Other Calculators:
Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator

Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator

Breeze through any high school or college math classes

The TI-89 Graphing Calculator is an amazing product.  It can perform so many more tasks than the TI-83 or -84 and it costs only a little bit more.  I used this calculator in my AP Calculus class last year and use it this year, in my Calc 2 class.  Every one of my friends was so jealous of me haha.  While they were having to memorize complicated calculus formulas and rules, I just laughed and scored higher than them on our tests.  And its all because of my trusty TI-89.  This calculator is great and I strongly recommend it to any high school or college student who is taking math classes.

Good product, but not allowed in class

The TI 89 Calculator can do pretty much anything you need. The huge down fall is that most of the time if you need insturctions for it your wont get it in your high school or college classes because they all use the TI83 or TI84 's . Not only that but i am currently in a Pre-calc & trig class at my local college and my teacher doesnt allow people to have a TI 89 for tests or quizes. So if you are looking to buy a calculaor for class that you can acutally use i would recommend getting either the Ti 83 PLUS or The TI 84 both are favorede by teachers and most students as well.

This calculator can save you lots of time!

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

I've used a variety of calculators in a high-school teaching setting, but this one is by far the best. The standard TI-83 is blown away by this model.

The price difference can seem a bit steep, but if you are able to buy this model second-hand locally or from an upperclassman who no longer needs theirs, it is definitely worth the upgrade.

I love the graphic interface, it's easy to use and very learner-friendly. This calculator can handle items from the lowest ends of algebra to the highest calculus programs, and it will even solve differentials!

I wish I had had this during my college career, but now using it with teaching students, I much prefer this over the TI-83.

Great for Upper Level Math! Mine is my friend!

from Trumbull, CT

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

I love this thing! I have an older one that I got oh probably 8-10 years ago, but it's still going strong! It does take some getting used to. I think that the Ti-83 and the Ti-85 are both easier for those starting out with a graphing calculator. Especially, because some of the functions that you will be using a lot at the Algebra II and early Trig levels are a lot easier to find on the 83 and the 85, but once you start heading up into Calculus, then this is a nice one because it has more modes and options for calculating. I really like being able to change between approximate mode and exact mode on this calculator, it's a step up from the function that just changes decimals to fractions from lower level models. Basically, in approx. mode you get a decimal, and in exact mode it will give you not only exact fractions, but simplify things like radicals.

Can do anything you ever wanted in math

from Chapel Hill, NC

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

The TI-89 is far more powerful than some of the older models in that it can symbolically evaluate derivatives and integrals, something your TI-83 (and not even MATLAB) can't do. It can even solve differential equations for you. Many of the commands are similar to MATLAB, so if you are used to that, it is good. Programming on the 89 is quite a bit more difficult than on the 83, but still doable. Generally, it seems like an 83 will get you through about pre-calculus, but the 89 will help you go further and will help you in calculus (single and multi variable), differential equations, and linear algebra.

Breeze through any high school or college math classes

from Marstons Mills, MA

Top of its class

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

The Texas Instruments TI-89 Graphic Calculator is the best graphics calculator I have ever used. I've worked as a mathematics tutor for years, so I've seen my fair share of them. My only warning is it is easy to get too dependent on its features and forget how to do things for yourself (which could be bad as this calculator may or may not be allowed in a particular class).

It is only slightly more expensive than the TI-83 or TI-84, but it can do far more (and it is much easier to use than either of those). It can solve equations, do matrices, diferentiate, intergrate, and loads more.

One of the best features is that is saves the last 20 or so entries you have made AND you can scroll up to those inputs and use them again. It is also really easy to go back and correct mistakes. If you give the 89 a chance you will never want to go back to and 83 or 84.

A great calculator, but a bit overpriced

from Austin, TX

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

The TI-89 was a lifesaver in high school (until I found wolfram alpha). The calculator solves complex variable equations and many differentiation/integration problems that are very hard to solve by hand. It is easily programmable, and the graphing features work like a breeze. Every aspect of the calculator was well thought out, and the menu is very intuitive and professional looking. There are a wide variety of applications available for the calculator, and some are very helpful. The calculator is not as helpful in college, but still good when you need a calculation here or there. My biggest complaint with the calculator, which is somewhat significant, is the price. TI has charged 150 for the calculator for the past few years, and keeps the price that high because they have a monopoly over the competition because of their age. I think 150 is a bit steep, especially with websites like wolfram alpha that can accomplish essentially the same thing for free.

My TI 89 Graphing Calculator saved my college career!

from Virginia Beach, VA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

I have had a Texas Instruments TI-89 Graphing Calculator since they first came out when I was in high school. I was taking Calculus and the class required at least a Texas Instruments TI-83+ but we were allowed to go up as high as the TI-89. I researched the Texas Instruments Graphing Calculator line and decided that the TI-89 would best suit my needs since it could double check my integration and derivation problems and ensure that I was getting the correct answer from my written work. Another bonus of the TI-89 Graphing Calculator is that it has different applications that you can download from the Texas Instruments website that can help with classes other than math, I have downloaded these applications for my chemistry class in college and also my physics class because they add great functions like a periodic table. The calculator also comes with a built in unit convertor to help convert between the metric system and American Standard System of Measurement and everything in between. If it weren't for these and many other great functions available I would not have done as well as I have so far in college.

Gets it done!

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

This is my favorite calculator of all time! Though there are better models that can do all kinds of crazy things, this one suits me when I tutor algebra, geometry or intermediate algebra. Because it has also been the standard at my high school, the interface is familiar and I can find a lot of help online if I don’t know how to do something. I like how it is programmable. You can make your own programs from scratch or download programs (and even games!). Mine has a handy probability calculator and conversion chart which I use from time to time. It also has a cute “Bubble” game, though I haven’t  really played it.

Though this is my favorite calculator, it does have a few flaws. One of them is that it is sometimes hard to find what you need. There are so many buttons and sometimes you know what you need, but you have to go through all these buttons and menus just to find it. After a while, you will be able to find it by memory because you would have searched forever for it but I’m sure they can make things a little more user friendly.

Buy it

from Union, NJ

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

I had the Texas Instruments TI-83 Graphic Calculator then upgraded to the TI-84 (which was not much different than the TI-83 and a complete waste of money, in my opinion) before I finally stumbled upon the TI-89. This calculator is a million times better than the previous two I mentioned. The TI-83/TI-84 seem useless and outdated and a waste of space for their size. Sure they do graphing, but that's about the only plus. The TI-89 has a better screen format and it can help you with algebra and even calculus (which as a former engineering student, I can attest was a huge help). The only thing I really don't like about it is how huge it is. You feel like such a nerd lugging around a gigantic calculator (although it's tiny compared to the TI-92 -- that sucker's a beast) If you are going to blow that much money on a calculator at least blow it on one that's worth the price. Don't make my mistake -- skip the others and go right to the TI-89.

TI-89, capable of more than you realize

from Madison, AL

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-89 Graphic Calculator:

I am not one of those computer/technically savvy individuals, and didn't learn til the end of high school what this calculator is capable of! I wish I had known when I first was required to purchase it what all I could do with it! Its not exactly what I would call user friendly, at least to non-math oriented people(who actually need to learn how to use its many functions!) Some classes and/or professors will not allow you to use these which is frustrating considering how much you paid for it.

The price of this calculator has remained pretty constant, high that is, for years now. PEOPLE WILL STEAL THESE! I have several friends who have had to replace their's.

For some people this calculator is a long term investment; my husband is an engineer and has his high school/college TI-89 in his desk at his office.

The USB capability is new since I purchased mine, and seems like it would be pretty awesome & helpful.