3.5

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:

Good service, great reception.

I've had service through US Cellular for about six years, and during that time I haven't had one single bad experience.  That says a lot.  I have reliable reception, even when I'm out of town.  The only place it doesn't seem to pick up well is hilly or areas will mountains.

We recently added a phone for my son for only $ 20.00 more dollars a month!  The phone I selected for him was through US Cellular and it only cost me a penny!  ONE CENT!  It's just a basic flip phone, but that's all an eleven year old needs!  And what do you know, two weeks ago he lost the phone.  SIGH.  Well, fortunately we had insurance on it so we ordered a new one for him at the deductible price of $ 50.00.  However, while we wait for his new phone to arrive, US Cellular lets him use a "loaner" phone from their office for free.  The loaner phone is so awesome, he wants to keep it for good.

When I receive my monthly statement, I'm not overwhelmed with it.  It's easy to read, the charges are clear, and I get to see how many minutes we've all used.  With the family plan, our calls are free after 7:00pm, we get 24 hour free incoming calls, and our weekends are free as well.  For us, it's a perfect plan.

after many years they dropped so many calls that I dropped them

I've been living in the Chicago area for more than 40 years now, and US Cellular was my first cell phone service, back to the days when they were called PrimeCo and their little pink guy was their spokesperson.

At the start of my term, maybe 10-15 years ago, they had good service within the Chicago area and nice prices for service plans. The biggest con was that they were a regional, not national, carrier and the national plans were more expensive. That didn't matter to me much because I didn't travel for business much.

Then, about 4 years ago, I updated to a Blackberry Curve and problems started. The phone would lock up while browsing and, worse, there were really bad dead zones at my day job. Between the Curve and the dead zones, I was disgusted.

I tried aligning the phone to the nearest tower and lots of other things, including replacing the phone under warranty and nothing worked.

So, I ate the remainder of my contract fee and went to Verizon for the Blackberry Storm and, later, the Droid X.

I cannot recommend US Cellular Cell Phone Service on Chicago.

Please check out other reviews on my member page and at  www.jazzobsession.com/technology_reviews.htm.

Call Quality
my last office was in a BAD dead zone

Coverage
regional, not national

Plan Options
decent plan options but did not have the iphone

Features
The features were competitive.

Customer Service
they couldn't solve the dead zone problem.

Horrible service

from Creston, Iowa

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

I waited in the store for almost an hour before being helped. Other customers were being helped before me although I made it apparent I was still waiting. & also called ahead of time to say I was coming in and needed a quick visit. I felt ignored and disrespected. I would not recommend coming here or getting service here. I also spent my day communicating on the phone with them and after 7 calls I was told to come into the store for help. Very irritating experience. Will not do it again

Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide - Terrible!

from Tulsa, Oklahoma

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

My Wife, myself and all 4 of our children went with US Cellular way back when.... When we got the service we had "unlimited data"! After having the service for over 10 years, suddenly we did not have the same plan and received an enormous bill from them. We called to complain and told them we had unlimited data, to which they responded saying WE called in and changed our plan. Really!? We are going to take our kids off of unlimited data and replace with a plan that has less data than we actually use? Of course we couldn't get through to them that we did NOT change our plan and paid the bill and told everyone to not exceed said data. Well, the next month came and we got an even higher bill that confused us because we had been watching our data usage. Our monitoring did not match what they said we used, go figure. Paid that bill. I had kids turn DATA OFF. Guess what? The following bill was DOUBLE the previous month! I skipped over to another company before the service was interrupted and have been harassed with bill collecting calls ever since. If I came into a billion dollars I would not pay US Cellular a penny for their unlawful tactics of first changing our plan, then charging us absorbient overage fees, then flat out lying about our usage as our DATA was off and we used the house wifi. This company is a rip off.

Don't do it, stay where you are

from Estherville, ia

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

We switched when Verizon jacked up their prices and it was the worst mistake. From the very beginning it was bad. Said we would get $200 credit for each smartphone we sent it, they gave us $8 for one and $16 for the other. Didn't sent me a first bill, tried to pay, didn't get credited to right account, shut off service, charged $125 to reconnect, never got second bill, third bill was late and for two months. No service once you got close to MN border even though we visited store only about 35 miles from border. Long wait times for customer service, never got the same answer twice from anyone. Suffered for two years until contract was up and then they were almost impossible to get rid of. Didn't shut off one line and tried billing us for it for months. Overall worse company I have ever dealt with, wouldn't go back if they were the last provider on earth.

Rebate Ripoff Stuck Family With Charges

from Green Bay, WI

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

US Cellular's unlimited contract buyout rebate is a scam. We switched from AT&T this year under the promise that they would pay off our existing phones, and two months in they refused to honor their rebate. Now we're stuck with almost $2,000 in charges.

Only for Iphone and Galaxy users

from WI

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

I have been with U.s Cellular for many years (19 or 20), and used to love the selection of phones (before smartphones even), and the way they would give current customers the same offers as new customers got. Now, Unless you only want IPhone or Samsung Galaxy phones, the rest of the line up is almost nil. Samsung phones around me will consistently drop calls in the same place every day. Iphones, just have never gotten into the hype. I like my Motorola phones, and now they don't carry but a mid, and a low level phone. The reception is better than it used to be around here, but don't ask to get the same treatment as they give to new customers anymore. Only if you are coming to them from a different carrier, do you get their top customer service. Once in, they feel they have you tied in. Am currently in process of transferring to a different carrier.

Customer service and changes to bill without telling you.

from Midwest

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

I will be moving to a different carrier. I am never late on my bills, and called to find out why our bill was so high since it shows we paid what we always pay. I was treated rude and told to pay now or lose service. They transferred me to a different department and was told they added $20 more a month to our bill because a promotion was up. The line they say had one has been with them for years. I had better service from Verizon and that isn't saying much.

garbage

from milwaukee wisconsin

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

Worst cell phone company ever. Their towers are few and they have no real tech support that will help you with phone issues.

it work very well

from 14121 NE Airport way

I love it

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

bad service

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

unless you get on us cellular website on a regular basis you will not be informed of any of their promotions. I called to get assistance understanding my bill and could hardly understand the person I was talking to. you end up having to sign a 2 year agreement and then your stuck with poor service and high prices. my family will be ending service with us cellular as soon as our contracts run out.

Worst Customer Service

Comments about U.S. Cellular:

Don't even bother to look at their website for your online account information, it's not current. And there is a huge disconnect between Customer Service, Finance and some "sub-committee" that decides account matters after actions are already took place. Sound vague? Try talking to them about it...

• Call Quality: