2.9

2.9

Pros

Cons

They are chaep

I called around to many insurance companies. I also checked for quotes online. I finally found that the General was the cheapest for me. THey have alot of different policies to offer. It depends on your driving record. If you have had any accidents or tickets. What kind of license you have. How many drivers are on the policy. They are very friendly people. I could print my insurance cards out in minutes. I would highy recommend this company to others. I will continue to use them until I move out of state if I can carry it over with me to Georgia I will. That is how well I like this company. I have never had insurance through a company that all of the staff members are as helpful as they can be. They try to make sure that you get that policy that you are interested in and that can save you the most money. I would not change my policy unless I can find a cheaper company and the only reason that is because money is so tight right now. If I can save a penny or 2 then that is what I will try to do.

I'm glad I'm not a customer.

Let me start by saying, I am not a Direct General Insurance customer.  My only experience comes from trying to file a claim with the company after I was rear-ended by one of...Read complete review

Let me start by saying, I am not a Direct General Insurance customer.  My only experience comes from trying to file a claim with the company after I was rear-ended by one of their customers.

The elderly male that rear-ended me was very nice and cooperative.  We filed the police report and went on our way.  If he called his insurance company to file a claim, they never followed through with it.  When I called to file a claim, they refused to take my information because I was not a customer.  I had to go through **my **insurance company to get the claim filed.  It took almost three weeks for Direct General to send out an adjuster, then another two weeks to get their estimate.  After I got the estimate, they quoted way below after-market prices for the repairs that needed to be made.  I finally had to get the body shop to call Direct General and get everything situated with the repairs, as the insurance agent would not return any of my calls.

Direct General would not provide a rental car, while repairs were being done, even though I explained to them that I was pregnant and scheduled to deliver that week.  I finally had to talk to the agent's supervisor and provide copies of the phone calls, all recorded, to get a rental car.  The insurance company then put a stop payment on the check they mailed to pay for the rental car.  I had to pay for it out of pocket and was never reimbursed.

My baby and myself made it home from the hospital just fine, got my car back the day after we came home, and I finally just ate the cost of the rental car.  It had already been so much of a hassle, I just wanted to enjoy my son!

Their prices aren't worth the hassle

from Westchester, IL

Comments about The General:

I signed up for the General Insurance with my first car. I was just looking for the cheapest thing available that met the minimum requirements to drive my car. After looking around at other companies I decided to go with the General's quote of $72 a month. I set up automatic withdrawal to ensure that I wouldn't miss a payment and have my insurance lapse. Everything was going smoothly for months until I received an overdraft fee from my bank. I went over all of my transactions and noticed that I was charged twice $72 for insurance. I called up the General and my call was transferred a total of 5 times in a 20 minute time span. I finally got to some one that was able to help me and got refunded the extra charges. Two months later I received a letter stating that I was past due on my insurance, which wasn't possible because the payments were taken out of my account. After several conversations and faxed bank documents they corrected the error. A year went by without any problems until I was checking my bank statement and noticed I was being charged $136 a month for insurance. I had never been in an accident and all my payments were on time. I called to ask about the rate increase and after speaking with multiple representatives they couldn't give me a sufficient explanation. I decided to switch providers because it become too much of a aggravation to continue our relationship.

Low Rates But Questionable Coverage

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about The General:

When I was switching from one insurance company to another I needed to have a standby company to provide coverage for two vehicles. I had seen commercials for The General on television numerous times and called to find out how much coverage would be. In hindsight it would have been a lot easier to go online and get one of their anonymous quotes that they promote in their television commercials.

I didn't tell them that I only needed or wanted coverage for a month because I didn't know if that would cause problems or if my quote / rate would be higher. I could have probably skipped insuring one of the SUV's but I knew that if I did that chances are something would end up happening to it.

I was able to set up the insurance plan that I wanted with them, pay the initial payment and get the paperwork emailed to me to show proof of insurance. When I finalized my insurance plan with the new company I contacted The General and told them that I no longer needed their insurance. I did get a little bit of a hard sell on keeping the policy but I made it clear that I went with another insurance company because of the price and coverage options.

I made sure to check my credit card statement to make sure that I wasn't bill for an additional month but still continue to get a plethora of junk mail and advertising from them. If all you want or need is basic coverage or if your quotes from other companies have been on the high side, The General is worth checking out but you really need to know what is going to be covered with your policy if you decide to go with them.

Horrible.

from Kansas

Comments about The General:

I only had The General as my car insurance provider for a brief period of time. When I was searching online for car insurance they ended up being the cheapest. It was very easy to choose my plan and sign up with them. What they did not tell me was that price would jump after 30 days. I even went back and reread everything and there was nothing stating that would happen. I find their business practices to be very sneaky. I had to contact customer service a few times and they were always rude, in my opinion.

Do NOT bother with this company.

Customer Service
I called customer service to inquire about my bill suddenly jumping. The first woman I spoke to had no answers for me and finally transferred me to another lady. After having to explain myself again the lady became very short with me. She kept sighing at me! It turns out it was a problem on their part. I had another bad customer service experience when I tried to cancel my insurance with them. They were NOT happy I was switching providers and the lady would not give me a confirmation number when I asked.

Ok Insurance Company

Comments about The General:

I had The General for almost five years, until one day I got my renewal in the mail for $150 a month for one vehicle, and was previously only paying $68 a month. I did have one no fault accident during my time with them and this was way before the payment hike and my experience was terrible. It took them almost three months to process my claim. The switched my insurance investigator halfway through the claim process, which made the whole situation even worse. Once the claim was finalized I had my and the check for my wrecked vehicle was overnighted, so I was able to go in the next day and get a new car. In the long run their cheaper insurance rates were not worth the hassle.

Granted in the beginning everything was great. I saw the commercial on television and thought why not give it a try. It was ok while it lasted, but I eventually had to move on.

Customer Service
Good customer service really depended on what day who you spoke with. Some were very good, while others were just very rude.

Available Plans
They mainly offer automobile and home owners insurance.

Poor Service and High Rates

Comments about The General:

I used the General Insurance briefly when I purchased my new car. I was at the dealership on a Saturday afternoon at the end of the month. The dealership pushed me into getting an insurance policy that day so we could close the deal that day and I would take the car home. The quote from The General seemed high, but they could issue the policy over the phone and fax proof of insurance to the dealership. I still wanted to wait to get some quotes on my own, but the dealership offered to pay my first months premium to get it started so I accepted. Several days later I received my paperwork in the mail and I had the bare minimum coverage with a high deductible. I tried calling the customer service number to see if they could do anything or re-run the numbers because I had no violations on my record and no reason for my insurance to be that high, but the agent I spoke to on the phone was hard to understand and they just kept telling me it is what it is and when I asked for a supervisor my call was disconnected. I could only imagine what it would be like if I ever had to file a claim. I didn't wait for the month to run out, I cancelled my policy as soon as I could. I will not deal with them again.

Customer Service
I can understand if there's nothing that can be done to help someone, but at least be polite and their representative was the exact opposite and got an attitude because I said I was having a problem understanding her. Then my call was disconnected. My next call was to cancel and at that point they wanted to talk to me, but it was too little too late.

Available Plans
I was not offered anything as far as additional plans. I was just told what my premium was. So if they have additional plans, I wouldn't know because nothing else was ever offered.

Very Low and Affordable!

Comments about The General:

I have the tagline to this insurance commercial playing in my head, as I type (lol). It was hard for me to pass up an opportunity for affordable insurance, especially with a great catchline. Also, I was tired of paying Geico upwards of $300 a month for a vehicle that I had no accidents in. So I went online, got a quote ($60 down, and $80/month), and I was amazed by the decrease in my monthly bill for auto insurance. I was able to get instant proof of my policy, and it's been great ever since.

Customer Service
I never had any issues with contacting the company or getting help with related issues, as far as the coverage or any questions/concern. They are helpful, and I, overall, think this is a great company to have, and stick with for years to come!

Available Plans
I think, with all the other plans that is out there, and with the raging prices for a simple auto insurance plan, this is definitely one to go with, as I highly recommend them for lowest affordable prices.

• Available Plans:

Warning! If you cancel they will take your money anyways.

Comments about The General:

Asked for state minimum insurance with an sr22. Was given a good quote and signed up online on the 25th of october. Asked about the sr22 on the 29th of october and was told my policy did not include one and it would cost $14 more per month if I got an sr22 (which costs a one time fee of $10 with anyone else.) I told them to cancel right away, they didn't cancel until the 1st of november and they charged me for the full month.

So I had to pay for the full month for 4 or 7 days of coverage. Depending on if you count when I asked them to cancel or when they did.

VERY poor customer service. Was told several different stories by several different employees about why they were keeping my money and what the charges were for cancellation. Finally I talked to a supervisor and she said that they should have charged me more than they did and basically told me they were keeping my money and I couldn't do anything about it.

DO NOT waste your time and money here. I really wish I had not.

• Available Plans:

Easy to understand...easy to purchase .

Comments about The General:

The online site is very easy to navigate and very easy to buy auto insurance in very little time.

Customer Service
Very helpful when I had a question that needed a more in depth answer than what I had found on on the website.

Available Plans
The plans they offered were gave me the needed coverage at a price I could afford.

Inefficient and Rude Customer Service

Comments about The General:

I encounter the General through a claim my dad made from being involved in a collision with one of their insured. The first time I called to inquire the status of the claim, the adjuster (Christopher Chumley) answered that he was waiting for the police report. I called the police department to see how long it will take before the report is available, they said 1 month. I waited one month and called the police department to check the report's availability, and it was available. I e-mailed the General to check the claim's status, the adjuster continues to tell me he was waiting for the report. I e-mailed him back telling him the police informed me that it is available. He didn't reply. My agent had to purchase a copy of the report and e-mailed it to the adjuster, and still we didn't get a reply indicating receipt for days. We e-mailed again telling him will file a complaint with the state's insurance department, and we received a reply within minutes. He sent my home a letter of denial, misspelled my dad's name and misspelled words in his letter. I e-mailed back inquiring the reason for denial. He did not reply to me. He would not pick up my call. I had to ask my agent to e-mail him to find out the reason. I am frustrated with this company for their inefficient and unprofessional customer service or lack there of.

Go with The General Insurance Company and you can't go wrong

from Oakwood Vlg., OH

Comments about The General:

This is the best car insurance company that I've ever used!I learned about this insurance from television commercials. Then one day talking with my ex-husband I learned that he uses this car insurance. I hate to give him credit , but he's both smart and cheap. I checked The General Insurance company out, and plan to stay with them for the duration.

Customer Service
The customer service is great. You don't have to wait a long time to get a live representative on the phone to speak with or push a lot of prompt buttons. Every time that I have had to call in , the representatives that I have spoke with are very knowledgeable and courteous and the overall tone is never a run around or vague answers , they are very detailed and cover all basis.

Available Plans
The available plan options are wonderful and very applicable. Needless to say as far as a comparison to other car insurance companies their monthly fees are reasonable and wonderfully cheaper than most.