1.4
US Bank

US Bank

1.4

A top notch financial insitution

US Bank is one of the best banks that I have been affiliated with both as a customer and as an employee. They have competitive interest rates, great products for all types of financial situations, and for the most part great employees. I find it unfair for all who say the entire bank is bad and terrible due to one unpleasant experience, or because they are unable to figure out how to operate online banking. I personally have not always had great customer service during personal banking transactions, but that is at any company. People work there, people have bad days, and some people can just be rude from time to time. No it does not make it right or acceptable but the entire company is not horrible because of a couple of rude employees. They have a great customer service line that is open 24/7 so that questions may be addressed as soon as possible. Some things may have to wait like mortgage questions have their own line, and no they are not open 24/7 but it is unreasonable to expect institutions to be available any moment there is a whim. This bank has done a lot for me and gone above and beyond in many ways. I encourage you to go in and have an experience for yourself, I believe you will have a great personal experience.

If You Want to Trust Your Bank, Stay Away from US Bank

There's only one word that can describe US Bank - greed.

There's only one word that can describe US Bank - greed.

Our experience with US Bank began in 2006, when we made the switch about our old bank, UMB, decided to have a computer malfunction for a few days when we couldn't touch our money. To make matters worse, their customer service lines weren't open 24/7. After this, we made the switch.

At first it was fine. You get free checks (initially) and a free debit card, fully customized of course. There are branches anywhere, meaning that when we made the move to our new neighborhood about 20 miles away from our first home, we easily found a branch. There was even a branch that was open on Sundays in a Price Chopper down the road.

Then we overdrafted. I understand that it was our fault - I'm not denying that. However, let's say I had $30 in my account, bought a new book for $35 and cashed a check all on the same day. Guess what? They would consider that $35 through and put a $38 overdraft fee on it, even though we had just cashed a check.

Okay, so maybe I understand that. Once again - our fault.

Note: You should know the overdraft charges - if you overdraft, day 1 of each charge if nearly $40 and each day until you pay (or hit $800) is $14. I don't like it, but hey - they have a business to run to. You can always have the money overdrawn pulled from a savings account or charged to a credit card.

Of course, when it's our money coming OUT, they are the first ones to speak up. If it's money coming IN and they mess up, there is no rush. My husband gets an auto-deposit for his work, and one pay day we noticed that his money was missing. Funny, it wasn't just our account but ALL of his coworkers who banked at US Bank too. We pressured them to fix it and sure enough, there was the money. They called it a computer processing error.

To top it off, here is the kicker - mysterious charges they can't explain. We were doing fine. Let's say we had $20.00 in our account and made a $17.00 purchase. That would mean we had $3.00 left in our account. For some unexplainable reason, they added 7 (count ‘em)...7 overdraft charges. It turns out that although we cashed a $400 the few days earlier, only $100 of that money was actually live. The rest of it was being held for a few days. This means that we went into an overdraft, despite having cashed the check. Had we not been paying attention, we would have had to pay ALL of those charges, despite the fact that the money was there.

In addition to this, they like pushing their credit cards. They had no problem calling us at home and spending 10 minutes telling us how we needed this credit card. We don't use credit cards. Saying NO to them wasn't enough.

My advice for people questioning big banks - leave. They will NEVER treat you like a hometown bank. They are run purely by greed and filled with people who just want to get you to overdraft, even by one cent ... even if you just cashed a check, because that's the way to get your money. I need to know that at the end of the day I can trust where my money is.

*UPDATE*

We decided to give US Bank one last chance. Switching banks is a headache due to direct withdraw for two businesses. We figured we would wait until 2010 to make the final decision.

Our debit cards expire in January 2010, so I wasn't surprised when my husband's new card arrived. I was surprised when my new card didn't arrive. I waited a week. And then two. Now on our third week, we gave them a call - we expected a stock answer that pretty much cleared them of any wrong doing.

Instead we found out that when we went into the bank to change our address THREE YEARS ago, they only changed my husband's address. At least, that's what they said. Despite the fact I've received mail from them at our current address for these three years, they apparently didn't update it. The debit card was sent to our old address, leaving our bank account vulnerable to anyone.

We spoke with customer service - all they could say was how sorry they were it was their mistake. Of course, we would have to go to a local branch to request a new one. They wouldn't even deactivate the card. We called the local branch where we were told that we were being an inconvenience as this person had a line. Finally we called the branch manager, who is now overnighting the card to us on their expense. It only took 90 minutes worth of phone calls.

Call me crazy, but this is no way to treat customers. We're done with US Bank.

**UPDATE**

Life sure has a way of kicking you for not keeping your word. We didn't end up ending our relationship with US Bank, primarily because life situations (sick grandparent, terrible weather, etc) prevented us. We decided we would just stick with it until the spring.

Well, about a week and a half ago, a US Bank rep called my husband and we discovered someone had stolen his debit card number. We were told that most likely it was a computer program that randomly dialed in number and expiration dates until they had a hit. It's impossible to say.

Let me tell you - having your account compromised is just plain awful. My husband took the day off to figure out what we needed to do next. Our local police department informed us that they could do nothing until they received a "affidavit of fraud" letter from our bank. He headed to our local branch, where the teller informed us that it was against the law to have this letter faxes to us. Instead, it could only be mailed to us.

Well, obviously my husband wanted to be able to do SOMETHING. Between he and the branch manager, more than 20 people in 20 different areas of the US Bank was called and every single one gave a different answer. Finally one woman declared that of course it was possible!

She was wrong. It wasn't possible. We found that out an hour later. The charges had to be posted to our account first, which could take up to a week.

Great. At this point my husband is really quite frustrated. Since his debit card is now canceled, he requests a temporary one to get him though the next few days. They agree, give it to him and inform him that he should just throw it away when the new one comes in the mail.

Despite feeling completely ignored, we just took a big sigh and went on our merry way. The big guys were in control. The fraud had been caught and stopped.

Now, this is where things get a little funny:

1) My husband was able to get a great deal of information from the merchants where our card had been used. Heck, the police department in the town where a laptop was sent to actually is taking our case seriously. It took about 15 minutes of calling. The US Bank Fraud Department STILL hasn't touched our case.

2) You can imagine our surprise when we received 2, count 'em TWO, new debit cards in the mail...both for my husband. He called the US Bank customer service department, where he was told they couldn't look up his account using his social security number (first lie) and next they had no idea why he had two cards. After more than 45 minutes of calling, he has been hung up on once and mocked once. There are still no answers because he has been instructed to call back on Monday. Today is Saturday.

The world doesn't stop on the weekends and neither does our frustration.

Customer Service

from Franklin, Ohio

Comments about US Bank:

Customer Service very slow and will red tape you to death causing you to do all the leg work while they sit on rear!

The worst bank EVER ! Zero Stars

from McAllen, TX

Comments about US Bank:

Purchased a vehicle in McAllen Texas. The dealer uses US Bank as one of theirnew car loan lenders. I never received a welcome package so to speak with my account number and where to send payments. I actually had to go back to the dealer and ask the finance department to get the info I needed to make a payment which was due in five days. A 30 day time frame from the original purchase. Since I have an account with Experian, that monitors my credit, I got an alert as to the new purchase and wanting to know if I had originated the loan or not. During the set up of my account on US Bank website, it was noted that my address was incorrect, my name was spelled wrong twice, giving me two new aliases and a new address that I never lived at reported to all three credit bureaus. After contacting US Bank customer service, their reply to my situation
was to give me phone numbers to the credit bureaus, which I could call to dispute the erroneous information, which they caused and created due to complete carelessness on their part. I just wish I had another avenue of moving this loan to someone who cares about customer service.
MLW

Never bank with USBank

from Federal Way WA

Comments about US Bank:

I got a Fred Meyer loyalty card with these guys. It was a headache from the get go. Poor online/phone customer service. The bunch in the local branch weren't any better. Even after I closed the card out an automatic payment was made. Their customer service is telling me it's going to take me 2 weeks to get my money back. Keep away from USBank. I've always had good service from Chase.

Nightmare

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about US Bank:

My mortgage was transferred after I had set up automatic payments to US Bank and as a result my account ended up delinquent because THEY designated a due date of Feb 28. Because that date did not exist I spent the next 3 months talking to people and each one said they would correct the situation Still a mess.

very very bad

Comments about US Bank:

All I hoped was that they hold some of my money and provide an accurate accounting. I thought it would be handy to have some of my money in a bank which had a branch in a supermarket - big mistake, good thing I have plenty of accounts at other financial institutions.

No one seems to know anything

Comments about US Bank:

If i could give this place a 0 I would. I had an auto loan through them when the vehicle was totaled. The insurance paid and gap covered the difference. i was told when I called to report the loss that there was nothing to worry about. as long as I remained in contact for the completion of everything, the account would remain in good standing. so, I called every week to check on the process and was told all was well. 2 months after the loss, my credit report shows a 30day late payment. come to find out they had not processed the insurance payment despite having the check for over a month and they refused to fill out the form required by my gap insurance to send out payment. They had told me the paperwork was complete in a previous conversation. Finally, I am through with the bank and I will never do business with them again. I will also be sure to tell everyone I know to avoid them as well.

Veterans Beware

Comments about US Bank:

I am a US Air Force Vietnam Veteran and this company has done everything they can to ruin my life with un-ethical practices the worst customer service of any financial institution in the united states.
I put my home up for sale with a very reputable Real Estate company in Virginia due to an employment transfer from my employer. UU BANK denied all offers, they also denied short sale and every other way we tried to sell my home. It was foreclosed on in 2012 by them and sold to the veteran’s administration on November 4, 2013. They purposely left the home in my name after they foreclosed on it in 2012 just to punish me for them having to foreclose and my filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy, so they could not try to make me pay the difference of the sale price and what was owed on the mortgage. As a result i am not able to get another VA home loan until a year after the November 4 2013 sale date. They should be banned from VA Home loans as they have the rudest customer service people of any company known to man, and the mortgage industry. If I had the money I would retain an attorney and sue them, but living on social that is not an option.
They have chosen to destroy any chance of me getting another VA home loan anytime in the near future, my wife and I were trying to get our home back as it is on the market for less than I originally paid for it. Another point that I would like to make is that I was never late on any mortgage payment.

US Bank Business Cash Rewards Card

Comments about US Bank:

They're customer service is horrible. There was an error on my account that prevented me from signing up for online banking. I spent 4 days trying to get it fixed and lost track of the number of people I spoke to. Each person told me a different story. None of them actually helped me fix the problem. Also, there is no comment section on their website or way to email their customer service. So you have to call and wait up to 10 minutes on hold, just to be transferred again. I will never use this company again.

A top notch financial insitution

from Brooklyn Center, MN

Comments about US Bank:

US Bank is a joke and filled with liars and charlatans.

Comments about US Bank:

We have our mortgage through them.We recently tried to get an additional 20 thousand for repairs and such.We went through Jeff Frazier.As we were signing up he was raving about how good our credit scores were and lack of debt.We waited weeks before anything was sent off on there end.When we tried to call Mr.Frazier he took his time to call back.That was the 1st call.We're STILL waiting for the 2nd call.He refuses to call even after we received our rejection letter.We were rejected for and I quote The debt to income ratio is insufficient and their valuing of the house is lower then ANYONE ELSE says it is worth.The only debt is our house and 2 credit cards that are store credit cards.One has 800 on it the other about 1000.Tell me how that is too much debt?This is such bull that I don't have words to fully describe the us bank vermin.I will NEVER try to get anything through them again.