2.9
Troy-Bilt
Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor

Troy-BiltTroy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor

2.9

Pros

• Lightweight (4)
  • Easy to push & steer (3)

Cons

• Cuts unevenly (4)
  • Requires constant maintenance (4)
  • Noisy (3)

• Small lawns (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Do-it-yourself (4)

The TroyBilt Pony Riding Mower has a 42" deck w/easy operation

I have a little over an acre of land to mow and for the past two years have been mowing with a walk-behind TroyBilt mower.  It did the job but wore me out in having to do so as well as took a big chunk of time.

This year I had a little bit of extra cash and purchased the TroyBilt Pony Riding Mower with a 42" deck.  It has a lot of safety features and is relatively easy to handle as far as mowing is concerned.  I can complete the mowing of my yard in less than two hours.  This mower has made mowing the yard more of an enjoyment rather than a dreaded task.  I am happy to say that I can mow the lawn using less than 2 gallons of gas - or less than an actual tank of gas on the mower.

The only problem is that the changing of the oil is a little awkward.  But for most machines that require an oil change this is usually the case.

A pretty little toy that scalps my lawn every time!

It has a MAXIMUM CUTTING HEIGHT of 3 1/2 FREAKING INCHES! There are FIVE "cutting heights" ......The HIGHEST setting still practically SCALPS my yard. There is no way to get any additional height, and heaven help you if you ever had to use it on a property with grown weeds and high grass. I suspect it would bog and die constantly. Apparently Troy-BIlt is in the business of making Lawn PLOWS rather than lawn TRACTORS!!!!! Sure wish I had done further research before I spent the money!!!!

frist time buyer of a new riding mower and its grate love it

from pinky south carolina

About Me Do-It-Yourself

Pros

• Adjustable Cut-Lengths
  • Easy to Push & Steer
  • Ergonomic Grips
  • Lightweight

Cons

• Noisy

• Large Lawns

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

i cut a very large yard about 3ach.and it does well only thing that i question is it does some vibrating when cutting is that normal my first time buying a lawn trackter.

Good mower for the money...

from Virginia

About Me Professional

Pros

• Reliability

Cons

• Vulnerable front end

• light duty yard and garden jobs

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

My 2015 model is generally a good mower for the price. If you need a heavy duty garden tractor try something bigger and more powerful. For my smal farmette it is perfect. The mower should have included a front bumper standard instead of as an add on option, as on bump to the front end and there are some vulnerable parts ( muffler) not to mention the plastic grille, which will receive permanant damage.

Cheap tractor bought out by MTD

from Manchester NH 03102

About Me Do-It-Yourself

Pros

• Easy to Push & Steer
  • Lightweight

Cons

• Cuts Unevenly
  • Jerky Transitions
  • Requires Constant Maintenance

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

Made a mistake buying this awful machine - original mower blades installed upside down.
Constantly need service

I finally got rid of this waste of metal

from Kaufman County, Texas

About Me Do-It-Yourself

Pros

• Easy to Push & Steer
  • Lightweight

Cons

• Cuts Unevenly
  • cutting deck is too low
  • Noisy
  • Requires Constant Maintenance

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

I have owned the Troy-Bilt Pony for over 5 years. This year my frustration level reached a new high and I retired it. I have never had a mowing season in which something did not need to be replaced. I've replaced the deck belt numerous times, the drive belt twice, and the blades due to the inadequate clearance of the mowing deck.

My biggest complaint, however, is the fact that while the mowing deck can be leveled, it cannot be adequately adjusted for height. There are five settings with the highest being "scalp" and the lowest being "plows 2 inches below the surface of the earth." Seriously, there is no adequate deck height for this lawn mower.

Would advise anyone to buy a Troy Bilt product

from Tyler, Tx

Pros

Cons

• Cuts Unevenly
    • Requires Constant Maintenance

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

Had a murrey the same size used for 11 yrs like a brush hog bought a Troy bilt pony, there's no way to level the deck( measure the blades on level ground) good luck getting a tape under the deck, replaced the deck belt twice and transmission belts (there's two) twice in 5 yrs only runs in high with cutting height at 4 my yard looks bad, never another product by Troy bilt spend a couple of hundred more for something that will last twice as long

Had to put Pony down...

from Nashville, Indiana

About Me Professional

Pros

• Adjustable Cut-Lengths
      • Lightweight

Cons

• Cuts Unevenly
      • Jerky Transitions
      • Noisy
      • Requires Constant Maintenance

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

I am a retired lawyer and own a small hydroponic greenhouse and have approximately 1 1/2 acres of pasture to cut. The "pony" is garbage plain and simple. Looks great cosmetically, but aside from the 17.5 hp motor, there is nothing gif to say about the mower. The deck is the worst offender. Cheap gauge metal (read thin) compounds the problem of the cheapness of materials used throughout the deck and unit in general. From the first cut the mower shaked violently when the deck/cutting blades were engaged. This vibrating results in the belt moving about, thus shortening the belts service life, and making use if the mower unpleasant. I believe this a design defect and should be addressed by the company. I actually believe that this mower is unfit for it's particular use and as such is defective and can be successfully litigated in small claims court. Perhaps a class action is possible, I will pursue them in court if necessary. I wanted to by a good mower, engine and all, not a good engine on a defective mower.

The product is okay for an entry-level model.

from Statesboro, Ga

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

This is an okay product for an entry-level model but we recommend spending additional monies in order to step up into a higher tier of mower. The lawnmower gets bogged down and thick grass situations, the bells wear out quickly and stock blades become dull rapidly.

Handling
        While driving a lawnmower the steering is really tight. It doesn't make a very tight turn around bushes and trees. It requires more trips to go around to get a tight areas. When you are going straight however the machine works great.

Because the battery life is so poor every time I go to start my lawnmower I have to use my car to jumpstart the lawnmower. I have replaced the battery and they constantly go bad.

• Handling:

Troy Bilt Lawn Tractor is not user friendly.

from Monroe, MI

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

Rider jumps when releasing break, won't go into reverse when deck is down, throttle not easy to change. (bagger option) not big enough and only collects in one of two bags. I had to stop frequently to swap the bags before emptying them so that one did not stay empty. No pedal for acceleration. You must stop, move lever into position and release brake which make rider leap into gear. I found this rider much more difficult to use than my previous machine (not a top of the line rider either).

Cuts grass adequately, levers not placed for easy access. Does not break smoothly. Gear shift lever for direction placed so it is not easy to dismount the machine.

Handling
        Hard to backup and change speeds. Every time I wanted to change directions I had to lift the cutting deck, put into reverse, lower cutting deck, put back in forward.

I have not had long enough to evaluate the durability(1 month).

• Handling:

This is a great mower for small and medium size yard.

Comments about Troy-Bilt Troy Bilt Pony Lawn Tractor:

I have used mine all summer and it has helped me alot. I have a heart condition and can not use a walk behind mower to do my lawn. With this mower I can get my lawn done without having to hire a lawn service to do it.

It starts and runs great evey time and has a large enough gas tank to do my lawn twice before having to refill it. the mower deck has several height adjustments so you can get your yard done without scalping.

Handling
        It has a tight enough turning radius that I don't have to do a lot of backing up to get all of the lawn done. It handles great I have a very unlevel lot that I have to mow and never feel as if it is going to tip over and fall on me.

It is built strong and tough it can handle the rough terrain of my yard I never have a feeling that it is going to start coming apart.

• Handling:

A pretty little toy that scalps my lawn every time!