Other Fever & Pain Medicines:
Tylenol

Pros

Cons

• Immediacy:

Tylenol PM: Even a reluctant pill-taker uses them ocassionally!

Even though I'm a relatively healthy guy in my mid-40s and rarely get seriously ill, I'm no Superman (as the song from *Scrubs *goes). Like everyone else, I get headaches, muscle aches and other minor ailments.

Most of the time, these little health contretemps make their presence felt during the day, but I sometimes get unlucky and they affect me at night.

Worse, sometimes they even give me unwelcome bouts of insomnia, which robs me of badly-needed sleep and results in very tiring and sometimes unproductive days.  I'm a freelance writer, and if I can't get at least one or two articles done by noon, that's a very unproductive day that ends up costing me some income.

Even so, I hate taking medicines, even over-the-counter drugs; however, when push comes to shove (and money is on the line), I have to resort to them.

To be honest, when I first heard about **Tylenol PM,** I was somewhat nervous about ever using it. I haven't exactly studied much about sleep aids, but I do know that many can become addictive, and because I didn't -- and still don't -- want to get "hooked" on any medicine, I was not exactly looking forward to ever needing to take even *one*. But when I noticed that my mom sometimes took **Tylenol PM** and didn't become dependent on them, I decided to try and fight a headache which was keeping me awake. It was around three in the morning and I had tried everything else -- relaxation exercises, reading, turning off the light, even the old stand-by of counting sheep. Nothing seemed to be working, so in desperation I headed over to the nearby bathroom, opened the medicine cabinet, and grabbed the bottle of **Tylenol PM**. I peered at the label and read the directions: *Do not take more than directed Tylenol PM Vanilla Caplets, Tylenol PM Caplet, Tylenol PM Gelcap, and Tylenol PM Geltab Adults 12 years and over: Take 2 caplets, gelcaps or geltabs at bedtime or as directed by a doctor. Children under 12 years: Do not use this adult product in children under 12 years of age; this will provide more than the recommended dose (overdose) and may cause liver damage.* (From the Web site at www.tylenol.com) I took the recommended dose of two caplets and washed it down with a glass of water, then made my way across the hall to my bedroom. I crawled onto my bed and got under the covers, then closed my eyes and relaxed. Within 15-20 minutes, I was sleepy, and soon after that I was sleeping. The next day I woke up around 11 in the morning, feeling a lot better than I had some eight hours earlier. I didn't feel any side effects or grogginess -- I wasn't supposed to, according to the bottle, but I am sometimes skeptical about product claims so I thought maybe I'd feel out of sorts at the very least. **My Viewpoint: **Since then, I've taken **Tylenol PM** a few more times, and thus far I've had no bad experiences with the product. I've always taken the medicine only when a headache is accompanied by insomnia, and I've never used **Tylenol PM** more than once or twice a year. As with any over-the-counter medicine, always read the label for uses, dosages, warnings, and storage/package safety, or visit www.tylenol.com for more information. Active ingredients: Acetaminophen 500 mg in each caplet (pain reliever) Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg in each caplet (sleep aid) Inactive ingredients: carnauba wax, cellulose, cornstarch, FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Blue #2, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, sodium citrate, sodium starch glycolate, titanium dioxide

Just an antihistamine and a pain reliever. OK now and then.

***Quick View***: I usually don't take Tylenol products but I bought **Tylenol PM** for my son when he had a cracked rib and it has been sitting here since. I recently have been battling a virus and feel generally awful. Everything hurts. And I can't sleep. **Tylenol PM** promised to take away the pain and help me to sleep. I took two. I slept. But I still had pain.***About Tylenol PM***This product is really just Tylenol with Benadryl added. Benadryl is an antihistamine that causes drowsiness. It is not marketed as a sleep aid. It is for allergies. However, when you combine 500mg of acetaminophen in each pill along with 25mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in each pill, you have a pretty strong chance of being knocked out if you take two. That's a lot of Benadryl!The good thing about this medication is that those with thyroid conditions can safely take this. I have an underactive thyroid and can't take a ton of of OTC medicines so I was relieved that I could safely consume this one.I took two and then I woke up. Basically, after I took the two, I feel RIGHT asleep and stayed asleep for hours. I woke up with the same pain I had and, during the night I still felt achy but it didn't matter. I was on a Benadryl high. Or low. Or coma.They say this medication isn't addicting but I wouldn't take it unless it was very necessary. Benedryl will dry you out and make your mouth and nasal passages feel like you just ate and snorted sand. Too much antihistamine can actually dry out your eyes and skin too. And addiction is absolutely possible and I have seen forums with people discussing their inability to stop taking this medication for sleep purposes.**Tylenol PM **is nothing more than a Tylenol and Benadryl  cocktail and you can get the same results by taking regular Tylenol and regular Benadryl but this is more convenient. Still, I suggest that you take it only if you REALLY need both medications (a sleep aid and a pain reliever). Sometimes just getting rid of the pain will allow you to sleep. And sometimes just being drowsy will allow you to sleep despite the pain.***My Viewpoint*****Tylenol PM** really didn't take my pain away really well but I did sleep. Of course, I always fall asleep when I take Benadryl so I wasn't surprised. People on sedatives should be careful because too much sedation can be dangerous. And if your pain is really bad, **Tylenol PM** probably won't relieve it. If you're in so much pain that you REALLY can't sleep, you are better off calling a doctor because that's just scary. Anyway, I give this drug ***3 stars***. It works for occasional mild pain and sleeplessness but it's not a big deal and it's not a special secret combination of ingredients. Just antihistamine and aspirin free pain reliever.

Profile Image

Comments about Tylenol PM:

So I can only guess that this medicine gets rid of aches and pains. I say that because I am knocked out and sleeping for a good twelve hours shortly after taking this. It does a great job at making you forget you have aches and pains, that's for sure! I do take this at times when I am having a hard time sleeping, it is a wonderful PM medicine as it works fast and keeps you asleep for the entire night. I do wake up slightly groggy though which is the only thing I do not like about this medicine. Takes me several cups of coffee to fully wake back up, but after that I am refreshed and ready to go.

Makes you sleepy and keeps you asleep for hours. If you are experiencing any pain this medicine will make sure you can get a good nights sleep.

Pills are pretty small and easy to swallow. I only take one at a time and need minimal liquid to swallow it.

Immediacy
Usually about a half an hour to an hour and I am extremely groggy. I am fully asleep after about an hour and half.

Helps Me Get Rest

from MI

Comments about Tylenol PM:

Tylenol is my standard, go-to brand of acetaminophen. I have used store brands before, but I always prefer Tylenol when I can.

I have had headaches for as long as I can remember - my whole life really, and in college I was diagnosed with migraines - likely stress related. I have used a number of different pain relieving medications, depending on the type and severity of headache. So, at night time, if I get a pretty decent headache that I think will keep me awake, I like to choose Tylenol PM. I only discovered this product a handful of years ago, and I was always hesitant about sleep-aids and their addictive qualities. But, I decided to give this one a try because I have been a lifelong Tylenol user, and I trust the brand.

I can say that I am so happy with this medication. It relieves the pain while helping gently get you to seep. And with Tylenol PM, I don't feel like I am in that extreme drugged coma-like state in the middle of the night if I happen to wake up. There are some medications that make you SO drowsy you can hardly get out of bed. But not this. It helps me get the sleep I need while also taking away my pain, and is definitely not addictive.

• Immediacy:

Helps ease my pain and get to sleep

from Pennsylvania

Comments about Tylenol PM:

I usually take Excedrin or the Equate Headache relief for my headaches and pains. However, these contain caffeine which peps me up quite a bit. Therefore, I like to keep a PM pain reliever on hand for those nighttime headaches and pains. Tylenol PM is one I buy. Tylenol is a brand I know and trust and is effective.

I suffer from migraines and also have osteoarthritis which causes pretty bad back pain sometimes. This does a good job at easing my pain and helping me fall asleep. It doesn't do as good a job on the pain as other pain relievers I take but it definitely reduces it enough to be tolerable. I can't take the other pills that contain caffeine at night or I would be up all night. These don't make me feel tired or groggy the next day.

I like the shape and size of these. I have difficulty swallowing and getting pills down my throat. These go down much better than the round tablets.

Immediacy
These take about a half an hour to work for me.

Love it

Comments about Tylenol PM:

I absolutely love Tylenol PM! It has helped me on a number of nights! I sometimes have bad back pain due to scoliosis in my upper back, so sleeping can be near impossible. After I take a couple of Tylenol PM pills, I am able to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. My back pain may not be completely gone, but it does ease it enough to where I can tolerate it more. Sometimes when I have had a long day I will take one Tylenol PM just to help me rest better. I love that I am able to take these and not be completely out of it. If my daughter wakes up in the middle of the night I still easily wake up to tend to her. I also do not feel groggy the next morning either. I feel well rested. I would recommend these to anyone who needs a little pain relief and help sleeping at night. They truly do work and are worth every penny that they cost. They are not too expensive though. There are some generic brands that I have used of this pill that work, but none of them work as well as the Tylenol brand does.

It does the trick!

from chicago Illinois

Comments about Tylenol PM:

I have been using this product for years and years and it still works like a charm. I have really bad knees, not only arthritis, but depleted cartilage also. It is especially bad during the warm months. This really works for me as even though it does not completely ease the pain, it takes the edge off and allows me to relax and fall asleep. This medication not only helps me to get to sleep with the pain, it also helps me to stay asleep despite being in pain.

It is not really that effective on my pain symptoms, however I am not kept awake because I am in pain.

It is very easy to take this medication. I would be careful and follow the directions correctly as I took this once with a cold and forgot I had already taken a dosage. I took another dosage and was up all night long. I could not get to sleep the entire night.

Immediacy
The relief from this medication is gradual. It takes time and the relief you do get lasts for a good while before you need to take another dose.

Use regularly

Comments about Tylenol PM:

I've been using Tylenol Pms for awhile now. It works very well. Puts me to sleep like clockwork. Every time I take it I fall asleep within an hour to an hour and a half. The only thing I worry about is the added acetameniphen They are starting to make them without the pain reliever in em now though sometimes I need the pain relief sometimes I don't. So nice to have a choice

• Immediacy:

Tylenol PM is Great For Pains That Keep You Awake.

Comments about Tylenol PM:

I tried the Tylenol PM because I have restless leg syndrome and that keeps me up at night with leg pain. I am usually kicking and rolling around trying to get relief and upon trying Tylenol pm I am able to sleep and do not disturb my wife with my RLS. I take two pills about an hour before bed and am able to get at least six hours of sleep.

This works well

from Greenlawn, NY

Comments about Tylenol PM:

I take it to rid me of discomfort before bed. The sleep aid is Diphenhydramine HCL, which is more commonly known as the antihistamine Benadryl. I have had a bad case of quadriceps tendinitis for a while and it sometimes keeps me awake or awakens me, but two Tylenol PM and I sleep very soundly.

Plain ans simple, it works well.

Take two with a glass of water

Immediacy
Depending on your stomach contents and your personal sensitivity to medications, it can take a while to kick in, but 30-minutes is a good average.

I keep Tylenol PM for those nights when I just can't fall asleep

from New Port Richey, FL

Comments about Tylenol PM:

At age 64 I have aches and pain that can keep me awake at night. I also have a mind that doesn't turn off, so together, they can keep me awake for 1 to 2 hours. I toss and turn, and in the end have to do something about it.

If I have to be up early, then I will take something with melatonin in it, and that will give me around 3 hours of sleep.

When I can sleep in, I take 1 Tylenol PM. I am only 118 pounds, so cannot take a full dose of anything. One Tylenol PM will get me off to sleep within about 30 minutes, and then I need to sleep for 7 to 8 hours. If I don't get that amount of sleep, then I will be heavy eyed, groggy, and won't want to get up in the morning.

I only take a Tylenol PM once or twice a month, because I don't want to get hooked on any pain/sleep pills. I find that it works out great for me.

Whenever I go on vacation, which is often, I make sure that I take 1 with me.

Sleep within 30 minutes, and keeps me asleep.

Just swallow with water.

Within about 30 minutes.

better than i thought!

Comments about Tylenol PM:

I was very afraid to use this because I read reviews on it and people said that they had bad experiences with it. One person said she broke out in hives because she was allergic and another person said they basically went crazy and saw things move etc. But I only took 1/2 a pill and nothing happened so I started to take 1 1/2 and this is perfect! I would stay awake for hours before but now I sleep and stay asleep, I love it! I do not recomend taking it for more than a week because it is addictive.