't even know you needed.

Amazing selection of unique goods

from Marlton, NJ

Comments about UncommonGoods.com:

Uncommon goods is right-this store has the most unique selection of gifts outside of etsy on the Internet.

Uncommon goods has gifts for everybody on your list. Babies, check. Couples, check. Mom, check. The selection is vast and diverse- everything from jewelry to pottery to walk decor is here.

I've bought a few gifts from here and have been very satisfied. Many of the gifts were only available on this website. Although the gifts were unique, they were all very reasonably priced. There's a huge selection under $25 and under $50. A sample of the gifts available right now-wine soap, scotch making kit, ticket stub diary, jewelry made from beach sand or baseball stadiums, wooden martini glasses...and the list goes on.

Besides being unique, many of the items are hand-made or by small businesses and many of them are made from recycled or reclaimed materials. It's nice to support small businesses that are trying to do good.

Look on this website for your next gift-giving occasion and you won't be upset.