Other Learning Toys:
Learning Toys, Pretend Play

Pros

Cons

Toys that will be played with for years!

My son began enjoying Thomas and Friends when he was two years old.  He is now seven years old and still enjoys playing with his Thomas and Friends trains and tracks.  My two year old daughter has started playing with Thomas and Friends and I enjoy watching my son and daughter play with their track and trains together.  We have many of the buildings that go with the Brio Thomas and Friends track.  We have Toby's windmill, the signal house, the round house, the barrel loader, the recycling station, the water tower, and the coal mine.  Some of the buildings have sounds with them which make them fun for the kids to play with.  We also have several switches so that the track can go many different ways.  My children enjoy making the biggest track that they possibly can.  Our play room becomes the island of Sodor with the track going through the doll house, under the art table and around the baby's exersaucer.  They will play with their Thomas and Friends trains for hours.  We also own many of the Thomas and Friends DVDs.  I love how they teach my children good values.  They teach your children to be "useful engines," not to be proud, to be reliable, to be kind to each other and many other great moral values that are important for children to learn and understand.  We also own a number of Thomas and Friends books.  These are great for bedtime stories or just snuggling up during the day with a blanket to read.  The pages are worn because we have read them so many times.  Another Thomas and Friends item we own is the Thomas and Friends Math Game.  This is a great game for your preschooler or elementary aged child.  You can adapt the game to fit your child's math ability.  I homeschool my seven year old and we use it many times for a resource in our math class.  It teaches addition up to ten with more than one addend.  It's also great for teaching your preschooler those early math skills he will need for school.  Thomas and Friends is not only great for toys, DVDs and books, but it is also wonderful for decorations.  My son wanted to decorate his room in Thomas and Friends so we painted his room green and red and painted his bed blue and bought him the Thomas and Friends sheets for his bed. We got Thomas and Friends material and made curtains for his windows and his aunt and uncle bought him a Thomas and Friends blanket.  His room is one of the funnest rooms in the house.  It is bright and cheery and a fun room to be in.  We added some Thomas and Friends items to the room to.  My son has the Thomas and Friends whistle and the Thomas and Friends lantern to add some decoration to the room.  My children absolutely love Thomas and Friends and I am sure that my nine month old baby boy will also be a Thomas and Friends fan some day soon.

Obsessed Children!

When my brother was little he had one little Thomas train that he loved. Now that I work as a professional nanny i have seen a sickness that is pulled along by this toy. One of the little boys I take care of currently LOVES trains. And loves them to the point of it being unreasonable and a complete obsession. We went to a train museum when he was 3 and he was so excited he cried half of the time. After working for this family for over a year it has become apparent that this obsession is unhealthy. It has been an uphill battle. Something that was used to calm him down and make him happy turned into something evil. The more nannies I talk to, and stay at home moms we run into at the park etc... the more I see it isn't just this child. Many kids with Thomas sets are just as obsessed as he once was. It has been enough for me to warn people against them, or feeding into any one toy so much that it becomes an obsession. My sister has been fortunate enough to see this in many people and limit the Thomas toys with my nephew, and he is better because of it.

my son loves Thomas would buy this again

from glade spring Virginia

About Me Parent Of Two Or More Children, Stay At Home Parent

Pros

• Durable
  • Educational
  • Engaging
  • Interactive
  • Lots of Fun

Cons

• Entertainment
    • Indoor
    • Older Children
    • Special Needs
    • Travel
    • Young Children

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

My son loves everything about Thomas you can not go wrong buying this

• Was this a gift?:

Great Branding and fun for all!

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

My two kids absolutely love this brand, Thomas and Friends. The movies (wonderful on Netflix!), books, toy trains, etc. are a source of much excitement around our home. They are especially fond of the Wooden Railway toy train "series." They have fun building tracks "to great destinations," roll-playing with their wooden trains, collecting trains, singing the songs from the movies while playing, etc. The trains are great quality. We haven't had a broken one yet, and they get daily use, multiple times per day, and get tossed around quite a bit. They are also readily accessible at most toy stores and online. My biggest gripe, which is why I didn't give it 10 stars, is that the trains and track accessories are pretty pricey. If you can find a combo pack with two or more trains, you'll get a better deal. Overall, the stories are cute, the fun names of the trains and their collectability amongst the kids, and the warm-hearted learning lessons and themes add to the charm of this brand.

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

Thomas & Friends is a brand that has been around for decades, and for good reason! This enchanting little steam train is not only good for telling stories which, might I say, have good morals and lessons, but also for keeping the children quietly entertained with good wholesome fun. Over the years we must have purchased at least 20 dvd's, 2 jigsaw puzzles and many train sets all with different themes and scenes. Some of the train sets have a wooden track which fit together just like a jigsaw puzzle and the trains connect magnetically, other train sets are plastic and connect with a genuine train-connection "s" hook. The characters (Thomas, Cranky, Salty, Mr Topham Hat ) are unique characters with individual personality traits and whilst they are different, they all have a common enthusiasm for the success of the village. This is a truly wonderful brand that will be handed down from generation to generation.

has been past from my 17 yr old to my five year old

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

I've been lucky enough to enjoy this with all of my boys.Each of us has been a big fan since around 94. Now more than ever it has became more a well known idle that cost should go down. I'm sure this is going to be a life time relationship. Thomas the tank and friends is something I always encourage everyone to look in to. The toys educate as well as the shows themselves.

Keeps them playing!

from Hixson, TN

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

I have heard of Thomas for a long time but my daughter never cared for Thomas.  My son is now 16 months old and is really starting to get into him.  He is always walking around saying choo choo.  I bought him the early engineers set for Christmas and he is starting to get the concept of playing with him.  I like that Thomas grows with your child.  There is a huge assortment of trains and accesories that you can get for your child.  I do not like that they are pricey.  Unless there is some type of sale I do not think that I could afford to get very much thomas stuff for my son.  They are definately popular so you can find them anywhere in any store.  I think that the variety of trains as toys is appealing.  My son also likes to watch the tv show.  I have to say that I do like the older versions of thomas versuses the new shows that I have seen.  They definately teach the kids very good lessons which I love in cartoons these days.

Obsessed Children!

from Burlington, KS

Mostly Great Fun!

from New York, NY

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

The first day I was so excited when I got Zip Zoom and Logging Adventure. I wripped the paper and opened the box. I got everything out and set it all up, it took about 20 minutes, at first. Now it takes about 10 minutes. At first the zip line bridge was fantastic, but when I put it together next time the zip line bridge didn't work. We sprayed it with a small amount of Silicone spray and Thomas want faster and now it works again. The track was numbered which was helpful in set up, the stands snapped together perfectly, Thomas was really really fast. I loved going through the tree truck and down the big hill over the zip line bridge. The zip line bridge works with one carriage only, and it doesn't work with some engines such as Emily and Molly. You've got to make sure you snap the tracks into the stand. The logging mill worked perfectly. You can set the track up in another way as explained in the instructions. One of the big curved pieces is sloped so you cannot use that as a flat piece. My favourite track is making an oval up high as well as a low section where Thomas goes down the zip line bridge. Overall I like it.

good clean fun

from Cayucos, CA

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

so many children's programs are so annoying to adults nowadays, with adults dancing and singing weirdlylike. so nice to have an age appropriate, easy to look at and easy to listen to program, and imagination stimulating toys. Sure it costs an arm and a leg for each and every bit of track and train, but those trains take a beating and keep on going! My son's favorite Thomas item....are you ready?....the Thomas catalog! It lists all of the trains and some of the track sets and he reads it and makes his wish list in his mind and learns his letters and colors using this train buddies. It is amazing to watch him play with the wooden trains on the wooden tracks, making his own train sounds and stories in his imagination. He loves the Thomas books and the stories are not over his head. He seems not to bore of any of the trains. He also enjoys the printouts of his favorite characters to color! Thank you Thomas and Friends!

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME TOY

from Boise, ID

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

my daughter and her best friend would sit in my friends play room and play for hours with her older brothers thomas the train sets.  the girls would be so quiet and they would get along so well and they would build track after track.  elaberate towns and rail ways.    it was amazing to see two girls getting along so well (they were 3) and playing not with dolls or kitchens..but trains!  my daughter loved thomas from the start!

this year my friend got my daughter her own tote full of thomas the train sets.  everything she would need to make her own rolling towns and railways.  m y daughter was beside herself with happiness.    they were some of the best gifts she has yet to recieve.

every saturday my daughter and i (and sometimes my 9 yr old niece) will take out the trains..move the coffee table and we will sit watching saturday morning cartoons and we will build our own raiways and towns.  it is the best way to spend a saturday morning.

one of the best toys my child owns.    hands down.  i cnat wait to get my little nephew and niece intrested in thomas when they are old enough.

Thomas and Friends is a great choice

from Fall River, MA

Comments about Thomas & Friends:

I have rated Thomas and Friends a five star. I have been watching Thomas and Friends now for three years.  My son got into when he was just two years old.  I sometimes feel like I now live on the island of sodor.

We have take along engines, we have some wooden, and also track master.  I now have two children who are five, and two,  and they both can sit there and play with thomas all day long. You name it and it has thomas on it my oldest wants it in the worst way.  He has everything from toys, to books, to clothes, to sneakers, to a rug, to plates. We have a lot of fun turning our living room into the island of sodor and we have all three different sets to play with.

The pros for me is that we have spent alot of money and it's something that has grown with my child, They have both learned alot from watching thomas and friend either on tv or on line. and it's something the whole family can play with.

The cons for me is the price.. That would be the biggest problem, Some times i can find things on sale so its not to bad. but most of the time they cant be very expensive. exp the wooden trains.