Other Travel Websites:

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:
    • I received a sample (20), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

You must visit TripAdvisor, but you also better check Viewpoints!

I visit TripAdvisor before booking any hotel or planning to visit any city or attraction.  It has great benefits but it also has some negatives.  I suggest everyone visit TripAdvisor before any trip you plan!  It's not a one-stop shop, but it does give you a lot of valuable information.

**What Do You Find?**The site has everything organized by location.  So if I search for Chicago, I'll find the city of Chicago with links to display Hotels, Attractions, Restaurants, and more.  Everything you'd possibly want to know before you go... In fact, there's even a "Know Before You Go" section where other traveler's who have been there before share their tips on how to get there, what the weather is like, or whatever else they think is useful.

**Who Writes this Information?**Well, I do, you may too, everyone can!  What makes TripAdvisor great is that it is so easy for someone to rate any place they have been.  The site is meant for the every day traveler as opposed to the "reviewer" so people young and old, computer savvy and not, come to this site after a trip to post a short summary of their thoughts.  This can be good and bad.  The good is that you have 100s of reviews on any given hotel, and usually there will be reviews written within the past month or so.  You will almost always see updated reviews to see what is going on with the hotel, destination, or whatever else you are reviewing.

The bad is three-fold.

1. Some people rate things very harshly, yet once you read their review you find they like 95% of the trip and there was just one thing that ticked them off.  I don't think a 95% satisfaction rating equals 1 out of 5 stars!  So you have to take the ratings with a grain of salt.  I read a lot of the negative reviews to see if the thing they are complaining about is really a big deal, a lot of times, it is not.
2. Opinions are not always well detailed.  People will say "we had a great time, we did this that and the other, our room was only ok but my friend got the better room and liked it, but otherwise awesome!"  Well, this happened to me this week and all I can say is "What room did you stay in????"  All the rooms for this hotel have names, and there are a dozen different room types.  How am I supposed to know which room to stay in?  This is where the site is lacking.  People there are not generally "reviewers" so you may not always find all the info you need.  For more detailed reviews, sites like Viewpoints are always an improvement.
3. Finally, recent news shows how easy it is for competing hotels to diss other hotels by reviewing them down OR paying people to rate down the other hotels.  This is why you cannot take any one review for the truth.  Instead you have to read all reviews and then decide.

**Photos**One thing that makes TripAdvisor even better than the hotel website is the Photos feature.  Traveler's can add any photos they want related to the hotel, destination, etc.  I LOVE this!  I looked at almost every picture of the Sandals Resort I'm looking at and it really shows you what to expect.  The hotel website will publish photos to make them look perfect, however traveler's will post photos that may show things that aren't the best about the place.  In addition, traveler's will post photos that show you cool things the hotel website might not have mentioned.  Pictures sure do speak 1000 words!

**But do they really cover everything?**Well... no.  When I was planning my Naples honeymoon, I found that there were people reviewing local things and there were people in the Naples forum, however not every attraction I had planned to visit was covered.  I found that smaller, lesser known areas, may not have a lot of information for you... but it's still worth the visit because if you can't find it on TripAdvisor, you probably won't find it on the internet at all.

**Final Reason to visit AND Register**Besides the fact that it is 100% free, you should register because as a member you can save almost anything.  Want to remember that Photo you saw?  Save it to your trip folder!  Want to come back to see more reviews on those three Chicago hotels later?  Save them all to a Chicago folder.  Also as a member, you can participate in the forums.  I have used them for my last few trips and a lot of time locals will answer your questions.  You can tell they are real people and not sales people b/c they will not say "this place is the best!" but instead give you pros and cons about what you should do.  It is almost like having a friend or family member's advice.  This is great when you don't know anyone who has been to a place.  So visit TripAdvisor today and get your account ready to go.  Enjoy!!

Take It with a Grain of Salt...

TripAdvisor is a neat site that's well worth checking before you book a hotel anywhere. It has a good message board in its Forums area, and it's strong point is it's immense database of reviews. The downside of TripAdvisor is the same as that of most "Web 2.0" sites: basically, most people writing the content usually don't know what they're talking about. People write reviews without bothering to see the whole picture. There's no balance to reviews, and there's no consistent standards. The end-results are often ludicrously predictable. They do make sense sometimes, but its a crap shoot. In some towns, you see the "Number 1 choice" being a low-end chain motel whose best feature is its free breakfast of "deliciously crunchy" day-old donuts, while in another, a fabulous luxury resort gets slammed because their $99 rate is "way overpriced for the market". Another big problem with TripAdvisor is the classic Web 2.0 problem of noise vs. signal. There **ARE** some good, intelligent thoughs on TripAdvisor. The problem is that for every intelligent review, there are dozens of 1-line postings like this gem: "i went thayre n itt wuz so good" Ummm. Yeah. Now there's an endorsement I can trust.I wish there were more destination articles, and more reviews that conveyed some JOY of travel. TripAdvisor is *MOSTLY *about hotels, and there's far too many ringing endorsements of boring cookie-cutter discount chain properties and *FAR *too few that really seek out unique properties that make the trip worth taking.By all means, read tripadvisor --- they claim to have over 15 million travel reviews. There's a few nuggets in there, but consider their source. I'm a totally average kind of guy, and that means tripadvisor has more than 7-1/2 million reviews that were written by people stupider than me. Yep, there's gonna be a lot of sludge to wade through!!

-------------------

WARNING!!

Tripadvisor has recently implemented automated filters to detect "false" reviews. Unfortunately, these are EXTREMELY flawed filters that remove MANY real reviews --- including those from long-time members who are clearly NOT abusing the system or spamming friends & slamming competitors (a legitimate problem with many review sites). There are numerous incidents of real travelers writing real reviews only to see them taken down by the Tripadvisor autobots. Suspisciously, these seem to most often be negative reviews.

DO NOT TRUST TRIPADVISOR!

Adding to Tripadvisor trust issues is the fact that Tripadvisor now lets companies post rebuttals to reviews. Occasionally this is warranted because Web 2.0 sites being what they are, many boneheads post really stupid reviews. This is a problem with all review sites, but I'm not comfortable with a review site that's too cozy with vendors and that doesn't use better, smarter community-policing methods.

Do ***NOT*** trust Tripadvisor anymore! (rating going down appropriately)

Sheraton Grand

from Los Angeles

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

The front desk lady was great her name is Lynda she great. I

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Done with TripAdvisor

from Nevada

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

I have used TripAdvisor for years and with good results. I also used to watch and enjoy a lot of NFL football. Now that they have gone political, I have dropped both.

entirely enjoyable stay

from montreal,Quebec.

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

My wife and I spent four weeks at Staybridge Sea Harbor and were enamoured by the extremely warm and genuinely friendly atmosphere we encountered from all the employees
we dealt with.From the comfort of the suite, the decor and cleanliness of the public areas and the good variety and great taste of the free breakfast offered,we felt very much at home. The Front Office staff and Kitchen personnel were all amazing! Nothing short of Five Stars!

Sleep Inn Wesley Chapel

from Ocala, Florida

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

We stayed at Sleep Inn Wesley Chapel when my son was in the hospital and found it a wonderful inviting experience. The bed was very comfortable and inviting and I loved the large shower, The breakfast had everything you would ever want. We would stay there again if ever in the area and encourage anyone to experience the visit.

from Hutchinson Ks. Super8

I stayed 8 days, it was wonderful

Austin Panic Room

from Boca Raton, Florida

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

We visited the Austin Panic room over the Holiday Break. What a great time for myself and the Family. This was great bonding experience, and Jeremy the host was sensational.

Avila Hotel in Curacao

from Lafayette, Louisiana

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

My husband and I stayed at the Avila for 10 days over the Christmas holidays and we enjoyed every minute. The hotel location is central to walking into town. Our room, in the Octagon wing was very modern and spacious if not a little cold in temperature (but that cold was great at night). We found the beach delightful and protected from large swells which was important to me due to a bad back. It allowed me to snorkel and enjoy the varieties of fish within the lagoons. We had our holiday meals at the hotel as well as most lunches and snacks. We frequented the Schooner Bar most days for drinks and snacks on the beach. We would highly recommend the Blues Fish House for dinner as the food was good - especially the ribs which were grilled outside and seasoned beautifully. We also found the drinks much tastier at the Blues. The hotel staff was kind and accommodating. Minor downsides: no vending machines, couldn't find an ice machine, towel exchange often lagged, and the restaurant menus were a little limited. But, we would still recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. As we toured the island, we felt our choice for the Avila was the right choice and met our needs beautifully.

We took two tours with Hetty (Serenity Tours?) who was a wealth of knowledge and personality. We did the half day tour and the full day day tour which included a lunch on a beautiful beach as well as a hike to a mesa by the ocean that was incredible. We would definitely recommend the full day tour.

We have traveled and sampled many islands in the Caribbean. Curacao is not the most beautiful or the most varied. It doesn't have the most beautiful beaches or the very best food. But it does offer a very laid back atmosphere and wonderful people. You can really unplug and relax (which is not my strong point). It is not overgrown and is still the real Caribbean. Go there - you'll enjoy it

perfect

from McCarren Hotel&pool, Brooklyn

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

I spent 5 nights at McCarren Hotel. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful with information about the hotel, dining, transfer...
The room was very clean, bathroom big and the bed extremely comfortable, free coffee at the restaurant every morning. The location was perfect - close to the train or boat, lots of good restaurants around and if you need a good rest - very peaceful at night. This is definetely not the last visit.

Great Place

from Angola, IN

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Everything about this place was terrific. Rooms and amenities were pleasant and comfortable. Spaces were attractively set. Everyone on the staff was more than courteous and helpful, they were quite congenial. Mary in the breakfast room was a champ, bright and cheerful. Breakfast was tasty, especially the scones. And the go bags of water and a snack were a fun send off. Hope to travel that way again, just to be able to stay again. Great job by all involved.

Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-on the Beach

from Galveston

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Last night I ordered coffee from Christine at the restaurant at the Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-on the Beach. She was more than kind and such a professional. And the coffee was to die for!