2.5

2.5

Pros

Cons

Results Fast in a Week

I needed to loose a few pounds for a beach trip last summer and didn't know exactly how I was going to accomplish this. I checked out some short term weight loss "diets" and I chose to go with the Cabbage Soup Diet for the simple fact that this plan requires you to eat real foods. I didn't want to starve myself and I didn't want to just eat cereal for days. There is a 7 Day Plan where you eat specific foods that are outlined for you on certain days. For instance the first day I started this program Day One required that I eat ONLY fruit (except bananas) and soup. I could drink unsweetened tea, cranberry juice and water. I love fruits anyway so I did not have any problems following the protocol. Day Two was vegetable day when you can eat ALL the veggies you want but on this day you cannot eat any fruits but can have soup with the vegetables. Progresso Soup was my go to soup on this diet plan and what is so good about this diet is, there's no limit to the amount you can eat. I literally stuffed myself and was following the rules. You continue the diet each day eating what is recommended and by the end of the week, I had lost 7 pounds and was thrilled with myself. This is not just fruits and vegetables, one day meats are introduced and on another brown rice. You do eat a variety of foods in the week but its only on a certain day. This diet is recommended for short term use and can be used with a 2 week break in between. I highly recommend this diet for those of you who suffer with constipation, this diet alone can help with this issue. I occasionally use this diet because I feel like it cleanses my body and I feel healthier. If you can withstand eating certain foods on certain days, and eating as much as you want, then try this diet out.

I actually lost weight without exercising. I didn't do anything extra, but follow this diet and I lost weight.

Side Effects
Helps you go to the bathroom. No true side effects.

Following a strict diet can be hard, set your mind to it before you start.

I lost weight on The Soup Diet, but it all came back.

I've tried the Cabbage Soup Diet on 3 occasions. Each time I lost about 8 pounds in the week, but it did not stay off. It's a good kickstart to loosing weight though if your willing to continue with a heathier eating plan and exersise afterwards. I used it mainly before a vacation, so naturally as soon as I went away I started eating (& drinking) fattening things.

The diet is very strict and I followed it without cheating. I wasn't ever really hungry; you can eat as much soup as you want. I did crave things though - like carbs and meat. The last couple of days you are allowed meat so I always told myself I could hold out a few more days, and I did. The biggest problem is how sick you get of eating the soup! By the end of the week you never want to see cabbage soup again!!!

I cannot stop pooping; afraid to go out as I might poop my pants

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

I like all the nutrients I'm getting with this diet, but my system cannot tolerate all the fiber, especially the tomatoes. I have been pooping so much my behind is sore and I don't want to leave the house because I'm honestly afraid of a pooping accident. Never had bowels this loose and uncontrollable before and feel the diet is just not the one for me.

Side Effects
Uncontrollable bowel movements that are too soft (pudding like) and a mess to clean up after.

Don't Do It!

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

I wouldn't advise anyone to do this diet, it seems to work, but it's only very temporary. First off, you aren't going to be getting the calories you need at all! It's a very unhealthy way to drastically lose weight. But, the truth is the weight you lose by doing the cabbage soup diet does not last at all. Pretty much as soon as you go back to eating your regular diet you're going to gain most likely all of the weight back. Reason being, you are essentially starving yourself when on this diet and that causes you to lose the weight in the first place, but then when you give your body what it truly needs again, it holds on to every single bit of it causing you to gain weight back all over again. You will be left feeling sluggish, lightheaded, and just bad all around after a few days on this diet and as I had already stated, it will come back on.

Not effective long term at all, it does nothing but starve your body of what it needs for a week.

Side Effects
You will feel so sluggish, lightheaded, and hungry! It's totally not worth it to lose a few pounds that will come running back!

All you do is make and eat the soup, no hard work or exercise needed, which is why it doesn't stick!

• Side Effects:

Oh cabbage soup diet...I dislike you.

from Kansas

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

Excuse me if I am gagging at the memory of trying this diet, while I write this review. I've tried every fad diet known to man. I know the fad diets aren't healthy and generally not very effective, that hasn't stopped me anyway. So basically you make this horrid soup and live off of it for 10 days. This is how it progressed for me:

Day 1: Hmm not too bad! This may be good.
Day 2: Still not bad, neat! [OH GOD I NEED A BATHROOM NOW]
Day 3: Oh more soup, ah too bad. [After stocking up on toilet paper...]
Day 4: I'm kind of tired of this soup.
Day 5: Ugh the smell of this stuff is horrible.
Day 6: Seriously this stuff is disgusting. GAG.
Day 7: I. Can't. Do. This.
Day 8: I'm never having cabbage again as long as I live. Maybe I won't have any type of soup ever again either.
Day 9: I QUIT.

So, yep that's basically it. It's really not bad at first, then progresses to where the smell of the soup just makes you want to gag. Your bowels are going to be very angry at you. Very. Angry. YES you lose weight. And YES you will gain it back if you just resume bad eating habits right when you finish the diet. Only way to keep the weight off is to transition to a healthy diet following the 10 days on the Cabbage Soup Diet.

PS. I haven't eaten cabbage of any sort since then.

lost a few pounds

from Ellerslie GA

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

I have previously in the past tried this Cabbage Soup Diet and it worked ok for me but I only lost a few pounds. First of all on this diet i basically had to eat nothing but Cabbage Soup. So for the first thing I did not like about this Cabbage Soup Diet was that all I could eat was cabbage soup which is ok for some of the time but not all of the time. At first the diet worked good for me because the cabbage soup is really good and I was able to eat it for a few weeks before I grew tired of it and then I started eating other things. Basically it is another deprivation diet to where you have to give up almost everything and therefore are destined to fail. Second of all it never truly filled me up for long. Once I ate the serving of soup within an hour I was hungry again. This diet was ok as I did lose a few pounds but if I did not exercise as well as follow this diet I am not sure if I would have lost the weight. One thing that is good about the Cabbage Soup Diet is that it is really affordable and cheap to make. I mean how expensive can cabbage be right? I would recommend that anyone try this diet as it may work for you but it did not work for me in the long run as I grew very tired of it in a short period of time.

• Side Effects:

By the name I thought it was a joke, kinda, well not really!

from Birmingham, Al

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

Hey if you are looking for a quick fix well my friends you have found it..With this diet you will lose about 10 pounds the first week. But expect to gain it all back when you start back to eating normal! So what is the benefit? I guess if you need to lose a few extra pounds for a special occasion, hey you are in luck.

Well effectiveness? Let me think, it does make you lose the weight, but you will starve. Living on cabbage soup for at least 2 meals a day isn't easy. Any you''ll be just a lot cranky. This diet was made for those who want to lose weight quickly and it does that, for sure.

Side Effects
Oh the side effective that is the hardest to live with is the hunger and it will happen. You aren't taking in more than 1000 calories a day and that just isn't enough.

Just boil up some cabbage and dig in! Soups on! But remember you have to make yourself eat this stuff so be careful it is not an easy thing to do

Great ... If you like Cabbage

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

I like soup, so I thought I would give the cabbage soup diet a try. I thought "a diet that I can eat as much as I want - and lose weight! Why not?" However, the cabbage soup diet can be summarized in about 2 words - bland, gross, and monotonous. It is bland because you don't want to add salt - after all - you're on a diet. And how flavorful is cabbage? Not very. Secondly, it's gross only because you get so sick of eating it. You end up not eating so much because I you simply don't want any. You can add it some fruits now and then which help curb some cravings. But you crave solid foods, not liquids. You want some carbs and meat by day two. It becomes monotonous because you get sick of eating the same thing over and over and over. Overall, I only stuck to it for about six days before calling the local pizza shop and ordering a large cheese pizza. In that six days, I lost about 7 pounds, so I can't say the diet is ineffective.

Good soup!

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

The Cabbage Soup Diet is a little more than just eating plain cabbage soup every single day, but not all that much more. I liked that there are several ingredients in the soup instead of it only being cabbage and water or something. I was surprised by how much I liked the taste of the soup.

I lost a lot of weight quickly with The Cabbage Soup Diet, but I could only handle it for about a week before I just got tired of eating it all of the time.

Side Effects
The Cabbage Soup Diet is an extreme diet and I wouldn't suggest using it long-term. After a few days, I started getting a bit of a stomachache. By the end of the week that I had committed to using it, I was almost nauseated by the thought of eating any more soup, let alone cabbage soup.

The Cabbage Soup Diet is a diet that is extremely easy to use. All I had to do was make sure to buy the right ingredients and throw them together in a pot. Some of the ingredients were hard for me to find.

Results Fast in a Week

from Virginia

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

Side Effects
Helps you go to the bathroom. No true side effects.

Following a strict diet can be hard, set your mind to it before you start.

Did not work

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

I tried the Cabbage Soup Diet a few years ago; simply put, it did not work at all for me. I lost about five pounds within the first week when I ate exactly what is recommended, but when I began eating like normal again, the weight went back on immediately. The weight that you typically lose on the Cabbage Soup Diet is just water weight. I did not like the limit of food that I was given when I was on the diet. Plus, it was really confusing for me to keep up with the changing types of food I was allowed to eat every day. Some days I could eat fruit and then other days I had to just eat vegetables. I also really like meat, and this diet really limits the amount of meat that you eat. The dominant portion of food that you can eat while on this diet rests in the name. You have to eat cabbage soup around two or three times a day. I found it was hard to combine exercise with this diet because I had no energy due to the low amount of calories. Overall, I would not recommend this diet to my friends or family.

• Side Effects:

The worst diet I have ever seen or been on

from north augusta sc

Comments about The Cabbage Soup Diet:

I was curious to see what this diet was about, and was I ever surprised! I tried this diet for a few days because I was curious as a Registered Dietitian. The diet excludes whole food groups, which is the first major issue. It consists of cabbage soup, vegetables, fruit, and introducing meat at the end of the seven days. I did not lose any weight on the diet, but I only tried it for three days. I was tempted to cheat on the diet the whole time that I was on it, because the food choices are limited. I actually gained weight on the diet, because I over-ate after the three days! I also had some cramping when I was on the diet, because of the amount of cabbage that the diet suggests. Stay far away from this diet. The bathroom will thank you, and so will your body.

Short term weight loss, but not for life

Side Effects
You will feel hungry, and may have cramping.

I suppose it is easy to follow, but too many restrictions