1.5

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

The Friendly Service Outweighed the Problem

We had arrived, courtesy of [Southwest Airlines][1] , at the first leg of our three week trip and now needed transportation on the ground. **Thrifty Car Rental** had an internet  special on a weekly rental for a mini-van. Since there would be four and sometimes more of us on this trip with lots of luggage, a van sounded really good to us. We picked it up at the Kansas City airport, loaded the luggage and headed to Olathe, KS where we would spend the night and add my sister to the traveling crew. There were a couple of flaky things about the Chrysler Town and Country but we decided we could ignore them.

We headed for the next stop, [Branson, MO][2] . On the way a couple of other flaky things manifested themselves, but they were just irritants and made us wonder a little. The van got us there with no problems and we started the tourist portion of our trip. The mini-van really came in handy since my honey had arranged a great surprise for me - two of my children, one with wife and the other with grandson, magically appeared in the lobby of our motel in Branson to share a long weekend with me. Since oldest son is an accomplished mechanic, he suggested the quirks of the Chrysler might not be good to ignore for long. No one listens to their kids, right? By the end of the six days in Branson my honey suggested, rather strongly, that she did not want to head to the wilds of Southeast Missouri in this piece of junk. I called the twenty-four hour Thrifty Road Assistance hotline.

What a great experience! Kathy was both friendly and professional. She decided we should stop by the Springfield,Mo airport on our departure to see Jerry and pick up a replacement. We followed her advice. With the tire monitor warning flashing, we made it to the airport fine. We were quickly given a Dodge mini-van as a replacement. Johnny missed the bright red of the Chrysler. More importantly, we found the seating in the Dodge to be much less accommodating than the Chrysler. Honey voiced a complaint and the friendly folk in Springfield grabbed the Chrysler they had been using as a shuttle van, cleaned it, gassed it, and even helped us transfer the luggage, including honey's overweight bag, into the replacement. We lost less than an hour from our trip.

Their cars may be a little suspect at **Thrifty**, but their caring, friendly, and efficient service makes us feel good about using them again in the future.We are now in the little town of Arcadia, MO, visiting with our oldest sister and feel pretty comfortable with this third mini-van.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Southwest-Airlines-review-31643
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Branson-review-87887

Beware the cockroach mobile!

I'm not brand-loyal when it comes to renting a vehicle; I rent based on price and location.  However, since I have rented from **Thrifty** several times, I am a Blue Chip member and utilize that service when renting a car from them.

My last **Thrifty **rental was out of the Albuquerque, New Mexico airport.  I had reserved the car using my Blue Chip number so everything was ready when I got to the counter.  The customer service agent was very friendly and helpful and our check-in experience pleasant.

Our vehicle was exactly what we had reserved and was clean and drove well.  That said, the following day the oil light came on inside of the car.  My husband checked the oil and it was low.  That is something that should have been checked before we were loaned out the car.  Since we were not convenient to the **Thrifty **location and didn't want the hassle of returning the car, we forked over $5 at Walgreen's and put more oil in the car.  Problem solved but we were still irritated that we had to pay an extra $5 for our car rental.  When we returned the car, we didn't tell the **Thrifty** employee about the oil problem because we didn't want to be accused of damaging the car or doing something that was prohibited in our rental agreement.

Flash back a few years to our **Thrifty **car rental at the Lihue Airport location in Kauai, Hawaii.  It was our honeymoon and we were excited to get in our car and explore the beautiful island of Kauai.  Even though I was a **Thrifty** Blue Chip member, we had an extraordinarily long wait with no apologies.  We weren't happy but let it go since it was our honeymoon and we were in Hawaii!

We had used the car for approximately 24 hours before we went to get inside of it on our second night in Kauai.  We had planned on going out for a romantic dinner.  All romance was lost when my husband loudly told me to get out of the car.  It was then that we noticed the car was infested with cockroaches!  We had unknowingly been driving around in it for an entire day (and the previous night) with open bags and food.  We contacted the **Thrifty** office and were told that no one was available to bring us another rental car until the following morning.  That didn't help us because we were leaving the next day for our cruise.

Needless to say, our romantic dinner never happened and I didn't sleep well that night thinking that our luggage was infested with cockroaches.  When we returned the car the following morning (the cockroaches only came out at night), we told a **Thrifty** employee about the cockroach problem.  We were told that they would take care of it but they just put the car back in the line to be washed and re-rented out.  I was later told that cockroaches in rental cars in Hawaii is not unusual.  Even so, we were never compensated for our cockroach-infested car and none of the employees seemed to really care.

Overall, my impression of **Thrifty** is just that - a "thrifty" rental company where you get what you pay for.  I will still use them for future car rentals if the price is right, although you can bet that when my husband and I finally return to Hawaii to celebrate an anniversary, we will not be using **Thrifty** then.

By the way, several months later we had a garage sale and when I opened up an empty plastic bag from Hawaii, I found a dead cockroach inside.  Not the kind of souvenir that I had intended to bring back home.

I would give zero stars if I could

from Memphis

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

I was charged double for the insurance that I purchased, then I get my final statement and they charged me for having the car an extra day, I called (3 times) got a different answer each time. Finally find out that they claimed that we didn't return the car until 11:30 rather than 5am. We actually returned it early at 4am. I asked why this was and was told that 11:30 is when they got around to checking in the key/returns from the drop off box. Not my fault that people can't get their jobs done until 11:30AM. I had to submit my travel itinerary to proved that I was on a plane almost home at 11:30. Ridiculous!!! Very rude customer service as well.

Terrible Experience

from Jacksonville, Fl.

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

Booked online and was quoted a total fee. Went to jax airport and got charged a higher fee, making total charge $14.00 higher due to other charged based on % of base charge.
Completed company survey, asked for a manager to contact me, haven't heard anything a week later. Lousy company and will not rent from them again!!

Hidden charges , poor customer service, NEVER again

from MCO airport orlando

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

I was told to bring the car back empty to the rental company and would be charges $43 USD to fill the tank. I was charged $9.99 a gallon instead. After talking to customer service, I was refunded "some" of it back but not the agreed amount. Poor !

Would not rent from Thirfty/hertz again

from Boston

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

Rented a Thrifty vehicle at Shannon Airport - bought insurance, but was not told that we needed extra policy for tires. Of course, we got a flat. Paid for towing, paid for a new tire. (Btw The spare in the trunk was in very poor shape.) When we returned car to airport - no accommodation for the significant $$ outlay or inconvenience and, without having seen the car yet, the Hertz return agent (who handled Thirty) told us that we'd likely have to pay for the wheel rim. (We didn't - but let's talk about some courtesy here.) Just cancelled my Thrifty reservation for a Seattle trip in a couple of weeks.

worst car rental agrncy hands down

from Melrose, MN

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

I only gave one star because no stars were not a option!
I reserved the car online for a very good price. When picking up the car at the Fort Myers Florida air port I was asked if we wanted to add an additional driver. We said no, we didn't really need another driver but asked if there was a charge for getting another authorized driver? They said no there was no charge! We thought what the heck as long as there was no charge we'd do that. We filled out the paper work and on that document it said there MAY be additional charges.We both questioned that and were again reassured no extra charges.We signed the document which had no charges on it. We were then asked about the fuel return option,we declined it and were told that you had to sign it or no car. I asked if we return it full do we still get charged? They said no charge for fuel package if returned full,it was just a policy they had to follow on account of so many people returning cars empty. Like fools we trusted them and signed for that as well.My wife questioned the fuel package amount and had me call to verify if returned full there would be no charge to Credit Card.I did that and talked to a representative who told me the same thing,return it full and no charges. I got the representatives name and employee ID number just in case something came up. When we returned the car we asked the inspection attendant about the fuel,he looked at the gauge and assured us there would be no fuel charge. All was well, so we thought! The next month when we received our Credit Card statement there was and additional 320 dollars billed to my card! I have been fighting them about the charges to this day and it's like talking to a rock! they tell me it's all documented charges that I agreed to? I told them there was no amount figures on the document I signed as far as the extra driver charge and told them the car was returned full and still got charged for the fuel package,their reply was fuel options are not refundable! BEWARE!

Hidden cross border charges!!

from Windhoek Namibia

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

Hired a car from Windhoek airport and paid the cross border charge to take the car into Botswana! However what they hadn't told us was the car was registered in South Africa so when we crossed back into Namibia we had to pay again- luckily we still had some Namibian dollars on us otherwise we would have been stranded! Totally unacceptable not to tell people this and when I bought it up on return the answer was- well it's in t&c's! That I understand however why give us a SA registered vehicle in Namibia! No refund or even an apology! Wouldn't rent from them again!

Pay the extra money for a good rental car!

from Edmonton Alberta

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

Rest assured I will never use dollar or thrifty car rental. We recently used thrifty in Chicago OHare- the service was the laziest with mega attitude that I ever seen with no desire whatsoever to get the Customer served promptly. We waited in line close to an hour to pick up our vehicle. Except for the shuttle driver who was an angel who had his work cut out soothing customers who were stressed about making their flight - A shuttle by the way which ran 1 time per hour- a 10 min drive to oHare- one of the busiest airports in the US. The saving was not worth the stress of dealing with this company. I have a hard giving one star .

NEVER EVER USE THRIFTY

from California, Connecticut

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

I am a resident on CT and took a vacation to CA. Upon arriving in LAX, we waited for a Thrifty shuttle for AT LEAST 40 mins just to get my rental car. I watched other car rental shuttles make several rounds to pick their paying customers up. By several, I mean they drove by about every 4-7 mins. I actually timed this after the first 20 mins of waiting for Thrifty. When we finally got to Thrifty to pick up our rental car, there was literally no line. The man who checked us in to get the rental car was extremely pushy with selling all of the extras. When I declined any of the extra insurance fees, he seemed to get really annoyed. So, I started to second guess myself. I asked the man if he would mind if I stepped aside to call my own car insurance company to see if I had any coverage in regards to rental cars. He actually said that was okay. So I stepped aside and my phone call literally last less than 3 mins and he took another customer, which I expected. I waited for him to finish with that customer and then stepped up to speak to him again. As I am trying to speak to him, he cuts me off and tells me that I need to get back in line that was now about 8 people long. Had the representative told me that I'd need to get back in line in the meantime, I gladly would have. But he told me that I could step aside for a quick phone call and then he would take me. So now, I got stuck waiting 40 mins to get my rental car. The reason why the line took so long is because, even though there are 10 stations to check in, they only had 1-2 employees working!!! For such a busy airport, why would there only be two employees, at most, checking people in? When we got the car, it reeked! So there we were, driving around in Cali in 100 degree weather with the windows down because the car smelled so bad!!! When I got home from vacation, Thrifty sent me an additional bill for $15. It is never enough for them!

I will never rent from Thrifty/Dollar again.

from Denver, CO.

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

When I picked up my vehicle in Denver, CO, I was told to pick from anything in a specific lot. There were 3 cars to choose from and all of them were dirty, especially inside. Stains on the seats. Mileage on all of them was in high 30k. All three had dents and large scratches.
The worst part was dealing with their customer service on the phone since I didn't get a receipt. After numerous phone calls, on-hold for up to 45 minutes at a time, spending a total of 90 minutes to get someone to email me a copy of the receipt.
Terrible company to deal with.

Unethical Fleecing of Customers!!!

from Chicago, Illinois

Comments about Thrifty Car Rental:

Rented an SUV fromThrifty in Las Vegas recently. Visited Zion and Bryce Canyon NP's. We were shocked to be charged $100 for bringing the car back dirty!!!. That's the outside of the car, not the inside which was as clean as we rented. We had, if fact, had to go through a mud puddle several days before at one of the parks, but it was nothing that a drive-thru car wash could not have handled. There is of course no response to my letter and a phone call got me to an agent who said that if they said it "was unusually dirty" it must be justified. I guess there is a reason these companies are cheap, and they seem to find a way to get back the difference in $'s.