3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Vehicle Selection:

Convenient and Affordable if you look hard enough

U-Haul has a whole lot of options and they don't go out of their way to help you find the one that is right for you.
Their moving vehicles range from Large Cargo...Read complete review

Their moving vehicles range from Large Cargo Vans and Pick-Up Trucks to big behemoth box trucks as big as 24 feet long. Obviously the price goes up as the size of the vehicle increases but some price points may surprise you. I found that even though didn't need a huge truck the box truck was best for me. I got the second smallest box truck (14") and somehow it was less expensive than the Pick-up, van, or 10" truck would have been.

I was also able to see a deal on picking up the vehicle at one location and dropping it off at a different location, but I could not see that option from the main page. I tried several combinations with several different options selected when it decided to show me that deal. I then had to play around with the settings every time to get it to show that option.

In the end it all worked out well, I picked up the truck very easily and quickly (I had previously paid online). They did not push the other moving supplies they sell and it was all pretty straightforward. I ended up returning it to the same location I picked it up from since we had to make a second trip and it was less expensive to do that.

Customer Service
U-Haul has decent customer service overall. The website is functional but less than helpful when looking to see ALL of your options. The people at the facility were pleasant and explained everything clearly.

Vehicle Selection
U-Hauls Vehicle Selection is pretty good. They have a wide range of options and will let you know on their website what is in stock for your planned pickup time.

Do not rely on a U-Haul reservation, they don't deliver

Don't rent from U-Haul, they are not reliable, having a reservation means nothing.  In preparation for taking my son down to college, first, my wife and I went to our local U-Haul dealer on 9 August 2008.  We reserved a 10' truck for pickup on 15 August 2008 for a one way trip to Blacksburg VA.  The reservation number was 2828963.We were told that we would be called the evening before to tell us the local dealer we could where we would pick up the truck.As promised, we were called on 14 August and told that we could pick up our reserved truck at the Chantilly, VA location after 4:00 PM on 15 August, but that the truck would be a 14' because no 10' trucks were available.  We agreed to accept a 14' even though that would mean higher fuel costs. On 15 August we were called by U-Haul less than 2 hours before our pickup time and told we would have to go to Winchester, VA to pick up the truck.  Winchester is approximately 50 miles away almost a quarter of the way to Blacksburg.The allowed milage on the truck would have been enough to cover our originally planned trip, but not to cover the addition of the mileage to pick up the truck.  Also we would have had to pay for additional fuel for the truck, plus a 100 miles of fuel for the car to go pick up truck.The local U-Haul refused to pickup the truck in Winchester, and the Winchester store refused to bring it to Chantilly. The local dealer told us we would have to call U-Haul reservations to resolve this issue.  We called the number provided 3 separate times, waiting with a phone ringing up to 25 minutes.  We finally decided to find another source for the truck, because of the short (no) notice, the only thing we could find was going to be approximately $800.00, over 2.5 times the price we had planned.We were forced to change our plans and reschedule our trip until mid-week.  We now have another reservation with another rental company.We had made our plans around the original schedule.  Because we had to change our schedule, we also missed our granddaughters birthday party, had to reschedule the install of cable and internet in Blacksburg, had to reschedule the unload help we had arranged in Blacksburg, both my wife and I had to reschedule dentist appointments, we had to reschedule time off from work, we had to reschedule our dog/house sitter. After, we had rearranged our plans, more than 3 hours after this mess started we were called by U-Haul saying they had a truck in Arlington, much closer, but we had already made a new reservation, and had rescheduled everything except the dentists appointment.Obviously, having a resevation means nothing at U-Haul and I think all potential customers need to know that.I have also entered this same info in the U-Haul customer service site.  I did get an email back asking me to contact them at a given number, despite trying three times I have not been able to get through to the person who sent the email..Also the email contained the following veiled threat:  "You are hereby on notice that this E-mail message is confidential and proprietary. THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IS SPECIFICALLY INTENDED FOR USE BY THE RECIPIENT FOR WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED.  AS THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT OR UNINTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY PROHIBITED FROM ANY DISCUSSION, DISSEMINATION, DISPLAY, DISCLOSURE, REPRODUCTION OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE. ANY THIRD PARTY DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE DELETE."

Trailer Rental is Great, U-boxes are not!

from Rome, PA

Comments about U-Haul:

I recently moved from Texas to Pennsylvania and used both a pull behind trailer and a U-box. I was called three hours before I was to pick up the pull behind and told that the person who had it before us had extended their rental and we would not have it for another 5 hours; our movers were only going to be there for an hour at the original reservation time. Finally, they did find us one to get on time, but we had to go to another location that did not have the dolly we paid for; therefore, we had to drive back across town for the dolly. This was the least of our issues. We had shipped the U-box ahead with a lot of our belonging. When my husband went to pick the box up it took over an hour for them to load it up, even though they knew what time we were going to be there. Also, they told him upon arrival that the box had opened in transit. Due to inproperly handling the equipment when they moved the box the door was busted open and our belongings spilled onto the road. We had broken items, lost items and lots of stress. No one seemed to care, it took three months for the insurance to pay up and we had a $100 deductible even though it was due to negligence on the part of a uhaul employee. The exhaustive move was made even more stressful by the mishandling of things by uhaul. I will never use them again.

Always use UHaul and have never had a problem

from Odessa, TX

Comments about U-Haul:

My family and I have made 4 moves in the last 5 years because of my husband's job. We always use the UHaul company for these moves. The price is lower than any of their competitors. The moving vans and trucks are always clean. They are spacious enough for our household, which is a family of 7. It is also very convenient because there are several locations to choose from everywhere we have moved from and to. It is also very helpful that they sell everything you need for your move from boxes and tape to rental furniture pads and dollies. I will remain a loyal UHaul customer and recommend them to everyone who has a move in their future!

good

from sy

good

F- for UHaul

from Nashville, TN

Comments about U-Haul:

I rented a truck from U-Haul, as well as a storage unit. As soon as I pulled out of the Uhaul parking lot, the rack fell out from the bottom. Even though just across the street, they couldn't help me, and I was told to wait more than an hour for a tech to come. When I returned the truck, I used just a molecule of gas underneath the line- seriously. He told me there would be a $60 fee for not filling it back up. I drove to the nearest gas station, and a whole $3 put it well over the line. I don't think it was the actually company, but rather the particular employees at this location. I felt they were rude, didnt listen to my concerns, and were more concerned with making a buck than meeting te needs of their customer. I could go on and on about the problems I encountered with them, but these are my two biggest complaints. The whole event was a disaster!! Uhaul is the winner on convenience here where I live, but I will think twice about using them in the future. It was a disaster from the start!

U-Haul is my favorite moving truck rental company.

Comments about U-Haul:

I have used U-haul many times in different locations around central Ohio. I like how easy it is to use their website. I prefer signing up for truck rental service online and being able to easily compare the different options.

I like that they offer both one way rentals and in town rentals. I found their pricing to be comparable. One time I found a better deal, but an agent was able to match their price over the phone. There are many different sizes of trucks to meet your needs. They even have some trailers.

They have many locations and have overnight drop boxes which makes returning the trucks easy. They also have boxes, cloths, and dollies available for an additional charge. I've rented a dolly before and it worked great.

They are very reliable. The truck I've rented online has always been ready and available for pick up. I was also able to rent one with no notice after I reserved a moving truck through a different company only to find out the truck was not available on the day of our move. U-haul really came through for me on that day and I've stayed loyal to them afterward.

I would recommend U-haul to anyone looking to rent a moving truck.

• Vehicle Selection:

The best for moving locally.

Comments about U-Haul:

I have used uhaul a few times when moving locally. In addition to having several truck sizes for a reasonable price, they also rent pick up trucks for smaller moves. They rent by the day, making it extremely affordable, and if it is a close move, the fuel costs shouldn't be too high. If you have people to help you move, and simply need a truck for transport, this is the company to go with.

Customer Service
They are friendly in their shops. I usually rent online and pick up the next day at a shop. When you rent, you simply have to bring a photo ID, and confirmation number. Their agents work quickly, they have the rented trucks in stock, and they get you in and out of the rental agency in a quick turn around time. When you are done with the truck, there is a key drop off area, so you don't have to drop off by a certain time of day either. As long as the truck is returned same day, you don't pay for additional fees or use.

Vehicle Selection
They have trucks for any sized move. For as low as $19.99, you can rent a truck that will easily move a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment. The nice addition of pick up trucks is also great if you are simply moving small items, and need a truck for a day. Regardless of the size of the move, you should find a truck for a reasonable price with them.

Hit or miss with Uhaul

Comments about U-Haul:

So overall I gave the an 8, I love being able to reserve a truck online, that is amazing! Sometimes I get a nice and clean truck or trailer, sometimes I get one that looks like it would be better off in a dump. I have always gotten equipment that is road safe, so that's at least a plus. For the most part I have always spoken with people who were kind, and courteous, and knowledgeable about what size trailer or truck I needed.

Customer Service
The people who I have dealt with have always been knowledgeable and more than willing to help me figure out what exactly I need. They took the time to listen to what I was trying to move and how much of it there was. They were also more than willing to help get the trailer hooked up to the truck.

Vehicle Selection
This one is hit and miss, I've moved 6 times in the past 5 years, and every time I've used U Haul. Sometimes the selection is amazing, and sometimes I'm lucky to get the last trailer on the lot, or the only trailer on the lot. Sometimes they are nice and clean and new, sometimes they are gross and I want to line the trailer with plastic before I put my stuff in it.

• Vehicle Selection:

Worst company to use to move.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about U-Haul:

We were moving across town and we have a very large family so we needed a very big U-haul trucks so a month before the move I made sure to go online and reserve the U-haul that we would need. I got a conformation number and wrote it down expecting to have the truck that I had paid and reserved. I called the company three days before our move and gave them my name and number to make sure that everything was still good, and they confirmed that they indeed had my reservation and everything was good and that they would see me in a few days for the pick up. Moving day comes and we go there that morning to pick up our rental and alas, they have none of our truck. I was so mad, they tried to give us a smaller truck but that wouldn't do. They called all other U-haul places in town and none of them could accommodate our load. They refused to refund me for the truck and were so rude. I was so mad that they would even allow me to hold a truck online and then not have it available for me.

Great for local moves

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about U-Haul:

The first time I made a local move, I begged, borrowed and pleaded with friends who had trucks to help me move stuff. It took a week of loading and unloading smaller SUVs and cars with hatch backs to get everything from one place to the next. I vowed to never again have to beg my friends to do this sort of move. When it came time to move again, I started to price movers. It was out of my price range at the time, so I decided I would use UHaul (still asking for help from friends, just not continued use of their vehicles). After speaking with customer service about the amount of furniture and "stuff" I had, I chose the right size Uhaul and was on my way. It was easy to pick up the vehicle and it was in good condition. The lower loading dock made it easy to get my stuff in and out and I was able to make one quick trip with teh Uhaul rather then the 20 or so trips I had made in my prior move. The next time I move, if I don't require movers, I will be checking with UHaul.

Customer Service
I called customer service to determine what size vehicle I would need. They were very helpful and talked me through deciding what I would need.

Vehicle Selection
There is a wide variety of options available. They range from a small trailer to vans and trucks. It is great to have the option to choose and not be stuck with a huge vehicle that you don't need for your small move.

Great But Could Be Better

Comments about U-Haul:

First of all, if there was an 8.5 rating option, then I would give it that. In my opinion, U-Haul is a little overrated because it's used everywhere and it's the only self truck moving company that really comes to mind. So whenever I'm moving large objects and such I usually ditch U-Haul and go to a smaller company that offers better service. The last time I used U-Haul would have been like four years ago when I helped my sister move and here's what I remember: To start off with, the prices were a bit on the high end, but not too expensive. The customer service wasn't very helpful or friendly even, I asked which size truck I should use to move two sofas, a desk, and about four medium sized boxes and the guy at the desk said "I don't know, here's a pamphlet" and rudely tossed a pamphlet onto the counter then continued to work on the computer. He also never said "Hello," "Have a good day," "Can I help you with anything?" or anything a pleasant person would say. All in all, U-Haul is a useful company and there's no big reason why you shouldn't use it, however I wouldn't recommend it over better companies like Upack or Budget, which offer better deals and have hospitable and helpful employees.