2.2

2.2

Pros

Cons

• In-Flight Accommodations:

By today's standards, a good airline

I fly within the USA no less than 15 times a year, which I think of as fairly frequently. When I lived overseas, I travelled by air even more frequently - including international travel. I think I have a pretty decent idea of what passes for decent service these days. That said, it must also be said that the level of airline service I expect these days doesn't, in any way, measure up to what I would have expected just six or seven years ago. It's pretty obvious to anyone who travels by air that flight attendants are exected to do a lot more, in the way of housekeeping, and that services to travellers have been cut down to the bare bones. Given the fact that the natrue of air travle has changed somuch int he last few years, I think it's important to rate airlines based on what we can realistically expect today - not based on what we used to expect.

I find myself flying from San Francisco to Tampa several times a year these days, as my folks live in Florida. I've flown several airlines and concluded that US Airways is the best bet. They don't seem to overbook as much as other airlines do. They operate on time more often than other airlines I've flown this route (such as Delta.) I find US Airways is the easiest of all the domestic carriers, when it comes to getting the seat I've requested. No airline offers free meals on domestic flights anymore, but US Airways actually has fairly decent food for sale. I also find the flight crews on US Airways flights are a lot cheerier than those on Delta or American Airlines. As for the cost of flying, US Airways and Dleta usually offer similar fares for the routes I travel. Interestingly enough, Jet Blue, the celebrated discount airline, is always more expensive, when it comes to te SF-Tampa route. Lastly, US Airways honors the same frequent flyer plan as United and Air New Zealand - the two airlines I use when I travel overseas and rack up serious miles.

Flying domestically is no walk in the park these days, but I choose US Airways, whenever possible.

US Errways is Consistent at Only One Thing: Failure!

After any long trip, almost everyone has at least one travel nightmare to tell. Fortunately we had only one, but it involved **US Airways**, as it always seems to when we travel. Because we frequently fly out of Charlotte, one of US Airways largest hubs, our international flight plans always involve flying on their airline. This is unfortunate, since US Airways is the biggest failure of an airline I have ever had the misfortune of flying, and I've flown some pretty messed-up airlines. This time, we witnessed US Airways' supreme incompetence before we even left our house, and they continued to screw up, with alarming consistency, until we landed back in Charlotte.

**Reservation Screwups and US Airways' own Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde**My husband reserved our seats on three flights from US Airways in February of this year. Our reservation confirmation included our seat numbers, which he'd chosen as 9A and 9B, on all three of our flights. The day of our departure I figured we would try "online check-in" through US Airways' website. I typed in our reservation number, and instead of finding our seat assignments as they were listed on our confirmed reservation printout, I saw that US Airways had switched our seats. We were now sitting thirty rows apart on our international flight!

My husband called US Airways and they argued with him that there was *no way* he could have reserved the seats that were shown on our reservation confirmation. They refused to help, stating that we would have to go to the airport to check-in manually and request seats together.

We arrived at the airport several hours early, so we'd have plenty of time to deal with the problem. We met up with a counter agent who seemed helpful. She sat us together in 8A and 8B. She gave us our tickets and we immediately stepped out of line: Only to find that she had given us **two boarding passes with MY name on both!**

We got back into line and were waved over by Jonathan Asher, US Airways' very own Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Working the priority check-in line, which was empty, he called us over and we showed him our two boarding passes and explained our predicament with my name showing up on both. We started out on great terms. We said, "Can you help us?" He said, "Oh I can make all your dreams come true," in a joking voice. Then he printed out our new boarding passes: Which no longer reflected 8A and 8B as our seats, **but instead had us seated dozens of rows apart again!**

My husband noted the seat change and said, "No please give us 8A and 8B, the seats we just had. We only need to have our names changed on one boarding pass." This is when Mr. Asher began behaving in a disconcertingly unstable manner. His demeanor instantly switched as he became alarmingly rude, sternly yelling at us impatiently, "I can't help you at all you'll have to go to the gate to change your seats!" My husband stood firm and said, "The woman down there just switched our seats to 8A and 8B, so I know you can switch our seats. Our boarding passes, which you just tore up and threw in the trash, said 8A and 8B. You can look at them to confirm that. We don't need you to do anything but switch one name on those two seats."

Mr. Asher stormed off to the other woman's counter without a word of explanation to us. Jay began to walk down to her counter so she would recognize him and understand that she had just helped us until Mr. Asher aggressively yelled at my husband from three counters away, threatening him by telling him to go back to where he was if he wanted any help at all. I have never witnessed any employee, *anywhere*, as unstable or nasty as Mr. Asher, who was treating us as if we were in the wrong, when in fact we were victims of ongoing incompetence from multiple US Airways employees - and most especially, the incompetence of Jonathan Asher himself!

After consulting with the woman, who in fact confirmed what we had just told him, Mr. Asher did another crazy switch, becoming more subdued and acting decently, if not somewhat disturbingly detached and vacuous, as he approached us again. Without apology and in a monotone voice, he explained that 8A and 8B were unavailable for some reason after he cancelled our boarding passes, but that they had managed to find us two seats together again. He handed us our boarding passes and dismissed us, as if his lunatic outburst had never happened, leaving us shaken. I really wondered if Mr. Asher had an emotional disorder, given how completely detached and subdued he suddenly became within mere seconds. His extreme mood swings, going from crazily unbelievably high and jovial when we greeted him, to unbelievably low and vicious, and then back to monotone and detached and vacuous, was incredibly disturbing.

Fortunately our major psychodrama with US Airways on our trip ended when we left Jonathan Asher behind, but we were shaken at the very start of our trip because of his rude and unfathomably unstable behavior. We went through security, still wondering what on earth caused Mr. Asher to turn abusive so quickly, but relieved to finally be able to board our flight seated together.

**Other Joys of US Airways**Our flight was uneventful, on a US Airways Airbus 330. Unfortunately, the in-flight entertainment system didn't work properly. I have yet to fly a US Airways transatlantic flight where it worked as advertised. They had to "reboot" the system four times, and even then, my in-flight entertainment system didn't work. My husband's didn't work on a different flight. Other low-lights of our US Airways experience included seats that wouldn't recline, somewhat inedible food and excessive delays on our return flights.

Travelling internationally? You'll need to bring a pen! Unlike United and Lufthansa, US Airways doesn't pass out any writing instruments along with their customs and immigration forms. Other airlines usually have the decency to provide those tiny "golf" pencils to flyers to assist with filling out their forms, but US Airways doesn't waste money on such luxuries. No, you'll need your own pen, or you'll need to borrow one from a seatmate. I found that asking one of the flight attendants to borrow a pen only resulted in a grumpy, "No you'll need to find your own" even if they were carrying pens in-hand! Yes, US Airways is *just that cheap*.

I know the airline industry has had it rough in the past six years, but US Airways is really the worst of the crop these days.

**Cat's Bottom Line**US Airways does only one thing consistently: screw up. And when they do screw up, they seem to do it royally. I wouldn't recommend US Airways to anyone looking for a pleasant or on-time flight -- or stable airline employees!

Perfect flight, great employees

from East Berlin CT

Comments about US Airways:

I read a lot of negative reviews before my flight.
My story: Hartford to Charlotte to Jacksonville and return.
All flights right on time. All employees were very helpful and pleasant.
Jacksonville even had an assistant for you at the kiosks.
Seats were very soft and comfortable.
Will definetly fly with them again.

Stuck at OAJ for two extra days!!!

Comments about US Airways:

Because it took the airline SO LONG to finally cancel our flight (well after flights that were supposed to take off after ours had been cancelled) we ended up being stranded in Jacksonville unable to return home until Sunday 6/21/2015. All other flights departing the next day had already been totally booked because all flights AFTER OURS were cancelled before ours!!! There were no rental cars available or we would have driven to another city to fly out. Also, because there were no rentals we had to pay for taxi service to and from a hotel (which we also had to pay for out of our own pockets), etc. during our unplanned stay...of TWO EXTRA DAYS. I realize the delay was caused by the weather, BUT considering it was the airline that "forgot" to cancel our flight until all others had been cancelled, causing all other departures to be fully booked, I would have expected some type of compensation since the additional delay of our departure was so significant. Not only did we miss several events because we were not able to return home on time, we were also out the expense of hotel rooms, meals, and transportation while in Jacksonville....just waiting to finally be able to return home. I would think the airline in a sign of good faith would at least have the decency to throw some free flight vouchers our way. At this point as it stands nothing has been offered. This will be posted as a review on every site I can find so others will be aware of the customer service to be expected.

Boooooooooooooooo

from Hell

pls. why

Worst planes and First Class of all airlines

from Dallas, TX

Comments about US Airways:

Their planes haven't been updated since the 90's. Cramped and horribly uncomfortable. I do not recommend. The first class is not worth an extra dollar of cost. Seats don't recline, zero amenities and food is non existent. They have taken air travel to a new low.

I wouldn't choose them again

Comments about US Airways:

I have had to fly US Airways in the recent past but I would not choose to do so again. I would pay more to fly another carrier. They book changing flights too close together and know you are going to miss your connection but don't inform you. They do go ahead and book you on the next flight, which can be helpful but not when you miss a meeting by doing so.

I wouldn't recommend this to a friend or enemy

My worse flight ever!

from Grand Rapids, Michigan

Comments about US Airways:

I traveled with US Airways this pass weekend! At the end of my trip I arrived at the air port 2 hours before my flight time to be told my flight had been delayed.(later I leaned it was already cancelled) The agent at the ticket counter said the delay was about two hours, so I hung around the airport waiting. Later I returned to the ticket counter to be told the flight had been cancelled. The customer service person then offered me a ticket that connected me through Chicago. with my connecting flight the following day. so I asked where was I to sleep in Chicago. He replied that no airline gives accommodations for inconvenience due to weather. I explained my situation to the agent at the counter and he replied that it wasn't US Airway's problem. I asked to speak with a supervisor and the supervisor repeated that US Airways gives no accommodations due to weather. looking at a map of the US on my phone and seeing no major storm across the country I decided to call US Air ways customer service line. the phone call was answered quickly, I told my story, and then I was transferred to be left on hold for over a half hour before the line hung up. My conversations back at the service desk I had asked if I was going to be compensated in any way, and was told no. I tried to find a hotel and all the hotels were booked surrounding the airport. Needless to say I spent the night in the airport. spending so much time in the airport gave me a viewing point for how all the airlines were handling this. it appeared that only US Air ways was customers were spending the night in the airport. Later I learned that my connecting flight in Philly had been cancelled early in the morning and the airline had known that all day. They had my email, and my cell phone number. They could of texted me or called me before I had checked out of my hotel. They could of told me from the beginning that my flight was cancelled oppose to stringing me on. The next day my flight out was over booked by 57 seats. I will never fly US Air again! Returning to work and telling my story about US airways Customer Service started half my office sharing with me why they refuse to fly with them.

Beyond your worst nightmare!!!

from MKE, WI

Comments about US Airways:

Booked Hawaii trip more than 3 months in advance. AA & US Air merge & flights are cancelled. New flights have bad times & NO assigned seats when traveling with small children. Phone hold times exceed hours every time as we try to look for better options & confirm. Again flights are changed seats are all over plane & NO attempt to help us sit together for 8 hour flight with kids. Topped off by Return flight cancellation the day of flight, stuck in Hawaii, no flight for 2 days, no help with accommodations. Made flight to mainland, but now stuck in PHX only to find out after waiting on standby all day the next flight we were confirmed for tomorrow will not fit my family of 4. Next step will be a long drive home. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again!!! Rude airport personnel, No support on phone. Was willing to take any flight to get me close to home on any airline, but nothing. Parents miss 2 more days of work & Kids will miss at least 2 more days of school. Worst experience ever & my poor patient children.

Poor customer service

Comments about US Airways:

I recently had a flight through US Airways. I was traveling with my husband who is a Navy Sailor and our 15 month old son. My husband is stationed in Norfolk, Virginia and he received ten days of leave for Christmas. We traveled to Colorado to visit family and the day we had to travel back to Norfolk, our 15 month old son woke up with the flu. He was throwing up nonstop and since he is so young he could not warn us when he was going to throw up; therefore, he was projectile vomiting and we could not control it. My husband and I both called US Airways multiple times trying to change our flight to a later day. US Airways had us on the phone for at least thirty minutes each time we called them and we were limited on time considering our flight was that day. All we asked was to change the flight for at least one day later so our son could have some time to recover. We were concerned about our son’s health and US Airways was not understanding or considerate. We were also worried about other passenger’s health, clothing, and personal belongings because our son could not control where he threw up so we were worried that he would throw up on other passengers. US Airways did not do anything for my family other than offer us a change of flight for several hundred dollars, which we could not afford considering my husbands limited income. We had no choice but to travel while our son was very ill. Once we got to the airport, my husband and I had to ask to switch our seats with another family so we could sit in the very back next to the bathroom. We had to take our son in the bathroom several times to clean him and ourselves. I am very disappointed that US Airways was not concerned about the health of their passengers.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

The last time I used this airline, it was a disaster!

from Upper Marlboro, MD

Comments about US Airways:

The last time I flew using US Airways, I swear I'll never use them again.
My son flew US Airways not too long ago from BWI to Ontario, but he had no complaints.
I guess there's a difference between a small US Airways plane compared to a huge 747 one. personally, I'll have second thought if there's no other plane to catch.

Service
I got my flight, my boarding pass alright, but what happened after that was horror. I wasn't expecting a small plane. It was so small I almost turned around and not get on it cause I knew it would be a rough ride, like those small, private planes you see in the movies. The flight stewardess was Hispanic yet friendly and she explained all the safety features, exits, etc. Really, there was no food, no drink offered and the passengers looked like people who are commuting to work using the train, metrobuses or subways. There were no business people at all and you can see everyone cause it was such a small plane, maybe about 30'-40' feet long.
I was not happy at all and thought it was a joke.

In-Flight Accommodations
I flew from BWI to New York, but the plane was small and crampy. I had to sit next to the restroom where the door opens and shuts constantly because everybody was using it. It was a very scary ride because the engine sounded like a lawn mower and it was loud. Another thing, there was an air pocket from the beginning of the flight to the end and the plane was vibrating up, down and sideways throughout the ride and everyone going to the restroom were hitting my seat and elbow rest all the time. My thought was the plane was going to crash.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

A regular part of my travel resources

from chicago Illinois

Comments about US Airways:

I love them. Simply put, they are wonderful in what they offer and even more wonderful in how they do business. They are very consumer oriented and appear to care a great deal about the people they see every day and the services they do provide. I love the work they do in communities, giving back by sponsoring neighborhoods and sports teams.

Service
I use this airline mainly when I visit Canada, and I have been pleased with them every since I began using them many years ago. I love that they actually take care of you and make sure that they have covered every aspect of your trip with you before the end of the interaction with them. This airline really does go out of its way to make you a welcome part of their family.

In-Flight Accommodations
They offer every kind of accommodation you can think of, which is why I love the service they offer and I love the type of airline image that they portray each time I have flown with them.