2.9
Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor

Troy-BiltTroy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor

2.9

The TroyBilt Pony Riding Mower has a 42" deck w/easy operation

I have a little over an acre of land to mow and for the past two years have been mowing with a walk-behind TroyBilt mower.  It did the job but wore me out in having to do so as well as took a big chunk of time.

This year I had a little bit of extra cash and purchased the TroyBilt Pony Riding Mower with a 42" deck.  It has a lot of safety features and is relatively easy to handle as far as mowing is concerned.  I can complete the mowing of my yard in less than two hours.  This mower has made mowing the yard more of an enjoyment rather than a dreaded task.  I am happy to say that I can mow the lawn using less than 2 gallons of gas - or less than an actual tank of gas on the mower.

The only problem is that the changing of the oil is a little awkward.  But for most machines that require an oil change this is usually the case.

A pretty little toy that scalps my lawn every time!

It has a MAXIMUM CUTTING HEIGHT of 3 1/2 FREAKING INCHES! There are FIVE "cutting heights" ......The HIGHEST setting still practically SCALPS my yard. There is no way to get any additional height, and heaven help you if you ever had to use it on a property with grown weeds and high grass. I suspect it would bog and die constantly. Apparently Troy-BIlt is in the business of making Lawn PLOWS rather than lawn TRACTORS!!!!! Sure wish I had done further research before I spent the money!!!!

Would advise anyone to buy a Troy Bilt product

from Tyler, Tx

About Me Do-It-Yourself

Pros

Cons

• Cuts Unevenly
    • Requires Constant Maintenance

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

Had a murrey the same size used for 11 yrs like a brush hog bought a Troy bilt pony, there's no way to level the deck( measure the blades on level ground) good luck getting a tape under the deck, replaced the deck belt twice and transmission belts (there's two) twice in 5 yrs only runs in high with cutting height at 4 my yard looks bad, never another product by Troy bilt spend a couple of hundred more for something that will last twice as long

Had to put Pony down...

from Nashville, Indiana

About Me Professional

Pros

• Adjustable Cut-Lengths
      • Lightweight

Cons

• Cuts Unevenly
      • Jerky Transitions
      • Noisy
      • Requires Constant Maintenance

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

I am a retired lawyer and own a small hydroponic greenhouse and have approximately 1 1/2 acres of pasture to cut. The "pony" is garbage plain and simple. Looks great cosmetically, but aside from the 17.5 hp motor, there is nothing gif to say about the mower. The deck is the worst offender. Cheap gauge metal (read thin) compounds the problem of the cheapness of materials used throughout the deck and unit in general. From the first cut the mower shaked violently when the deck/cutting blades were engaged. This vibrating results in the belt moving about, thus shortening the belts service life, and making use if the mower unpleasant. I believe this a design defect and should be addressed by the company. I actually believe that this mower is unfit for it's particular use and as such is defective and can be successfully litigated in small claims court. Perhaps a class action is possible, I will pursue them in court if necessary. I wanted to by a good mower, engine and all, not a good engine on a defective mower.

The product is okay for an entry-level model.

from Statesboro, GA

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

This is an okay product for an entry-level model but we recommend spending additional monies in order to step up into a higher tier of mower. The lawnmower gets bogged down and thick grass situations, the bells wear out quickly and stock blades become dull rapidly.

Handling
        While driving a lawnmower the steering is really tight. It doesn't make a very tight turn around bushes and trees. It requires more trips to go around to get a tight areas. When you are going straight however the machine works great.

Because the battery life is so poor every time I go to start my lawnmower I have to use my car to jumpstart the lawnmower. I have replaced the battery and they constantly go bad.

• Handling:

Troy Bilt Lawn Tractor is not user friendly.

from Monroe, MI

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

Rider jumps when releasing break, won't go into reverse when deck is down, throttle not easy to change. (bagger option) not big enough and only collects in one of two bags. I had to stop frequently to swap the bags before emptying them so that one did not stay empty. No pedal for acceleration. You must stop, move lever into position and release brake which make rider leap into gear. I found this rider much more difficult to use than my previous machine (not a top of the line rider either).

Cuts grass adequately, levers not placed for easy access. Does not break smoothly. Gear shift lever for direction placed so it is not easy to dismount the machine.

Handling
        Hard to backup and change speeds. Every time I wanted to change directions I had to lift the cutting deck, put into reverse, lower cutting deck, put back in forward.

I have not had long enough to evaluate the durability(1 month).

• Handling:

This is a great mower for small and medium size yard.

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

I have used mine all summer and it has helped me alot. I have a heart condition and can not use a walk behind mower to do my lawn. With this mower I can get my lawn done without having to hire a lawn service to do it.

It starts and runs great evey time and has a large enough gas tank to do my lawn twice before having to refill it. the mower deck has several height adjustments so you can get your yard done without scalping.

Handling
        It has a tight enough turning radius that I don't have to do a lot of backing up to get all of the lawn done. It handles great I have a very unlevel lot that I have to mow and never feel as if it is going to tip over and fall on me.

It is built strong and tough it can handle the rough terrain of my yard I never have a feeling that it is going to start coming apart.

• Handling:

A pretty little toy that scalps my lawn every time!

The TroyBilt Pony Riding Mower has a 42" deck w/easy operation

from Durham, NC

We have bought 2 Troy-Bilt Ponies

from Shelbyville, TN

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

When we first moved to our new home, we only had a push mower which was several years old. And our new home now had about an acre and a half of land to mow. So, after saving up the first year of moving in, we bought a Troy bilt pony lawn tractor from Lowe's. I love that it doesn't vibrate as much and it is a sinch to use and to mow. However, when it came time to change the oil, it was a disaster. Unfortunately, there is a bar that runs right near the bolt that you have to remove to let out the oil. Even after using an adaptor, the oil still spilled everywhere. Also, when the blades became dull, we could not take them off to get them sharpened or replaced. We ended up taking it somewhere and they had to take the blades off for us. But, it is a great lawn mower and it will mow your land evenly and quickly with great results. The parts are easy to find and it is easy to take care of, except for what I mentioned earlier. We also bought a second one this past spring so my husband can help with the mowing.

Good but needs floating deck

from Blacksburg, SC

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

This lawn mower is truly a good machine.  Has a 42" cut, Runs good and cranks every time.  Can't understand why anyone would design a riding mower with the 42" cut and not put a floating deck on it.  This is the only problem I can see with this one.    If your lawn is level I would suggest the pony.  If it is hilly or humpy in places, better make sure you get a riding lawn mower with a floating deck.

Troy-bilt knows grass

from Stoutsville, OH

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

I love my pony!!!! Even cuts, great on gas and 7 speeds to choose from. WOW!! The price was great and was delivered ready to mow. I filled the gas tank completely and mowed my three acre lawn 21/2 times. Im comfortable in the fourth gear but have seen my son blow past in seven. I believe deck setting #4 is perfect for our lawn. I couldnt find anything hateful to say about this Troy-bilt Pony.