3.1

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:

Helpful auto insurance for those on limited budgets.

I have always investigated auto insurance policies thoroughly before making the decision to purchase a new policy. I believe that buying insurance, while absolutely necessary, is like betting against yourself and it's my goal to get the most coverage, that is reasonable to have, for the least money. As my current policy approaches expiration, I open a file where I store all the written advertisements that I receive and I make sure that I request quotes from each company and from those that I've noted from TV or radio ads. It's not fun, but over the years I  believe that I've saved enough money that I've paid myself tor the time expended and, perhaps best of all, I've educated myself about the definitions of insurance terms, legal requirements, reasonable requirements, and I've discovered what to REALLY expect from your auto insurance company. Now that I'm taking care of myself and my service dog, Phoebe, on Social Security Disability Insurance alone, it's much more important that I investigate all the possibilities for auto insurance coverage or I might not be able to afford to drive at all. I had delayed requesting the quote from AARP/The Hartford because I assumed that I would have to renew my membership with AARP and that would increase the cost of the insurance because there was no other reason I'd be interested in renewal. However, when I was down to just 2 companies, I called the 800 number and the very friendly and helpful lady informed me that because I lived in Nevada, I would not have to belong to AARP to take advantage of the auto insurance. This was a nice lady that was very easy to understand, had a pleasant sense of humor, and made me feel that my call was of utmost importance to her. I'm sorry, but I have a difficult time getting information when I find myself talking to operators who are actually in India, Pakistan or similar and I waste time struggling to figure out simple things they are trying to ask me or tell me!Once she understood my situation - live on less than $650/month, drive an older van with little to no hope of replacing it, have an excellent driving history of no accidents, no citations, if I were to become involved in an accident and find someone was trying to sue me, there is nothing they can sue me for, and I need to make the smallest monthly payments possible - then she worked up several quotes for me to pick from. I was so pleased that there was really no down payment. The initial payment would be less than twice as much as the monthly payments just to cover the start up costs and the monthly payments were absolutely within my strict budget. I was pleased to find that they were going to be able to protect me from my severe "Swiss Cheese memory" by automatically deducting the payments from my checking account each month. She asked a variety of questions looking for any other discounts that I might qualify for and she was even honest with me when she heard that my service dog was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is often lumped into the group of dogs commonly known as pit bulls. She warned me that I would not be eligible for a discount by purchasing Renter's Insurance from The Hartford because they would not insure me because of my dog's breed.I don't remember how long the process took, but it was a completely pleasant process because of the sales woman's personality and desire to help. I have not had any claims so I can't discuss how that might be handled.  I did have a question as we were completing the paperwork via mail and there were a couple of 800 numbers available to call. Because the phone calls were brief, I don't remember any details, but I do know that I received the information that I needed on the first call and the people I spoke with were again very pleasant and easy to talk with. There have been no problems with the deductions of the payments.I'm not completely familiar with all the benefits that I can expect as my association with AARP/The Hartford continues, but I believe one is that, in some states, there are lowered premiums when certain AARP refresher driving courses are completed. Those courses can even be completed online. I also believe that there is some sort of accident/ticket forgiveness, lower premiums after so many years of coverage, multi-car discounts, and other discounts that I can't remember.My only real complaint about The Hartford is their ridiculous, unfounded prejudice against what is known as the "bully breeds" - American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, and sometimes Mastiffs and Bulldogs. I have owned "pit bulls" for years, both as family pets and as service dogs. Several decades ago they were known as the Great American Family Dog while in England, the Staffie is known as the "Nanny Dog."  These dogs are loyal, gentle giants unless criminals abuse, torture and drug them into becoming dangerous animals. Even then, the number of these dogs who are dangerous are very few compared to what the headlines would like to make people believe. Unfortunately, the reporting is sloppy and careless and when it's discovered that the "dangerous dog" of the current story is not a bully breed, the correction is buried at a later date. These stories are real enough and are indeed horrifying, but the other reality is that the media pumps up the statistics, prints ridiculous myths about this breed (locking jaws, they will always turn mean at some time in their lives, they have been bred only to be killers, etc.), and suggests "cures" for this epidemic that will not really help anyone.My current service dog, Phoebe, is a loving, sweet 2 year old who is tender with cats, adores children, loves other dogs, and horses and is a wonderful partner for me. After I'd had her for about 4 months, my grandsons came to visit and were able to meet her for the first time. My middle grandson can be a bit of a monster and he was 2 years old at the time when he walked up behind her, grabbed her tail, and CHOMP, bit down hard!! I held my breath because I really did not know how Phoebe was going to react to that, but she behaved just as my previous "girls" would have done by looking over her shoulder at him like, "What was that about?"  Then she walked away from him and came and cuddled up with my oldest grandson and me! Now, how many of the little, yappy  dogs would actually behave that well? Everyone of my pit bulls allows kids, adults, or even cats to reach into their food dishes without any kind of upset. Their share their toys and they are much more interested in playing with others than keeping something to themselves.So, to be told that I could not buy a Renter's Insurance policy from The Hartford because of the breed of my service dog in spite of the fact that she is very well behaved and well trained was ridiculous. I'd wager that she is much better behaved than the children in many families. She certainly has more friends and larger fan clubs around town than any two-legged kids that I know of!I certainly suggest that you contact The Hartford for a quote on your auto insurance. If you qualify, go through AARP for the quote. Because I don't know your needs or circumstances, it's impossible to say if they will be the best for you so be sure to get lots of quotes so you can save yourself the most money. Obviously, I do not recommend using The Hartford for homeowner's or renter's insurance.

10+ years loyal customer, they turn their back when you need the

We have been customers of Hartford for over 10 years.  Both with our home and autos.

In Dec 2007 I was hit by a 78 year old lady...Read complete review

In Dec 2007 I was hit by a 78 year old lady that ran a red light.  I was injured and sent to the hospital. Due to my injuries, I was unaware of what was happening at the scene and when the police reports came about there were witness statement and facts left off.

Hartford did nothing to get the straight fact, contact the witnesses or help me in anyway.  They told me it was more cost effective for them to accept a no-fault claim than take the risk of determining fault.  It was clearly the other party's fault, and all that needed to be done was a simple site investigation and get the witnesses statement.

Now, they are denying medical bills and offering no assistance.  I have read up on this company and it looks like this is their business model.  In fact the claims supervisor told me that herself.  That is how they choose to do business and if I did not like ti I could get a lawyer but they like to just take the no-fault stand and do no further work on the case.

With no-fault they hold all the cards and can deny my needed medical care that should have picked up by the party at fault.  of Course why would the other insurance company argue when they are getting of cheaper, their client was not injured.

Research claims handling before when shopping for insurance.  We thought they were a good company, they were not the cheapest...thought we would get satisfactory claims handling at the least.

Avoid this company that will destroy you financially

from Seattle, WA

Comments about The Hartford:

I was covered by Hartford for about 3 years when I moved and notified them of my change of address and somehow my automatic premium payment from my bank account was dropped by Hartford. They ended up cancelling my insurance due to lack of payment without a phone call or a letter . I didn't know that I was without insurance until I called them to inquire about my payment not being deducted from my bank account. I was then considered high risk and have to pay a higher premium for less coverage with another insurance company because Hartford wouldn't cover me after their mistake.

Profit over customer protection

from Portland, or

Comments about The Hartford:

Had a minor incident in a parking lot with a person with a car that was dilapidated, rusted, dented and with a value under $500.00 whose supposed "damage" the hartford was going to pay them just under $200. I was Shocked they would pay Anything as the incident was a hoax but would end up costing me just under $900 over the next 3 years. The hartford profits by Not standing behind their clients. They pay out under $200 - but cost to me just under $900 (in their pockets).
Cancelled and switched to Amica.

Worst claim representative service ever

from Orlando, FL

Comments about The Hartford:

My husband and I have been with The Hartford for 13 years. We've only filed two claims. The first went pretty well, there wasn't another car involved. The second was a disaster. The Hartford claims to have the best claims service. I had an adjuster that professed she wanted to hear my side of the accident, apparently part of their independent investigation, but I quickly learned that they followed The Hartford's claim "protocol" which is to accept whatever the accident report stated and do no further investigation. My accident involved another car making a U-turn, which I've always been told were automatically at fault. I was found liable for not yielding the right away. I chose not to fight the ticket, although in hindsight I wish I had. I thought the claims representative was supposed to be on my side, but I was treated rudely from day one. This claim was not settled until over one year later (because someone in the other vehicle filed a bodily injury claim, which I claimed as fraud.) Nothing I said was ever considered and of course, my premium has soared. Please be aware that they just want to get this "off their plate", settle and then charge you a higher premium. They will not listen to you.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Excessive rate increase!

from Keller, TX

Comments about The Hartford:

Rate increase almost 30%. Reason is because of the excessive amout if claims during the tornado season. Hartford spent so much paying claims that every policyholder got a rate increase to replenish their funds.

Don't say you weren't informed!!!

from Portland, OR

Comments about The Hartford:

Just one precaution if you find yourself snookered by this Class A scammer. Under Under no circumstances have an accident, or, if you do, prepare your auto insurance budget to experience a two fold premium increase because you are now accident prone. In my case, it seems they were attempting to have me pay back every cent paid out in benefits by this premium increase. Advice, look around for a better policy and justly consider AARP' anti-senior and not giving a rip about who they endorse or who they rip off!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Deceptive online guarantee practices!!!

from orlando fl

Comments about The Hartford:

Would not honor a email received from Hartford for a GUARANTEE online premium. Very deceptive practice to say you guarantee and then do not honor with no changes in coverage or deductions on policy. Had a reference # which could not be found.Beware of their guarantee!!!

I can't give less stars

from Portland oregon

Comments about The Hartford:

I was a passenger in a car struck by their insured ,I was honest & have been doing my due diligence their agent/representative has been dishonest & unpleasant ,not only that but the fill in person while they were away was also dishonest,in knowing how dishonest they are I can only hope they will get caught & punished for their business ethics & tactics as I am now considering getting a lawyer ferling that they have forced this by their unethical actions & only hope beyond my case that they are punished legally for their unprofessionall manner ,this manner being just this side of criminal @ the least imo ,hope their company gets whats really due to them,due to the cost to me & time it's going to take due to them I will be adking & fighting for double the amount I origionally was going to ask & believe it will be fairly easy to get ,all considered,I'm sure in most cases their criminal "or bear criminal" activity helps them save lots of money however in my case unless things are expedited very rapidly their costs will increase by double @ least

Be careful of quotes.

from Torrington, WY

Comments about The Hartford:

I received a quote from AARP for Hartford policies on my home, auto and motor home. I said go but when the policies came via email the home was not included. I refused to sign for the auto and motor home because by not getting coverage for all together the over all premium costs would be over my former insurance company's increased premiums. I was shopping for lower rates because with no expected increase in Social Security and VA benefits my budget was in trouble.

Hartford entered one day of coverage in spite of my not having made any finale agreement. I was still covered by my old policies and had no reason to get an unsatisfactory insurance arrangement. The entry of one day coverage for my auto in the insurance system caused problems getting coverage from any other company.

A dirty trick. I ended up having to go back to my former insurance company.

Just Another Greedy Insuracne Company

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about The Hartford:

I have been with the Hartford for 15 years I had a problem with a payment going through due to my Debit card being replaced with a new card I paid it on the 2nd of February. I was not aware that the old Card number was on the site the payment was not honored due to the change. My policy was canceled immediately because of this misunderstanding when I called the Hartford on the 19th of February to Re-instate after I got a letter from them dated February 11th They would not Re-instate unless I paid the full balance for the whole year of close to $500.00 I asked if I could make a payment or even half of the amount they said no because I did not contact them soon enough. Remember the letter was dated the 11th of February which means it still needed to be mailed so the 13thor 14th it would have arrived. So 7 days or under is the time frame that you are supposed to contact them I guess. I have never had an accident or any problems always paid my bill, again customer 15 years. lucky I had a credit card or else I would have not been able to reinstate the policy and been left without insurance. This is totally unreasonable as I started with the policy because of AARP thus Hartford deals with older people that may not be able to contact them in the time frame of under a week due to illness or family illness plus most older people are on a fixed income and may not be able to pay the whole year off. I don't know what happened with this company they used to be caring but not any more they are now nothing more than another greedy insurance company that cares more for profit then for people needless to say after this I will not be continuing with the Hartford and will not recommend anyone else to do business with them.

P.O.ed

from Avon Park, FL

Comments about The Hartford:

Recently applied for auto insurance, due to quote and service. Said Good-bye when they told me I had to pay $20/mo in addition for an accident in which another driver fell asleep at the wheel and rear-ended me. I was not in fault in anyway. I guess I do not understand it. The only reason I can think of is that I was driving a vehicle. If I did not drive, I would not need insurance. Cannot see the logic.