4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

• Side Effects:

I never thought diets would work for me!

I've always been thick, big-boned, full-figured, or whatever name you want to call it to soften the blow.  I had decided that I was going to be big forever and was in the process of just accepting that there was nothing I could do about it.  I wasn't going to "diet" because that meant that I would starve, and I'm not a nice person when I'm hungry.  I was starting to exercise, but having asthma means that if I overdo it with the cardio, my chest would burn and I couldn't breathe.  I was great at weightlifting, but that didn't do anything but start to bulk me up.  I had given up.  But then I learned that I was pregnant and started gaining weight with the pregnancy and stopped weighlifting.  I started at about 220 lbs.  Then creeped up to 240, then 260, 275, and finally when I had my last weigh in I weighed 301 lbs.  I thought to myself this is ridiculous, I've gained 80 lbs in 9 months.  I knew that this was a problem.  I had almost failed my glucose testing during my pregnancy (I failed the one-hour test, but passed the three-hour test).  On the day of my delivery I couldn't lay on my back.  Every time I did, my blood pressure would shoot through the roof (190/110).  So there I was 23 years old and weighing more than some body builders.  Did I make the change then--nope.  After giving birth to a beautiful daughter, I tried to exercise and do the walking thing, but I couldn't find anything that I could stick with--so I gave up.  I let myself go.  That was the worst thing I could have done.  After the pregnancy I worked my way down to about 280 and stalled.  Once I gave up my weight shot up 330 lbs.  I was on blood pressure medication at 24 years old and things weren't looking good.  But we all know it takes just that one moment to change your view of everything.  My moment came at an amusement park in California called Knott's Berry Farm.  I was taking my daughter, who was then 3, to the park with my family.  It was her first time at an amusement park and she wanted to ride a ride.  I stood in line for about 15 minutes waiting to get on the kiddie bus ride.  I got in the seat next to my daughter and tried to buckle the belt.  It wouldn't reach.  I sucked in my stomach, I twisted in my seat, I tried to buckle it under my belly, but no matter what I did it wouldn't reach.  Finally, the attendant came over and said quielty, "Ma'am you can't ride the ride without the seatbelt buckled".  Utterly humiliated, I had to get off the ride with my daughter (she was too small to ride alone) in front of the fifteen people on the ride and the other 30 or 40 standing in line.  I was completely moritified and heartbroken when I had to explain to a 3-year-old that "Mommy was too fat to ride the ride".  That was it.  I had had enough.  A few months later, my mom came to me with this new diet she wanted to try called South Beach.  I told her I wasn't going to starve myself and be hungry all the time.  She reminded of the Knott's Berry Farm incident and asked that I at least give a try.  If I didn't lose any weight the first two weeks then I could quit and she 'd leave me alone.  I figured I could tough it out for two weeks.  During that two weeks I lost almost 15 lbs!  The best part is that I was never hungry.  I could eat what I wanted and get full and was losing the weight.  I went on to lose over 70lbs between October 2005 and May 2006!  It was easy.  The great thing is that it wasn't a lot of don't ever eat this again and you can't have that.  If I had a bad day as far as what I ate, there was not a problem, I could just do better the next day and still lose the pounds and inches.  I started fitting into clothes that I hadn't worn in years.  I added color to my wardrobe again since, I'd worn black all the time to try and mask the fat.  The one thing that no other program had ever done that South Beach was able to do for me, was to change my ideas about food.  Even now, I don't look at food the same.  I avoid white starches (white rice, white bread, white potatoes) when I can.  I rarely eat a sandwhich with two slices of bread--I opt for open-face sandwiches that have one slice of bread on the bottom.  On occassions, where I've tried to go back to eating like I used to eat, it feels unnatural and I don't enjoy the food.  Over the past 2 years, I've gained a few pounds, during times when I was paying attention to what I was eating or I wasn't exercising enough and the cool thing is I can go right back to phase 1 and start the process again and watch the weight fall off.  I really wish I had a before picture that I can show you, but I do have an after picture from the summer of 2007 when I took my daughter to Disney World and could **RIDE ALL THE RIDES WITH HER!**

South Beach diet is not too good for vegetarians...

I tried the South Beach diet twice and it was not very successful for me either time.  The first time I tried it, I was a vegetarian, and there aren't a lot of options for food on the diet during the first 2 weeks if you can't eat meat. Luckily, I still ate eggs and fish which made it easier. But i found myself eating spoonfuls of peanut butter and pickles as my snacks a lot. BLAH!Basically, I lost a couple pounds during the first couple weeks, but I was also jogging and working out a lot. After that, my weight stayed the same. Now, I dont have a lot of weight to lose in general, just wanted to lose about 10-15 lbs. so this may have made it difficult.I tried the diet again recently and I do eat meat now, but I did not lose any weight this time at all! I think this diet is good for helping you to learn about carbs and how to eat healthy, but it didnt help me lose weight. And i dont recommend it for vegetarians or vegans! You also have to be aware that you need to learn to integrate this diet into a realistic long term health habit!

Loved this diet

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

I've tried losing 20 lbs for years by eating healthy and in two months on this diet, even with some cheating, I lost it. I could see the results in the first week or two which motivates you and continued seeing the weight loss after I started adding foods, such as nuts, back in my diet. I normally avoid eggs, cheese, steak, mayo, ranch dressing, avocados etc when I'm trying to lose weight because they had too much fat but now I'm eating them and still lost the weight.

Side Effects
After the first week I was lightheaded one day from the lack of sugar because prior to the diet I consumed a lot of sugar but I ate and it went away

I used Romaine leaves instead of bread for chicken salad etc so that was helpful but I did miss eating Pizza.

• Side Effects:

Great diet if you have hypoglycemia

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

The South Beach Diet is a great way to lose weight if you have hypoglycemia. This diet consists of three phrases. Phase 1 really focuses on eliminating cravings and regulating your blood sugars. This is one of the reasons I chose this diet. I need to make sure I kept my blood sugar under control. Phase 1 allowed me to get a good start on my weight loss. I felt like the first 14 days of the plan were not hard to get through at all. I felt full the whole time on this diet and had a wide variety of healthy foods to choose from during this phase. During the second phase, I slowly added foods back to my diet. I continued to lose weight (although at a slower pace than I did during the first phase). I continued to be able to control my blood sugar levels. The last phase is a maintenance phase. This is where I did not continue to do well on the diet. I splurged a little too much at times and put some of the weight back on. Overall, I love this diet. I hope that if I choose to use this diet again that I will be more successful during the third phase of the program.

Works well

from Oxford, CT

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

The south beach diet is a good diet. I bought the book and decided to follow the phases in the book. It is a great diet and if you follow it you will lose some weight. Every time I found myself putting weight back on I would return back to the very first phase in the book. The diet really shows you what the right things to eat are and what the right way of working out is. It is really effective if you follow through with the diet. It is not the easiest diet to follow but it is definitely doable. You can also still lose weight on this diet if you cheat a little bit. The south beach diet recipes are pretty good too. There are a lot of vegetables involved in this diet so be prepared for a lot of chewing! I did sometimes feel hungry at times and got very sick of vegetables pretty fast but it is all dependent on the individual and their likes for food. The one downside about this diet is that you automatically gain the weight back once you stop following the rules of the diet.

Use only for 1-2 weeks, not sustainable or realistic

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

I wholehearted recommend avoiding this diet as much as possible. While it gives you a quick boost of weight loss for a few days, it is not realistic to eliminate carbohydrates forever. The weight loss is temporary and comes back as soon as you introduce anything not on the plan (i.e. any carbohydrate where it is healthy or not).

I tried this plan for six weeks with a group of 20 women. It was a miserable six weeks for most of us. Half of the women quit the first week. The rest of us were cranky and lethargic. I have wanted a cupcake more in my life.

I had no energy on the diet and would panic if I consumed more than eight medium sized strawberries in a single day. The large volumes of protein eventually caused severe acid reflux and stomachaches.

It was hard to maintain outside of my home, especially around friends or family. I had to bring my own snacks to gatherings which was embarrassing. This is an awful gimmicky diet. Sure, you can get results for a week or two but not for the rest of the month. I recommend everyone avoid this diet and just take care of themselves instead. It will last longer.

Dropped 5 lbs in 2 weeks. Gained 5 lbs in 3 days after the diet.

Side Effects
Heartburn, acid reflux, headaches, crankiness, irritation, fatigue

The premise of no carbohydrates is easy but actually consuming no carbohydrates is challenging.

• Side Effects:

Works, but it's up to you

from Westchester, IL

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

I have tried a large variety of diets in my life during my youth and the South Beach Diet was the first. This diet makes sense and will help you lose weight, but you must be discipline in your eating habits. The diet starts by getting rid of all sugars, processed carbohydrates, foods with high glycemic ratings, trans fats, and saturated fats. This period is essentially the detoxing phase. You may experience sugar cravings and headaches during the first week. By the second week you will have no desire to eat any sugary products. I'm not saying you will not want to eat processed carbohydrates and sugar, but you will not need them in order to function. The processed carbohydrates will be substituted for whole grains. Whole grains aren't absorbed quickly by the body, which is a great thing and the don't leave you feeling empty after eating them. The final phase of this diet is reintroducing all foods back into your diet. It's up to you to use the tools you learned to make the best decisions going forward. This diet will yield long lasting results, but it's up to you to work within the diet regiment.

• Side Effects:

Great diet to help kick bad habits--quick weight loss

Profile Image

from Davis, CA

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

With the South Beach Diet, I lost 10 pounds in three weeks. However, it wasn't easy. The diet's purpose is to break the dieter of bad habits and teach the dieter how to choose the right foods. It is divided into 3 phases. The first phase is very restrictive and is high in protein and no fruit or other carbs. This was most difficult for me, because I love fruit and I always have wine with dinner--nope no alcohol either. The second phase is better because fruit and wholegrain carbs are allowed. It is still high-protein based. In the third phase, the dieter is left on his/her own. We are supposed to be able to choose for ourselves what food is right for us.

In the first phase, I lost 8 pounds--about two weeks. I lost another four pounds in the second phase, which also lasted two weeks. While in phase three, my weight fluctuates about 5 pounds up and down. But, I haven't gained all the weight back. When I feel that my cravings are returning, I repeat the phases again.

Side Effects
I really had no side effects besides missing my wine and fruit the first week. There was no intestinal issues like with other diets.

I wasn't hungry at all and was quite satisfied. The diet didn't require me to do much more preparations that I normally perform each day for meals.

Easy to understand diet

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

This is one of the easier diets to understand because there are only a few steps. The hardest of them however is the detox step and I never did get used to eliminating certain foods from my life but I can see the advantages in this diet. Also this diet does not promote exercise as much as other diets do. This is more about better choices when you eat. I think this diet would have been much better for me if I had been able to give up bread and potatoes. Those always have been and always will be my downfall.

When you cut out carbohydrates from your intake you are going to lose weight simply because the body burns the stored sugars in your body and nothing replaces it.

Side Effects
The side effects of this diet are the lack of sugars and carbohydrates going into your body. This is a quick fix diet but should not be considered a way of life.

This was one of the easier diets I have ever done. Simply stop eating certain foods and you lose weight.

• Side Effects:

Interesting book with very good recipes

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

I jumped on board the "South Beach" train when this book first came out and it seemed like everyone was following the South Beach Diet. I found this book to be very readable and straightforward. The writing was clear and to the point. I found the information in the book to be useful and relevant to my weight loss goals. I also liked that it had a recipe section with recipes that I would normally make. I made various items using the recipes outlined in the book and found them to be quite delicious and easy to make. Initially, I did lose weight with this diet. I think this diet is best for short term use - at least that is what worked for me. I think anytime you change up how you eat, you will see changes in your body. I felt very good while on this diet and continue to make food using the recipes found in this book.

I think this diet is effective in the short term.

This book was very user friendly and had various recipes to get you started on following the diet. I tried several recipes and found them to be easy to make and quite tasty.

Easy to follow

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

This is a very easy to understand and follow diet. The diet follows 3 phases, the first is a detox of sorts, to get your metabolism reved up, conquer your cravings and reteach your body. This part cuts out sugar and most carbohydrates, however, you can still eat plenty. This jump start lasts 14 days, and they seem to be the hardest, I have found drinking lots of water and staying busy are the best ways to conquer the cravings, it is truly mind over matter. This is a great time fro weight loss, motivating you to push through, phase 2 allows you to add more carbohydrates. You can also consume great South Beach products. I love their chocolate peanut butter meal replacement bars. Phase 3 allows you to add more foods, this is truly not a diet, but a lifestyle modification. By slowly retraining your taste buds, and developing healthy eating patterns, the South Beach diet becomes a way of life, allowing you to keep the weight off!

Not very difficult

Comments about The South Beach Diet:

I tried out the South Beach Diet several years ago, and one thing that I do remember is that it was very easy to get used to. This was one diet that I did not need a lot of time to get adapted to it. There are really two keys to the South Beach Diet. The first is to replace all of the "bad carbs" that you are eating with "good carbs." The second key is choosing to eat "good fats" instead of "bad fats." This diet really opened my eyes to what good carbs and fats are. I never knew that there was a difference. I have kept doing a lot of the tips and tricks given by the South Beach Diet. I like that the plan is relatively simple. The first phase lasts about two weeks and lets you get used to the diet. After that, you begin the second phase, and that lasts for as long as you want. If you want to keep losing weight, you continue phase two. After you are done losing weight, you do phase three for the rest of your life. You never go back to your old way of eating. Overall, this is a very simple diet plan; I would personally recommend it to friends and family.