View more laptops

Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC

Pros

Cons

Great Little Computer

I am really impressed with this computer.  it has ample space and it is fast.  i can play games on it or do my homework on it.  it doesnt over heat and has plenty of battery space.  its a great computer for a college student or professional.  at one point, i had a problem with the battery and toshiba fixed it free of charge, but i had to send it away and wait for it to be returned.  at least it came back fixed for free though so that outweighed the problem of having to wait.  it costs alot of money to pay an outside company to fix a computer so its nice that to have that backup.

so here is some info about what i have going on my computer incase that helps

i have i-tunes up and running with over 1,000 songs.

I have zoo tycoon and roller coaster tycoon set up (weird thing is though the newest zoo game wont run on this computer where the old one will.  i think its something with my personal computer but i just wanted to give a heads up incase its not just mine)

i also have toshiba games up and running on it as well with lots and lots of games.  this should come standard on the computer.

i watch dvds on it all the time

i had alot of massive word documents during my college years stored on it.

it of course supports a flash drive and my camera drive and also alot of other programed products

Not buying Toshiba again; mean it this time.

Several years ago, when I was starting as a freshman in college, I bought a Toshiba. It had some many problems interacting with the campus network that I returned it.  My opinion of the company's products was a bit negative from that experience.

Fast forward about 8 years and I decided to give Toshiba another try. The Satellite had all of the features I was looking for at the time and was at the right price.  However, this computer has one glaring feature that is quite the hassle to overcome: it overheats.

The computer can sit on a desk doing nothing, but still overheat.  If I put it on a bed or sofa, even for a few minutes, forget it. Every time it overheats, it shuts down.  I've tried putting it on a laptop cooler (the ones with the fan), but that seems to cause it to overheat faster!  I typically sit it in a position such that it has plenty of airflow underneath, but that only prolongs the time before overheating.

What I do to overcome this issue (and will do until the computer crashes, as I'm not one to buy new when current "works"): download a free internal temperature monitor. When the computer reaches over 170 degrees internally, I know to unplug it.  When on batteries, it does not overheat.  After leaving it unplugged long enough for the temperature to drop significantly (or the 45 minutes the battery lasts), I then plug it back in.

A good choice for my first laptop

from Liberty, KY

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

I like the feel of the key board. It was easy to get used to after using only a desk top computer for years. Full sized number pad is a plus.

Most of its features are easy to access and the built-in Toshiba help is useful.

Battery Life
While I have no basis for comparison, using the computer as directed and charging the battery up the first time and letting it drain according to what I was told, it still was more than 50% discharged in less than a year. The extra insurance I bought on the laptop paid for a new battery, but this one again is more than 50% discharged in less than a year. I don't know if that's normal or not, but thankfully I don't have to travel much with this pc, so I can keep it charged in.

Support & Service
They replaced my battery as promised. So far that's all I've need Service for. I've never contacted Support for anything.

Speed/Performance
Seems to be working fine. I only have a desktop XP for comparison, and this is hundreds of times quicker and faster. Even after more than two year's use, it still only takes a minute or so to turn and completely load everything.

Slim and not too heavy.

So far, so good, after 2.5 years.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

awesome!

from Eden Prairie, MN

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

Knowing the great workmanship that goes along with the name Toshiba, it did not let me down when I tried one of their laptops out.  I borrowed a two year old model and it ran without consequence for the solid week I used it.  And believe me, I never shut the thing off.

I had no problems with sound.  It was like talking face-to-face with my neighbor.  There was no static or hesitation whatsoever.  At first the noise level was a little higher than  I like, but that couldn't be helped.  If I put it down to where I normally would have it, I couldn't hear over the A/C wall unit in my living room.  I was able to put in the headset from my 1980's boombox, more chunkier than this little of 15" Toshiba, they fit just right and then I lowered the sound to a more comfortable zone.

Where there's a will there's a way and I wanted to play.

The grey color game me that, "I'm indistructable" feeling.  It was a firm solid shade that demanded respect.  And the visions throughout the different programs made my Acer netbook look very ill.

I am in hopes one day to afford a fully loaded Toshiba laptop.  I like the way they look and now more than ever, I love they way they respond.

mrsbj, eden prairie, mn

Everything was so easy to use. Directions were so easy to understand for setup. I would love to have one of my own.

Battery Life
Lasted as long as I needed it for without any loss of information

Support & Service
The one and only time I contacted customer support was great. I didn't have too long a wait to talk to an actual person; who knew what I was talking about.

Speed/Performance
That of course depends on your type of connection. But I had no problems getting from one point to another in record time.

The was the design was set up, was very convenient. With the number keypad off to the right is so much easier than across the top like another line of letters. The inlaid mouse right by my thumb made it easy for me to use when I couldn't find my wireless one.

Well I didn't chance throwing it across the room. It did stay fairly clean and cat hair free I was happy to find. Easily cleaned for tiny spots and the screen was simple as well.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

Toshiba Satellite C655 Lap Top-I love using this!!

from Lake Worth, FL

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

My husband gave this to me for my birthday because I complained about waiting for my four children to get off our other computers. So far, I am very satisfied with my Toshiba Satellite C655. It starts up quickly and runs quietly. My daughter who is a senior in high school and takes college courses asks to use my Toshiba Satellite C655 regularly because it runs quickly. I don't use the battery often but when I do there is enough life in the battery to use without having to plug it in. The only problem with my Toshiba Satellite C655 is that the sound quality and volume fluctuate while I listen to videos or movies. At times the sound is very soft. Other times it blares even though the volume setting is low. Overall I am pleased with my Toshiba Satellite C655 Lap Top.

Thankful to have my Toshiba

from Barksdale Afb, LA

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

I got my Toshiba Satellite L655 as an early Christmas present, since my 4 year old Dell was falling apart. While it certainly isn't the "best of the best" concerning notebooks, it is more than sufficient for what I use it for. The battery lasts for a decent amount of time being used unplugged, and quite some time unplugged with intermittent use on sleep. It also recharges quite rapidly as well. It has the wide screen which is nice if we decide to use it to watch movies on a trip. It has a full keyboard, which to me is much easier to use and also the extra number pad to the right side which comes in handy when bill paying. We don't play any elaborate games, but from what we do the graphics, color, and resolution is great.

Lovin it

from Midlothian, VA

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

I previously had a gateway labtop that I had for about 5 years. I was satisfied with it but for my birthday my husband bought me this lab top. I was thrilled to have a new lab top but thought I did not need one. Boy was I wrong. I love this new lab top. It has so many more features that my other computer did not have. I love the number key board on the side. It makes it so much easier to type in numbers. I also love the sleek new look. The size of the screen is just the right size for viewing. The only thing I would so is a little anoying but not enough to really make a complaint about is the mouse pad seems to be a little too left. When I am using the mouse pad I always have to look down because I have my other fingers on it. Overall for the price, look, and needs I would recommend this computer to anyone.

Loving the Toshiba Satellite

from Lynn, MA

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

I just recently bought the Toshiba Satellite L655 from Walmart. The price was pretty good for all the features that this laptop has. The screen size is awesome and perfect for daily use. I really enjoy using the built in webcam to skype with friends and family. There is also a face recognition software already built into this so that you don't have to type in a password everytime you decide to log in to your user account. The speakers are pretty good for a laptop. I trust Toshiba products and this is also a plus being that this laptop is from Toshiba. Another really good thing about this computer is that the touchpad is very efficient. In the past I have used other laptops and the touchpad sometimes goes bazurk on them, but on the toshiba satellite it always clicks where i want and does not wander. The only thing I don't like about this laptop is that the battery only lasts for 3 hrs.

worth the money

from Midlothian, VA

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

This labtop was a suprise for my birthday. I had a perfectly good 7 year old Gateway labtop that was just beginning to run slow. So, I did not think I needed a new computer anytime soon. Well my husband thought otherwise. We had purchased a Toshiba labtop for our business about a year before and he really loved it. So when he came home with this one, I was super excited. I have now had this for 2 months and love it. There are so many new features that were not on my old computer. I love the way the keyboard has a number keys on the side. The speed of the computer is great. Of course that may also have something to do with the speed of my old computer. I would recommend this computer to anyone looking for a new portable labtop. Great buy and great price

Toshiba Satellite Great for the Price

from Escondido, CA

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

I was looking for a laptop to work with the internet, and be able to use Word and Excel. I wasn't really looking for a gaming computer, or something I could watch movies on. This is a great basic computer. It's fast and works wonderfully. It's very user friendly, and it comes with a built in media card reader, which is nice to download my digital photos without a USB connector. The Toshiba Satellite is better than many computers in a higher price range. It doesn't come with a Blu-Ray, which is fine for me right now. The only downside is that while trying to watch videos, it stops often to buffer. But, again, if you're looking for a basic, user friendly for work or school computer, I cannot recommend this one high enough.

Gotta Love Toshiba Laptops (L655 Satellite) Now!!

from El Paso, TX

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

Got it at a relly good price!! I order this computer to upgrade from a Gateway! Wish by the way another well invested computer.

This Toshiba L655 allowed me to see my husand that is overseas. Great programs, easy to use, even my child enjoys it! He can stop using the "KidZui" he just loves it!!

The only thing i don't like is that has only 2 USB ports... I had to buy a external USB port connection that has more due to I have several things connected that requireds it!! But other than that I LOVE IT!!! One week and works magnificent!! Good for a student or a stay a home mom!!

I really recommend this laptop to anyone that is looking to upgrade from XP.

Lots of memory!

from Fort Mojave, AZ

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L655 Notebook PC:

A Christmas gift from my husband.

I am very happy with this notebook.

I pretty much am a shopper/emailer/facebook user!

It certainlyworks great for my needs. Way faster than my old HP.

It does run a lot hotter than my old HP though.