2.5

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Tertiary travel companies offer great deals, but be wary

*A note of recognition: I was inspired to write this review from a recent one posted by AprileFisher re: Orbitz Travel entitled "A Necessary Evil". Please refer to her review as well for more details.*

As a frequent traveler, I am always on the prowl for great deals on flights and hotels. My personal favorite website for travel deals is Travelocity (the gnome does it for me on commercials). The ease of typing in my fantasy destination and waiting to see what the magical gnome will yield often puts a grin on my face; a somewhat pathetic, guilty pleasure of mine.

I have been very fortunate as I never had any problems with my flight or hotel itineraries with these tertiary companies. I have booked flights to California, Spokane, and New York with zero errors. In addition, I frequently book hotel accomodations and are pleased with the results-- hotel descriptions were accurate, and rooms passed with my standards of cleanliness and basic amenities. Tertiary travel sites such as Travelocity, Expedia, and Orbitz are probably the most well known, but be forewarned-- the amateur traveler may be conned into more than what he or she bargained for.

My first rule of thumb is to **always check their cancellation policy before confirming anything**. Majority of the time, these tertiary sites have cancellation policies that are 100% NON-refundable. Even if they claim to have a cancellation policy, I always tell people to not even consider it. The hassle of trying to reason with a Customer Service agent and being transferred to 763,549,208 other CS agents is enough to give anyone a sprout of premature graying. If an individual is unsure of their exact dates of travel, I say hands-down, don't even bother with Travelocity (or any travel site for that matter) until you know for sure.

Second rule: **Double check your flight itinerary and be aware that the cheapest fare is usually NOT the most direct path**. I have no problems with motion sickness, tight quarters, or sitting still. But I believe that travelers should prevent health problems due to ischemia (lack of circulation causing pain/discomfort/numbness in limbs) by knowing how long they are in the air and how frequently they should be moving around. I have seen many flight itineraries from tertiary sites offering staggering cheap fares, but it takes 15 hours to get from LA to Chicago. Not good. Know the balance between bargain and practicality and you're set to fly.

amazing race shame on you for promoting such a shameful company

that gnome is a liar and useless!

that gnome is a liar and useless!

booked 3 rooms for family reunion through travelocity using their so called top secret rooms prices sounded reasonable specified two adults per room. contacted travelocity 10 minutes later to request 2 beds per room , agent took my information and stated that had faxed requests to hotel  was asked to call 2 days before my trip to confirm all details . called 2 days before and was informed that all was taken care of . I decided to call hotel directly to request late check in, that is when hotel informed me that only one bed was assigned to each room this was the deal that they had with travelocity and they were bound by their agreement. contacted travelocity since their commercials state they will work with their partners to make it right . rep stated that they could see that i had made the request but the hotel had the final say.

asked what it would take to get a second bed in the room rep stated he could take care of that he would book 3 additional rooms at higher rate but i would not be reimbursed for the first three rooms.  all they could say was the scripted we value your time but that is our policy sorry.

needless to say they did nothing to resolve the problem.

what was supposed to be a great weekend turned into chaos when we arrived at hotel and only one bed was actually provided per room hotel offered of course for an additional fee rollaway cots. I ended up spending more by paying for the rooms going through travelocity than I would have going directly through hotel.

have used priceline for all previous trips never had a problem but after watching the tv show THE AMAZING RACE and all the publicity it offers for travelocity  i was sold. BIG MISTAKE  WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IS BROUGHT AGAINST TRAVELOCITY for all their false advertising but maybe U.S laws do not apply to business that thrive by having their customer service dept in foreign countries.

Very pleased!!

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Travelocity.com:

I have used this site for all of my travel needs. I have never had any problems with them and I always know that if I book a room it is exactly what I expect and the price is always accurate. Same with my flights and my rental cars. Excellent customer service whenever I have ever needed to call them. Travelocity is the only travel company I ever use.

Good experience

from Clermont, FLA

Comments about Travelocity.com:

Clean room, friendly check-in, great bed, breakfast was good. Diane made thebreakfast enjoyable. I would stay here again.

Want guaranteed room? DON'T book at Walla Walls' Hampton Inn

from Spokane, WA

Comments about Travelocity.com:

We booked a room 2 wks. in advance. At 8:00pm the night of our reservation, as we were headed to the hotel, we received a phone call that they were overbooked and our room had been given away. When I responded with incredulity, the manager explained that she was doing me a courtesy. Normally, in this situation, they just allow the guests to show up before informing them they have no room. We found a room at the Hilton. They had just booked another couple in who had received the same shabby treatment from the Hampton Inn.

They treat Military people poorly

from North Carolina

Comments about Travelocity.com:

They promise one price and discounts then do not honor

I would not book ANYTHING through Travelocity again

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Travelocity.com:

Purchased round trip private shuttle transportation from Travelocity with the vendor Super Shuttle Mexico and would never use either company again. Our driver was a no-show for the ride from the hotel to the airport. Waited 1/2 hour, called at least once and still they did not show so we took a taxi. Neither Travelocity nor Super Shuttle will refund for 1/2 the cost, so we are disputing with our credit card.

Carries restraint

from Desert hot springs

Comments about Travelocity.com:

Amanda at miracle springs spa was awesome!!!!

POOR ABSOLUTELY POOR!!!

from Somerset MA

Comments about Travelocity.com:

Well let me start with the booking process. We booked a trip to Mexico with 13 other people. It was an all inclusive stay at the Royal Solaris Resort in Cancun Mexico. Because this was an international flight we wanted to make sure our Names were spelled right on the booking of the Airline tickets and the Resort. Well they misspelled our names even after they confirmed the spelling they typed it wrong. Not sure how that happened but it did. This process to me i kid you not a total of 11 hours to correct with in a three day process. I was correcting the airline ticket the day before. It was a nightmare. And yes i spoke to supervisors and they didnt get it right. The resort was under construction which they should have informed us. The first night it rained and we got water in our room. The sewage backed into the pool. We finally got upgraded to the GR Solaris. Much better. But really folks beware of your booking with this company. VERY VERY POOR COMMUNICATION SKILLS. POOR SERVICE!!

Never again

from Indiana

Comments about Travelocity.com:

The worst customer service ever! No one will help you! They will cite the terms of service and tell you they can't do anything for.

wish i could give this NEGATIVE stars!

from ohio

Comments about Travelocity.com:

this site is a freaking joke. booked with them, got to the resort, carpet was stained, walls were filthy, BLOOD in the bathroom and rats outside!!. called down to front desk to complain & they told me to call Travelocity. contacted Travelocity and they called me a LIAR even after I sent them photos and said I never called the front desk and complained and told me that they couldn't do anything for me. nothing but rude customer service ! never again will I book through this site, EVER

Price Guarantee

from BROOKLYN, NY

Comments about Travelocity.com:

I recently booked a trip using travelocity on June 9th. Today I find the price to be $300.00 cheaper. Called travelocity to ask for a credit on my package. I was informed that the price guarantee is only for 24 hours. I asked to speak to supervisor. Spoke to Jose who stated that only the hotel is a guarantee up to time of travel. So basically I told him it is better to book hotel and air seperately. If hotel price changes you can get a credit. He stumble on his words. They lost me as a customer. Too bad, because I was going to book a vacation today for Thanksgiving weekend. YOUR LOSS. TRAVELOCITY....THERE ARE TOO MANY WEBSITES OUT THERE. FOR A CREDIT OF $300.00 TO LOSE A CUSTOMER, SHAME ON YOU.