Other Leaf Blowers:

Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller

Pros

Cons

• Handling:

The Toro Ultra sucks... leaves, lots of leaves!

When it came time to purchase a blower/mulcher I spent some time researching various models and ultimately decided on the Toro Ultra. The fact that it has a metal impeller played a large role in my decision, and I have had absolutely no problems with over 2 years of use.

Most of the time, I use it to suck up and mulch large piles of leaves. While the mulching ratio may be a bit optimistic, it is more than adequate and comparable to what I have seen with other mulchers. Without out it, I would have 20 bags of leaves sitting on my curb instead of 4 or 5.

It is also a blower, and had more than enough power to handle the task… even wet leaves are no match with the included nozzle.

The variable speed dial is a definite plus. It allows you to turn down the power to vacuum up leaves in a bed without also sucking up all of the bark mulch or bedding material. It also allows you to be more precise when blowing leaves and debris around, without just scattering it all over.

My only complaint would be that it is a bit difficult to switch between blower and mulcher because, even after 2 years, the latch is quite stiff. Other than that I couldn’t be happier.

Alot of pros and cons with this machine!

Hey everyone!

Alright I bought this blower/vac mainly for the vac function. I got it about two days ago and here are my findings.

Pros:Read complete review

Hey everyone!

Pros:

Lets break it down a bit

1. The main reason i chose this vac/blower is because it has a metal impeller. In my yard when the leaves fall on the ground its not just pure leaves i do have occasional small pebbles or twigs. Ive read alot of complaints about other vacs that the impeller is made of plastic. It just didnt make sense for me to spend that much money and have it break in the first week so i chose this blower.

2. It does have an adjustable dial. I didnt think much of this feature till i actually used it. I have an older toro leaf blower it works great but when your trying to make a pile its card to control the leaves and corner them. This feature allows u to slow the airflow pushing the leaves to you can round them up.

3. Leaf mulching feature. I recently started my garden so reading about leaf mulch and organic fertilizing with leaf mold i thought this was very useful feature.

4. The blower features i see no flaw

Cons:

1.Right out of the box i saw that when you want to use the blower you have to attach this guard over the metal impeller at the base of the blower. It is a not the most complicated thing but for me personally i thought that by hooking plastic parts together and then snapping them in...just seemed like a potential area for breaking. Idk if anyone has actually broke the hinge but if they were to it would make this machine as a blower totally unsafe

2. Dust flys everywhere when you vacuum! some how the design of the bag isnt so great. You have a fabric bag that seems pretty sturdy and you have a zipper on the bag. Again this is pure speculation but having to use a zipper for a bag that has small shredded leaves to me just means that the zipper wont last too long. Dirt and zippers dont usually work so well.

3. The vacuum function is a bit difficult and not very ergonomic. The vacuum  tpiece is a huge tube that fits on the bottom of the blower so you are holding this machine from the top. Its not really designed well to be used as a vacuum for a long period of time.

4. The bag straps suck. Its super hard to figure out how to carry the bag... Im not so sure you would want to. Once you start vacuuming the bag swells up and dust starts to fly  so if you carry the bag ull get it all over ur clothes. The give u a cheap strap thats not really adjustable so if your a bit short id see that you would have one heck of a time wearing it.

5. The vacuum tube is super long another potential problem for short people

6. Not a powerful vacuum. If you think that youll be zipping through your yard vacuuming everything up... you seriously need to think again lolz. (I actually bought it for this reason lol). I thought that i would be saving alot of time. In anycase if you use the blower and make a pile then vacuum its a good device but if you think that ur just going to start vacuuming the ground oh... your going to be ripped by the end of the day lolz.

7. As a blower the weight is fine you dont really feel it to be heavy. As a vacuum it is super heavy. I think its just the way they designed to hold it.On top of that the bag gets heavy super quick.

8. If you think that from the mulcher you'll be getting some finely chopped leaves another misconception. Its just coarsely broken up. I dont really mind but personally i thought it would super fine.

9. Again the plastic althought it seems pretty strong when you change from blower to vac i always get the feeling that the hinge is going to break.

10. Short cord. I dont really mind the short cord that they give but i think that in my older blower they had a better design where you can lock in the cord. It really sucks when your coord gets pulled out in the middle of working.

11. I dont have a large yard to work with but If i did the vac function would probably be too much trouble. The blower is great.

Conclusion:

So far I havent had too many problems with the device other then the awkward position, the dust issue with the bag . For the price its a good blower. If you are going to buy a blower this would be the best bet because its not too expensive. For a vac functions because it has a metal impeller i would say its good feature. im 100% you would be faster with a rake as compared to vac functions. The mulching is a good feature. A bit of techinical things when converting to a mechanical force gas is better then electric. Even so this isnt a bad blower to buy. If you have tons of pure leaves no stones or larger twigs this can be an awesome tool. For everyone else use this blower and a rake lol. As a side note i find it funny how people say "electric is enviornmentally friendly" lol use your hands its much better then either one. :)

Solid leaf blower

from Utah

About Me Do-It-Yourself

Pros

• Easy to Use
  • Powerful
  • Quiet

Cons

• Blowing Leaves
    • Mulching Leaves

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

After moving into our own house, we bought this leaf blower for clearing leaves out of some rock flower beds and a garden that has above-ground sprinkler lines running through it. It works well for blowing leaves out, and the vacuum also does a good job of getting leaves out of hard to reach areas where the blower can't get them out into the yard. The one thing to be careful of is vacuuming around smaller rocks or gravel, as small pieces can go up and damage the impeller. But overall, it has worked well. It was very easy to assemble, and it is easy to switch between blowing and vacuuming. The vacuum is designed to reduce eight bags of leaves down to one bag of shredded leaves, so it saves a lot of trash bags and space when taking trash to the dump. The electric motor is much quieter than a gas blower, and it doesn't give the problems starting that a gas blower sometimes has. I would highly recommend this leaf blower, especially when working in smaller areas where it is not too big of a pain to move a cord around.

Awesome leaf blower -real simple

from Indiana

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

Easy to use, lightweight leaf blower. Gets the job done no matter what the size of the job is. I like it mostly for blowing out my garage and driveway, but it works great on leafs too.

Weight
    It's lightweight, so you don't feel like your carrying a few milk gallons like the gas leaf blowers

It does a great job at removing leafs and debri at any speed setting, I find the med setting works the best. Has a few different blowing settings all which are perfect for that job whether it's just light stuff or major leaf pickup either one this leaf blower doesn't an excellent job.

Handling
    Super easy to hold and the cord does not get into your way. Very easy to move around with

Since it's lightweight it is easy to get around with it. Also it's not super huge so it's easy to manuver around unlike the gas powered ones. The cord is also a good length it's perfect for the standard garage and driveway.

We've had ours for a few years now and it runs perfect everytime with no issues.

• Handling:

Toro Leaf Blower - a good buy!

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

I purchased this blower last fall and it is easy to use and does a great job. Besides blowing leaves it mulches and is great for my compost pile. This is a product I would recommend, it is sturdy and I am sure I will get many years of use out of it. Although it is not recommended, last winter I did use it to blow some snow off of my deck and it worked for me. I would not recommend using it for this purpose but it is good to know if you are in a bind.

Weight
    It is great for my husband to use and I can use it but it is somewhat cumbersome for myself if I add the attachments.

Performs great and does a great job of cleaning leaves without breaking your back. Makes leaf cleaning very easy.

Handling
    I had no problem putting it together and it is very easy to use..

Directions are very simple and the product itself is very easy to assemble and use..

I believe this piece of equipment will last a very long time with proper care and handling.

• Handling:

Toro still on the right track with their "Ultra" leaf blower.

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

This is a great little unit for the money. It is electric, light weight and easy for me to handle. It has the necessary power needed to get the job done.

Weight
    We had a leaf blower that did a great job of blowing the leaves etc. from the yard. The problem was it was so heavy that I could not handle it for any length of time. This unit is great and it has turned out to be a real work horse. It is so difficult for me to get rid of something like this when it still works okay but in this case it was a good decision and I am so glad that we went ahead and made the change to the Toro Electric Leaf Blower.

This unit has the necessary power to do the job. We have a lot of area that is what would be considered a desert landscape and a leaf blower is a really important tool. We need it to run for long periods of time without overheating and to have enough power to do the job quickly. Quite a challenge to find a unit that measure up to the challenge. "Toro" is a good brand and the "Ultra" model is a great model.

Lightweight but powerful

You don't have to be muscles to use this unit.

We haven't had it long enough to determine but I would be willing to buy another one.

• Handling:

Good starter model for a medium sized area.

from Troy, NY

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

Like all electric blowers, it's not particularly powerful. 4 years in running, it still works fine. You have to learn the best way to use it.

Heavy.

Handling
    Due to its weight, it could get tiresome for a big yard and lots of leaves.

• Handling:

The Toro Ultra sucks... leaves, lots of leaves!

from Garland, TX

Toro 51599 Ultra 12 amp Variable-Speed Electric Blower/Vacuum

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

This blower is a lot easier to use than I thought it would be. It is electric, so I thought the extension cord would be a hassle, but it really is no more of a hassle than a vacuum cord is. Yes, you have to drag it along behind you, but no messing with gas or oil or charging are all big pluses in my book. The blower has a variable speed, so it's not just 'high', 'medium', 'low', which means you have a lot more control. Also, the impeller is metal- not plastic. I'm thinking this means longer life span for the blower. With plastic, if something were to get lodged it could bend or break it. It is light-weight, and easy to carry- easy to handle. I was very surprised at the strength of the blower! For the price, I was afraid it might be wimpy, but I was very pleased.

I love my Toro Leaf Blower

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

The Toro 51599 Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller is a really nice piece of equipment. I enjoy using this leaf blower each time as I find it very relaxing and easy to use.This is the best leaf collector I have ever used. It has excellent power for such an extremely light unit. Toro has a new companion product which allows you to directly vacuum the leaves from your pile to a container. When I am using it, I just dump the container on the compost bin. This streamlines the leaf collection and saves my back, as I have no heavy bag resting on my shoulder. A person could just as easily vacuum the leaves through the adapter into a bag, which they could then put out at the curb. This product really moves leaves quickly. Also, the cord clamp that comes with it keeps the cord from becoming an annoyance. I would recommend this leaf blower to my friends and family members so that they can have a really good leaf blower to use.

I really like the Toro 51599 Ultra Blower/Vac

from Bethesda, MD

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

I have had the Toro 51599 Ultra Blower/Vacuum for about six months (one season of use).  Overall, I am happy with it.

As the name describes, this unit has two main functions.  First, it allows you to blow leaves (or other light debris) in your yard.  I thought the blower showed a lot of strength and was able to move the leaves around my yard well.

Second, the unit can vacuum up leaves or other light debris (it is really mean for leaves or other soft things - hard objects like sticks create problems).  The vacuum worked well on hard/paved surfaces (like my back patio).  It took more effort by me to be able vacuum up things from the lawn - maybe items were more dug in?  Whatever is sucked up is then cut up by the metal impeller and turned into mulch.  This mulch is deposited right into a bag attached to the unit.  You empty the bag by unzipping it and dumping out the contents - it kind of gets messy, because it can be hard to completely clear the bag, which is a downside.  And, while the bag has a shoulder strap, I find it awkward to put and keep on.

You can easily modulate the power used either when blowing or vacuuming by turning a dial up or down.  I found it useful to use lower power when I was blowing/vacuuming leaves near bushes or sensitive vegetation.

Another major plus of the unit it that it is electric - you just plug it in.  You also can use up to a 150 foot extension cord.  I did not want to fool around with a gas machine and this electric one supplied more than enough power for me.

One negative is when you switch between blower and vacuum.  To do so you have to disconnect and reconnect a few parts.  You can do it, but it is a pain and is probably harder than it should be (this is the main reason it got four instead of five stars).

Good Product!

from Anderson, SC

Comments about Toro Ultra Electric Leaf Blower/Vacuum w/ Metal Impeller:

This leaf blower works pretty good and I'm overal satisfied with it. It's good but it's not the best so you'll have to keep that in mind. It's good if you have a few trees in your yard and a light covering of leaves on the ground but if you have lots of trees and heavy leaf built up then it's not a great blower actually so you'd wanna get a more powerful blower. No blower will work though if the leaves are wet and caked together and you'll have to use a garnden rake to get those up. This leaf blower is best if you do regular blowing to make sure and not get build up and then it's just fine and works great so people don't put off that leaf blowing that you can do today and put it off till tomorow lol. The leaf blower is somewhat quite as well so it's not loud and annoying which I like and it also has mutliple speed selections but I just like to keep it on the heaviest setting because why wouldn't you? lol