View more laptops

PSAA2U
Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC

Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC

Daily Use for Over a Year and Still Happy

Need a workhorse, reliable laptop computer that can frequently be found on sale in large office supply chains? Look no further than the Toshiba A105 Satellite.

Mine is a media...Read complete review

Mine is a media center computer with a wide screen, making it a bit heavier than some laptops, but I spend 6-8 hours a day looking at the screen and am an avid reader and video watcher, so I am thoroughly satisfied with this machine.

My unit came with XP, with the promise of a "free Vista upgrade", which I never received, but from what I've heard, that's not much of a loss other than for the fact that I am limited to 32 bit processing. Still, I expected them to make good on the offer, something they have refused to do. Other than that, I have had absolutely no problems or complaints.

I recently carried the computer in a backpack (I use crutches) on a lengthy trip and found it a bit heavy compared to the tiny, high-priced machines you normally see business users with on airplanes, but the weight was still manageable.

I use a chill mat with my laptop because it will get warm over time, but the machine still does a reasonably good job of diffusing heat through the side vents due to ample heat-sinks and a cooling fan.

If I had to do it over again, I would purchase another Toshiba Satellite without a moment's hesitation! I've already gotten much more than my money's worth out of this one.

The sound bite is very low on this toshiba laptop computer .

This Toshiba Satellite laptop is a good starter computer . I have really enjoyed my laptop but there are a few issues that could be improved on this model . The speakers are not good at all if you are looking at movies or listening to music you have to listen through ear phones because the sound is not loud enough. I have also noticed the more information you store on the hard drive the  slower this computer gets and it will freeze up easily so I would not suggest this model to someone needing a lot of storage space . Basically this computer is great for surfing the internet , checking emails , creating photo albums /slide-shows , making your own greeting cards , address books etc....just everyday issues. I would recommend backing up all of your work onto a thumb drive because as I stated before this model freezes up frequently if over loaded with too much information at one time .I would not recommend this computer to anyone looking for a laptop for there business.

Toshiba Satellite series

from Salem, MO

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

I have had this laptop for several years and it is great. It got a virus once but AVG caught it and removed it promptly. I can do absoutely anything on this the next thing to a desktop! Travels easily, superfast connection, the power you need! I keep a chillmat under it and its keeps on working even when I have downloaded something dumb it takes care of all my problems. It has very simple instructions, just plug it in and power up. The only problem I have had with it is occasionally the buttons fall off and you have to replace them is that me or does it happen to all laptops? I have personal issues with personal items so I never use it for that. You can probably tell I can surf and find everything but when it somes to knowledge of how it works and the componets I am pc dumb. It suits me though I can email and send photos with ease. Make lists using wordpad calculations, etc. If you do lots of spreadsheets and things like that I have no clue how long it would hold up.

simple to operate

Battery Life
Average

Support & Service
You can't understand anything they say via telephone

Speed/Performance
Its ok but the memory is not big enough, you can't run more than 1-2 operations at a time

I would never buy another one because it has a very slow processing time.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

So far so good

from Davenport, IA

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

I've owned the Toshiba A105 for over a year now.  I haven't had any problems with it at all. I use it every day for several hours.  I have a few friends who are trying to recruit my into getting a MAC and I might, but not until this one bites the dust, which I hope isn't for another few years. I think it was an average product for the price.

Using this laptop right now, still good for everday use.

from Kearny, NJ

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

I am using this very laptop as I type this review because its my everyday laptop.  I tried replacing it with a netbook since they're lighter, better battery, and...well thats it, but netbooks just lack the power to browse the web like it need them to.  The A105 still to this day does the job, even with 25+ tabs open in firefox it doesnt slow down or anything.  I added 1gb of ram 2 years ago and it was worth it for multitasking.  The battery on this gave out about a year ago, but toshiba has a recall on them and will replace it for free.  I'm contimplating putting a ssd and more ram on this to give it 1 maybe 2 more years of life before it utlimately becomes obselete.  It is also pretty good at watching movies, although the speakers aren't too good, but the display is nice and sharp.  The trackpad is nice for when you dont have a mouse, its not intrusive and you dont accidentaly hit it when your typing.  My main complaint with this laptop is its inability to boot from USB.  Even after updating the bios from toshiba's website to 2.30 the BIOS still doesnt support USB booting.

Toshiba Satellite A105-S2081 has served me well in Work & Play.

from Fort Myers, FL

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

I bought this laptop to be able to work from my then boyfriend's home while he was recovering after getting out of the hospital.

This was my first laptop purchase and I did not really have any planned features I needed when I went to look for a laptop, other than it needed to:

1.  Have internal modem and fax capabilities.

2.  Enough storage space to save my medical dictations and lots of them.

3.  Easy on the eyes monitor as I am constantly looking at the screen for hours while working.

4.  Keyboard easy to work with as I was used to a regular sized keyboard.

5.  External mouse compatible.

6.  External speaker compatible.

7.  Lightweight.

I have had this laptop about 5-1/2 years and I have not had one problem with it to date.  The wrist rest area is somewhat worn, but that has nothing to do with its performance; due to constant use.  My laptop runs 16 to 20 hours per day, 7 days per week.

The only complaint I have with this laptop is that I am unable to take it apart and clean it myself. I do have to take it in every 6 or 8 months to have the insides cleaned from dust and dirt to keep it from getting too hot on the side where the fan is located.

I give this laptop an overall rating of 9.5.

Toshiba Satelite A105 #1 Laptop for almost 7 years!!

from Kealakekua, HI

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

These are one of those products that last forever! I've had mines for about 7 years now and not one disappointment yet! I love my laptop i take wherever i go because it's super lite, has top-notch Wi-fi system for those of you who like to travel, and comes with a headphone jack for personal listening time. The greatest feature is the excellent video system i love to work on mini projects with their user-friendly programs. Two thumbs up!

The sound bite is very low on this toshiba laptop computer .

from Cades, SC

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

I have used and abused my Toshiba Satellite laptop for 5 years.

from Winter Springs, FL

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

I have used, abused, and loved my Toshiba Satellite laptop for 5 years now. I am a full-time Realtor and have dragged this rugged laptop on appointment after appointment with great reliability. The battery life is average as far as laptops this age are concerned. However, I have never had to replace the battery, and it still holds a full charge with no problem. I have dropped it thrown it spilled in it you name it and it still works great. I would recommend and will buy a Toshiba laptop in the future. In terms of memory and functionality the electronics have performed excellent over the years. I have had no problems with lost memory, files, speed etc. I have no idea how the Tech support for Toshiba works because I have never had to call them to try and get parts or service in 5 years. that is an eternity in computer hardware; not to mention the incredible amount of abuse I have levied upon the poor little computer. If you are tired of replacing batteries memory chips or motherboards give a Toshiba a try.

A105-S4094 works, but not many good things to say.

from Waconia, MN

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

Have gone through 3 harddrives and two batteries in two years on this computer.  I typically use it for Word, Excel and the Internet.  I don't think I would recommend this computer to anyone.  The large screen is a nice feature.  The sound also broke within two years.

The Toshiba Satellite is a valuable choice for a college student

from Tucson, AZ

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

I enjoy using the Toshiba Satellite computer because it does everything I need it to do. I am a college student so I use it all the time, especially when I am taking online classes. When I am not in school I am surfing the web or playing games. It runs fast and does everything I need it too. When my friend recommended it I did not know about it because I hadn't heard about it before but because she has one, and loves it, I was okay looking into buying one. The battery even lasts awhile too. Even after my guinea pig chewed up the power cord it was tough and the battery still lasted awhile after every charge. Now I have had my laptop for a little while and it was at a good price at Best Buy. Seeing as how I needed one for college anyways I bought it right then and there. It was really easy to set it to how I need to have it and had features that I didn't even know existed back then. I really enjoy using the Toshiba Satellite and would recommend it to anyone who needs to buy a laptop.

Great buy and reliable workhorse.

from Schaumburg, IL

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A105 Notebook PC:

Toshiba, in my opinion, makes a great computer that is reliable and a real workhorse. It has bells and whistles that I don't even use or have explored, but for everyday usage, you can't beat it. I've had mine for over three years now and not once in the repair shop. How many other computers can you say that about.

The con to it:  Low battery life when portable.