Other Calculators:
Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator

Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator

Perfect Calculator

The Ti-89 Titanium is practically the best calculator ever made. I am studying engineering and I use this calculator all the time. First off, for any person switching from a regular scientific calculator to this calculator (and even those switching from the likes of Ti-83 graphiing calculators) the transition is rather hard. But not to scare anyone, the calculator is very simple to use after reading the manual. Having the ability to calculate both the exact and approximate answers, it easily handles any basic math calculations. But the beauty of this calculator lies in its potentials. Built in, you can graph equations, solve equations easily with its built-in solver, do many upper level calculus problems on it, etc. I mainly use the solve feature of this calculator, but others such as solving systems of equations is a cinch. You can program it, if you know how, or just download programs others have made. This is great for heavy math/science and even business people as the programs can easily help you solve problems. For example, there are physics solvers, static mechanics solvers, beam analysis, etc. Plus there are plentiful amount of games available. Overall, this calculator does practically everything, or at the least potentially can depending on what programs you have. It is very quick, and the screen is big so that you can review the history and select previous entries and answers to be inputted in the recent input line. Definately recommended to anyone that does heavy math and science applications.

The TI-89 Titanium is OK

At the beginning of this school year, I went into my first Advanced Placement Calculus class so I decided that I should probably upgrade my outdated TI-83 plus calculator to get the more advanced and severely more expensive TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator. I had heard great things about it from my classmates and that it can pretty much do your homework for you so I logically figured that it would be an amazing addition to my mathematical repetoire. But after I had used it for a month or so, I was sadly disappointed. There was nothing I had encountered in my B/C Calc class that I couldn't have done on my TI-83 plus calculator and I definitely could have done it faster on my old calculator. Although the Ti-89 has more perks and features, the sole fact that it is nearly impossible to find functions or actions to perform quickly detracts a lot from my overall impression of this calculator. So if you're looking for a calculator that has all the bells and whistles but is not so easy to use, purchase the TI-89 Titanium, but if you want a calculator that is simple and easy to use as well as high-tec, buy the TI-83 Plus

TI-89 is quite useful.

from Appleton, WI

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

I was using a TI-84 throughout most of my high school career but once I got to college, the three calculus courses I had required the use of the TI-89. I can now see why high schools don't want you to use a TI-89. There is just so much more that the calculator can do than a 83 or 84.

It doesn't take long to learn the basic calculus functions like integrals and derivatives. The provided manual does a good job of explaining how most of the functions work and is a good guide to come back to if you are confused.

While these calculators have been out for a long time, the price remains the same. While I can understand why they stay the same price, it is a little bit annoying.

If you are going into college into a field that is very math intensive like I am, then this calculator is a must. While a TI-83 or 84 can do most of what this calculator can do, it becomes a lot easier once you start using the TI-89.

I would recommend the TI-89 to anyone going into college that will have to take multiple calculus courses.

TI-89 Titanium is Extremely Versitile

from Warrenton, VA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

When I first glanced at the Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator, i was baffled. I didn't know which menu to go to, or even how to punch in 2 * 2. Then i started playing around, and I soon found out how powerful and helpful this beast really is. The Ti-89 is basically everything you would ever want in a calculator, It had 3-D graphing capabilities and is perfect for Calculus, Statistics, and many more classes. It does anything form implicit differention to solving matrices. The TI-89 is the perfect calculator for the SAT. Do note though that the TI-89 can not be used on the ACT's. The Ti-89 titanium is the TI-92 jam packed into a smaller calcular. It also has a twice as large ram which is extremely useful. One fun thing to learn to do on these calculators is to make your own programs. You can also download a variety of applications and even games. Not much can get better than the TI-89 Titanium!

The TI-89 Titanium is OK

from Dayton, OH

Does it all

from Washington, PA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator is a well rounded graphing calculator. I needed one for my calc class and Texas Instrument was the only calculator brand I considered. The Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator was the best one that TI had out at the time and was actually recommended to me by my teacher and my friends. The screen on it is excellent and perfect for calculus. I like that it has some heft to it as well. This to me means that it is well build and will not fall apart on me after some heavy usage. I did not really like the fact that it eats batteries like a boss. I put new batteries into this beast every few months. I wish companies would start making graphing calculators with reachable batteries. Along with the cost of the batteries the Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator was also very expensive. But I guess for all that it does it is money well spent.

What do you want in a calculator

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

I'll start off by saying that a calculator of this kind of power will never be needed in algebra. This calculator is much much stronger than the usual ti 83 or 84s that more people are used to. Although it is also more expensive, it comes packed with a Calculator Algebra System (CAS) that makes it much more useful for Calculus based operations. Unlike the 83 or 84, it will automatically solve for any zeros in a given equation, the derivative, integral, and all that stuff with the press of a couple of buttons.

Personally, I like the ti 83 and 84s better. I do not personally think the Calculator Algebra System is too necessary, nor is it required. A lot of standardized exams like the SATs make it so you cant use these kinds of calculators anyways so its in a sense worthless until college. Even in colelge a lot of teachers make these graphing calculators not allowed anyways so i guess in the end, it realy depends on what you want in a calculator.

Best TI Calculator!

from Davis, CA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

This calculator is a beast. It provides soo much functionality for any math course you may take. It can even solve derivatives and integrals for you. the TI 89 calculator has always been considered great but also a "cheat" because it can do alot of math functions for you. You cant use this calculator on IB exams but you can on the SATs. Im not sure about the AP exams but im guessing that you cant either. As for its durability, just like any other TI calculator, it lasts forever. You can own this calculator for as long as you want. TI calculators almost never break under normal use. Even if you drop it a hundred times it will still be functional and working like new. I have own many TI calculators and they have all served me well. the TI89 is one of the best i have used because it gives me soo many tools to work with. I can even install a notecard program and use my ti as a notecard stack to study. The battery life is just amazing, i probably have gone over a year without replacing the battery once.

TI-89 Outstanding calculator!

from Riverside, CA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

I first stumbled upon this calculator for my math class back in high school and ever since then, I have been totally in love with this calculator. I use this calculator a lot, for my classes in college and for a lot of my classes throughout high school. This calculator is totally reliable and can do almost anything that you ask it to do. It could solve for a variable, do derivatives, and even plot graphs if you wanted it to! This calculator was used mostly for calculus and it has a lot of unique functions that other calculators do not have such as creating a table. The calculator is really portable and has been the best investment I have ever made in a calculator. I can not even tell you how many times this calculator has saved my life. The only bad thing about the calculator is that it uses 4 AAA batteries but the batteries do last a while so it is okay. I highly recommend that you buy this calculator if you are taking physics or calculus because it will save your life.

Ti-89 is an excellent graphic calcuator for engineering use!

from Walnut, CA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

Even though i have a working ti86 calculator, as an engineering student i choose to buy this 2nd calcuator for specific engineering class. For example, i believe using this calculator for electrical engineering class is a must. It can solve complex equation very easily. However, i'm not sure if just my calculator or all model is like this but the battery runs out pretty fast for me. For my other graphing calulator i use more but don't have to change battery as much as this one. The usb port is easy to transfer useful program unlike other graphic calculator. The calculator does have a lot of functions and does comes with program with useful equations too. However, this calcuator can be a little difficult to learn and get familiar with all the functions. Overall, i still think this calcuatlor is very useful and as long as you keep using this calculator it shouldn't be that difficult to fully understand all the fuctions.

TI-89: Great, but hard to use

from Ojibwa, WI

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

This calculator is able to perform many math calculations, functions, etc. However, it is very hard to use, in my opinion, and the learning curve is very steep. If you do learn how to use it, though, you can do many things that can't be done on other calculators. For example, this calculate allows you to integrate (in Calculus) visually, with single or multiple variables (not evaluating from one limit to another). This cannot be done on other calculators such as the TI-84. Additionally, this calculator will also be able to perform other complex math operations.

Like I said before, unfortunately, this calculator is very different from other calculators, even the other TI calculators. Moving from a TI-84 to this one, even figuring out how to graph a function was a challenge that took some figuring out. Regardless, if you learn how to use this calculator, I'm sure it will be very helpful and powerful.

The Grandaddy of all calculators

from Gilbert, IA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Titanium Scientific Calculator:

The TI-89 is the calculator that will do it all. If you are planning on taking Calculus later in life, but this now and you shouldn't need another calculator for the rest of your life. (Just make sure your teacher allows the calculator.)

The main advantage the the TI-89 has over most other TI products is that it has the ability to do indefinite and definite integrals. Most graphing calculators lack the ability to calculate indefinite integrals. It also can differentiate, calculate summations, find limits, as well as thousands of other great things.

The only draw back I can think of with this calculator is that it is not allowed for use on certain standardized exams, and some students may find it difficult if their teacher explains procedures on a TI-84, and the student has a TI-89. The keystrokes and commands are slightly different.

The last big sell about the calculator is its pretty print capability. This allows students more easily see if they have entered expressions in correctly.

But all in all, this is a great calculator.