3.6
1EG0.017.05
TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator

TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator

3.6

It gets you where you need to go....sometimes

from Montgomery Village, MD

Comments about TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator:

I'm not convinced there's a "good" GPS on the market, but this one is as functional as any. It gets me to my destinations, but not always with the fastest or most direct route. It can't take into account the speed traffic is moving at, so the arrival time is often misleading (especially here in Washington DC). The mounting system for the GPS is weak, and if you don't have a perfectly flat surface, it will fall off. Basically, the only place you can stick it is on the windshield, which isn't a great option for everyone. My biggest complaint is definitely the route planning. We tested it side by side with my fiance's Garmin, and almost every time the Garmin picked a more direct or faster route. The Tomtom seems entranced with highways; even if taking backroads is faster, the Tomtom will direct you to the nearest interstate. On the plus side, it's not an expensive model, and if someone steals it out of my car I won't be out much money (nor will I be terribly upset).

Tends to Miss the Mark

from Mount Pleasant, MI

Comments about TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator:

I received this as a gift last year. It is the first GPS unit I've ever owned.

I wish the unit came with free lifetime updates. I can see that will be problematic in the future and I am not willing to pay for updates as they are too costly - would be better to simply buy a new unit. I've noticed that the directions are not always acurate. Sometimes they are spot on. Other times they will get me close, but not to the exact address. This is a problem because I'm generally using this unit when I am in unfamiliar places so even though I am close it is still a pain to figure out how to get from where the GPS sent me to where I really want to be. Ocassionally it has told me to turn the opposite direction so pay attention to how close you are estimated to be from your final destination. If you are driving and don't seem to arrive, don't wait too long to turn around and/or call someone for directions.

The suction cup mount is worthless so you'll probably want to buy a a weighted dash mount.

It's okay for what it is, but next time I'll know better what key features to look for before I buy a new unit.

I would suggest that if you are looking to buy a GPS that you look at other models that offer free lifetime map updates.

TomTom XL GPS

from Sugar Grove, IL

Pros

Cons

Comments about TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator:

The TomTom XL was my first GPS device, and although it for the most part gets me where I need to go, it is not entirely reliable.  I'm not sure if I ended up with a bad unit, but it takes forever for it to locate a signal.  I often have to reboot it since it tends to freeze up, and on many occasions has locked me out of the controls so I cannot even add an address.  When traveling on tollways, it gives driection to exit and then re-enter causing to have to pay an extra toll.  We just got used to knowing to ignore those commands.  All-in-all, a decent device if you can put up with the hiccups.

You're at your DESTINATION, TomTom

from Honolulu, HI

Comments about TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator:

I cannot do without my TomTom when I am on holiday in strange places or driving somewhere new on my island because, believe, it is easier to just listen to TomTom then having to pull over every few minutes to check where I am on my road map.

Now, the key lies in listening and TRUSTING TomTom. Early on when I first used TomTom, I found it very hard to trust what the voice is telling me because I could not see or gauge how far ahead is "a quarter mile, turn right". The other minor complaint is that TomTom does not pronoun local names correctly, and that sometimes throws me off. The third complaint is that the sticky pad does not stay sticky for long. I am not sure if it is the humid in the air, the heat or the simple fact that it might have picked up some grease from my hand lotion - I have had TomTom fall off the windscreen at the most crucial time!

It works all over on the Mainland and Canada but I am not sure if it would work overseas.

Traveling must

from Manhattan, KS

Comments about TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator:

In all honesty I don't use this too much because quite frankly I don't like driving.  But my husband being the techy - geek that he is.  HAS to have this whenever he is on the road.  We've never had issues with mis-directions, and aboslutely LOVE the real time traffic updates.  My only annoyance is the fact my husband will not travel anywhere (other than work) without it, and sometimes I just want to get on the road and go!..

LOVE MY Tomtom shes my BFF!!!

from Manhattan, KS

Comments about TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator:

I love my TomTom XL 325.  I have not gotten lost yet since I got it.  The first time I used It I caught myself talking back to her and saying how she is my new BFF and that she rocks.    It has a fold and go EasyPort mount.  I love that!  It also speaks street names.  I am so glad I got this GPS, Im not afraid to go places anymore!!

The TomTom GPS is very reliable.

from Grove City, OH

Comments about TomTom XL 325 Portable GPS Navigator:

This is the first GPS device I've ever owned. I'm glad I have it. It's very reasuring to know I'll never get lost again. If you do alot of driving I'd say GET ONE! Or if you have kids GET ONE! We all know becoming a parent also means you become a taxi driver. It makes driving much safer. When you become a parent in this day and age you can never be too safe where your child/children are concerned. It's also nice to have if your one of those people who have a lead foot. Too many speeding tickets? The answer to that is buying a TomTom. Whenever I go over the speed limit a siren sounds off. There are too many perks to list to why you should buy one.