Other Travel Websites:

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

You must visit TripAdvisor, but you also better check Viewpoints!

I visit TripAdvisor before booking any hotel or planning to visit any city or attraction.  It has great benefits but it also has some negatives.  I suggest everyone visit TripAdvisor before any trip you plan!  It's not a one-stop shop, but it does give you a lot of valuable information.

**What Do You Find?**The site has everything organized by location.  So if I search for Chicago, I'll find the city of Chicago with links to display Hotels, Attractions, Restaurants, and more.  Everything you'd possibly want to know before you go... In fact, there's even a "Know Before You Go" section where other traveler's who have been there before share their tips on how to get there, what the weather is like, or whatever else they think is useful.

**Who Writes this Information?**Well, I do, you may too, everyone can!  What makes TripAdvisor great is that it is so easy for someone to rate any place they have been.  The site is meant for the every day traveler as opposed to the "reviewer" so people young and old, computer savvy and not, come to this site after a trip to post a short summary of their thoughts.  This can be good and bad.  The good is that you have 100s of reviews on any given hotel, and usually there will be reviews written within the past month or so.  You will almost always see updated reviews to see what is going on with the hotel, destination, or whatever else you are reviewing.

The bad is three-fold.

1. Some people rate things very harshly, yet once you read their review you find they like 95% of the trip and there was just one thing that ticked them off.  I don't think a 95% satisfaction rating equals 1 out of 5 stars!  So you have to take the ratings with a grain of salt.  I read a lot of the negative reviews to see if the thing they are complaining about is really a big deal, a lot of times, it is not.
2. Opinions are not always well detailed.  People will say "we had a great time, we did this that and the other, our room was only ok but my friend got the better room and liked it, but otherwise awesome!"  Well, this happened to me this week and all I can say is "What room did you stay in????"  All the rooms for this hotel have names, and there are a dozen different room types.  How am I supposed to know which room to stay in?  This is where the site is lacking.  People there are not generally "reviewers" so you may not always find all the info you need.  For more detailed reviews, sites like Viewpoints are always an improvement.
3. Finally, recent news shows how easy it is for competing hotels to diss other hotels by reviewing them down OR paying people to rate down the other hotels.  This is why you cannot take any one review for the truth.  Instead you have to read all reviews and then decide.

**Photos**One thing that makes TripAdvisor even better than the hotel website is the Photos feature.  Traveler's can add any photos they want related to the hotel, destination, etc.  I LOVE this!  I looked at almost every picture of the Sandals Resort I'm looking at and it really shows you what to expect.  The hotel website will publish photos to make them look perfect, however traveler's will post photos that may show things that aren't the best about the place.  In addition, traveler's will post photos that show you cool things the hotel website might not have mentioned.  Pictures sure do speak 1000 words!

**But do they really cover everything?**Well... no.  When I was planning my Naples honeymoon, I found that there were people reviewing local things and there were people in the Naples forum, however not every attraction I had planned to visit was covered.  I found that smaller, lesser known areas, may not have a lot of information for you... but it's still worth the visit because if you can't find it on TripAdvisor, you probably won't find it on the internet at all.

**Final Reason to visit AND Register**Besides the fact that it is 100% free, you should register because as a member you can save almost anything.  Want to remember that Photo you saw?  Save it to your trip folder!  Want to come back to see more reviews on those three Chicago hotels later?  Save them all to a Chicago folder.  Also as a member, you can participate in the forums.  I have used them for my last few trips and a lot of time locals will answer your questions.  You can tell they are real people and not sales people b/c they will not say "this place is the best!" but instead give you pros and cons about what you should do.  It is almost like having a friend or family member's advice.  This is great when you don't know anyone who has been to a place.  So visit TripAdvisor today and get your account ready to go.  Enjoy!!

Take It with a Grain of Salt...

TripAdvisor is a neat site that's well worth checking before you book a hotel anywhere. It has a good message board in its Forums area, and it's strong point is it's immense database of reviews. The downside of TripAdvisor is the same as that of most "Web 2.0" sites: basically, most people writing the content usually don't know what they're talking about. People write reviews without bothering to see the whole picture. There's no balance to reviews, and there's no consistent standards. The end-results are often ludicrously predictable. They do make sense sometimes, but its a crap shoot. In some towns, you see the "Number 1 choice" being a low-end chain motel whose best feature is its free breakfast of "deliciously crunchy" day-old donuts, while in another, a fabulous luxury resort gets slammed because their $99 rate is "way overpriced for the market". Another big problem with TripAdvisor is the classic Web 2.0 problem of noise vs. signal. There **ARE** some good, intelligent thoughs on TripAdvisor. The problem is that for every intelligent review, there are dozens of 1-line postings like this gem: "i went thayre n itt wuz so good" Ummm. Yeah. Now there's an endorsement I can trust.I wish there were more destination articles, and more reviews that conveyed some JOY of travel. TripAdvisor is *MOSTLY *about hotels, and there's far too many ringing endorsements of boring cookie-cutter discount chain properties and *FAR *too few that really seek out unique properties that make the trip worth taking.By all means, read tripadvisor --- they claim to have over 15 million travel reviews. There's a few nuggets in there, but consider their source. I'm a totally average kind of guy, and that means tripadvisor has more than 7-1/2 million reviews that were written by people stupider than me. Yep, there's gonna be a lot of sludge to wade through!!

-------------------

WARNING!!

Tripadvisor has recently implemented automated filters to detect "false" reviews. Unfortunately, these are EXTREMELY flawed filters that remove MANY real reviews --- including those from long-time members who are clearly NOT abusing the system or spamming friends & slamming competitors (a legitimate problem with many review sites). There are numerous incidents of real travelers writing real reviews only to see them taken down by the Tripadvisor autobots. Suspisciously, these seem to most often be negative reviews.

DO NOT TRUST TRIPADVISOR!

Adding to Tripadvisor trust issues is the fact that Tripadvisor now lets companies post rebuttals to reviews. Occasionally this is warranted because Web 2.0 sites being what they are, many boneheads post really stupid reviews. This is a problem with all review sites, but I'm not comfortable with a review site that's too cozy with vendors and that doesn't use better, smarter community-policing methods.

Do ***NOT*** trust Tripadvisor anymore! (rating going down appropriately)

Great Wine Country Tour, Niagara on the Lake, Canada

from Niagara Falls Toronto Canada.

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Our wine tour was the best,or guide David was very friendly and helpful. He explained everything to us. Best tour ever. Niagara on the Lake was so beautiful we hired a cab and returned for another visit. LOVED IT

Andy@OverTheFallsTours

from Battle Creek, MI

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Andy was informative, funny, and some how kept 32 people together during the day long tour. Carried on a running conversation with his passengers. You couldn't do better for a tour guide. Great job!

Personal assistance

from Overland Park, KS

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

I had my luggage stolen from my rental car with Newport Jazz Festival tickets in the luggage. I went to the Tourist and Transportation Center in Newport, RI they help to reprint my ticket from my ticketmaster account. They were very helpful I would give a recommendation for anyone who needs help while in Newport,RI sure to go to the tourist center.

A big problem at this hotel

from Melbourne, FL

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

We stayed at this hotel for a Shriners convention recently, as such this hotel was at full occupancy! Apparently before we arrived and while we were there All of the elevators were NOT in good working order! At times we waited for 30 minutes to get from our floor to the lobby! The hotel finally resorted to having us use the freight elevators, which of course we're then over worked & over crowded! We were told that it would probably be 2 more years before this problem would be fixed! This was the topic of conversation as it made us late for everything. It was even mentioned at the convention meetings, as a big concern when choosing hotels in the future. I also requested that I have a refigerator in my room due to medical reasons, when we arrived I was told one would be delivered shortly! After waiting for 3 hrs I was then told there were none available & I would not get one! Needless to say I was not happy....after much discussion one was magically found a few days later and delivered to my room!
Having said all this the staff was wonderful considering the elevator situation, very professional, polite.
Both restaurants were great, food & staff!
The only reason I would not recommend this hotel is the elevator problem!

Worst Customer Service after Booking a Hotel on this site!

from Seattle, WA

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

I made a Hotel Booking on Trip Advisor a month ago, when I realized the dates were incorrect I contacted the Hotel and they said I had to contact Trip Advisor as I made the booking through them. When I contacted Trip Advisor the agent told me she would contact the hotel and correct the dates....I received a confirmation of change from the hotel but with different terms.. When I contacted the hotel they again told me to contact Trip Advisor... When I contacted Trip Advisor Chiliana their agent said I needed to contact the hotel?? All I requested was an updated confirmation from Trip Advisor with the correct dates?? She then became very rude and told me to contact the hotel??? The hotel tells me contact Trip Advisor and Trip Advisor tells me to contact the hotel... I guess Trip Advisor represents that they books rooms for you on their website but they really don't???

luxury in wrong location

from terrible streets need to be cleaned up

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

I have just returned from one of my yearly holidays after staying at the trans resort in seminyak bali.airport transfers perfect.booking in a bit slow ,rooms very well lade out with every thing needed.dining area every nation catted for food excellent.this area needs fans as it gets very hot even though area open.pool this area is terrible lack of sun lounges no shade unless you get a lounge very early in the morning if you have to stay in the sun you have to put up with smokers near by not good as they are allowed to smoke every were.roof top bar excellent.the staff are simply the best nothing is a problem always smiling and very happy to help in anyway.location of this great hotel is terrible if this was on the ocean front it would be amongst the best if you like to walk ok or taxi service is very good overall my holiday was great apart from a few minor things I have pointed out the you all the staff you are all the very best I have had in my 36 times to bali

Excellent service at Golden Park Hotel Tisssamaharama Lanka

from Tissamaharama, Sri Lanka

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Had a beautiful stay at the Golden Park Hotel in Tissa enjoying the hospitality of Kasun, the owner. He and his partner care a lot about their guests. Small hotel with 3 rooms only, all with AC. Quiet place next to Tissa lake.

Front desk service at Marriott in Fort Lauderdale north

from Ft Lauderdale florida

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Really outgoing and accommodating (cool) Dania should be in the prior hotels I have occupied would have made me a repeat consumer

Most certainly will revisit

from Saddle brook, nj

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

My family and I were guests at sunny hill resort and golf course which is a beautifully maintained and updated resort in green county of the Catskills. The Nicholson family: Gale, Gary &Wayne and their respective staff do everything humanly possible to make your stay, comprised of all age groups, the most pleasant vacation possible. Food, entertainment, accommodations are Stellar.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Days Inn 2623 S. First St. Tucumcari, NM 88401

from Days Inn, 2623 S. First St Tucumcari, NM

Comments about TripAdvisor.com:

Stayed at Days Inn, 2623 S. First Street, Tucumcari, NM 88401 We had the best visit
with our little dog Pepper and were warmly received by Jennifer. Jennifer really made
our stay very comfortable! She was very helpful to our needs. We would like to highly recommend you stop there on your vacation or business trip. Fantastic service.