View more laptops

Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC

Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC

4.1

Reliable, Fast, and Stands Up to Rough Treatment

My Toshiba Satellite is an awesome laptop. I bought it to replace an Acer laptop that was just barely a year old and had broken buttons and a fried hard drive. I did research and read the reviews before I bought my Toshiba. I was comparing it to a Gateway and few others at the time. The reviews of the other laptops in my price range included complaints of battery problems, broken parts, and drive failures. For this Toshiba, the biggest complaint was that touching the lid leaves greasy fingerprints that are very noticeable. I thought to myself, who cares? From everything I read the machine was solid and reliable. If the worst problem is going to be fingerprints on the lid, then sign me up!

Overall, I have been extremely happy with this computer. The screen is very large and bright. The battery lasts a very long time, even now after I have used it for over a year. It is fast and capable of handling everything I need to do.

Yes, I have had a few problems, but I am still rating this laptop as excellent. The first problem I had was when I had just opened the box and began to set things up. I tried to burn the recovery discs, and I had a problem every time when it got to disc 2. I called the Toshiba tech support, and they told me to try a different brand of blank DVD disc. That didn't work, and I called them back. They walked me through a step-by-step process, and I was able to burn the discs. After that I used the laptop every day for over a year with no problems.

The only other issues I have had have been mostly my fault. I have dropped it quite a few times, and so far, no damage has occurred from that. I have spilled several drinks (soda, iced tea, coffee) both in and on this computer. It still works. However, my CD/DVD drive is sticky inside, and sometimes a disc will not play until I push on the door of the drive. I have no complaints about that, and I am actually surprised that it works at all.

Overall, this laptop has taken multiple accidents and abuse, and it keeps on going. I have used it many hours each day for over a year, and it has never let me down. I love this laptop, and I highly recommend it! And yes, the lid is covered in fingerprints! ;-)

Great when it's not in the shop

I have the L305D-S5868. Out of the box, it was great. It's fast, it's quiet, the display is beautiful, the sound is awesome. That was back in September 2008. Beginning in November of 2008, the laptop kept shutting itself off. Right in the middle of doing something *POP* and it was off. Turn it back on, everything was fine, until the next time. When it did it 3 times in an hour, I'd had enough. I called Toshiba (got the call center in India, naturally) and was asked if I had done a restore. It's an obvious hardware problem, so I didn't think losing my data would help. The CSR referred me to a local repair center. I was thinking "this is great! they have authorized local shops!" The guys at the shop were great. They immediately identified it as a motherboard issue, replaced it & had it back to me in 3 days. Two weeks later, same problem. I took it back. This time, new motherboard (again), new touch pad, new memory. An hour after I get home *POP* off it goes. I broke down & did the restore. 18 hours later, I walk away for 2 minutes, come back & it's off again. Now Toshiba wants me to ship it in, so they can fix it. We'll see how that goes. I've heard a lot of great things about these laptops. I guess I just got a lemon. If you get one & start having problems, back up your data regularly.

Durable Awesome laptop!

from Manhattan, KS

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

I have owned the toshiba L305-S5945 for around 2 years now. I got it as a highschool graduation present and it has been the best laptop i have owned so far. It is durable and can withstand some awesome force (I like to drop things! haha)... It is an easy typer as well. All of the keys have kept well for the 2 years that I owned it and it keeps battery life pretty well. It usually moves pretty fast but sometimes can freeze up if you have alot going on at once.

My Toshiba Satellite L 305 has everything I need and more

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

My Toshiba L 305 is reasonably light and small. Therefor handy to take with me. The modem is quick enough to watch movies without hinderances. Webistes and Emails open up without a problem. 3 USB ports is very useful to have because at times you want to do more than just use an USB stick. Now you can charge your Ipod, use a speaker system and a USB stick at the same time. It even survived cups of coffee and water spilled over it and having a knife trown at the back of the screen. What I don't like is the black shinny covering because it show all the fingerprints and spots on it. The button for the volume does not have a beginning or end, therefor it is difficult to mute the laptop before turning it off. The volume is also not loud enough to work without attitional speakers. Up to now I did not have any problems with it even after 1,5 years of intensive use. It stiil looks as new and functions that way as well. I am very satisfied with my Toshiba.

Still a great product when you use electricity. It has survived a lot of spills and falls and still functions.

Battery Life
After two years the battery only gives about 25 minutes and it has been this way for at least half a year. The battery only functions well for one year than it becomes rapidly less.

Support & Service
Did not need any support.

Speed/Performance
No problems.

The black shine surface shows everything. Every time your hand or fingers touch this it shows.

After 2 1/2 years it still functions very well except for the battery.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

The Toshiba Satellite laptop performs fast and accurately!

from Flushing, MI

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

The Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 does everything that I could have ever wanted from a high quality laptop. It performs accurately and much faster than I expected. It has an Intel Pentium Processor T3400, 3GB SDRAM and 250GB HDD. The 15.4" Digital widescreen Truebrite display is crystal clear and everything appears in almost high definition. A multi-functional laptop with a DVD SuperMulti and 802.11b/g wi-fi, Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor and Windows Vista operating system. This laptop came fully loaded and ready to use at a very reasonable price. I feel that the Toshiba Satellite is a great laptop for anyone; from those who are technologically challenged to those who appreciate a fast processor and a multi-functional computer with HD  widescreen technology.

Best computer for the price.

from Wentzville, MO

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

I took basic DOS in college. Yes, DOS and not because it was cool and retro and I am not 40 years old either. Windows has changed my world. I love this computer and all its features. My biggest gripe is that some of the software is only a sample. I can't recall the word they use but it means to say you got 90 days to come up with some serious cash if want to keep these programs. The most important was an anti-virus/spyware/and firewall protection. These programs I feel are pretty important and basic, but after asking around very few lower cost laptops come with these. I adore Skype. It took awhile before I activated it because I refused to believe it was free. I now use it just to annoy friends and tease them about there appearance and what not. Overall, a good buy for someone like myself. Some one looking to join the times but not be too overwhelmed.

This is a great laptop!

from Millport, AL

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

This is my first time for a new laptop just for me. I have always had to take the hand-me-downs from my daughter. I really like my new Toshiba. It has the new Windows 7 and it works great.It operates as much faster than the old one I was using. The main reason I bought it is to have a computer when I travel and this one will be just perfect. It is light weight and easy to carry from place to place. I know I will enjoy years of fun with my Toshiba.

Great laptop for simple users!!

from Arlington, TX

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

The first computer I ever purchased was a Compaq laptop, it was great at first but slowly but surely began to fall apart piece by piece. I was then and forever turned off to the idea of purchasing a Comapq computer so when I was in the market for a new laptop I asked around and a few of my friends had Toshiba laptops and so after a lot of thought I chose **Toshiba Satellite L305 (883974223084) PC Notebook**. I absolutely love this Windows Vista based little machine. I have not had many issues with the operating system nor the laptop itself, connects to the internet easily, wireless and wired alike.

The only con to my laptop would be the keys have began to pop off after about three years but they were easily fixed.

Overall I would absolutely suggest a novice user or someone who does not use their computer for a plethera of things to give it a shot, its priced competitively, easy to find and was a fairly good deal.

Most reliable brand.

from Connersville, IN

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

Toshiba's Satellite Laptop is very dependable.  This laptop is fast and user-friendly.  It comes with Windows Vista Home Premium, Norton 360, built in web, built in WiFi, and much more.  Another great feature is the DVD/CD reader and writer.  It has great sound and picture.  Toshiba's Satellite is very light and easy to travel with.  Many USB ports are available all around the laptop.  This makes it easy to connect other electronics.  All the tool bars are easy to use.  If your not familiar with Windows Vista, there is help on understanding how to work it.  This is a great laptop from a great company.  I would recommend this brand to anyone that is looking to purchase a laptop.

There is a small downfall though, if you are a game person most of the games are trial only.  There are very few games that are permanent.  Other than that, I can not find anything wrong with Toshiba's Satellite Laptop.

I love my Toshiba Satellite Laptop

from Fond Du Lac, WI

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

This particular Toshiba Satellite  laptop model L305-S5941 is a great buy for the money.  It offers everything an everyday pc user would want except the speakers are not the greatest.  This is my 2nd Toshiba Satellite laptop and I have been pleased with both of them.  I was able to sell  my 1st one for a premium price even though it was 4 years old.  I only replaced it with this Toshiba Satellite because I wanted a faster machine and Vista.  This Toshiba has it all.  It offers the Core 2 Duo processor and even though it's not the top speed, it proves itself time and time again.  The laptop starts up fast, responds quickly to commands and overall is a great little computer.  It is not a "gaming" computer as that would take a bigger graphics card, but for the everyday user, this computer is wonderful.  It has a 200 GB hard drive and 3 GB of RAM.  The processor proves itself time and time again.  I have never had a memory problem and the display is good.  Battery life could be a bit longer, but I, personally, am plugged in most of the time. All in all, this is a nice little laptop!

Toshiba could care less

from Whitehall, PA

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

I was happy with My purchase of a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5934 laptop until it came time to have it repaired under the Toshiba Warranty. The computer was shipped to their repair depot  on june 24 and returned on July 2 seems like a short turn around time except the computer was not repaired when it was returned. I called their repair depot as was told they would send Me a new box to return the computer to the repair depot. They were totally unconcerned that the computer was not correctly repaired in the first place. The computer is currently in West Verginia doe to the method of shipping choosen by Toshiba. The computer could have been shipped by Priority Mail through the USPS for the same cost and arrived by Noon on Tue. Instead it is sitting in West Verginia waiting for UPS to take two days to send Me a box and Two days for them to ship the computer some 691 miles by air? to Louisville Ky. By Air sounds more like by truck to Me. And Toshiba is totally unconcerned.

The reaction of Toshiba is there is nothing you can do about it so just sit back and except the fact that you are powerless and it is mind over matter. We don't Mind and You don't Matter. I would not recommend the purchase of this modle of Toshiba Computer or any Toshiba product for that matter. When it come time for warranty service to Toshiba you don't matter.

I LOVE my Toshiba Satellite laptop.

from Richmond, KY

Comments about Toshiba Satellite L305 Notebook PC:

I was returning to college after a few years away. I really needed a good computer to do my homework. Being that I have two kids and cannot easily take the time to visit the school computer labs, I needed a good home computer. I looked all over for the best computer for the lowest price.I finally heard about this Toshiba Satellite computer. The salesman was very helpful in going over the specifics. I decided to buy it. Since bringing my Toshiba Satellite home the entire family has enjoyed hours of computer fun as well as using it for school.

We can enjoy things like making DVD movies right on the laptop. My eight year old loves it for the web capabilities. She is able to easily access her favorite gaming sites. The parental controls help keep her where she is supposed to be as well. I have even been able to find some good sites that my one year old enjoys. No matter what we do on our laptop it can handle the job in record time. Thank you Toshiba!