Other Calculators:
Graphing Calculator
Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator

Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator

A powerful calculator that really lasts

The Ti-83 calculator in particular I have was bought about three years ago. The calculator is a truly great tool for any student to have, and is pretty useful even to those who just need it for regular math. There are so many different functions that the calculator is capable of doing that just looking at the numerous functions can be exhilarating. To describe the calculator itself, it is large, but compact enough to not take up too much in your backpack, your drawer, or even your pocket. The buttons are large enough to be clearly seen, and not force you to squint to see the actual keys. Even the screen is bright enough to be seen in dim lighting. The Ti-83 may use four AAA batteries, but it certainly uses them efficiently. I put the current batteries it has in it about a year ago, and it still hasn't run out yet. As said before, the Ti-83 is a must have for anyone taking math class, and it's useful enough for anyone who just wants a calculator for simple calculations

Texas Instruments-TI-83 Plus Graphic calculator isn't worth it

I bought this because it was required for my introductory algebra class.  It was a waste of my money. :-(

Let me start off by saying I am NOT...Read complete review

Let me start off by saying I am NOT a math genius.  This calculator did not help.  It might be good for someone who's good in algebra, but all the features and keys and 2nd shifts and all that junk just confused the heck out of me.  The graphing got stuck and I couldn't fix it.  I tried tp access the online guide but that was like 200 pages long, it was ridiculous.  Also, the cover is very hard to take off and to put on the backside, I actually threw the cover out.  It's bulky and has a lot of heft, I dont know how much it weighs but it feels like the weight of about two iPod Classics.  That's not good for a college student who's lugging a bunch of textbooks on her back.  Also, supposedly you can hook it to your computer...well, I couldn't to mine.  The cable that came with it was not a USB cord, it was some weird cord with a headphone type jack on each end, and I could not get that into my laptop. Why doesn't it have a USB cord? I hated this horrible thing! NO POSITIVES AT ALL

The only calculator I'll ever need (Silver Edition)

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

I love my TI-83 Plus Silver Edition. I got it 10 years ago as a freshman in high school - I used it everyday then for graphing and calculus assignments, and I still probably use it everyday now for something or another.

In terms of features, it had everything that I needed for geometry, calculus, physics, and my more advanced college math classes as well. You can create graphs, tables, matrices...calculate functions, statistics, binomial distribution...I also love that you can create your own programs and save them (and transfer them to other calculators via the cable output at the bottom of the calculator).

As for its durability, I give this calculator an A. I can guarantee I have dropped it plenty of times in the 10 years I have had it and it is still going strong. Battery life seems really good as well - I can't remember the last time I have had to change them. One thing that I have had an issue with a couple of times though was losing stored information (ie: programs I had created and saved) after replacing the batteries. I think this happened to me twice several years ago, but it hasn't been an issue since so I don't know if it was a fluke or some sort of design flaw.

Overall, I highly recommend this calculator to any student or anyone with a need for a more advanced calculator.

Do it all Calculator

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

I bought this calculator as a freshman in high school and it has been with me in every math class since- I'm in college now. It does basically everything for you, graphs, makes tables, finds max and min points, trend lines, R values, everything! It is basically the same calculator as the newer versions (TI 85, 89 ect) but will cost a lot less at this point. You do have to know your way around the calculator though, most teachers will help navigate but the 83 version has a bit of a different layout than the newer ones so things may not be in the same place. It was not different enough to cause problems for me. The battery life is really good too, I have only changed the batteries once in the last six years (4 AAA batteries in the back). This thing is incredibly durable too, its been shoved in backpacks, buried under text books and maybe stepped on once or twice too. Overall an amazing calculator, costs a lot (not as much as the newer ones) but worth it. Cannot do upper level math courses without it.

Perfect for high school and college math classes

from Monmouth, OR

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

All of my high schoolers and college students have used this calculator and it has served them well. It does more than I could ever imagine. It does seem to go through batteries quickly, but it's such an important tool to have, that we don't mind.

Don't use blown batteries, they will fry the electronic device.

from Davis, CA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

**Product Description** MODEL- TI83GRAPHICS DESC.-TEXAS INSTRUMENTS GRAPHING CALCULATOR FEATURES- * 8-line by 16-character display. * Advanced functions accessed through pull-down display menus. * Real and complex numbers calculated to 14-digit accuracy and displayed with 10 digits plus a 2-digit exponent. * Graphs 10 rectangular functions, 6 parametric expressions, 6 polar expressions, and 3 recursively-defined sequences. * Up to 10 graphing functions defined, saved, graphed, and analyzed at one time. * Sequence graphing mode shows time series plot, cobweb/stair-step plot, and phase plots. * User-defined list names. Lists store up to 999 elements. * 14 interactive zoom features. * Function evaluation table shows numeric evaluation of functions in table format. * Interactive analysis of function values, roots, maximum, minimums, integrals, and derivatives. * 7 different graph styles for differentiating the look of each graph drawn. * Horizontal and vertical split-screen options. * Matrix operations including inverse, determinant, transpose, augment,

Very nice

from Miami, FL

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

If you are looking for a great calculator that will do pretty much any calculation in the world your search is over. I love my Ti 83 calculator. Some of it's great features include its long battery life. I have had mine for four years and it still doesn't need a new battery. That by it self is pretty amazing. It's been very reliable and I don't ever have to doubt the results I get. It is extremely portable and I always carry it in my backpack with me. There are so many functions in it that almost every month I come across something new it can do that I was not aware about. It is very straight forward so don't have to go through the manual to figure out how to do some simple calculation. All that is extremely easy to do you may just want to look up stuff that is a little complicated and find out how to do that on the calculator. The only problem I have with it is the fact that it is pretty expensive. I wish they would slash the prices so everyone could buy one of these.

Calculates Fine

from Forest, VA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

Like most of the other people who go out and probably buy a calculator such as this, I needed this calculator a class. For the purposes of my class, this calculator worked perfectly. The buttons were big enough, and the screen provided a clear presentation of the numerical figures that I needed to give for answers. The calculator was a bit slow, although it worked decently fine. It was a bit pricey, but I guess they sell it at that price to take advantage of all of the school kids who need it for math class. Since your choices are basically limited when it comes to a calculator such as this, it's kind of hard not to reccomend this calculator. If they come out with a faster model, I would go with that, but otherwise this works.

good calculator

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

I bought the TI-83 plus in 2006. After doing quite a bit of searching online and talking to others with this, or similar, products, I decided that the TI-83 plus was the graphing calculator most suitable for me. My main reason for buying this item was because I wanted a calculator for courses. I mainly use my graphing calculator for math and engineering courses, but occasionally for problems that could also be acheived in matlab. I use this product weekly and it appears to be functioning just as good as new. One cool feature of this graphing calculator is the powerful processor. The biggest positive for the TI-83 plus is the ease of use to do a variety of tasks. The thing I most dislike about this item is its initial price. Overall, I would say that the TI-83 plus was a solid product and a good purchase. (I got mine at Staples.) I would definitely recommend this item to others.

Does a lot

from Arcadia, CA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

This is a very expensive calculator and as such, it does a lot of things. It can do pretty much what every calculator out there does, and does a lot more. It plots graphs, solves equations, does calculations to a lot of decimal points and much more. It is a very bulky calculator. Well bulky in the sense that it is very long (tall) and it is a bit beefy thickness wise. It can still fit in a pocket though, although it will occupy a lot of space. I would not really say this calculator is easy to use. Sure, you can do addition and subtraction, multiplication and division on it since the keys are all the same as other calculators. But in order to do complex calculations and graphing, is it really that intuitive? No, definitely not. You will either have to consult a professor or a student who is familiar with this calculator or read the manual a bit. It is true though that once you know it and get in the grind of things the TI-83 will be more straightforward.

Wouldn't trade my TI-83 for any other calculator

from Rosedale, MD

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

The TI-83 is my favourite TI calculator out of every calculator out there. Other people have the newer calculator,but personally I feel as if they have extra functions that are pointless for a real student. As an engineering major I love my TI-83. I have the ability to graph functions, solve functions, and make calculation's which I wouldn't be able to complete as fast as on my calculator. I have taken this calculator through my algebra, computer science, statistics, calculus, physics, and other classes. From my first year of high-school to my last year of college I wont let go of this calculator. Today I am using my calculator for matricies in linear algebra class and its still working like it was just yesterday. All I have to say is that this calculator is the best. It will never fail you, have a long battery life, and will always get the job done. It could be lighter, but at least its lighter than the other TI's.

TI83+ Perfect through HS and College

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Texas Instruments - TI-83 Plus Graphic Calculator:

While this calculator may be outdated by now, it has successfully guided me through multiple math and business courses throughout highschool and college. I purchased one of these calculators over 6 years ago and it has become the standard for graphic calculators. The built in functions provided through the caluclator is outstanding. I was a business major in college which made me take courses such as statistics, calculus, finance, and accounting. All of these courses relied heavily on formulas, graphing, usings square roots and exponents that can be more difficult on some non-graphing calculators. The price has also seemed to have dropped a significant amount as if you search online, you can get a steal of a price for one of these calculators. You can also develop programs within the calculator and even spend some spare time in class getting aps through file transfers and playing games such as "Phoenix", "Tetris", "Pacman" and a ton of other basic games. This calculator has been an essential item in "back to school" lists throughout the nation.