View more dVRs

TiVo
TCD649080
TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder

TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder

I don't even remember life without TIVO

Tivo is fun, easy, and soo convenient. I am a 4 year Tivo subscriber and I don't think I could ever go back to a non-tivo existence.
Read complete review

DVR's in general are a great thing, but Tivo is extra special.  My favorite tivo function is the Wishlist.  I put in all of my favorite Actors in.  I also do wishlists for upcoming trip destinations,so I can find travel shows about places I will be visiting.  You can set it up to automatically record wishlist shows, or just save them and check to wishlist every few days.  Never miss your favorite actor or actress on a talk show, watch every travel special about Vienna before you visit,  know whenever there is a special about any topic you are interested in.

You have to pay

This product is a DVR which stands for digital video recorder. It is the equivalent of a fancy. updated, modernized version of the VCR which used to let you record anything from your TV to a VHS. Now that VHS is not popular due to the inferior quality, DVR's are used which saves all of the video recordings digitally. Basically this is a simple computer with a hard drive and software that only does one thing: record television. The Tivo DVR is probably one of the first DVR's ever made but the problem is they charge so much for it. You can find much cheaper DVR's that do exactly the same thing for much cheaper. Like mentioned earlier, this device is basically a hard disk for storage + software. All the hard disks are the same so you are only really paying a premium for Tivo software programming. Now these days you can just connect your laptop and/or desktop computer to your TV and record directly.

what would we do without it?

from Stone Mountain, GA

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

we purchased the tivo - series 2 to replace our older version so we would be able to watch a show while recording another. we loved our original tivo but that limitation of not being able to watch a show while recording another was a little too restrictive. we worked with our cable company to get a cable card installed into our tivo thereby reducing the number of components we have since we no longer need the cable box. the tivo itself is very easy to configure and connect to the cable provider. we have customised ours to do season passes and connect to our wireless network to get schedule updates (the other alternative is to use a telephone line). we have young children so we tivo all of our shows (csi and the like) to watch while they are sleeping. i would recommend the tivo to anyone. it really is an amazing piece of technology.

• Capacity:
  • Recording Quality:
  • Settings/Features:

Tivo is the best thing since sliced bread!

from Mckinney, TX

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

Tivo is the best invention ever.  I work two jobs so i cant get to all my shows when they are on.  Now i can watch them on my time.  Plus i can zip through commercials.  Its really great for sports events.  I can watch an NFL game in about an hour, and a NBA game in about 45 minutes.  Best invention ever!

I don't know how I could do without it - now I don't miss shows!

from Watertown, NY

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

Oh boy. Well first, when you turn it on, Tivo leads you through the set up process in a logical easy fashion. I am fairly tech savvy, and added the wireless option so that Tivo could connect with my wireless router to save a lot of wiring. So, I hooked my cable to Tivo, my Tivo to my TV and also added a Dvd recorder/player with no issues.

I think one of my favorite things about Tivo is how intuitive the controls, remote and even the menus are. I have not had any problems figuring out how to set up recordings, recording quality or making DVDs of shows to watch (much) later. I can easily check to see the recording history or the to do list. Huge plus is season pass - it will find your show to record when the station decides to move the day or time it's shown. Yay!  Another big plus, you can individually choose recording quality for programs, so if you are going to DVD it, you can use the high quality versus medium or basic (to save memory). I got mine when I went back to school to get my degree and will be working nights, so without Tivo there would be no House, Bones, etc. for me!!!

My only negitive remark would be Tivo's tendency to record programs that I won't watch - but there is a fix. It allows you to review and repeatedly giving 3 thumbs down will elimate a program from Tivo's list.

This is my significant other

from Smyrna, GA

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

A friend of mine bought my my Tivo over four years ago, and I really have come to depend on it. So much so that I am nervous about it's age. It does what it is supposed to fo, and more.

It records the shows at reasonable quality (on standard, DVD quality on Best). It keeps them as long as I need them or want them, and makes suggestions that, despite a few glaring and repetitive errors (I do NOT want to watch any moe episodes of Masterminds. Get it?) they seem fair enough.

It is reliable, it is easy to use, it is friendly, and even keeps up with the constantly changing cable lineup. The remote is not the battery hog I was afraid it would be, and though I have yet to figure out how to transfer a show to disk, every other feature works fine. I highly recommend it for those features alone.

The price might seem a tad high, but the value received (watching what I want when I want) is worth it to me. I think that this, the Gold Standard by which DVRs are compared, still ranks the highest. I recommend it to everyone I know.

Plus, I can program it via the internet when I am away! Bonus!

I just love my TIVO DVR!

from Fairview, TN

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

I used to be a VCR person, until someone in my family introduced me to the TIVO. I just love it. You can rewind and fast forward live TV. Say your watching a show like American Idol. You want to watch the singers but you don't want to watch the commercials or the judges comments, all you have to do is skip that stuff and your set. It's such an awesome way to watch TV. I would recommend it to anyone. Throw out that old VCR, this is the new way to watch TV. It's amazing how much technology has changed our lives in the past 20 something years. This is a true example of how advanced our society has become. From VCR's to rewinding live TV or skipping commercials that you don't want to see. Again, I would recommend this to anyone.

TiVo, the peanut butter to television's chocolate

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

I am not sure if I would be able to go back to a TiVoless existence. I can hardly remember the bad old days of watching television without it. The ability to record all the shows I want to see and watch them at my leisure, with the added bonus of minimizing the interruption of commercials, has become essential to my TV viewing.

The TiVo does everything you'd expect from a modern DVR: Set recordings, watch them later, rewind, fast forward, etc. The difference between this and other DVRs is the interface. My experience with other DVRs (those offered by Insight and Time Warner) has been mediocre. They function, but slowly and at times counterintuitively. Not so with TiVo. The menus are always quick to respond, the controls are intuitive and easy to use, and the audio feedback is just enough to be helpful but not obtrusive.

In addition to the standard features, TiVo will record recommended programs based on your preferences. This feature has been nice to have, since it usually finds things that I would enjoy watching but usually wouldn't go out of my way to record.

I can only think of two things I didn't like about it: The season pass will occasionally record a number of reruns, possibly due to bad information being provided to the program guide; and the remotes can be difficult or expensive to replace. They are however good enough to be worth the money.

TiVO is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from San Leandro, CA

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

YES I LOVE MY TiVo! I don't know how I ever got by without it. The model I have is a dual tuner, which means you can record on two channels at the same time, plus still watch live tv. One of my favorite features is the Season Pass option. You can program your favorite shows and have it record any episodes of that show automatically. You can also tell it to just record new episodes or all of them. No more scrambling to record a show the same night it's on. Also, if the time changes due to another program. For example, a sporting event, TiVo knows to record it at the new time, which a VCR wouldn't know to do. TiVo Suggestions is also pretty cool. When you watch or search for shows, you can give a "thumb" rating to the show...up to 3 thumbs up or down, or leave it neutral. as the way it is! so i recommend this TiVo to everyone out there that is looking for something to record your show's that you watch on a daily basis! i give it a 5/5 (:

I love my TiVo!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

I really don't remember what I did before I got my first TiVo years ago.  This is really an essential product for any television lover.  Not only does it record all your favorite shows, it handily organizes them into folders for you so you can quickly glance through and see how many episodes of which shows you have available to watch.  The interface is so incredibly easy to use and even the setup process, while time consuming, is user friendly.  The only issue I have ever had with my TiVo was after the switch to digital signals and having to use TiVo with a converter box.  Apparently Comcast's converter box does not work well with TiVo and very ocassionally the channel will not switch and TiVo will record the wrong program.  This is not in any way due to an error on TiVo's part, it is a Comcast issue.  The 80 hour TiVo has more than enough room to store many, many episodes of your favorite shows, sporting events, etc. especially if recorded on basic quality.

TIVO!

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

i love tivo as i can watch games and shows that i dont get a chance to watch due to late nights...but when i first bougth it, it was kind of faulty and it froze a few times. other than that, it is pretty much everything i expected but it is kind of confusing to navigate for me as i am not a big tech guy.

I dont think i can watch tv the same after having a TIVO

from Gardena, CA

Comments about TiVo - Series2 Video Recorder:

Pros:  This product is very intuitive user interface for the set-up screens and remote. It comes in a very secure packaging unit and includes cables that is very good quality. I love this product because i can record up to multiple shows at a time and never miss the shows that i love. I work most of the day and its nice to see some shows that are airing while i work.  The Bad... The remote is very low quality and it feels really cheap. Also the installation wasn't very easy to set up. It took many hours and i spend a lot of time on the internet trying to get it to work. I finally gave up and called customer service and they had to walk me through the process which took another hour or so. Another bad this is the customer service/ sales department are always trying to get you to pay more than what you should. Sign up for the services that you only need and not the 3 year prepaid service that they tried to sign me up for. Other than their services I think it is a great product and definitely worth getting.