Other Detergents:
Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent

Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent

Pros

Cons

Great product to get clothes clean and avoid scents

I have used Tide Free pretty much my whole life. Tide recently replaced the regular "free" with this "free and gentle" and I have been just as pleased with the new version. I have tried some other laundry detergents from time to time and I am never as pleased as I am with Tide Free and Gentle. This is a great product if you want to avoid odors and dyes without sacrificing cleanliness. With a name like Tide, you know you will get something worth your money. And that is exactly how it is with Tide Free and Gentle. It may be a bit more expensive that some detergents, but it is worth your money. And it goes on sale a lot at many grocery and drug stores. I have become so accustomed to this detergent that I can tell when my clothes feel and smell different when they are washed in something else (bugs my allergies). With Tide, my clothes look and feel great and don't have odd scents to them. And many stains are gone the first time too. I wouldn't go with anything else.

Easy on skin, tough on fabric

I’ve used Dreft on my son’s laundry since he was born, but I continued to use Cheer for ours. I noticed that my son’s skin seemed to get irritated from just coming into contact with our clothes, so I felt like I needed to switch to something free from dyes and perfumes. Dreft is a little expensive to use on all of the laundry, so I wanted to find an alternative. I was standing in the detergent aisle when another woman with a young son picked up a box of Tide Free & Gentle, so I struck up a conversation and she said it worked great for her family. I was a little reluctant because my mother always told me that Tide faded clothes, but I decided to try it anyway. After washing our clothes in Tide Free & Gentle, we found that our son’s face didn’t seem to turn red just from him resting his head on our shoulders anymore. I even found that my skin seemed less sensitive and itchy. The thing I don’t like is that the Tide, though it does a great job of getting our clothes clean, does seem to be tougher on fabrics and colors. Our casual clothes, especially our shirts, just look more “worn” now. I use Woolite for our work clothes that we need to look good and last for a while. But since we’re planning on not buying too many new clothes for ourselves until our son gets a little older, Tide Free & Gentle will do for now, though I may begin washing all of our laundry in Dreft since it seems gentler on fabrics. If my son outgrows his skin sensitivities, I will likely switch to a different detergent. I would only recommend Tide Free & Gentle for those with skin sensitivities who need to avoid the fragrances and dyes, otherwise there are probably better, cheaper alternatives.

Gets clothes clean, but whites turn dingy and colors fade.

No scent that I can detect, which was the point of using this product.

My family's favorite detergent - great for sensitive skin

from Miami, Florida

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

I used to grab whatever Tide detergent on the shelf that was on sale and go along with it, until one day my dad had a bad reaction to one of the scents in the bottle, could have been the scent was too heavy for him and his sensitive allergies. Ever since I started buying him the Tide Free & Gentle Liquid detergent he has not had any side effects of using the product. He also does not like things that are heavily perfumed which ended up working out for him as this specific detergent is scent-free, yet still smells clean. As for the clothes when they are washed with this detergent, they come out fresh and clean - even delicates. My aunt also comes and does her laundry sometimes at my place and washes her baby's clothes here with this detergent because it is also gentle with baby clothes. You really can't go wrong with using this detergent -- it does the job! It's a versatile product that is good to have for any use.

Scent-free, which is what my dad prefers.

Perfect Product for those who have Allergies to dyes!

from Palm Springs, CA

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

I always have used Tide Detergent. Then I started having allergies to perfumes and dyes. I then switched to Tide Free and Gentle. I am so happy I did. No more itching, no more rashes. My sheets feel so comfortable to my sensitive skin. This is the best out there also for babies and young children's sensitive skin.

Tide cleans so well. My clothes come out so clean and fresh. No silly perfumes or dyes, that cause allergies to my skin. This is the best product on the market in my opinion for anyone that has allergies to dyes and perfumes. Cleans so well and great for anyone who has allergies. Great for babies and young children, very gentle on their soft delicate skin. Gentle, yet it cleans my clothes so well. Gets some of the toughest stains out. I noticed since using this product, my colors stay true, they don't fade out with a lot of washes. Even the brighter colors keep there color. All in all, I recommend this product to anyone who has small children or suffer from allergies.

This product doesn't have a scent, which is why I gave it a 10. Babies need products that are safe on their gentle skin. No perfumes and dyes that can cause allergens. Since I have been using this product the last year and half, I have had no problems with allergies.

Just Clean Laundry. Like It Should Be.

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

I've grown pretty fond of Tide detergent over the years. It's reliable. Every store carries it. There are always coupons to be found for it. It's always on sale. Most importantly though, it always works to get my laundry clean. Like every other variation of the name, Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent is no exception. Not only did it clean the horribly smelly and filthy clothes from my two little boys but it also managed to wash away several diaper blowout stains from my baby girl. I've never seen her little onesies look so good! What I was most impressed with though, is that Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent managed to clean so well and still be so gentle on my children. My kids have extremely sensitive skin and one of my boys is asthmatic. After washing all their laundry with Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent we had no more hives. No more rashes. No more scent-induced asthma attacks. Just clean clothes.

Best smelling

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

I love all Tide products, but I especially love this Free & Gentle kind! It has the best smelling formula out of all the hypoallergenic/natural detergents that I have used (which is quite a few). It does not smell purely like chemicals (which is alarming in other brands as they are supposedly natural and I cannot imagine that natural ingredients smell so horrible). It is still the same great quality that you expect from Tide in preserving the life of your clothes and still leaving them clean and stain free and also smelling good for an extended period of time. It is gentle on both the fabrics and your skin. It is amazing that even though regular Tide in gentle, they came out with another formula that is even more eco-friendly. I am in love with Tide and expect that anyone else who tries this formula will be too! It also comes in HE which is very important to pretty much anyone that has a washing machine that was made new within the last ten years.

A good detergent for sensitive skin

from New Johnsonville, TN

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

I tried Tide Free and Gentle after receiving it as a gift from my mother. She is a long time loyal Tide customer, and wanted me to try their Free and Gentle product. Due to my son's sensitive skin and allergy issues, we have to be very selective in the types of detergents we use. We typically use another brand of detergent that is not as much of an "elite" brand as Tide. I agreed to try the detergent and see if it was better than my usual detergent. I was not very surprised to see that it did not do anything different or better than my usual detergent. Our clothes were cleaned well and they came out soft, just like with our usual detergent. I do think Tide is a great product, and the Free and Gentle detergent was great for my son's skin. He had no issues after I used this detergent. I do feel, however, that there are other sensitive skin options available that are less expensive. If you are unsure about trying a different brand, then Tide works great and I would encourage anyone to try it. If you are comfortable with trying what may be perceived as a second-tier brand, then I would encourage you to shop around for a more affordable option. In my experience, they work just as well.

Tide is the best

from Edina, MN

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

If there is a good detergent line its Tide. The Tide Free and Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent is a fabulous detergent for all your delicates and baby clothes. It has the same performance of leaving clothes clean, fresh and scented, but in a soft presentation. It protects color and delicate materials that need a little bit of extra care. It comes in the same liquid form and with the top its easy to measure how much you need and make sure you do not waste. As always a little bit goes a long way so the bottle lasts you a good amount of time. I love the scent. It is fresh and soft and not overpowering. It leaves just the right amount of aroma on the clothing after they are dried. This is also a good option for people with delicate skin or sensitive noses to strong smells.

Great performance, as always. You really can't go wrong with Tide.

The scent is soft, sweet and just the right amount.

A nice change

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

My husband does not like his clothes to smell like laundry detergent, so I decided to try Tide Free & Gentle. He is happy that his clothes no longer smell, and I actually enjoy using it on my clothes. It's nice sometimes to just have a clean smell. I also appreciate that I can have the windows open while I'm drying clothes because no smell comes in. This detergent is a little higher priced than others, but there are usually coupons for Tide Free & Gentle in the newspaper insert. It also goes on sale at our local grocery store. I would highly recommend this detergent for anyone who is sensitive to scents.

This detergent is just as effective as regular Tide. It does a better than average job of getting stains out of clothes, even grass stains and blood stains. It claims to be gentle on clothes, and I don't have any experience with anything fading more than usual.

There isn't any! It does leave our clothes smelling fresh and clean, though.

Only the Price is Disappointing

from Fairfield, VA

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

Tide Free and Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent certainly does the job as possible, and is very good for anyone like me who is sensitive to dyes and perfumes and fabric softening chemicals. What puzzles me is why countless Americans are buying it daily, when other brands that cost much less, like All and Arm and Hammer, perform just as well. I only buy Tide when I have an enormous coupon for it, because I just cannot justify its price, when there are other cheaper brands that perform just as well.

Tide Free and Gentle is about as good as you can buy in a detergent for sensitive skin. I have had no negative issues with it whatsoever. It removes dirt very well, and most stains. Sometimes you still need stain removers, but that is to be expected with any laundry detergent. Unless I'm washing a really important garment I throw in all whites and colors together, and get away with that easily with this detergent.

If truly scent-free is what you desire, you will be very pleased with it.

Tide Free & Gentle is great for households with allergy sufferer

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

Tide it great. I have allergies, so I won't change from my Tide laundry detergent. The smallest amount of fragrance can make me miserable for weeks, Tide doesn't have a fragrance. My clothes smell and look their best when I wash them with Tide. Tide cleans well without leaving any unwanted fragrance. I have been using Tide Free & Gentle for years now, and have no intentions of using any other laundry detergent. I wash my clothes when I bring them home from the store so that all of the allergens are out of them. Then, I wash my clothing after each wearing to keep them fresh and allergen free. I love using Tide on my laundry and the detergent is a good price. I always have clean & fresh clothes, bath towels, dish towels, etc.

My clothes always come out of the laundry clean and fresh.

There is no scent. The detergent has no scent and my clothes come out of the laundry smelling fresh and clean.

Gentle on the Skin and Gets Clothes Clean

from Lake Villa, IL

Comments about Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent:

If you have sensitive skin and clothes that are extremely delicate than this a great laundry detergent for you. Although I am not crazy about the unscented scent (if that makes any sense), the detergent cleans very well and works great for whatever you are washing.

This laundry detergent does a great job getting things clean. It is gentle enough to use on very delicate clothes, but strong enough to get whatever you are washing clean. The clothes come out clean and smell like this unscented scent thing (as explained more in the scent section of my review).

I personally prefer laundry detergent with scent for the exact reason that this product falls victim to. The scent is not bad per say, but just smells funny. They tried hard to hide all of the smell, but there is a light scent that is probably supposed to smell like fresh laundry, but I am not that big of a fan of it.