Other GPS Devices:

TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator

Pros

Cons

Nice Entry Level GPS, but gets confused

Christmas of 2009, I got the gift of a GPS. Being one who gets lost quite often I was excited to open it up and try it out.

Read complete review

Out of the box it was very simple to set up, and came with a free map update that I immediately downloaded and installed on the GPS. The map was a little hard to find on the site at first, but was easy to download.

The Text to speech feature is nice as it alerts you when the turn is coming and what street to turn on. Unit also alert you to crosswalks, schoolzones, speed limits, etc if you choose.

I tried to use this unit first to travel to destinations that I knew how to get to, just to see how TomTom thinks the best way is. Usually it gets me there, but I don't always believe it chooses the fastest route. There has also been two times where it has drawn a very strange route that makes absolutely no sense, good thing I knew where I was going. Another time it led me to a dead end thinking that I could turn, However the street i was supposed to turn on was an overpass that was above me.

All in all this unit is a decent unit that should get you where you need to go. However just be smart and dont let it lead you to the middle of the ocean, it is a machine of course, its not perfect.

GPS device that doesn't really deliver

I decided to get a GPS because I was tired of having to ask for direction, so I purchase the TomTom 125 GPS.  It is a rather simple device where you just enter in your destination and it does the rest.

I was dissapointed in the product, since it seemed over simplied.  For one thing the voice directions are not helpful at all.  All the say is left or right or straight, which is fine on a street.  However, when driving on a freeway it doesn't tell you which exit you need to get off of or even which freeway to take.  All it says is things like "go left".

Therefore, you need to constantly look at the screen to get an idea of where you are.  However, even that isn't much helpful, since there is just images of the road and not really any text showing clearly which street you are on and what you will have to take.

Yet, I was still able to find places where I had to go, but I would have much preferred to get a device that is a lot more concise and detailed as opposed to being really vague.  There also isn't a SD card slot.

If you are looking for a GPS its better to spend a little more than get this GPS which gives directions, but doesn't really tell you much.  After trying out my friends Garmin I don't think I will go back to the TomTom, since the Garmin was much more helpful.

Tom Tom is amazing!

from Schenectady, NY

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

My husband and I bought the Tom Tom as a Christmas gift for my parents. It was the best gift we have ever gave anyone. Ever! My parents use it all the time for everything. They use it to find gas stations, library's, restaurants. And that is without using an address! My mom is some what technologically disabled and she can use it with ease.

handy and accurate

from Brookfield, IL

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

I like the tom tom one 125 for the most part. It is very easy to switch it from one car to the other the map guide is generally accurate. The voice choice leave alittle to be desired. The worst part about it is the windshield mount> On cold frosty nights its hard to get it fixed on the windshild correctly Also wish stand allowed for more tilting angles. Keep maps updated and youll like this alot

Processing Speed
fixes your route quickly if you make a wrong turn

If you keep it updated

Love my little Tom Tom

from Harrisburg, MO

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

I received my little Tom Tom as a gift and I am perfectly happy with it. I know people always talk about Garmins, but my TomTom has served me well in all my travels. It is accurate if you keep it updated. I have even used the on foot feature when in large cities and have been able to walk directly to a restaurant or other landmark without a problem. I think it is a great deal for the money.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Pretty good but made some mistakes

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

I thought it said "turn ____" a bit too late and I would end up quickly trying to swerve. The maps are accurate and I like how it says how many miles I have left to go before making turns. I wish the graphics were easier to see. Sometimes, it's hard to look back at the GPS when looking at the road.

lead me

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

This gps system wil give you turn by turn directions. Give you route to route. It will give you alternatives location to take such as local street, tolls , or highway. It mounts easily to windshield or dashboard. Has a voice. I never leave home without it.

Good GPS for travel everywhere

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

We've traveled with this model GPS on many, many trips and it has served us well. It does not automatically update maps, so we do this about once a year, but it could be done less. A phone GPS is better if you frequently travel through construction areas, but the Tom Tom is great for most trips. In addition, it suggests nearby restaurants and gas stations, which is handy.

Processing Speed
As long as it isn't cloudy, it processes a trip just fine.

Map Quality & Accuracy
When the maps are updated once per year, we have no problems.

This model is user friendly and is easy to navigate.

a must have!

from Portland, OR

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

My husband I got a Tom Tom after we had a trip to an island community and we got lost with our travel trailer. The argument that ensued was not what of my prize winning moments. The issue at hand, he did not print the directions. He printed a vague map of the area. Of which did not show all the streets. Needless to say a Tom Tom is responsible for saving my 16 years of marriage!

Processing Speed
It is quick and in real time. had no issues with delays.

Map Quality & Accuracy
It showed us exactly where we were and the had plenty of notice of any upcoming turns.

SO easy out children tried their hand at navigating. Made it a family affair.

Love it

from Ambler, PA

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

I would be lost without this gps. I like this one much better than the Magellian I have. It seems to be more user freindly. If a road is blocked, it is easy on this gps to find your way around the blockage. It is also quick catching up if you made a wrong turn somewhere along your travel.

Nice Entry Level GPS, but gets confused

from Bloomington, IL

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

Mostly good for long ranges

from Pacifica, CA

Comments about TomTom ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigator:

The device works fine in route planning, but it gets a little hinkey when starting/ending trips.

It has tried to direct me out of parking lots where there is no exit or to make a left turn out of the lot through a median barrier. At the end of trips, it has put me on the back side of a listed destination with chain link barriers between me and the end point or even stopped me on a freeway where the destination was just outside the right of way, but no exit for a couple of miles.