1.8

1.8

Pros

Cons

• Calling Features:

Time Warner Cable got my phone service business.

You know the deal. You can bundle at Time Warner, and they will give you TV, internet and phone. Well, they do not GIVE it to you - you do pay. I wish they would throw in a house cleaner, but oh well. There's only so much much you can bundle.

I wanted RoadRunner high speed for internet, so I went ahead and just went for the whole deal when I signed up. I already had Time Warner for cable TV - not like there were any other choices. Bell South (now bought out by AT&T I think) spelled my name wrong on my email and could not manage to correct it with four calls. How credible do I look when I can't spell my name (when I can - but Bell South can't)? If Time Warner was going to do my TV and net, then I figured they might as well do my phone too.

The Time Warner guy who was not really a Time Warner guy (they farm that out) came to my house. He was a right fine guy. He hooked me up and also fixed the cable that a relative had cut to try to move the head to another room. This broke the cable (so to speak). He put on a new head piece and no issue. That got the third TV working again.

There's this black box at my computer that apparently is the guts of my system. It has blinkie green lights. It mostly works. When it does not, I can jam a knife in a hole in the back to reset. This I learned from tech support. This seems to only be the internet deal. I've had to talk to them a few times like when I got a new computer with Vista which does not like Time Warner. Again, they got me going. The tech support must be in the United States. Other than a guy from up north who spoke way too fast, it's been easy to get help.

Now as to the phone, the only issue with Time Warner is that if the power goes out, then there goes the phone. This happened, of course, the second day after I switched. I had second thoughts then. But, it's been a year now, and I've only had that come up two times total. The boys' dad lives next door with Bell South, so I can go over there if need be.

When I read all the Time Warner info to start with, there was all this info about the message system. They totally DID NOT say it was an extra charge. I spent two hours trying to get that to work before calling. The guy told me it was another $4.95 I think. And, the phone message machine did not work with this. OK. So, I got that. I told them what I thought of it and said they really ought to put that in the booklet. It does not say, at all, that you pay for message service.

The message service part is reliable, but it's a pain. You have to dial your number and then star 5. Then you have to hit the pound key. Then you put in your code. This is all from your very own phone. A Time Warner lady tells you (automated) to do all this every single time like you might perhaps have forgot. I much prefer to walk in, look at phone, see light, push button.

When you first sign up, you get this special deal. Then, you do not get the deal. I don't know how it all breaks down, but I pay about $180 a month for cable TV (with upgrades), phone, and internet. The phone part is unlimited long distance, so that's good (if I'd call more - wanta talk from somewhere way off?).

All in all, I do like Time Warner phone service. I can call anyone at any time from home. There are no "minutes" to count like the cell phone I had. That reduces my stress quite a lot. I quit doing the cell phone after a $50 call outside the minute thing. Boo hiss. Don't game me like that. I never have to worry with Time Warner phone. I can pick it up and call - period.

I think my initial phone bill was $39 something per month. Don't know what it is now. I don't like that so much. I suppose I could sit down and figure it. But I think that cable TV, high speed internet and phone and all for around $180 is decent. No surprises at least. One bill. Steady service (other than two short times in a year). Great service. Even the guy who spoke heavy northern seemed nice - even if I couldn't understand much of what he said.

I do and have switched all my various services and several times. I'm satisfied now, so that's saying a lot. I like the cable (though wish they had some competition on the price), love the high speed net, and the phone is very good. Since the price is the same every month (with no surprise charges) and I can call when I like, where I like and talk for as long as I like, I like it.

abandon hope all ye who enter here

...Read complete review

Here is the story of how not to run a business.  Our saga started when we saw the ads for Time-Warner digital phone service on television.  We have five children and two phone lines and the tv offer seemed like a good deal, we could get call waiting, caller ID, three-way calling and digital phone service for less than what we were currently paying at Centurytel. We called your representative and were assured that we could keep our old phone numbers, which we had had for years, and in a few short minutes a technician would have us hooked up with digital phone service.  It all sounded good and we made an appointment.  A few days before our scheduled appointment we received a message on our voice mail that Centurytel had a block on our phone line and if it was not lifted our appointment would be cancelled.  We called TWC and asked about this block.  We were informed that this is standard, and once the block was lifted we would be "good to go".  We wondered why we were not told about the block when we made the appointment, but we made the necessary phone calls to Centurytel and back to TWC and kept our appointment.  We probably experienced our first twinge of uneasiness about this time.        The day of our appointment arrived.  The four hour window we were given came and went.  We called TWC and were assured that a technician would be there soon.  Approximately two hours after our window had closed the technician did indeed arrive.  He was slightly confused about which jacks were connected to each of our two lines, so we explained in depth how each was set up.  It was all for naught, however, because the technician informed us that he was unable to port the lines over because he still showed  Centurytel "owned the lines".  He contacted the phone department at TWC who told him that the proper paperwork was not submitted to Centurytel and nothing could be done at that point.  He apologized and explained that this "happened all the time" and he left us with the number of customer service and assured us that the kind folks there would take care of everything.   If he laughed all the way to his truck we did not hear him.  He did manage to change our fax line over to the main phone line bafore he left, however, so we had ample opportunity to reflect on his visit every time our phone screeched in the coming days.       We called the friendly folks at customer service and were connected with Malika.  We attempted to explain to Malika what had transpired between TWC and ourselves but Malika told us that first she needed a "pin number".  A pin number?  We told Malika that we had had many occasions to talk to the TWC company and at no time had we been issued or asked for a pin number.  All of our previous communications had always involved the use of the last four digits of a social security number.  Malika was adamant that she needed a pin number.  She told us that we could drive to the TWC office in Elyria (about 30 minutes away) and get a pin number there, until then she could not answer any questions.  At this point it became apparent that speaking to a supervisor would be prudent.  Numerous times I asked Malika to speak to her supervisor and after several lengthy holds I was told that "Miss Nekia" would not speak to me. My frustration and disappointment at the treatment we received from "customer service" cannot adequately be expressed in this letter.  We probably should have given up at this point, but we had already invested so much time in this endeavor that we decided to soldier on.      The next day I called TWC and (yet again) explained my predicament.  This representative said that she showed no record of a pin number being issued to our account.  She also said that one office hadn't let the other office know that the block had been lifted, or some such, but everything was straightened out now and she made us a new appointment for two weeks hence.  A couple of days before the alleged appointment was to arrive we received a letter in the mail from TWC that told us that our two phone numbers were non-working lines and that our appointment had been cancelled.  Actually this was a case of foreshadowing because at that time our two lines were were working great.  In fact TWC had left a message on our answering machine telling us that the lines was non-working.  In fact I used the call back option to speak to the rep and discussed the "non-working line problem" on the other "non-working" line he called me back on.  In fact all evidence pointed to the fact that our two lines were working and after proving this to the rep, yes, we made another appointment for two weeks in the future.  Surely everything that could go wrong had already happened, we assured ourselves.      Four days before our scheduled appointment our phones went dead.  By now the scales had fallen from our eyes and we had a pretty good idea who was behind this latest debacle.  We called TWC and told them that we had two dead phone lines and five kids at home, a completely unacceptable situation should an emergency or other situation arise.  The rep assured us that someone would be out that night to fix our phones, or at the very least call us back and set something up. Well our cell phone never rang that night, at least not with a call from TWC.  We called Ceturytel the next day to see if they could shed any light on our dead phones and were told that they had been sent a letter telling them that on that day, April 21, they were to port the lines over to TWC and Centurytel had complied.  Where our numbers were was now the latest mystery.  Somehow our numbers had ended up in limbo, TWC was now telling us.  This is after I called TWC not once, but twice and explained the whole sordid situation to the TWC rep.  After my first explanation I had been placed on hold, cut off, and sent back to the main menu.  When I finally reached a human being again, I had to explain the enitre month's fiasco yet again.  I was promised that a supervisor (Mike) would be taking over my "case".  Mike never called back nor did anyone else from TWC.  What a surprise.      After finally losing patience with having no phone lines and no callback from TWC, I called yet again and explained what was going on.  After an hour on the phone, giving explantions and being put on hold, the rep told me my only choice was to reactivate my service with Centurytel and start the entire process with TWC again.  I indeed took her advice and started my service again with Centurytel.  It took them less than 24 hours to restore my phone numbers and service to our former specifications.  They did this with one phone call. On a bright note, I had a delightful story to tell everyone who wanted to know why my phone was disconnected for three days.      The day after my phone service was restored by Centurytel, I received a letter from TWC.  It states that TWC tried to reach me at home, but was unable to contact me.  That TWC was unable to complete installation on the "originally" scheduled date because the phone number was not in service.  I was asked to contact the "customer care" department to determine the best course of action.  This is all pretty hysterical in and of itself, but the best part was truly the end.  It reads "The cornerstone of our philosophy has always been to provide "excellence in customer service" and we will continue to provide the high quality of service you expect and deserve from Time Warner Cable."   Are you kidding me with is?  Did "Miss Nekia" write this letter?  No, TWC you will not be darkening my door again (assuming you'd show up).  We are done with TWC, Mike the supervisor, Customer Care, "Miss Nekia", and the entire phone division.  We have seriously considered switching to DishNetwork, Cinemax, and Newsweek.  There is a cancer in your corporation, Time Warner.  The cancer is in your cable and phone division.  You need to treat this disease before it infects your entire company.

Miserable phone service

from Corning, NY

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

No problems dialing out, but many complaints from people trying to dial in from outside the area. They can not connect in. The following is a quote from an email from someone who can not complete a call to me, even though she did indeed have the correct number.

*************************************************

"Is this still the correct number? Got one recording saying couldn't be completed and the second dead air that then turned into a fast busy. Maybe they are working on the phones in your area?
"

Now I remember why I switched from TWC

from Columbus Ohio

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

I was considering dropping my phone service with WOW! for TWC because I could save roughly $15/month.
When I called customer service it sounded like 10 people in a closet! Thy advertised phone service fro $10/month. But that didn't include voicemail [add another $5]. Also the rep couldn't tell me all of the 13 features that came with the service. In addition to that the features were far inferior to my existing service [only 10 messages in history and then erased after 90 days].

Thanks but no thanks TWC!

Absolutely terrible phone service

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

Our businesses had switched over to a combined Time Warner internet cable and phone service and for the past couple of years the phone aspect in terms of reliability and service has been atrocious. We constantly get phone outages and for a service business that translates into lost business, not to mention the most important deficit, that we are medical office which means our clients may not be able to get hold of us in an emergency situation. The service outages may be from a few minutes to most of the day. When repairmen come out they always come up with some reason or another, but then the phones go out in short order. If you really have need of reliable phone service, Time Warner would be the last place I would try.

Call Quality
One of our businesses has a persistent short delay in the conversations which makes talking difficult.

Customer Service
They do respond with service people but have yet to solve the problems.

Calling Features
The phone system has a lot of features you can choose from, unfortunately, reliability is not one of them.

Easy to use

• Calling Features:

Great with promo price then pricey for inconsistent service

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

We have the triple play with internet, cable and home phone which we initially paid $99. However, after the promo period expired, the bill kept going up and up and up to a high of $210/month! Unfortunately, we are not able to get Dish or FIOS yet so are unable to switch to a cheaper carrier unless we buy some of the elements separately. We have had repeated outages and frequently inconsistent signal so that the internet or the television does not stay connected or has to keep looking for signals. Time Warner repeatedly has sent a signal to the box, to the modem, sent technicians, etc. They have lowered the monthly from time to time but it is still a frustrating experience dealing with Time Warner and we can't wait til FIOS comes in within the next year so we can switch!

I would not recommend Time Warner Phone Service

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

I can call out to people but people can't call into me and my doctor's nurse had to use her cell phone to get into my land line. I need a phone that is reliable and this one is not!

Call Quality
People can't call into me at all and that is a problem for me

Customer Service
Not good at all they are the rudest people on the planet if you can even get them on the phone! To be put on hold for over an hour an a half is inexcusable.

not so easy when people can't get a hold of you at all

Get Something Else

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

There is always something wrong with my phone and wifi service. First it was the fact that are mo-tums were old. Then it was that the wifi and telephone were using the same motum. then it was something else. The wifi is slow which doesn't make any sense what so ever. the phone connection is crap which doesnt make sense saying it is a land line. Try Vonage or something.

Call Quality
Not the best, but its not horrible either

Customer Service
Never truly answer your question they just try and get you to upgrade making you believe that by upgrading your problems will go away.

Appt schedulers: unreachable!

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

Our TW telephone goes out at least monthly. Most of the time, we can do the reboot (though it's time consuming). When we've needed repair, the people miss their appts, don't call, and their customer service people claim- every time- that they cannot speak directly to the people in their own company who dispatch the repair people. I need to fire them.

Call Quality
WHEN the phone works, it;s OK

Customer Service
Worst in the industry. Horrible!

Compatibility
Nothing is good when the service is so frequently not working

Calling Features
Againk when the phone works, it's OK

Usually it's not working, or only partially working

• Calling Features:

Don't pick Time Warner phone service unless you just have to

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

I have had this service for over a year and it is just not reliable. The quality is "OK", when it works. The biggest issue I have is calls dropping plus there are many time when in the middle of a conservation I can no longer hear people or they can no longer hear me. It is getting embarrassing. TWC has replaced by modem, the cables, etc but nothing seems to help. I even purchased a new phone, yet the same things keep happening.

Works great in my town!

from Amherst, MA

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

I am happy with my Time Warner Cable Digital Phone Service. When I moved to this city I had a choice of Verizon phone and internet or Time Warner Cable Digital Phone Service and internet bundled. Originally I went with Verizon because they were going to be cheaper but then after they signed me up and had mailed me the modem I couldn’t get the internet to work. The phone worked fine but the internet wouldn’t hook up. So finally after talking with several customer service reps it turned out that even though there is Verizon internet service in my area they couldn’t actually give it to my house because they were oversold! Fortuntely for me Time Warner Cable Digital Phone Service called me a few days later while I was still catching my breath in frustration and they offered me a great package for my phone and internet. I don’t use cable at all so they couldn’t sell me on that one. They installed it without a hitch and it has been working fine all this time. I have unlimited long distance which I use a lot and the sound quality is great.
Like I said, I am happy with my Time Warner Cable Digital Phone Service!

• Calling Features:

Undependable, no notice of system up grades which cause outages.

Comments about Time Warner Cable - Digital Phone Service:

I more than most understand to keep up with the Jones you have to upgrade. But good customer service starts with letting your customers know of such things. how good is your service if you can’t even reach 911 cause your provider decides to have a outage for four hours without letting you know after you pay $1500 a month for a service that they calm is the best out there... Business Class Services at this point in a joke. With all the technology you would think a heads up to a TWC customer so they can make other arrangements for their customers to contact them so they can pay that $1500 bill could be done. The answer I get when I call is “Well I'm sorry we didn’t know they were doing it until customers called in on a different provider said there service is out." "Well for a back up I would sign up with another service provider..." what do you mean sign up with two service providers to have two bills to do one thing wow! That is customer service. 40 min on hold to get that answer and I didn’t even change a word the man said to me that is he said. Can anyone tell me who I can talk to that can really do any good? I’m starting to think they don’t work at TWC...

shooty at most

Customer Service
cant be depended on. i canm count on one hand how many have helped in a timely manner with out puting me on hold to send me to someone who could help and i have had this service for over 1 and a half now