Other Snowblowers:
Toro

Pros

Cons

NO MORE SNOW

In the DC area we just got our first real snow storm of the winter.  It came in at about 8 inches, but hey, we had 3 blizzards last year so we are due a little respite.  This is not a gasoline powered machine and it is NEVER going to be as strong and fast as a gas powered snow blower.  I bought this when we moved to Chicago a couple of years ago where it snow frequently and often, but not big huge dumps as we have had here in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast.  It will not throw 24 inches of snow, but it will throw 12 inches.  Yes, you have to move the cord.  Seriously, not much harder than putting on your socks.  If you have a long driveway, get a LONG extension cord.  We do have a long driveway and we had about 7 to 8 inches of snow yesterday and into the night.   In about 45 minutes, my husband had the driveway clear.  Yes, I bought it for HIM.  Last year when we had 33 inches, we had to shovel down the first foot plus before it would work, but my neighbors with larger machines were either plowing every few hours or shoveling down the first few inches.  I think this is an excellent machine for the money and it is really a great workhorse for people who live in homes with less surface area that needs to be plowed or areas where huge snowstorms are less likely.  Also very easy to maneuver for those who can't handle heavier machines.  The biggest drawback is that I live in the third world country of Montgomery County Maryland where PEPCO can't keep the power on when it is beautful outside.

great for huge snow removal that doesn't break your back

Growing up in Chicago, you don't really belong in the neighborhood until you own a snow thrower.  Shovels just don't cut it if you're going to have any chance to keep a cleared driveway during the winter.  If you live somewhere the gets huge snowstorms, a snow thrower is a must!  The 18-inch size isn't too heavy for a woman to push (the 28-inch is mammoth!) and is easier to store during the summer.  There is plenty of power with the small size.  The major con is having to plug it in, but if you don't have to do the manual work it's well worth the price of a long extension cord.  Plus, you save money by not having to fill oil or gas tanks.  Which only helps keep the snow thrower light weight.  You can fold down the handle to make it more compact for storage.  The throwing distance is perfect - 30 feet from the driveway is great so as to be able to clear a wide driveway without piling up on the edges.  It clears right down to the pavement so there is no fear of ice build-up.  All in all, the perfect light-weight snow-thrower!

Toro 1800 Power Curve Pulley-Assembly-Idler

from Silver Spring, MD

About Me Do-It-Yourself

Pros

• Clears to the Pavement
  • Lightweight
  • Maneuverable
  • Throws Far

Cons

• Driveway

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

For the Toro Power Curve 1800 electric snow blower, the Pulley Assembly Idler (Part # 73-5730) is no longer available - anywhere. But if it has gone bad, usually it may be that one or both of the two bearing needles (Part # not shown in Toro Manual) have worn out. They are inexpensive and easy to replace. Their generic number is J-65 – available from dealers via E-Bay. I bought two Torrington J-65 C Drawn Cup Needle Roller Bearing – Open End 3/8" ID x 9/16" OD x 5/16" Deep for a few dollars plus shipping. If this works for you as it did for me – you can keep your old USA- made snow blower and save a good deal of money.

Wonderful acquisition for not so nice Chicago winters

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

Best tool to use for Chicago winters and it's an awesome thrower. You can adjust for whatever environment and tight spaces with minimal maintenance.

Easy to start and use, you can blow snow to just about any length you need around a normal property. Pile it all in one place if you like to make a snow slide. Very strong so it tends to shake you a bit if you don't get a strong grip on the handle.

Handling
    Very easy to handle as it self propels to a certain degree and you mostly guide it in whatever direction you want to go. You can easily go backwards if you tilt and pull back and just be ready to walk behind it as you can get some good speed depending on amount of snow.

As with any Toro, it will last and last as long as you give it some decent maintenance and that does apply to any machine but Toro makes some good quality machines.

Just fill with gas and don't forget to add the mix to it, turn the key and 2 pumps on the gas. Pull the engine cord and get ready to maneuver it.

Engine Power
    This blower can handle any amount of snow even twice the size, just go under and then let the rest drop and go again and it can go for hours in a row as I have put it to the test.

Money maker

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

For the past seveal years m brother has borrowed our snow blower throughout the winter and walked from house to house getting paid for clearing drive ways and walk ways for other people. The snow blower is very effective and easy to operate and manage. Its maneuvering ability is excellent, better than had expected for it to be. It makes clearing walk ways much easier especially because nobody wants to stand out in the cold shoeling cold hard to move bck straining snow.

from Darlington, WI

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

Overall this snow blower is quite versatile,easy to use,We use on the deck which is 40 by 40 we cut it in 20 foot squares and it blows it right off just fine.It can be 8 inches deep and works well.Lightweight it is easy for my girlfreind to do.The power in this little machine really makes it easy.Electric no fumes.It's a good size for people with a small space to store snowblower.

For the size of the snowblower it works great.Being electric no gas no oil you dont have to worry about it not starting cause carburater is messed up from old gas,No spark plug to bother with.

Handling
    Very easy to handle.Lightweight,turns well,cleans snow in a jiffy.

We have had for awhile with no problems considering we live in Midwest and accumulate alot of snow so it gets a workout.

Plug it in and hit the swith.No pull cords,no wondering if gonna run it just goes.

Engine Power
    It's built the right size for the power it has.Power is Great.

Toro Is A Powerful Blower

Love it!

Superb machine!

Handling
    I never grow tired using this machine great for getting the snow out of the way. I have less stress using this.

Wonderful snow blower.

Well worth the price, had this snow blower for a year and 4 months. still runs the same

runs great!

• Engine Power:

Great for areas with a lighter amount of snow.

from Crocker, MO

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

I really love this snow blower. We sometimes will get a lot of snow, but its still nothing compared to other areas. We usually just get a little bit. I have a small yard, and just need to clean off the area by my porch and the path to the driveway to get to the cars. The reason I love this is because you just plug it in! No oil or gas, which makes it easy to maintain and clean up after. It will blow the amounts of snow I need it to, a few inches at most is what we usually get. It's not a big machine to store, and will fit in my small storage shed and I can get it out when I need it. Highly recommend for areas with less than a foot of snow. It is much cheaper too than a big one!

• Engine Power:

great product for light snow

from Glassboro, NJ

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

I bought this because of a fantastic price I got and have not been sorry. This works great on light snow and not heavy snow. I have tried both and really did not expect it to work on the heavy stuff. It is very convenient and is very easy to store. It kind of reminds me a little of the electric snow shovels. If there is heavy snow you can do it in layers. This also is best used where the snow you want to shovel is close to your house and outlets. If you need to shovel long long driveways this is not the snow blower for you. But as in my case if you a shoveling a little path to your car or street this is for you. The thing I like the best is that this is very compact and easy to store.

• Engine Power:

Toro Snow Blower gets the job done!

from Barrington, NJ

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

We are very happy with the Toro snow blower. It works very efficiently and effectively. My husband mostly uses it, but it really is so easy I feel confident that if he were not home for a snow storm I would be able to handle it quite readily and easily. It gets really close to the cement insuring all the snow is cleaned off the sidewalk or driveway. It is easy to manuever and turn and use in general. We did have to have it repaired early this winter but I think that is pretty typical with snow blowers. One other disadvantage is that is quite noisy so snow blowing in the late evening and early morning are not really options! Overall I would recommend.

• Engine Power:

First winter on the east coast, this saved me

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

I started living on the east coast earlier last year and had no idea just how bad the snow was here. I got this snowblower knowing absolutely nothing about snowblowers in general, but this has worked wonderfully. It works quickly, relatively quietly (compared to other blowers), and is very easy to use. I have not had any sort of issue with it after many repeated uses and always powers up quickly without any kind of issue.

Great! I had never used one before since I had never even been in the snow before, but from day one this has served me amazingly well and I'm very glad I chose this model. Maybe there are better ones since I dont know much about them, but for the price and ease of use Im very happy with what I bought.

Makes Winter Easier!

from Denver, CO

Comments about Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower:

With living in Colorado we tend to get a decent amount of snow each Winter. Sometimes even into Spring. After years of having to shovel a lot of snow and being too sore to want to do anything the next day (haha), my husband and I decided to get an electric snow blower after our neighbor had let us borrow his to try out. We ended up loving how fast and easy it made things. We decided to get the same model he had, the Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower 38381. I would have given this review an even 5 stars but one thing we wish was a little better would be that this product would work more efficiently on already heavy snow. It works best with a mild dusting to a couple inches but still works alright on more than that too, just takes a little more time. Some of the things we love about this snow blower is that it's quiet (which helps early in the morning or late at night when we can usually get around to using it), it's easy to maintain, easy to store, light weight, plus it moves fairly easy in the snow. Some of the downfalls are the price, it's a little expensive if you ask me.. but I'd say worth if it you'll be using it quite often like we do. Also, having to drag the cord around can be a little annoying, but it's something I'd rather put up with than being too sore to move the next day after shoveling a big area. Works best on FLAT surfaces so any hill-ish kind of areas are a little awkward. Other than those few things we really are happy about our investment. =)

Works great, would be even better if it worked through thicker snow easier.

easy to use!

Low maintenance!

Maneuvers fairly easy, mainly over flat surfaces.

works great and quiet!