Other GPS Devices:

TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator

Pros

Cons

Guides You Everywhere

I have a bad habit of getting lost everywhere, so this GPS device is my savior in my car. I love that it is portable and easy to connect so that I can easily move it back and forth between vehicles as well as it always gives clear directions to get me to where I am supposed to be. It is easy to setup and saves you from looking at a map during your driving. It has a screen that is easy to follow so you won't make any wrong turns.

Processing Speed
I like that it is fast when computing the route and has a large database to find your exact place you are supposed to be. It is a little slow with satellites sometimes when starting up, but works great to get accurate turn by turn directions.

Map Quality & Accuracy
I love how easy this device is to use, and just by inputing an address it will get you to where you are supposed to be. I like that it gives clear directions and you can follow on the map where you are supposed to go. The map is easy to read and very accurate.

I like that this device is portable and very easy to connect. You are able to save some of your favorite destinations and it is easy to input your data to your destination. It is easy to setup for your preferences and the voice navigation speaks clearly to guide you to your place.

The Tomtom is okay

We got the TomTom GPS after Thanksgiving during all those sales. We mainly got it because we wanted another GPS for another car. We already own a Garmin which is pretty good already. We used the TomTom once to go into the city and it failed to get us to our destination. Luckily, we had an idea of where the destination place was so we kind of just drove there ourselves! I am not sure how accurate this GPS is. It should be up to date with the roads since we just got it. We also got the lifetime maps downloads which is nice since roads get changed all the time. I liked how the screen was bigger on this GPS. I also really liked some of the features. For example, when you are driving, it tells you the speed limit on the current road. Sometimes it is hard to spot what speed limit the road is so this is nice to have to tell you. One of the things that I did not like about this GPS vs the Garmin that I have is that it doesn't say the road name during navigation. This is pretty decent if you can get it way cheaper than retail price.

Tom Tom XXL-540TM GPS

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

Received for Christmas last year and I absolutely love this unit

Processing Speed
Being that I live in a very rural area I sometimes have to wait a short reasonable amount of time before it picks up the signal but I wouldn't trade this device for any other.

Map Quality & Accuracy
I have yet to receive bad info from this GPS

I have tried others like Garmin in the past. As a matter of fact I won a Garmin from my local radio station and ended up giving it away and switching back to Tom Tom because the Garmin was that bad. I love my XXL540TM

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Lifetime maps, durable, well worth it.

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

We weren't originally going to buy the TomTom, but when we saw the lifetime maps, we couldn't pass it up. Along with the price! The GPS itself is pretty durable, it has fallen a few times & still works perfectly. Its very easy to use once you get yourself adjusted to how to work it.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

This GPS is better than the one built into my car!

from Cherry Hill, NJ

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

I love that the maps get free updates for life. My car has a disc that costs 500 to update. I really like the accuracy too, it seems like the Tom Tom staff know the area and do not route me to using the Turnpikes. I have been able to get to my destination much faster and now I do not even use the manufacturer installed GPS

Easy To Use But Not Entirely Intuitive

from Torrington, CT

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

This unit does what one would expect, getting you from point A to point B with some manner of efficiency. I haven't found it to be terrible inaccurate but haven't used it much as much as previous units, given Google maps on smartphones.

Processing Speed
Very annoying around tall buildings and bridges but that's very typical.

Map Quality & Accuracy
Although not heavily used we haven't found it to take us off into a lake or turning left into a one way street.

Average ease of use and hoping TomTom will keep the stand alone GPS innovating so that they are still something I want that stands out from smartphone.

Guides You Everywhere

from Las Vegas, NV

Good overall, some flaws

from Parish, NY

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

This is a decent GPS for the price. In general it gets me where I'm going and is a great tool.

Processing Speed
It takes a long time to find a GPS signal most of the time when I start it up and the touch screen is very slow to react.

Map Quality & Accuracy
Accuracy is good overall but it could be better when approaching turns, etc. It seems off on the distances and causes me to go by things or think they are coming up too early. I also don't like that it doesn't tell you if the destination is left or right.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Bivalve, MD

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

the tomtom gps is a good navigation system it speaks the turn by turn directions.

Processing Speed
the product is one of the best on the market it has everything needed download.

It has maps of the US Canada and Mexico

Using the tomtom is very easy just follow the tutorial or askl for spoken instructions

Tom Tom 540 M is pretty easy to use

from Medford, WI

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

I bought this Tom Tom last year to help navigate the streets of St. Paul/Minneapolis as I find myself traveling there more than I would like. I am not very techy and it wasn't the easiest GPS to learn how to use. It is my first GPS though. While I am able to get it to get me from point A to Point B, I do not have all the bells and whistles down. It does have a nice sized screen and the voice navigator is easy to hear and understand. I do think that it has many more features than I need and I wish that I would have bought a very bare bones GPS navigation system. I do not have any legitimate complaints about this product. It is very durable. It has tolerated some less than gently, though not abusive handling. The screen has a protective surface and it does not scratch or smudge and if it does it is very easy to clean. I like the black case and again, the size of the screen is adequate. I cannot say that I would recommend this GPS to anyone as I do not know much about GPS units. I do like it for my own use. It does the job I need it to do.

Processing Speed
I do not have any comparison here, but I do not have complaints

Map Quality & Accuracy
It always gets me where I want to go

If I can get it to work, any one can

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Tom Tom XXL GPS "Don't Leave Home Without It"

from New Jersey

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

I have to first start out by saying this is not the first GPS system I purchased but the better of the 2 I have. I really like it alot as first it has a much larger and clearer screen and so much easier to read. It actually makes driving to somewhere you have never been before a much more comfortable ride. A very easy screen to use as well as I love the way it communicates to you when you have made a wrong turn as I did try this just to see how the GPS system would react and it did pass with flying colors. The manufacturer was extremely helpful when I phoned them as I had misplaced the paperwork at first and then found it. A definite good buy for the money. This unit in my opinion is great especially to give as a gift.

Get's you where you are going

from Triadelphia, WV

Comments about TomTom XXL 540S 540T 540M 540TM Portable GPS Navigator:

After using the GPS unit that was factory installed in our car, we had to get one for my husband's truck. It is wonderful. Screen is large enough to see while driving. Everything included that you will need. Easy to understand directions and a great price for this unit. It will be a welcome addition to the family. Love that the traffic and map updates are included for life.