3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

Convenient and Affordable if you look hard enough

U-Haul has a whole lot of options and they don't go out of their way to help you find the one that is right for you.
Their moving vehicles range from Large Cargo...Read complete review

Their moving vehicles range from Large Cargo Vans and Pick-Up Trucks to big behemoth box trucks as big as 24 feet long. Obviously the price goes up as the size of the vehicle increases but some price points may surprise you. I found that even though didn't need a huge truck the box truck was best for me. I got the second smallest box truck (14") and somehow it was less expensive than the Pick-up, van, or 10" truck would have been.

I was also able to see a deal on picking up the vehicle at one location and dropping it off at a different location, but I could not see that option from the main page. I tried several combinations with several different options selected when it decided to show me that deal. I then had to play around with the settings every time to get it to show that option.

In the end it all worked out well, I picked up the truck very easily and quickly (I had previously paid online). They did not push the other moving supplies they sell and it was all pretty straightforward. I ended up returning it to the same location I picked it up from since we had to make a second trip and it was less expensive to do that.

Customer Service
U-Haul has decent customer service overall. The website is functional but less than helpful when looking to see ALL of your options. The people at the facility were pleasant and explained everything clearly.

Vehicle Selection
U-Hauls Vehicle Selection is pretty good. They have a wide range of options and will let you know on their website what is in stock for your planned pickup time.

Do not rely on a U-Haul reservation, they don't deliver

Don't rent from U-Haul, they are not reliable, having a reservation means nothing.  In preparation for taking my son down to college, first, my wife and I went to our local U-Haul dealer on 9 August 2008.  We reserved a 10' truck for pickup on 15 August 2008 for a one way trip to Blacksburg VA.  The reservation number was 2828963.We were told that we would be called the evening before to tell us the local dealer we could where we would pick up the truck.As promised, we were called on 14 August and told that we could pick up our reserved truck at the Chantilly, VA location after 4:00 PM on 15 August, but that the truck would be a 14' because no 10' trucks were available.  We agreed to accept a 14' even though that would mean higher fuel costs. On 15 August we were called by U-Haul less than 2 hours before our pickup time and told we would have to go to Winchester, VA to pick up the truck.  Winchester is approximately 50 miles away almost a quarter of the way to Blacksburg.The allowed milage on the truck would have been enough to cover our originally planned trip, but not to cover the addition of the mileage to pick up the truck.  Also we would have had to pay for additional fuel for the truck, plus a 100 miles of fuel for the car to go pick up truck.The local U-Haul refused to pickup the truck in Winchester, and the Winchester store refused to bring it to Chantilly. The local dealer told us we would have to call U-Haul reservations to resolve this issue.  We called the number provided 3 separate times, waiting with a phone ringing up to 25 minutes.  We finally decided to find another source for the truck, because of the short (no) notice, the only thing we could find was going to be approximately $800.00, over 2.5 times the price we had planned.We were forced to change our plans and reschedule our trip until mid-week.  We now have another reservation with another rental company.We had made our plans around the original schedule.  Because we had to change our schedule, we also missed our granddaughters birthday party, had to reschedule the install of cable and internet in Blacksburg, had to reschedule the unload help we had arranged in Blacksburg, both my wife and I had to reschedule dentist appointments, we had to reschedule time off from work, we had to reschedule our dog/house sitter. After, we had rearranged our plans, more than 3 hours after this mess started we were called by U-Haul saying they had a truck in Arlington, much closer, but we had already made a new reservation, and had rescheduled everything except the dentists appointment.Obviously, having a resevation means nothing at U-Haul and I think all potential customers need to know that.I have also entered this same info in the U-Haul customer service site.  I did get an email back asking me to contact them at a given number, despite trying three times I have not been able to get through to the person who sent the email..Also the email contained the following veiled threat:  "You are hereby on notice that this E-mail message is confidential and proprietary. THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IS SPECIFICALLY INTENDED FOR USE BY THE RECIPIENT FOR WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED.  AS THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT OR UNINTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY PROHIBITED FROM ANY DISCUSSION, DISSEMINATION, DISPLAY, DISCLOSURE, REPRODUCTION OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE. ANY THIRD PARTY DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE DELETE."

Move the old fashioned way!

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about U-Haul:

I have used U-Haul's services 3 times in the past. For us, it was much less expensive to rent a truck and have family help than it would have been to hire professional movers. It had several plus sides. The rates for the rental truck were affordable. It required a valid driver's licence and for us to refill the gas tank as well. I liked that it had one of those pull out metal pieces that you can put up to the stairs and easily walk things into the U-Haul van. It also had several belts in our van to harness the large appliances into place. The inside was big enough to where we only had to make 3 full trips during the entire move. The U-Haul rental itself was quite easy - although, we were required to put down a refund-able deposit. I think it was just in case there was any damage to the truck or possibly to ensure it would be returned. The U-Haul staff were very nice and they thoroughly checked the truck to ensure everything was in working order prior to our departure. They were amazingly helpful and the process was handled quickly but also efficiently as well. All of my experiences with U-Haul have been positive thus far. I would recommend them to anyone with confidence. It is less expensive than hiring professional movers by a long shot.

Misleading prices.

from Kansas

Comments about U-Haul:

I wanted to give U-Haul a try when I was moving last year and had a lot of big furniture that couldn't fit into my vehicle. I wanted to rent the U-Haul that was advertised as $19.99. I went to the place to get more information. We only have one U-Haul place in my town and it was not a very high quality looking establishment. I think these must be independently owned because it had a cleaners attached to it and it did not look at all professional. The customer service guy decided to spend half the time I was speaking to him chatting on his phone. I had him tell me how much it would cost beyond the $19.99 because I knew there would be a few fees and whatnot. It ended up being like $55 with fees and tax! I quickly changed my mind on using U-Haul.

I don't recommend U-Haul because not only are their advertised prices misleading but their establishments are not the best quality and either is their customer service.

Customer Service
The man helping me was on his phone half the time he was assisting me!

Vehicle Selection
U-Haul does have a large selection of different vehicles ranging from smaller ones to really big ones.

Rented a U-Haul van

from Chesterton, IN

Comments about U-Haul:

When moving to a new apartment I decided to rent a U-Haul van. I had some rather large furniture that needed to be moved and it wouldn't fit into the sedan I had so my options were either to hire movers or rent something. I opted to rent something because it was considerably cheaper and there wasn't that much to be moved. The advertised price for renting the van is $19.99. In reality after all the taxes and fees you pay about $70. This is far from $19.99 however it is much cheaper than hiring movers.

From what I can tell each U-Haul is individually ran. I checked on Yelp and found the one with the highest reviews. I made the reservation for the van online and when I went to pick it up a few days later it was all ready to go. The place itself was very weird. Not only did they rent U-Hauls but they also sold expensive wool rugs. This is why I think they are individually ran. Regardless of this weird factor the whole thing went pretty smooth. I had the van for 2 hours and had no problems with the whole transaction. I would definitely recommend and do it this way again if I ever needed to move something big.

• Vehicle Selection:

Simply The Best For Self Moving!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about U-Haul:

I love, love, love U-Haul! I have used them several times and have been very pleased each time.

I rented a U-Haul to drag my stuff to college. Since it was in another state I rented in near my home, unloaded my stuff, and then dropped it off near my college. I didn't experience a single issue either picking it up or returning it to a different location.

In the spring I picked up a truck at the location nearest my college and loaded everything back up and dragged it home, returning the truck to the location nearest my home. Again, everything was super easy.

U-Haul is the most basic of all moving rental options but everything was a very good quality. The truck even came with moving blankets for furniture!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is moving, whether you're going across town or across the country. U-Haul is the best company for the job.

One word though, U-Hauls are trucks and do not have comfy seats like passenger vehicles do. Prepare for your butt to fall asleep during a long ride!

Simple and to the point

from Westchester, IL

Comments about U-Haul:

I needed to move my old furniture to my new apartment and needed to rent a truck from U-Haul. I went to the nearest U-Haul location and got a quote for a 1 day rental. I provided all the information needed and the clerk ran my credit. I was approved and I was directed to a lot attendant to get my vehicle. I was given a truck that looked okay on the exterior. There was some scratches and a couple of dents, but it wasn't a big deal. The inside storage area of the truck was a little dirty and there was debris from a previous renter. The attendant apologized for the condition and cleaned it out for me. I was give this truck with a half of tank of gas and only needed $40 dollars to get it back to half after use. I was able to move all of my furniture in only a couple of trips because of the spacious truck. I returned to my local U-Haul where the lot attendant directed me to a spot for inspection. After inspection I went to the cashier to pay for the truck. The total cost was actually lower than the original quote.

Convenient and Affordable if you look hard enough

from Philadelphia, PA

Great for short distances

from Greer, SC

Comments about U-Haul:

We have used Uhaul several times for some of our short distance moving. The company is great to work with, has very reasonable rates, and the employees are polite. Although most of the Uhauls we have rented have been older they have still been in good shape and go the job done. Uhaul has trucks, vans, and trailers in a variety of sizes to fit just about any moving situation you might have. We have used their fifteen passenger can, small trailer, and 26 foot truck. The trucks are easy to load because they are low to the ground. The also stock additional supplies (for purchase) in the back of the truck in case you find yourself in a bind and need them (things like mattress bags, blankets, bubble wrap, a dolly to move things). Their prices per mile are great for around town moving as well. We have been thrilled with our interaction with Uhaul in the past and I'm sure we will use them again in the future.

U-Haul Rentals

Comments about U-Haul:

I have moved more than 6 times in my life, and have always used U-Haul to rent trucks. They have locations almost everywhere in my town and I have found them easy to deal with. Usually when we wanted to rent a truck we could call and ask what they had available, meaning sizes and vans or trucks, or even once we had a small trailer. Once you give them the dates you need for the rental, they will let you know what they have. I always have had good luck getting the truck size we needed, and a few times we took something smaller only because near the end of the month the bigger trucks are all reserved. I have never had bad customer service, usually they talk me through the forms, recommend insurance, tell me I need to put gas in before returning the vehicle, and that's all there is to it. Just be sure when you are the one renting to have a valid license, proof of insurance, and such. They make the process quite easy and I have no complaints with this company.

Pretty average

Standard trucks and vans

• Vehicle Selection:

NEVER had an issue with these guys!

Comments about U-Haul:

I would have to say Uhaul is one of the only places I rent from. Other places are high priced, rude and not convenient.

I live in a small town and we even have a Uhaul store here. They are vast and no matter where you go, there's a good chance one will be near. This makes it convenient to pick up a rental or drop off a rental. I also like that you can rent from one place and return to any other location if you are making a one way trip.

Uhaul always has great offers going on, too. For example, we rented a trailer not too long ago and they offered one month free at any storage facility (which they offer as well).

Customer Service
The gentleman who helped us helped secure the trailer and was very helpful and courteous. Having dealt with Uhaul company many times, I have never come across a rude person or a person who hasn't gone above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed.

Vehicle Selection
Uhaul has a good variety of rentals to choose from. Trucks, vans, moving trucks.They have several different sized trucks, good for moving. They also provide flat trailers at a great price! With each rental, they offer the extras such as trailer hitches and moving boxes. It's a one-stop shop place for all things moving.

• Vehicle Selection:

I chose U-Haul for my moving needs

from Fort Worth, Texas

Comments about U-Haul:

When my husband and I purchased our first new home we decided to use U-Haul to assist in our moving process. I rented a decent size truck from U-Haul and was able to move all of my 800 square foot apartment in one trip. We were also able to move my husbands small apartment in one trip. The rental was extremely cheap although the gas for the truck was quite high but we were still able to move cheaper than we expected. I was very satisfied with my rental experience from U-Haul. I would use U-Haul again for my moving needs. I was able to safely transport all of our belongings then return the U-Haul to the U-Haul facility.

Customer Service
This was my biggest complaint with the U-Haul the customer service associate was really rude. I didn't like the way the rep treated me while I was there trying to rent a truck to move all of my stuff into our new home.

Vehicle Selection
The truck we received was not in the best shape. It was a little banged up but it was a moving truck and so that was to be expected. The great prices make up for all the other short comings of the store.