3.9
Other Travel Websites:
Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik)

Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik)

3.9

Pros

Cons

Driving Directions Plus

AAA is an organization with a reputation for providing useful information and resources to travelers.  Most of the benefits of AAA require that you buy a membership, but the TripTik application...Read complete review

AAA is an organization with a reputation for providing useful information and resources to travelers.  Most of the benefits of AAA require that you buy a membership, but the TripTik application is free.

TripTik is an online mapping application for traveling within the US and Canada, but there's a lot to it beyond simply getting directions.  The maps show the locations of hotels, attractions, restaurants, campgrounds, national parks, state parks, colleges and universities, cruise ports, golf courses, pro sports venues, ski resorts, airports, military bases, hospitals, and AAA offices.  You can get directions to any of these by simply selecting them from drop-down boxes when choosing your destination.  The only flaw I found in this quite extensive list is that the application only lists AAA approved restaurants and hotels.  Evidently, a lot of restaurants, especially fast food restaurants, aren't AAA approved,

While browsing the maps, you can choose to display any or all of the following: lodgings attractions, restaurants, events, Hertz rental centers, campgrounds, AAA approved auto repair shops, AAA member discount locations, gas stations, road construction info, and scenic byway info.  Clicking on any of these will give you more information, and in the case of hotels, you can enter dates to make reservations (at either member or non-member rates).  In the case of gas stations, the most recent price(s) for that station will be shown, if that information is known.

The TripTik application features travel guides for a number of locations around the country.  Each of these contains a lot of useful information, including recommended things to do and places to see.

When you decide where you want to go and get your directions, you can print them out just like with any other similar site.  The difference with TripTik is that the printout contains large maps of the steps of your directions, as well as road construction info, traffic precautions, and scenic byway info relevant to your trip.  To give you an example, in a couple of weeks, I'm taking a trip from my home in Lafayette, LA to Hattiesburg, MS.  The directions have 9 steps, but the printout is 7 pages.

There's a lot to TripTik, and folks at AAA apparently understand that.  TripTik contains a pretty detailed help section and a demo which shows off the various features of the application.

There are a number of places to get driving directions online, but TripTik is my favorite.  The amount of information contained within the application is astounding, and it's free.  I certainly recommend that you give it a try the next time you're taking a road trip.

Note- You can get to TripTik by going to the web site above, or you can go to aaa.com and look on the right side of the home page near the bottom.

Becoming irrelevant if it isn't already

In an age of many travel-review sites, online bookings, and GPS in (almost) every phone or car, AAA is struggling to stay relevant. Even the modest savings they offer for hotels or car rental (around 10% off) don't amount to much when deal sites give much deeper discounts. Perhaps the only thing I can say in favor of AAA is that it's easier to use for someone who is not Web-savvy and who doesn't want to spend a lot of time looking for new sites that help them save money. This person might prefer hardcopy maps and tourbooks. Now, hardcopies are great if your electronic devices run out of battery charge or malfunction, or if your Internet is out, but they can quickly become outdated and are a pain to carry (as well as a waste of ink and paper, once the trip is through).

The last time I used the AAA site for Texas must have been around 2007 or 2008. Frustrated with navigating the site and trying to find useful information, I simply never went back. Perhaps it has improved since then.

Features
I do not believe AAA's travel site offers anything beyond what other existing travel sites offer (discounts for hotels/flights/rentals), maps and tourbooks, restaurant and hotel reviews), plus AAA offers these goodies only to its members, not for free. So what purpose does AAA still serve?

Customer Service
When I used to request Triptiks and tourbooks, I always had an excellent experience with AAA's customer service reps. They were friendly and shared information about my travel destinations if they had been there themselves.

Great experience

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

THIS IS A COPY OF AN EMAIL I JUST SENT TO THE LOCAL AAA REGARDING THE YOUNG GUY THEY SENT OUT TO HELP ME THIS MORNING:

Just a quick note to say what a pleasure Ashton was to deal with this morning. I am in Atlanta from out of town to help take care of my mother following surgery at Piedmont Hospital and used her car to take my sister down to the airport early this morning. When I doubled back to town to come here to the hospital I ran out of gas just as I was pulling into the side street where I planned to park anyway [my fault…did not read her gauge properly and thought I had room to spare].

When I got to my mother's room and told her what happened she said "Oh! I have AAA" --- so I walked back to the car and called. The woman who answered, Donna, explained that as the actual member, my mother was supposed to be there when they show up. But after I explained the situation she waved the rule. Two minutes later Ashton called, introduced himself, and said that he would arrive within 20 minutes. Fifteen minutes later he pulled up as promised, handed me a bottle of ice-cold water, put two gallons of gas in the car [no charge], then gave me a lift back to the hospital [which was a ten minute walk up hill that I had already done once in July/Atlanta humidity].

Bottom line; I am enrolling my wife in AAA today so that she has someone to call if she is out with our kids in the car and something happens. Hopefully she will never need it…but if she does I hope it is someone like Ashton who shows up!

Thank you very much for the help.

P.S. And so you know, I asked Ashton for his name and your email address. He did NOT ask me to write.

Do not waste your money.

from Washington Court House, OH

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

I have been a member of AAA for 38 years. I recently had the worst and I mean worst customer service ever! I called my local office 4 times within a 2 week period and have not received a return call so I ended up calling another office and service was just as poor. If you need to make travel arrangements, do it on your own.....it is quicker, cheaper and less stressful. I will not be renewing my membership in September.

Declined a Stand-In

from Salem, NH

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

I've never had a problem with AAA before and have been a member for 9 years. I was NOT impressed with how I was treated this morning trying to get my car towed to a mechanic. My power steering is gone and I had to get a ride into work so my car was left at home with my boyfriend and my keys. I spoke with Mark(?) and was told he would have to get a "stand-in" approved by his supervisor - knowing I'm at work, knowing I need my car to get to a mechanic ASAP, knowing my boyfriend is at home with the keys and a valid driver's license - He never asked me for my membership number, which I told him I had on me. So he goes and speaks with his supervisor and I was declined having a stand-in because my BOYFRIEND is not a MEMBER. I don't understand this. They could have verified who I was over the phone, I vouche for my boyfriend, car gets towed and my car gets fixed! No problem. Instead, I had to have my Mother call - She gives the same information about the car, I'm at work, and my boyfriend is with the car - AND GETS APPROVED FOR A STAND-IN!!! I don't understand and I am very frustrated over something that should have been simple. I have to keep my membership - in case over emergencies like this - but this was very discouraging and I would not recommend new members at this point.

AAA is A++

from united states

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

Where to begin with Travel.AAA.com?! My husband and I were looking for a getaway and could not figure out what was the best vacation for us. With the assistance of Travel.AAA.com we were not able to be able to book our absolute dream vacation (without even knowing it) but we were able to get an amazing deal all at the same time. My mother-in-law recommended Travel.AAA.com to us and at first I was a little skeptical. We have AAA for our auto and home insurance but we had no idea that because of our membership, we had access to such amazing travel assistance as well. Thank you Travel.AAA.com for not only showing us multiple hotel options in various desired locations, but countless flight options within our limited travel window.

I would highly suggest that anyone with a AAA membership of any sorts check out Travel.AAA.com when booking their next vacation, road trip, or adventure. I was pleasantly surprised by all of the amazing options that were at our fingertips.

Apparently you can stop by your local AAA office as well and a representative will assist you with looking into travel options as well. From what I hear, they are mostly using the Travel.AAA.com website to assist you. There are also various travel booklets and literature available at your local AAA office as well.

AAA is awesome

from Austin, TX

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

I have been a member of AAA for several years, but I have not used their website to plan travel until recently. My husband and I used the AAA.com website to plan our anniversary trip to Hawaii. The website was easy to use and offered lots of features. One thing I like the best about using the AAA website is that you can view information they have from their magazine publication so you can read more in depth about where you are traveling to. They offer also information about travel insurance and discounts. The other aspect I like is being able to get maps and other brochures from aaa about where you are going on your trip. That is a very nice perk that you don't get with other sites.

good if you don't use it

from Charlotte NC

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

Used AAA from 2009 to 2015, the service was good, but the company decided my family used the service too much and dropped my PLUS membership to basic. They said we cost too much and I could not have PLUS for the next 3 years. I ask if there was a refund given to members that did use the service for a year? the answer was of course not. I fill this is a sorry way to run a business.

Don't get stuck, get with the dependable

from Florida

The good stuff

Total waste of time

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

First of all the AAA websites in general are a huge pain to navigate. They are constantly redirecting you from one page to another. Seriously, there has to be a way to make navigating through the AAA website and travel pages would be easier. I have never gotten a good deal from them either. I live in FL, and their discounts for the theme parks in Orlando were all of $3. Seriously? what's the point?

Their website is not user friendly AT ALL. The pages load slow, they have categorized everything to the point where it takes FOREVER to look through all the different options. I just want a view all option, just let me look at everything.

Features
Their search features suck, half the time it doesn't return what I am looking for, even though I know they have it because I was just looking at it the day before. So then I spend ten minutes looking through pages to manually find what I'm looking for.

Customer Service
Regular AAA customer service is AWESOME, the travel customer service, not so much. They don't really listen to what your needs or concerns are, and they try to hand you some line about the great deals they have, what great deals?

You Have to Be A Member but It is worth It

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

you have to be a member of AAA to use the AAA travel services but it is worth it. AAA has been offering travel tips, maps and other vacation ideas for as long as I can remember and the online site is great. You can check vacation trips by destinations such as Disney or bu various experiences such as cruises. The drop down menus are really easy to use and you can search and book hotels, flights and car rentals. you can search top deals, vacation packages , get directions and tourbooks and even search the weather forecast in the area you are planning on going to. They have Triple AAA vacations packages which I have never used but look great and include hotel stays, foods, flights and more for one price. You can also ask for a quote on a vacation. They always have customer service representatives available to help and 24 hour assistance. It costs about a hundred dollars a year to be a member but of course this includes all roadside assistance for your car and others that you may be driving in if it breaks down or needs to be towed. AAA Has been around for many years and I recommend it.

Not all the same

from Tampa Florida

Comments about Travel.AAA.com (Formerly AAA Triptik):

Not Booked 3 cruises and 2 all- inclusive pkgs through AAA in the last 2 years. . The quality of service depends on which agent you choose.

First I would highly recommend you use a branch closest to you, not the 800 line. Second interview the agent(s) first to get the right fit for your needs. Third keep on your agent to be on the lookout for better deals as they come up,

In my cruises agent, she is a very young woman, unmarried and is unfamiliar with special medical needs (I am a wheelchair user). What she seeks in cruising is much different than my husband and I (in our 50's). We have had to do our own research on ships as she finds deals on "party" cruises.

Important- if you book another cruise while on board or do an "open reservation" you must use AAA again to book or you will lose the credits( which are substantial). Found the same problem with our all- inclusive. AAA's policy will NOT transfer to another travel agency!

So be sure you are VERY happy with your agent and feel comfortable with another agent in case your leaves ( high turnover rate) Their "perks" and prices were not much different than what we found ourselves.

Depends who you get

Features
Found same deals on my own

Customer Service
They don't honor switches to other agencies!