Other Travel Websites:

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

You must visit TripAdvisor, but you also better check Viewpoints!

I visit TripAdvisor before booking any hotel or planning to visit any city or attraction.  It has great benefits but it also has some negatives.  I suggest everyone visit TripAdvisor before any trip you plan!  It's not a one-stop shop, but it does give you a lot of valuable information.

**What Do You Find?**The site has everything organized by location.  So if I search for Chicago, I'll find the city of Chicago with links to display Hotels, Attractions, Restaurants, and more.  Everything you'd possibly want to know before you go... In fact, there's even a "Know Before You Go" section where other traveler's who have been there before share their tips on how to get there, what the weather is like, or whatever else they think is useful.

**Who Writes this Information?**Well, I do, you may too, everyone can!  What makes TripAdvisor great is that it is so easy for someone to rate any place they have been.  The site is meant for the every day traveler as opposed to the "reviewer" so people young and old, computer savvy and not, come to this site after a trip to post a short summary of their thoughts.  This can be good and bad.  The good is that you have 100s of reviews on any given hotel, and usually there will be reviews written within the past month or so.  You will almost always see updated reviews to see what is going on with the hotel, destination, or whatever else you are reviewing.

The bad is three-fold.

1. Some people rate things very harshly, yet once you read their review you find they like 95% of the trip and there was just one thing that ticked them off.  I don't think a 95% satisfaction rating equals 1 out of 5 stars!  So you have to take the ratings with a grain of salt.  I read a lot of the negative reviews to see if the thing they are complaining about is really a big deal, a lot of times, it is not.
2. Opinions are not always well detailed.  People will say "we had a great time, we did this that and the other, our room was only ok but my friend got the better room and liked it, but otherwise awesome!"  Well, this happened to me this week and all I can say is "What room did you stay in????"  All the rooms for this hotel have names, and there are a dozen different room types.  How am I supposed to know which room to stay in?  This is where the site is lacking.  People there are not generally "reviewers" so you may not always find all the info you need.  For more detailed reviews, sites like Viewpoints are always an improvement.
3. Finally, recent news shows how easy it is for competing hotels to diss other hotels by reviewing them down OR paying people to rate down the other hotels.  This is why you cannot take any one review for the truth.  Instead you have to read all reviews and then decide.

**Photos**One thing that makes TripAdvisor even better than the hotel website is the Photos feature.  Traveler's can add any photos they want related to the hotel, destination, etc.  I LOVE this!  I looked at almost every picture of the Sandals Resort I'm looking at and it really shows you what to expect.  The hotel website will publish photos to make them look perfect, however traveler's will post photos that may show things that aren't the best about the place.  In addition, traveler's will post photos that show you cool things the hotel website might not have mentioned.  Pictures sure do speak 1000 words!

**But do they really cover everything?**Well... no.  When I was planning my Naples honeymoon, I found that there were people reviewing local things and there were people in the Naples forum, however not every attraction I had planned to visit was covered.  I found that smaller, lesser known areas, may not have a lot of information for you... but it's still worth the visit because if you can't find it on TripAdvisor, you probably won't find it on the internet at all.

**Final Reason to visit AND Register**Besides the fact that it is 100% free, you should register because as a member you can save almost anything.  Want to remember that Photo you saw?  Save it to your trip folder!  Want to come back to see more reviews on those three Chicago hotels later?  Save them all to a Chicago folder.  Also as a member, you can participate in the forums.  I have used them for my last few trips and a lot of time locals will answer your questions.  You can tell they are real people and not sales people b/c they will not say "this place is the best!" but instead give you pros and cons about what you should do.  It is almost like having a friend or family member's advice.  This is great when you don't know anyone who has been to a place.  So visit TripAdvisor today and get your account ready to go.  Enjoy!!

Take It with a Grain of Salt...

TripAdvisor is a neat site that's well worth checking before you book a hotel anywhere. It has a good message board in its Forums area, and it's strong point is it's immense database of reviews. The downside of TripAdvisor is the same as that of most "Web 2.0" sites: basically, most people writing the content usually don't know what they're talking about. People write reviews without bothering to see the whole picture. There's no balance to reviews, and there's no consistent standards. The end-results are often ludicrously predictable. They do make sense sometimes, but its a crap shoot. In some towns, you see the "Number 1 choice" being a low-end chain motel whose best feature is its free breakfast of "deliciously crunchy" day-old donuts, while in another, a fabulous luxury resort gets slammed because their $99 rate is "way overpriced for the market". Another big problem with TripAdvisor is the classic Web 2.0 problem of noise vs. signal. There **ARE** some good, intelligent thoughs on TripAdvisor. The problem is that for every intelligent review, there are dozens of 1-line postings like this gem: "i went thayre n itt wuz so good" Ummm. Yeah. Now there's an endorsement I can trust.I wish there were more destination articles, and more reviews that conveyed some JOY of travel. TripAdvisor is *MOSTLY *about hotels, and there's far too many ringing endorsements of boring cookie-cutter discount chain properties and *FAR *too few that really seek out unique properties that make the trip worth taking.By all means, read tripadvisor --- they claim to have over 15 million travel reviews. There's a few nuggets in there, but consider their source. I'm a totally average kind of guy, and that means tripadvisor has more than 7-1/2 million reviews that were written by people stupider than me. Yep, there's gonna be a lot of sludge to wade through!!

-------------------

WARNING!!

Tripadvisor has recently implemented automated filters to detect "false" reviews. Unfortunately, these are EXTREMELY flawed filters that remove MANY real reviews --- including those from long-time members who are clearly NOT abusing the system or spamming friends & slamming competitors (a legitimate problem with many review sites). There are numerous incidents of real travelers writing real reviews only to see them taken down by the Tripadvisor autobots. Suspisciously, these seem to most often be negative reviews.

DO NOT TRUST TRIPADVISOR!

Adding to Tripadvisor trust issues is the fact that Tripadvisor now lets companies post rebuttals to reviews. Occasionally this is warranted because Web 2.0 sites being what they are, many boneheads post really stupid reviews. This is a problem with all review sites, but I'm not comfortable with a review site that's too cozy with vendors and that doesn't use better, smarter community-policing methods.

Do ***NOT*** trust Tripadvisor anymore! (rating going down appropriately)

Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-on the Beach

from Galveston

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Last night I ordered coffee from Christine at the restaurant at the Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-on the Beach. She was more than kind and such a professional. And the coffee was to die for!

history nerds tour trip

from Middle River,Maryland

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

the tour guide was fabulous he made everything very understandable. I tell all my family and friends about it. They might do a day trip like we did. Again it was very enjoyable.The guide could not have been any better. Historians name is Al Condit

A good restaurant choice

from Middletown, NJ

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

My wife and I had dinner at the Merion Inn - Cape May, NJ and were lucky enough to get the early bird special dinner, available from 5pm to 5:30pm. We both had swordfish but I had the onion soup and she had the Caesar salad. These were the prix fixe entrée and starters, and then we had excellent desserts. This was $25pp with immaculate service, great presentation and taste and a neat ambiance. A super start for an anniversary celebration.

Great website

from Des Moines, Iowa

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Trip Advisor is an excellent site. It allows you to judge any place before visiting based on reviews by people that have visited your particular place of interest. You can review others description and their experience in order to make your own well thought decision. Without Trip Advisor I may have booked hotels that were less than desirable or ate at restaurants with not so great food. This is important especially if you need certain accommodations during your visit. Trip Advisor makes planning vacations much easier. Trip Advisor includes restaurants, activities such as museums, parks, beaches etc. Before planning my trip to Puerto Rico I was able to find reviews on the hotel I was staying at and the activities surrounding the hotel. I was able to look up restaurants, sites to visit, coffee shops and breakfast places for the next morning and also jewelry stores in the area to purchase gifts for friends. You will not go wrong by deciding to use Trip Advisor to plan your next trip.

Would return to the Windham Suites again and again

from Guam, USA

am

Never Again

from Atlanta, Ga

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

We reserved a room for my daughter and received a booking number and the funds were marked as pending on my account and still pending five days later so I have no excess to the funds. I called the hotel about an hour and a half after I reserved it and they said they had no record of reservation. I called the company that does the booking which is not Travelolicity even though I booked with them and they assured me we had a reservation and he would call hotel and get back to me. He never did. I called again and found out that the hotel was overbooked and out of rooms. By this time it was twelve at night. We could not find a room and my daughter had to sleep in the airport.

Lotz House Visit

from Westville, Fl.

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

I visited the Lotz House and Carter House in Franklin, Tennessee on Sunday, March 12, 2017. My family and I, along with some friends, toured both homes and thoroughly enjoyed both tours. The guides were friendly, informative and completely engaged in the story of the homes and the Franklin Civil War Battle. I certainly, and have, would recomend both of the tours to anyone. I hope to visit some more of the battle sites on my next trip to Franklin. Thank you for the wonderful job you are doing in helping preserve our nation's history. Marilyn Mitchell Westville, Fl.

Nice Way to spend an hour

from Springfiels Mo.

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Located on Commercial St. an interesting street to walk, eat, & shop. A very eclectic shop, with a constantly changing stock. They don't give things away, but the prices are not on the high side either. Bottom line if you find something you like, you can probably afford it.

It's my guide

from Roseville, CA

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

It's my guide in my holidays. you can depend on it to get a great time

Great Wine Country Tour, Niagara on the Lake, Canada

from Niagara Falls Toronto Canada.

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Our wine tour was the best,or guide David was very friendly and helpful. He explained everything to us. Best tour ever. Niagara on the Lake was so beautiful we hired a cab and returned for another visit. LOVED IT