Other Toothpastes:

Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste

Pros

Cons

yummm///tom's

We are a pretty good family as far as recycling, using as little gas as possible and keeping chemical cleaners out of the house...this year I am trying to replace personal hygeine and other items to keep chemicals out of our body and out of our water supply.  Enter Tom's of Maine...when the toothpaste came to my drug store like all other 'greener ' items it was a bit more expensive, but as I run out...another sale or coupon seems to come out just in time to make the price a bit more user friendly.  I have not been to the dentist since I began using the Tom's toothpaste, but my mouth feels fresh and clean after each brush.  Hopefully the company does what they say and make a geener product, but I think they are doing a good job flavor wise with this product...the paste has a fresh. realistic minty taste without the...odd aftertaste a non-gel toothpaste can leave.  It is not gritty nor does it stain...the tube is some form of metal I think though our recycling won;t take it.  The tube seemd to be a bit smaller than your regular tube, but not any smaller than any other "premium" toothpaste.  I say go for it!!

'TOM's makes up to 70,000 tubes of natural toothpaste a day!

I remember when *Trader Joe's* began carrying **Tom's of Maine Toothpaste**.  It seemed something like a counter-cultural event.  After all, **Tom** and his wife began stirring  products up in their home kitchen in Maine...

Now, since 2006, **Colgate-Palmolive** owns most of **Tom's**, following through with the real **Tom's* ***natural ingredients but providing so many products and variations on products that it dizzies the mind.

Obviously I chose improperly when I, of the sensitive mouth, chose the six-ounce tube of **Tom's Natural Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste** in **Spearmint** flavor.

I admire the ethic that **Tom's** still represents -- no saccharin; arificial sweeteners, preservatives, colors or flavors or animal ingredients (*or* animal testing).  But this particularly flavor and formula can burn the dickens out of someone with canker sores, mouth abrasions from braces or dentures, *or* someone, like me, with contact allergies to strong substances such as the piercing **Spearment** that flavors this particular **Tom's** variety.

I didn't stop to count the number of toothpaste varieties offered by **Tom's of Maine**, but they are numerous and, probably, most accessible on internet sites.  I now know that there's a dry mouth version and several "sensitive" varieties of **Tom's.**  *Swanson Vitamins *has good prices and shows a fair number of flavors and formulas.

I may try **Tom's of Maine** again, but a more easily-purchased gentle toothpaste will come first.  For now, I continue using *Biotene.*   [www.viewpoints.com/Biotene-Dry-Mouth-Toothpaste-review-83d35][1]

# # # # #

Check *www.tomsofmaine.com* for a brief but interesting tour of **Tom's** factory -- still in Kennebunk, Maine where the real **Tom** began his business.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Biotene-Dry-Mouth-Toothpaste-review-83d35

Earth friendly, but not breath friendly.

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

I really wanted to like this product, but it just didn't work for me. I loved the idea of an all natural product that is earth friendly and kind to the environment, but it has to do what it is supposed to do also.

I just didn't feel fresh or clean after using this product and the taste was terrible.

It felt pasty and gritty in my mouth and almost seemed to make my toothbrush less effective somehow, like it was blocking the scrubbing action of the bristles. I found my teeth felt cleaner when I brushed with water alone.

My family felt the same way about this tooth paste and though we are very environmentally conscious and very thrifty, we opted to toss the nearly full container of this tooth paste rather than continue using it.

I'm all for using all natural products, because I believe it is important for health and for the health of the planet, so I was very disappointed by the results that i got from this product.

Best toothpaste!

from Saint Peter, MN

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

I have very sensitive skin, including my lips and face. This is the only toothpaste that does not make my skin break out in a rash. It also leaves my mouth feeling clean, it tastes great and the price is very comparable to other toothpastes on the store shelves.

I seriously love Toms natural spearment toothpaste

from Selma, AL

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

Toms natural spearment tooth paste is the best. I love it all the way around. It has a great flavor, its refreshing, it works, and it is natural. Every morning and night I actually look forward and crave brushing my teeth because I know how good it will feel during and after. I had to buy another brand this time and I cannot wait to get another tube of Toms I am missing it so bad. I wish more stores carried this brand. It lasts longer than others as well b/c a little goes a long way.

Tom's of Main Spearmint toothpaste is the best!

from Henrico, VA

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

This is by far my favorite toothpaste. The ingredients are all natural and the after taste doesn't take like fake flavor of other toothpastes. It also whitened my teeth without and harsh ingredients. I also like how there is no artificial color added, because why would you need food coloring in something that's meant to brush your teeth? My mouth felt very clean after brushing and stayed fresh for much longer then other major toothpastes.

New but not not modern.

from Mcdonough, GA

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

I have been a advocate for not using any products that test on animals for years now. When Burts Bees came out I started using them and never stopped. When Tom's of Maine came out I naturally tried them becuase they offer the same qualities as Burt's Bee's. First time I used it (peppermint) there was little to no taste of the peppermint in my mouth. Yes, it was there but very dull. Another thing I want to point out about the Tom's toothpaste is that by the time the paste tube started getting low I tried to push it to the top. I tried to roll it to the top. I even emailed the company that the packaging was terrible. I told them I cannot get it out of that thick what seems to be metal or something. They personally sent me a plastic roller. You know, the thing you put on the bottom of the tube and roll it up and it is supposed push the toothpasted to the top. I put it at the bottom and rolled it. It just rolled it up loosley and did not push the tooth paste out at all. Well, you can't blame me, I tried.

Decent toothpaste, Don't care for the flavor.

from Toms River, NJ

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

If you are looking for long lasting fresh breath, I personally do not think Toms of Maine is the right product for you. Although this product has the positive factors of being all natural, I have to question how powerful it really is.

I did not feel like the "lathered" as much as other toothpastes do, and it felt rather pasty inside my mouth. The flavor was "off", and my children would not use it. It was minty, but didn't have any zest to it. It certainly did not fight bad breath or leave my mouth feeling refreshed long after using it.

On the positive side, it is as natural as it claims to be which has made health benefits in and of itself. I sometimes question putting something that is not natural on something as important as my teeth and inside my mouth, which is why despite my arguments against this product, I'd suggest trying it.

toms of maine natural tasting

from Hightstown, NJ

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

I use this everyday. Well i have for many yrs gagged from using tooth paste and i still brushed my teeth with a name brand tooth paste for yrs. I then got a sample of toms of maine and it was the first time i didnt gag from tooth paste. The taste is a little more chalky but the spearmint is very minty and natural tasting not chemicals. Great product keeps my teeth and mouth fresh.

Pleasant surprise

from Hartford, WI

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

I try to be "green" and have been working on becoming better. I recycle and reuse things as much as I can. However, I never really thought about being "green" when it came to hygiene. I always bought whatever was on sale. I actually got this as a free sample. I really enjoyed it and it was a pleasant surprise. The texture was totally different than any other toothpast i've tried. I really liked the flavor too. Some "minty" toothpastes are just too much to handle. Kind of like mouthwash. But this had just enough and it left my mouth feeling really clean. Even after eating or drinking something it still felt pretty clean. I really was not sure what to expect. Right now I have gone back to my "other" toothpaste just because it is in the house and I am not just going to throw it away. I do know that I will be purchasing this after that tube is gone. It is more pricey but I'm sure if I keep a look out I can find some good deals.

So natural, so good!

from Arlington, VA

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

I love Tom's of Maine products!  This toothpaste makes my teeth feel so clean, and my breath so fresh! According to their website, the toothpaste contains xylitol which helps to prevent and reduce plaque, zinc citrate to control tartar, and silica for whitening.  It's wonderful that all these ingredients are as natural as toothpaste makers can make it natural.  Often times, artificial ingredients can be bad for your teeth, corroding your enamel and causing damage to your gums.  I love that there is no animal testing and no animal ingredients.  And did you know that all of Tom's of Maine employees are strongly encouraged to use 5% of their paid work time to volunteer in the community.  With a great philosophy instilled in their employees, I am confident that this company is heading in the right direction and making sure to make the best natural products for consumers.  I think you should at least try this toothpaste and you'll probably come back to buy it again.

Tom's toothpaste not for me

from Palm Bay, FL

Comments about Tom's of Maine Natural Anticavity Fluoride Spearmint Toothpaste:

After learning all that I have through completing dental assisting school, I wanted to try all natural products and decided to start with this. I will say that after 24 years of using regular tooth paste, it felt really weird using Tom's products. I did not like that the toothpaste did not foam, the texture was really thin and the flavor had a "hint" of mint. I respect the all natural ingredients and will recommend it those those that are taking the all natural route but it just wasn't the product for me. I have also tried different products from Tom's and it always seems to come back down to the same faults (No foaming and lack of scent). This product has the American Dental Association seal of approval so I'm confident that it works but I personally could not get used to these simple things. I recommended this product to my brother and he also did not like the fact that it did not foam and had the same complaints that I had.