Other DVRs:
TiVo
TiVo - Premiere

TiVo - Premiere

The TiVo premiere allows you to record two shows at once!

Comments about TiVo - Premiere:

This unit is another winner from TiVo. My only real complaint is that when using the "HD menus" there is a noticeable lag in the response of the system. I use the "SD menus" and don't have the lag issue. You can watch Netflix, Hulu Plus and some cable system On Demand selections right from the TiVo menus.

Capacity
The capacity is enough to get you by.

Recording Quality
Recording quality is great.

This is where the TiVo shines., The user interface is unmatched. Simple and intuitive.

• Capacity:
  • Recording Quality:
  • Settings/Features:

Excellent product

from Carrollton, TX

Comments about TiVo - Premiere:

We love our TiVo Premiere. This is the third or fourth TiVo we've purchased (as the newer technology became available), and were lucky enough to be able to transfer a lifetime subscription to this TiVo. We did have some problems with the initial model, but customer service was excellent and sent us a new unit, even though we were past the initial warranty period. I would recommend the TiVo Premiere without hesitation.

Capacity
On our old TiVo, we had to purchase an external hard drive to hold everything. Even with the HD, this one has plenty of capacity.

Recording Quality
It's a computer hard drive and will, eventually corrupt. That being said, we have many fewer spots corruption where the recordings pixelate and sound quality is destroyed.

Very self-explanatory controls.

Settings/Features
The features of this model give you a much wider array of options for exploring a program from within the program. It still has all the usual Tivo options and features, as well as some on demand programming.

• Capacity:
  • Recording Quality:
  • Settings/Features:

Still the best DVR but only just

from Saint Albans, NY

Comments about TiVo - Premiere:

I love Tivo, been a Tivo user since the early days. I must of been one of the last remaining Tivo user on DirecTV because I refused to use anything. Along comes Fios, I jumped ship and tried their DVR, not bad but the recording space was a joke. Hello Tivo Premiere, preordered, got my cable card ordered. Installation was as painless as such things can be. Kick the Verizon tech out of my house and now its time to play.. Menu.. Ehh Why are half of the menus still in SD? Why is this thing so slow? Why is it locking up every hour?  Wow Tivo I didn't know I signed up to be a beta tester. Fast forward almost a year later and many software updates. Menu have been improved, speed has been improved and I can't remember the last time it locked up. In its current state I'd recommend it, Tivo is still the best DVR on the market....for now.

PS The Tivo iPad app is awesome.

Would buy again, just wish more more responsive interface

from Coldwater, MI

Comments about TiVo - Premiere:

We recently upgraded from a single tuner Series 2 TiVo to the Premiere.  Firstly the Premiere is much more sleek and modern looking than the Series 2.  I prefer the slim gloss black aesthetics to the older chunky silver face of the Series 2.  Obviously having two tuners is a major improvement to us as my wife and I no longer need to fight over whose show will be recorded.

HD programming looks great and I only wish we had access to more HD channels through our local provider.  I appreciate that the Premiere has the ability to make use of a cable card and can consequently replace a cable box.  In the future I plan on investigating whether our cable provider offers the** ***Multi*-Stream cable card the TiVo requires.  The HD interface is a bit sluggish at times when navigating menus and making selections.  I would be interested to know if this is software or a hardware issue.  I’m hoping that later updates can help make the interface more responsive.

Setup was typical TiVo easy; plug in the HDMI cable from the TV, connect the Ethernet and supply power.  Within about 20 minutes of unboxing the unit I was watching TV with no issues.  If you have never had a TiVo you may not miss it, but once you have its hard going back.

The TiVo Premiere is almost there but falls short...

from Miamisburg, OH

Comments about TiVo - Premiere:

I made a decision to upgrade my TiVo HD to the new Premiere and have mixed feelings.  The biggest single problem with the Series 3/TiVo HD/TiVo HDXL is although it supports HD, the menus aren't in HD.  Well, this doesn't get there entirely either.

It falls short and really I feel like I'm still testing the product.  Although the screens and the improved user interface are nice and easier on the eyes, there are still components from the older software included.  That's frustrating because I wanted a truly HD DVR from TiVo, but when they bring items in the UI over from the older version of the product, it's frustrating.  It could be that in a year from now, this problem will be a past issue, but it is one now.  I don't like buying a new product and feel like I'm having to call with issues because it hasn't been tested enough.

In fact, when I bought by Premiere, it didn't even have the new user interface installed.  There was a delay in getting it finished, so I had to wait three weeks for make it look any different on the screen than my old TiVo HD and because of bugs, there are times when I have to use the old menus until the problem is resolved.  This is frustrating because I paid for another lifetime subscription and when the Premiere has the TiVo HD screens, it doesn't get me anything at all.

If you're new to TiVo, this is a great product.  If you're considering upgrading, wait.  It's just not ready for primetime and it's a decision I regret financially.