3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

Worth It To Get Free Shipping At Their Online Store

Without fail, every time I would go to a local Target store one of the associates would ask me if I had their credit card, when I would say no they would ask me if I wanted to apply. I always passed on the offer because I had enough credit cards but then someone asked me if I ever shopped online at the Target website. When I said yes she told me that if I used the Target card online at their site I could get free shipping. That made it a little more enticing but what sealed the deal was that there was no annual fee. The yearly interest fee is 22% which is a little higher than what I would want to pay but I always pay my bill when it arrives and I don't carry a balance from month to month.

I like being able to see my transactions online and that I can get free shipping on almost everything that I order from their site. When I have had problems with things that I have bought in the store or online I have always had great results from customer service. If I buy something online and need to return it I can have it credited to the card (have the charge removed) or if I have already paid the bill they offer me a gift card in the amount of the returned item or a credit on the card. Another perk to having this is an extended return policy; if you buy something on the Target Visa you get an additional 30 days to return it. That's great if you are buying a gift and sending it to someone and something happens to it or it is defective.

I use the card about once a month and have never had any problems with security or disputed charges. Even with the security breach that happened around the holidays none of my information was compromised. I have received two credit line increases (neither of which I asked for) since I initially got the card. The most I spend on it is a couple hundred dollars but it makes me a little more inclined to check their website for deals because I don't have to worry about the cost of shipping. There are some items that do not qualify for free shipping like large pieces of furniture but for smaller things like video games and clothing it can save you about a hundred dollars a year if you shop online once a month.

as of April 30, 2010, you can't get Target Visa

**If you do not already have a Target Visa Card in your pocket; you can’t get one.**

As of April 30th 2010, Target has stopped taking applications and stopped issuing Target Visa Cards.

If you already have one you can keep using it.  If you pay off your balance every month on this card it will continue to offer some good deals.  However, as many have found over the last year, without warning APR has increased to a stunning rate over 24 percent (in some cases people are being charged over 34 percent !!!!)..

Credit limits have also been frozen or lowered—often to within $100 of what your current balance is.

On a corporate level, Target did not feel they were getting  enough benefit by offering additional deals and discounts through the Visa program and it was determined offering a dedicated Target credit card would offer the most profits and least credit risk to the Target company.

The good news is that Target Credit and debit card customers should be receiving an instant 5 percent instant discount at the store.  Rewards points and other incentives continue for current card holder but expect those to gradually be phased out over the next 24 months.

Bottom Line:

The Target Visa Credit Card is no longer being issued.   If you currently have one and have a very low balance or pay it off every month, it’s not a bad deal for you at all.  However, if you carried a balance it is very likely you saw your APR increased by 6 to 12 percent and your limit decreased to within 100 dollars of what you owed.   There have been many many complaints about the aggressive manner in which Target adjusted rates and limits in the past year.   It’s advisable you pay off your balance or transfer it to a much lower interest card.   It is obscene what some people are being charged in terms of interest rate on this card which is some case exceed 34 percent!!!!   Can they really do that?   They can and they have even for some customers who have paid on time for several years.

Pay off your balance every month and keep your card if you intend to shop at Target (it is likely the rewards will decrease but until that happens you will continue to benefit)  or  get rid of your card ASAP, it is very likely you are paying way too much interest on your balance.

Not worth the trouble

from Silver Spring, MD

Comments about Target - REDcard:

I was lured into applying after a cashier saw me buying baby formula, I fell for the 5% discount and applied. I did not get the card right away or ever but 3 months later I received a bill, with a $37 late payment fee and $59 past due and no RED card. I called costumer service and was told to pay and that they had sent the card. I ended up cancelling the card and was told that they could not waive any fee and they insisted that they sent the card. I asked for a confirmation email, and they don't do that, I was only given a confirmation number and a girl called "Delicia", but no last name.
A very frustrating experience, not worth the 5% discount

One of my favorite store cards yet!

from Florida

Comments about Target - REDcard:

I usually use my target card to make my everyday purchases because we automatically save 5% on all purchases. On top of the sales they have along with coupons and their cartwheel app, there is just so much savings to be had. This card comes in handy during the holiday season for big ticket purchases.

I'm a Target fan, especially the RedCard

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Comments about Target - REDcard:

Immediate rewards in the form of discounts, and you can double the discount with their pharmacy rewards.

Customer Service
All of my experiences have been positive. They are very responsive. When I missed a payment (working too many hours) they called before it got expensive.

Available Rates
the same as the rest of them. There are many levels depending on credit ratings. The Visa rates are as bad as department stores. I just pay it off every month.

• Available Rates:

Why bother with Target's REDcard?

Comments about Target - REDcard:

I had a REDcard for quite awhile before cancelling it totally. What first drew me to it was the initial discount REDcard gave me on my purchase just for signing up. After that, I realized I wasn't impressed with it at all.
I'm one of those people who thinks "Why bother with a credit card you can only use at one store when can use one that is universally accepted at all stores?"
I know a lot of people like the extra coupons and rewards their Target REDcard offers them. I wasn't impressed to the point where it was worth keeping it. I mean, if I can get bonuses in the form of cash back from my major credit card at a lower interest rate for carried balances, then that's every bit as good for me.

Customer Service
My disappointment in REDcard customer service stems from the reality that to this day, every time I am in Target they try to up-sell and encourage me to sign up again. I fell for it once and was let down, and even had to haggle on the phone to get them to close out my account. (They tried everything to prevent me from doing so.)
Maybe I'm just not a big enough Target fan.

Available Rates
When I had my card, the interest rate was over 20%, later went down, and then shot back up again despite my making regular, timely payments.

Easy pissy!

Comments about Target - REDcard:

The most recent recent debit card in my wallet is Target red card. We never shopped that often at Target until lately. The reason being a new dining place in the mall (that my husband loves) we visit very often and there we have Target as well. Earlier we used to buy a thing or two when we visited this mall, but lately we realized why not to get the Target red card when we are shopping here every week. The best part of the RED card is being a debit card which makes it very easy for anyone to get it, they do not run your credit before issuing you one. Target always has great deals, especially with in store and Manufacturer coupons, you can actually grab some free stuff plus you get 5% automatic discount when you use this card. If you are a frequent shopper at target then get this card else do not get it just for the sake of increasing the number of cards in your wallet. Trust me 5% saving every time, adds up

Customer Service
Must be great, did not encounter !

love it

from Edina, MN

Comments about Target - REDcard:

The Target- REDcard is a great card to have in your wallet. I am a big fan of target both for clothing and for food items and they have great products and great deals always open to the public. The redcard is a great convenience, quick and easy and nice for the discount you get. Its easier than carrying around cash and coins and makes for a faster checkout for you, the cashier and anyone waiting behind you. It is quick and easy to apply for and I believe if you have regular to good credit there should be no problem being accepted. Its a great benefit to my family and I, we love it!

Customer Service
Customer service I have not had to contact as of yet, since I have had no problems or complications yet. We have had the card for awhile and there has never been any issues for us to contact customer service for assistance.

Available Rates
The available rates are reasonable and I am sure depend on your credit levels and rates.

Great Debit Card

Comments about Target - REDcard:

The Target Red debit card is a great card if you shop at Target often. Because it is a debt card they don't run your credit before issuing it to you which keeps you from getting a ding on your credit score. When you use it you get 5% off your purchase automatically and you get free shipping online with no minimum purchase. What I love about this debit card is that it connects directly to your checking account so you don't have another credit card statement that you have to worry about paying off. This card will be a hassle and just another card in your wallet if you never shop there however, if you shop there often the additional 5% adds up with major and every day purchases.

Customer Service
Even with the recent data breaches I've still found customer service to be far better at Target than at Walmart so it is worth it for me to shop there and thus have this card.

Available Rates
Because this is a debit card you don't have to worry about interest rates and the money is directly taken from your checking account.

• Available Rates:

Excellent card with adequate discount

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about Target - REDcard:

I'm the kind of person who prefers to use debit whenever I can so I don't overspend. The great thing about this card is that it works like debit (I have the debit one, not the credit one), but you get a 5% discount on your Target purchase. The money comes right out of your bank account just like a debit card would do. While 5% doesn't seem like much, you're basically getting tax taken off. With larger purchases, this is definitely noticeable. Pair it with coupons and Cartwheel, and you can get some great deals. A great perk is that shipping is always free for you online, no matter the purchase amount. I find myself shopping online at Target simply because I know I'll get free shipping. Signing up is incredibly easy, as you only need a blank check, and it doesn't have a hard credit inquiry (when you do the debit variety, not the credit one). There are honestly no downsides I can think of, and I believe every Target shopper should get a REDCard from Target.

Nice If You Are Target Shopper

Comments about Target - REDcard:

Target is a great place to shop. It is a bit more expensive than other lower class department stores, but the environment and employees are so much more sophisticated. I am not an extremely frequent Target shopper but I have gotten the Target credit card which saves us a percentage every time I shop there. The five percent adds up after a while on merchandise but I see it as covering for the sales tax. Target is such a clean and family-friendly environment and it is worth saving that small percentage for a pleasant shopping experience. I have had the red card for about three years now and have never had an issue with it. The card is very easy to find in my wallet or purse among all of my other cards. The rewards program is convenient too as I can save airline miles. After a while of shopping, I am pleasantly surprised with the savings and rewards I accumulate with my red card.

Great Card

from Denham Springs, LA

Comments about Target - REDcard:

The Target Red Card is a card you can use at Target either as a debit or credit card. You can link the Target Red Card to your checking account and it will subtract funds from your account just like a regular debit card. I loved using my Target Red Card in place of my debit card. I received 5 percent off my total purchase and Target would send a small amount to my son's school for every dollar I spent on my Target Red Card. Having the Target Red Card also meant I received free shipping on Target.com which was great to have around Christmas. My only concerns with the card include security and the length of time it would take a charge to post to my checking account. After using the card at a local Target it would take three to four days to post to my checking account. If I was not diligent about writing these things down it could cause a serious issue. The recent security breach was also concerning because it took over 2 weeks to get in touch with Red Card costumer service to get a new card and pin number.