3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

• Side Effects:

Carb addicts are usually in denial......

I have tried most diet programs with limited success and usually weight gain after the program gets stale....I always wondered why when eating the "right things" according to the food pyramid- whole grains etc., the weight loss was so sluggish.  I also wondered why the medical profession was so adamant against the Atkins program, so I started reading and doing research, and discovered that most successful weightloss programs have their core values and rules adjusted from the original Atkins.   They no longer use words like low carb, or carb free, but now it is the glycemic index (which is sugar's impact on your endocrine system, and sugar is carbs, whatever form the sugar might take)  I learned several things while doing Atkins...first of all, most of us think of carbs only in terms of bread, pasta, cake-the obvious stuff.  We don't realize that a sugar impact, or carbs, can come from vegetables and fruit as well....We don't realize how much sugar we are actually eating.  We may eliminate the white stuff in the sugar bowl, but still are getting lots of it in other food sources.  South Beach, Rosedale, and even Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig have appropriated most of their menu balance from Atkins principles.  It not only helps you loose weight at a fairly consistent pace, but you will notice your appetite slacking off after about week two.  You won't be snacking as much, and will suddenly just realize that you haven't been having your evening munchies in front of the tube-and you don't miss it either.  You are eating food that is less pre-prepared which is probably a good thing all the way around, because the more you fuss with food, the less nutrition it has and the more carbs (sugars) have been added to it.  You learn to read labels for sneaky hidden carbs like corn syrup, corn solids, fructose, sucrose, and a host of other things that translate into carbs-basically if it ends in "ose" you probably don't want it in your food.  I found that I became more energetic, and people actually complimented my appearance, not just weight loss.   I won't kid you, the first three weeks are grueling, because we are all so carb addicted and don't realize it.  By day three, you want to mug your child for their Cheerios (and you don't even like breakfast)  You have these panic thoughts about going through life without sandwiches (but they are a fairly recent development culturally)  You do have to change the way you look at food and combinations of food, but it gets easier as you go along, and the weight loss keeps you going.  Atkins is also a great starting point, and you can transition to South Beach or one of the related programs that aren't quite so restrictive.   And Atkins doesn't base everything on you spending half your life on a treadmill or in the gym to accomplish your weight loss goals.  There is an exercise component, but it won't kill you.  Despite the negative backlash from the medical community...the more I read, the more I research, the more I experience....the more sense Dr. Atkins makes....We have higher obesity issues and higher diabetes issues than ever before with people following the food pyramid-hmmmm what is wrong with this picture...Oh yeah, and by the way, you aren't saying goodbye to bread and pasta for eternity-that is a mistaken notion.  You are merely learning how to put it in its proper place and which bread and pasta choices are best for you and in what quantity.   But first, you have to go through Detox, and force your system not to crave it in the huge quantities that we all usually eat...that is why the first three weeks is tough-you are in dry out, rehab, and the substance you have been abusing is carbohydrates.....anyway, read the WHOLE book before starting the program....you were never meant to say no to healthy veggies and fruit forever, but learn to put them in perspective by how much sugar they carry...relative to fiber

The hospital ordered me OFF the Atkins Diet. My story.

Where to begin? Let me just say that my experience is probably unlike anyone else's on the **Atkins Diet**. But this is my story of what can happen when you follow this...Read complete review

Where to begin? Let me just say that my experience is probably unlike anyone else's on the **Atkins Diet**. But this is my story of what can happen when you follow this diet.

**My Story
**Several years ago, before my thyroid problem was discovered and treated, I gained 20 pounds seemingly out of the blue. I freaked because I have always been thin and decided to try the Atkins Diet. I bought the book and read it from cover to cover and I got some audio tapes as well which explained it all.

The premise behind the **Atkins Diet **is to eat low carb, high protein meals with little or no sugar and a large (for normal eaters) amount of fat. Carbs, said Atkins, were what made us fat.

The first two week phase is brutal. You can't eat anything with sugar in it - even fruit. You must limit your carb intake very severely. This is so that your body can enter a state called *ketosis*. This means that, instead of burning sugar for energy, it is burning fat. My son once was on a similar - but much stricter diet - for seizures and it was darn rough. But it cured him.

I entered ketosis within a few days and, then I was slowly able to add a few more carbs (No bread or potatoes or rice or anything like that though) into my diet. My diet consisted of a lot of meat, cheese, bacon, tuna, eggs, and even sausage. I had small amounts of fruits and vegetables and a considerable amount of fat. However, because I was burning fat, I could afford to eat more of it. Plus, Atkins claimed that fat wasn't the heart killer that people thought it was.

I must say that this was before Atkins died and the diet became a bit more refined. When I was on the diet, I was encouraged to eat butter, mayo, and fat in any amount I wanted. Now, I understand, that is not encouraged.

I felt fine for five weeks. I had energy and I loved eating things like bacon and eggs that I rarely ate before.

I was in ketosis since I checked (with keto sticks) every day. I was doing something great for my body! I thought.

But the weight wasn't coming off. I didn't lose much at all during the first two weeks when most people have a significant drop. In fact, I lost very little. But I did feel good.

Then I started to feel funny. My heart was acting wacky. It would beat very fast for no reason and feel like a fish flipping. I had trouble sleeping. I had headaches. I was constipated all the time (lack of fiber). I did take all the recommended vitamins and did everything 100% by the book.

I think most people cheat here and there and that may be a saving grace. I didn't cheat AT ALL. I never touched a sweet, never ate more than a couple of grapes or a few slices of an orange, and I stayed away from all the "white foods" like rice, breads, potatoes, and the like.

One night, I woke up in distress. My heart was beating so fast and so hard and I was sweating and essentially felt very, very ill. My husband took me to the ER where they discovered I was practically bottomed out of potassium and magnesium, minerals you need to stay alive and that regulate your heart. My blood work was a mess.

I was given two huge potassium pills, two magnesium pills and ... orange juice. I freaked! I couldn't drink THAT! That had way too much sugar. I would be wrecking my diet!

That is when I was told I was to get OFF the diet, east sensibly, and watch my calories and fat. I was ordered off the **Atkins Diet**!

The orange juice went down smooth. I left the hospital eventually and got a piece of pizza.

I immediately went on Weight Watchers, dropped the weight and have been at 122-124 pounds ever since.

For me, the **Atkins Diet **was just not right. It was too severe, too much of a shock to my system, too...something. All I know is my heart is A-OK now but I have had to take potassium ever since.

I don't discourage the **Atkins Diet **but I do encourage a bit of moderation. Don't go crazy. If you feel weak or not right, see if a bit of natural sugar (orange juice) makes you feel better. Have your cholesterol taken and have the doctor check your electrolytes.

Cutting carbs is not a bad thing. But going to extremes is. I believe that the **Atkins Diet **is too extreme. There are versions of the diet (I believe the South Beach Diet is one) that are based on Atkins' principles but are less severe.

If this diet works for you, great. But if you feel funny or weak, please get checked out. We all react differently to things and it's not worth getting sick to lose weight. You can do it in a different healthy way if the Atkins way doesn't work for you.

**Conclusion**

I obviously had a one star experience on this diet but will give it 2 stars. I feel it is too severe and that most people on it know this and adjust their eating accordingly.

Good luck with any weight loss program! For me, it's eating sensibly, keeping bad fats down, and trying to limit the junk I eat. It seems to be working as I haven't gained an ounce in years. :)

Thanks for reading and considering my point of view. And, if you are on Atkins, I wish you success and health!

Tough but worth it...so far.

from Round Rock, TX

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

This is the second time I have tried the Atkins diet. The first time, I was not really that on board with it but made it through induction and into phase 2. I lost 14 pounds in the first two weeks...1 Pound a day. This time, my husband and I are participating to jump start our weight loss. We are doing it as a kind of detox. Today is day 9 of induction and we have each lost a pound a day so far. We are sticking pretty closely to the instructions though we are not counting our carbs very well. That is mostly because we are not getting the entire 20 carbs a day. It is very tough but if basically boils down to eating healthy. We are having at least one salad a day with mostly spinach, meat, tomato, egg and cheese. We are using avocado and cilantro to create a creamy dressing for them. We are enjoying using the app to find recipes and that has helped break up the monotony during this second week. We have found a few recipes to try. We also spent an arm and two legs on some of the shakes and snack/meal bars. The dark chocolate coconut almond bar is delicious...for a diet food. We are also doing little things like using ground turkey and turkey bacon instead of real bacon and beef. Bottom line is I would recommend this to someone who needs to jump start their weight loss journey, Take it slow and don't weigh yourself all the time. I would advise you to check with your doctor before starting this (or any diet) to make sure you are healthy. Also, if you do not exercise, you WILL hit a plateau and get discouraged. Good Luck!

Not for me!

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

As a person who has tried a lot of diets, I read the Atkins book to see what I would be getting myself into. The idea of Atkins is that instead of burning carbohydrates for energy your body will burn fat. The key to that is that depriving your body of the carbohydrates, so there is no option. As you level out and find the area where you want your weight loss you begin to reintroduce some carbohydrates (fruits and such). For me, as a nurse, the Atkins diet just is not something I can get behind. The principals are too difficult and it is to easy to get yourself off track. I do however have a family member who swears by Atkins, and has for about twelve years now. On the diet your weight will yo-yo up and down a bit, but after rereading the Atkins book and getting back on track, it is quick to come off. Atkins requires more will power than I am willing to put in, and on top of that a potentially dangerous play with your metabolics. I'll pass thank you.

• Side Effects:

This diet is bad for your body!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

I understand the thought behind this diet, but in my opinion it is crazy. I will say that you will lose weight at first. You can actually lose a lot of weight at first. My problem is that your body gets used to doing things a certain way and then when you go back to eating anything off of the diet path your body doesn't know what to do. It becomes a cycle of losing a bunch of weight, but then gaining back more than what you lost in the first place. I would never do this again. It's not healthy to have a diet packed full of meat. It's not good for your heart and health. I know other people that decided to quit this diet as well. There are many other diets out there.

It is effective at first, but then you end up gaining it all back and then some. This is not just my experience.

Side Effects
I felt more tired at times. I also found myself getting more headaches. I also had to deal with constipation.

There is a big problem with only being able to eat certain types of foods. Unless you are doing all of your cooking at home it could be an issue.

• Side Effects:

This works but it is not very sustainable.

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

The basic essence of this diet is to cut the carbohydrates and mostly focus on eating protein. I tried this because some of my friends had some effect with this diet. I tried for about three weeks and lost five pounds. What I liked about this diet was that compared to others, I didn't feel that hungry while I was doing it. But because you eat so little carbohydrates, I think your brain function gets slower. This was a big problem for me because I have a job where I need to constantly use my brain. And it is very difficult to sustain the weight lost because once you start back on the carbohydrates, the weight comes back as well.

You do see a significant weight loss because you cut a lot of the carbohydrates but the sustainability of the weight loss is questionable.

Side Effects
Your brains starts functioning slower than normal. I think the brain need carbohydrates to function well.

This is an easier diet than most because you don't feel as hungry while you are doing it.

Ineffective Diet

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

Unfortunately, the Atkins diet is just a bit too unrealistic for the general population. Therefore, since it is not very easily applicable, it is ineffective for most people. Eliminating or greatly reducing carbohydrates is exceptionally difficult for most people because many of us seem to follow a typically carb-dominated diet and have great appreciation for the flavor and energy-boosting abilities of carbohydrates. Personally, when following the Atkins diet, I was always feeling like I did not have enough to eat and did not have nearly enough energy, which in turn did not motivate me to do any exercise, which of course ultimately led to an unsuccessful diet as a whole. Singling out carbohydrates as evil, which the Atkins diet seems to suggest, is not the best diet advice to follow and will not yield the results you are seeking, which is a slimmer waistline and healthier body. I was disappointed and unimpressed by the Atkins diet.

Short Term Rewards but not as Many Long Term Benefits

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

Lost a decent bit of weight on this diet to begin with and nice to be able to eat a lot of the meats I love. But in the long term not enough results to justify the diet.

The effectiveness in the short term actually seem much better than in the long term. Lost a lot of weight the first couple months and then plateaued. After that point lost very little on a monthly basis making this diet feel more like a fad than an advantage.

Side Effects
Weren't a lot of side effects to the diet itself short-term. In the long term, unless you are just eating lean meats only, could have cholesterol and other high fat related issues. Actually took in a decent bit of cholesterol and fat even when trying to eat leaner meats.

It is a pretty easy diet to be on if you mainly like meats and not a lot of sweets and snacks in excess. It was one of the easier diets I have tried to do over the years and it is nice that you don't have to buy a bunch of foods as part of the diet itself.

• Side Effects:

Losing weight can be hard but the Atkins Diet makes it easier!

from Amherst, MA

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

The Atkins diet is a great way to lose quite a bit of weight! I found that while on the Atkins diet I did lose a lot of weight but that I really, really missed my carbohydrates. But the basics of the Atkins diet are that you replace the carbohydrates with a lot of protein and vegetables and while you don’t always feel hungry you can end up craving those carbohydrates quite a bit. What I ended up doing for myself was a modified version of the Atkins diet, where I kept my protein and vegetable content up really high but I allowed myself a few hundred percent whole grain items which is really what the Atkins diet wants you to do in the long run. It did help also to stay away from wheat food items, don’t know exactly why but wheat seems worse than other whole grains. I still lost weight and felt better but I didn’t miss those carbohydrates nearly so much. It is worth going to your local library to check out the Atkins diet book and reading about what they have to say and then do like I did and try out the Atkins diet but then allow yourself to modify it a little bit to suit your own life.

This diet works for me

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

This is the only diet plan that I would consider using because I know that it works for me. I am not typically considered to be overweight, but since I am rather inactive during the winter months, I find that I need to shed about ten pounds each spring to get back to my more normal weight and to feel more comfortable in my clothes. I have used The Atkins Diet for the past fifteen years, but only for a short period of time each year. It is an easier diet than most because you don't get hungry since you are allowed to eat......just not carbs. It does take a bit longer to shed those few pounds as I get older, but The Atkins Diet does still work for me. I use to achieve my weight loss goal in about two to three weeks, but it now can take four to six weeks. It does take willpower to give up my sweets and breads, but as I lose the amount of weight that I wanted to lose, I actually find it hard to give in and start eating carbs again. Just make sure that if you are going to cheat occasionally on The Atkins Diet, do not cheat during the first two critical weeks.

Don't Even Try

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

I was very displeased with my experience with the Atkins diet. I got a free calorie book with 3 free snack bars when signing up for the program, and I thought they were delicious! However, I was sad to see that they did not focus on eating balanced meals with the right amount of nutrients, proteins, and carbohydrates-rather, they cut off most things to only give you proteins. It is a very hard plan to follow, and I lost interest in a few weeks. Even though I did lose a few pounds, I was very hungry and I ended up gaining my weight back and even plus some at some points when I was on this diet. I would recommend people to look elsewhere. The point of a diet is to eat healthier, not eat less. Balance your food groups, not just on one.

For a certain point of time, it does work. However, the yo-yo effect is often in effect with this diet.

Side Effects
Horrible for long term use. Every time I lost weight, I would somehow always regain it back- most likely due to the missing carbohydrates I needed.

I found it very hard to adjust to. I stuck it out for a week or two and ultimately gave up due to the strict rules of this diet plan.

Protein is All You Need

Comments about The Atkins Diet:

The Atkin’s Diet is focused on large quantities of protein with absolutely no carbohydrates or sugars, at least in the beginning. Over time you can slowly work very small amounts of sugars and carbohydrates in, but I never made it that far in the diet to be able to report on that part of it. I’ve had friends that have, and they’ve all said it’s a very difficult stage. When I was on the diet, I didn’t really pay much attention to the Atkins snacks, and drinks and all the extras they sell in addition to the basic books that are also offered. I stuck to the basic rules setup for the diet, ate lots and lots of chicken and turkey, and I also tried to limit the amount of red meat and pork, but they were still included. I also included lots of beans, garbanzo, kidney, and black, to add a little variety. I also included different types of cheeses, but tried to incorporate them sparingly given the high fat and calorie content. I know, they say this is all “good fat,” but I still struggled with the notion in my head. The diet was really great at first and the first six or seven pounds practically melted off. After a while though the weight loss started to taper off, and I got really sick of the limited amount of food choices. After stopping the diet plan, all the weight that had come off ended up all going right back on. Pretty disappointing, but during the actual diet, it worked pretty well.