2.6

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

Tertiary travel companies offer great deals, but be wary

*A note of recognition: I was inspired to write this review from a recent one posted by AprileFisher re: Orbitz Travel entitled "A Necessary Evil". Please refer to her review as well for more details.*

As a frequent traveler, I am always on the prowl for great deals on flights and hotels. My personal favorite website for travel deals is Travelocity (the gnome does it for me on commercials). The ease of typing in my fantasy destination and waiting to see what the magical gnome will yield often puts a grin on my face; a somewhat pathetic, guilty pleasure of mine.

I have been very fortunate as I never had any problems with my flight or hotel itineraries with these tertiary companies. I have booked flights to California, Spokane, and New York with zero errors. In addition, I frequently book hotel accomodations and are pleased with the results-- hotel descriptions were accurate, and rooms passed with my standards of cleanliness and basic amenities. Tertiary travel sites such as Travelocity, Expedia, and Orbitz are probably the most well known, but be forewarned-- the amateur traveler may be conned into more than what he or she bargained for.

My first rule of thumb is to **always check their cancellation policy before confirming anything**. Majority of the time, these tertiary sites have cancellation policies that are 100% NON-refundable. Even if they claim to have a cancellation policy, I always tell people to not even consider it. The hassle of trying to reason with a Customer Service agent and being transferred to 763,549,208 other CS agents is enough to give anyone a sprout of premature graying. If an individual is unsure of their exact dates of travel, I say hands-down, don't even bother with Travelocity (or any travel site for that matter) until you know for sure.

Second rule: **Double check your flight itinerary and be aware that the cheapest fare is usually NOT the most direct path**. I have no problems with motion sickness, tight quarters, or sitting still. But I believe that travelers should prevent health problems due to ischemia (lack of circulation causing pain/discomfort/numbness in limbs) by knowing how long they are in the air and how frequently they should be moving around. I have seen many flight itineraries from tertiary sites offering staggering cheap fares, but it takes 15 hours to get from LA to Chicago. Not good. Know the balance between bargain and practicality and you're set to fly.

amazing race shame on you for promoting such a shameful company

that gnome is a liar and useless!

that gnome is a liar and useless!

booked 3 rooms for family reunion through travelocity using their so called top secret rooms prices sounded reasonable specified two adults per room. contacted travelocity 10 minutes later to request 2 beds per room , agent took my information and stated that had faxed requests to hotel  was asked to call 2 days before my trip to confirm all details . called 2 days before and was informed that all was taken care of . I decided to call hotel directly to request late check in, that is when hotel informed me that only one bed was assigned to each room this was the deal that they had with travelocity and they were bound by their agreement. contacted travelocity since their commercials state they will work with their partners to make it right . rep stated that they could see that i had made the request but the hotel had the final say.

asked what it would take to get a second bed in the room rep stated he could take care of that he would book 3 additional rooms at higher rate but i would not be reimbursed for the first three rooms.  all they could say was the scripted we value your time but that is our policy sorry.

needless to say they did nothing to resolve the problem.

what was supposed to be a great weekend turned into chaos when we arrived at hotel and only one bed was actually provided per room hotel offered of course for an additional fee rollaway cots. I ended up spending more by paying for the rooms going through travelocity than I would have going directly through hotel.

have used priceline for all previous trips never had a problem but after watching the tv show THE AMAZING RACE and all the publicity it offers for travelocity  i was sold. BIG MISTAKE  WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IS BROUGHT AGAINST TRAVELOCITY for all their false advertising but maybe U.S laws do not apply to business that thrive by having their customer service dept in foreign countries.

NEVER booking through Travelocity again!

from Nowhere, USA

Comments about Travelocity.com:

I booked a flight through travelocity for work as they were the only ones who could seat me on the plane. I also purchased their cancellation insurance. Plans for my employment changed and I had to cancel the flight. Travelocity REFUSES to refund me my money! They claim my reasoning is not sufficient for their insurance policy. One of the sleaziest companies I have ever dealt with! They did not even try to help. I lost close to $900 due to this company.

Horrible Experience Ever!!!!!!

from TEXAS

Comments about Travelocity.com:

I booked everything flight, car and room and it was a joke to start had us at the wrong airport by the time we got to the other our flight had left had to wait 6 hours for another flight, got to Hertz to pick up car they would not give us vehicle without a credit check which whom want they credit ran like that but had already taken the money out of account, and then the room get there to stay in a hotel with no heat in December i was already cold from waiting on vehicle plus the room was a shoe box in size could turn around in bathroom you would bump into the walls no breakfast bed took up the entire room so that made the TV be right in your face we immediately called to cancel room the next morning we stayed the one night because of being tired they charged us the 1 night over $100 pictures online is a joke nothing like it picture had seating area no room for that no microwave no refrigerator NEVER BOOK THE WAYFAIR IN CALI you will be disappointed. NEVER USING TRAVELOCITY AGAIN I ONLY GAVE A 1 TO WRITE A REPORT IT REALLY WAS A ZERO, NUDDA, ZILCH

Good until there was a problem

from SLC, UT

Comments about Travelocity.com:

The pricing was great until I ended up being charged almost 3 times ADDITIONAL by the rental car company. The part that is awful it Travelocity just kinda said...Too bad!

Employees don't speak English clearly

from Portland, Oregon

Comments about Travelocity.com:

The airline made a schedule change necssitating us to change flights in order to meet a connecting flight. Dealing with Travelocity was difficult because the employees don't speak English clearly. One of the employees had such a high-pitched voice and strong accent that I could only catch a few words. I ended checking flights myself and telling the agent what needed to be done but it still took a long time including being put no hold for 30 to 40 minutes.

I would not recommend Travelocity unless it transferrs its call service to the U.S.

RUN DONT WALK AWAY FROM TRAVELOCITY!!!!

from Edwardsville, IL

Comments about Travelocity.com:

Just booked a recent trip to DC with Travelocity. True measure of a company is not when things are wonderful the true measure is how well they handle customers when a problem arises. AA changed our outbound flight, not Travelocity's fault, but it took 3 1/2 hours to take care of the problem and three different phone calls working with five different Travelocity agents, front line and supervisors. Not one of them could properly spell or pronounce "Douglas Hastings"! On the second to the last call I asked for verification that all was good with my reservations for flights and car. I was ensured all was good. Mistake I made was not writing down the name of the supervisor that was assisting me. When we arrived in DC we had no rental car reservation. The desk agent behind the counter brought me around the counter to show me where Travelocity had canceled my rental car reservation. Run don't walk away from this company! They have no option for a negative "Star" rating so I am forced to give them one star, they do not deserve any recognition! The star that you see in this review should be a negative 5 star OMG!

Site says only 4 rooms left and wasnt true

from York PA

Comments about Travelocity.com:

June 2015 I hurried and booked a room at Wilwood NJ bc this site said only 4 rooms left. We got to the hotel on the beach and there was only 4 cars the whole weekend at the 400 room hotel. Most all the hotels hadnt any cars bc it was beginning of June; the kids were still in school i dont trust these sites anymore bc of that

Horrible service

from Sierra Vista

Comments about Travelocity.com:

0 stars. The actual website is fine, but, I ran into an issue and had to deal with "customer service", and that's where they fall way short.
My wife and I traveled to China recently. We booked on travelocity, and the flight showed 1 layover. My wife is a Chinese citizen and I had to indicate such during the booking process. The flight to China was long and uneventful, and the layover was fine but long. However, on the way back, I called to change my flight from one airport to another. The airline (Eva) said that since I'd booked through travelocity, I needed to change through them. They also "reminded" me that I needed to have a travel pass for my wife. This was the first we had heard that a travel pass was required for a layover. We were 5 days away from flying and a travel pass takes 28 days to process. We called travelocity to see what could be done, and I spoke with a woman named Mia who spoke almost no English. It took 30 minutes of me saying something and then being put on hold (presumably for her to look up the English) before she understood my issue. She promised to call me back - meanwhile, I've been using my cell phone to make this call at an exorbitant rate per minute due to the international rate). No call back at the time she indicated, so I called back and spoke with another person (I don't remember his name). He was helpful but apologetic - this call belonged to Mia and he'd get her on the line. Another hour on hold and Mia came back on and said, basically "Too bad, not our problem", so I asked for a supervisor. She refused to turn me over to a supervisor. I called back and was put on hold for 1.5 hours while someone else tried to find a supervisor, eventually being transferred back to Mia who again refused to allow me to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor was rude, arrogant and said that it isn't their "job" to tell people about the rules of the airfare they sold. Then she hung up on me. I am completely done with travelocity. I'll book direct

Worst Customer Service !!!

from Jacksonville, Fl

Comments about Travelocity.com:

Attempted to contact Travelocity about a problem with the hotel on July 2. To date still have not received a reply

Extremely helpful staff

from Boise, Idaho

Comments about Travelocity.com:

Due to Canada's immigration policies, one member of our party could not go into Canada due to a dismissed DUI in the United States. Our hotel rooms were non-refundable. Stephanie at Travelocity contacted the Coast Bastion Hotel and received an exception to policy for us. We received a full refund. The helpful staff at Travelocity is the reason I regularly book vacation trips with them and will continue to do so. Thanks again Stephanie!

Terrible company

from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Comments about Travelocity.com:

I recently booked a hotel room through this company. When I received the charges and found that they were in US dollars, I chose to cancel, as it was too much money. I was not refunded the full amount. The company could not resolve the issue by email, even though I had received an email confirming that I would be refunded the full amount. I had to call, and when speaking to the representative Becky, she was very unhelpful and I had a long wait to speak with a supervisor. The issue is still not resolved. Although the company says that there are no cancellation fees, that is not necessarily true. Avoid booking with them at all costs in the future.