2.8
Other Magazines:
TV Guide

TV Guide

2.8

Buy it for the articles if for nothing else

I am a bzzagent and signed up to review TV guide, not knowing what it was going to be like. The last time I actually read a TV guide it was a very small book that was mostly done in black and white. I mean honestly who needs a book to tell them whats on when you have a cable guide and internet guide? Well imagine my surprise when this wonderful large magazine gets delivered to my door week after week. I honestly cant wait to read through the articles, to see the cheers and jeers, to see what is going on with what show or actor./actress. Even my four kids cant wait to read the articles in the magazine. I am an avid country fan and the entire time the CMA's were on TV I watched with my TV guide open on my lap with the list of who was nominated open. It was fun looking at my guesses based on who really won.My seven year old daughter who can read but it still learning sat down and read every single word over and over again in an article on High School musical, will there be a part 3. She even wrote the words down to "mail" to a younger cousin who is also a huge fan. She started her letter with " guess what TV guide said" Every week I turn to the must see this week guide to see what exciting thing is happening on my favorite shows. I am incredibly busy juggling a full time job with late hours, four kids and a disabled vet in my home and to be quite frank I often forget when shows I love come on TV, now that TV guide is back in my life I never forget> I highlight the days I want to watch something and in a matter of seconds I know if a fav program will be on without stopping my life and loggin onto my computer.The articles alone are so worth the subscription. If you havent picked up a TV guide in while, try one, you might be very pleasantly surprised like I was!

TV Guide is not what it used to be.

I have been addicted to TV as long as I can remember, and I like to know what is coming on so I will not miss anything. With all the cable channels, there are so many choices, and it is fun juggling the TV schedules. I have subscribed to TV Guide for awhile and have witnessed its extreme makeover. It used to be a small magazine with articles and easy-to-find TV show listings. Now it is a standard-size magazine with articles and disappointing TV show listings.

The old TV Guide had nicely laid-out daytime listings which clearly described each day's shows, but the new one has only two pages of the whole week's daytime listings which have only the show titles and no descriptions. The new one's nighttime listings are fine, but I miss the old TV Guide. The old TV Guide had its own style, and I don't think those classic covers would look good on today's magazine whose covers are not as inspired. Although the articles are about the same in both, today's TV Guide just seems like any other magazine.

Don't have much choice...

from Norwalk, CA

Comments about TV Guide:

I actually like the crossword, the articles and the reviews...what I don't like is the fact that they have no listings for channels I watch all the time and have listings for channels I never watch. I would "go with" my Sunday paper insert, but I don't get one with my paper...I would have to subscribe to it separately...yuk?

TV Guide, what tv guide?

from Gretna, NE

Comments about TV Guide:

I received this subscription as a gift from my daughter.  What a useless magazine, the only thing it is good for is reading articles about tv shows and finding out if the show is a rerun or not.  There is hardly anything in there about movies, no listings during the night, don't they know that the movie channels show movies all night?  I watch TCM more than any other channel and I can't even find the movies listed, I have to go to TCM's website and print out their monthly guide.  So I don't even need this worthless magazine.  If I want to read all the other gossip I can read one of many entertainment magazines out there.  I thought this magazine would tell me what is on tv, why is it called tv guide!?!  In case you haven't figured it out, I won't be renewing this magazine.

not your Grandmother's TV Guide

from Windham, ME

Comments about TV Guide:

I am not sure where TV Guide made the wrong turn but they should retrace their steps.  IF they no longer want to be a channel guide and just want to be another celebrity gossip mag, they should change their name!  I cancelled my subscription!

Click 'guide' on your remote instead....

from Hudson, OH

Comments about TV Guide:

Yes- this used to be a great magazine...before there were 700+ channels.  This magazine would have to weigh 10 pounds to keep up with all the current programming/channels.  Save yourself a few dollars a month and click 'guide' on your remote.  Or, pick up a newspaper!

to expensive and the comercials tell you constantly whats on

from Hubbard, OH

Comments about TV Guide:

Too much money for the dumb content. you can get it all thecontent  on tv comercials and news an reality tv shows. just another throw away to clutter the house and the enviornment. far too many ads and it is just a waste of my time and money. i can get all i need on heir web sights without the xtra  cost and litter.

Why is this called "TV Guide", where are the listings?!?

from Omaha, NE

Comments about TV Guide:

Why anyone would subscribe to this is beyond me.  It is nothing but a celebrity gossip magazine.  Where are all the listings?  Half of the local ones are not there, it shows channels I don't even have in my area.  There are no daytime listings, no listings after 10 pm for heavens sake.  No movie descriptions to speak of. I have written and complained to them more than once, but to no avail.  No changes have been made since they came out with this disastrous "full sized" magazine.  The only thing this is good for is to see if a program (only between 7 pm and 10 pm) is a rerun!  Wow, that's really worth the money they charge, isn't it!  They better see the light if they want subscribers.  A shameful shadow of it's former self!

Why am I even getting it?

from Woodbury, TN

Comments about TV Guide:

I didn't even subscribe, but I get it. There are very few telelvision listings, but a whole crapload of articles, some good, some not. Unfortunately, I know almost everything that happens before I watch my shows now. Why should I watch the show if I know ahead of time? And I get one twice a week. What's up with that. I wish they would just quit sending it. Can't wait til the subscription runs out. Did make for a good binder covers when it had High School Musical on it, for my daughter. The rest get tossed.

You don't get what you pay for.

from Panorama City, CA

Comments about TV Guide:

I have read the original TV Guide magazine from several years ago avidly.  I waited quite some time  for the new look to take place and purchased several of these magazines hoping for it's "new look" to also have a great addition of change.  Unfortunatley, there was none.While the magazine changed from a small little magazine to a big one full of color and zillions of pictures, articles and bits to boot, the appearance was great.  The articles were  well-written, and some were fun.  Others contained tons of gossip, and others were more information than you really want to know, similar to a tabloid.   The photos were fantabulous. But there was one thing missing...The main purpose of the magazine was originally to list television shows, giving a brief description as to what time they air, as well as what they are about-so you would know what you were watching.   You no longer get that.  Instead, a list is all you pretty much get.  Very little is given to you about what  a movie is about, so you will know if you do or do not like it.  Odd that they rate it, though.  As for cable channels, not all are listed.  There is NO listing for night owls, or weekenders, either.   Once in awhile, I pull one from the shelf to see if there are any changes, but sorry, no change.  I thought it was supposed to be a TV GUIDE?

LOVE IT!

from Watervliet, NY

Comments about TV Guide:

I have been a subscriber for years, since before it was the larger magazine size.  I love reading up on my favorite celebrities and I especially love the Cheers and Jeers section, it's always dead on.  My favorite part I have to admit though is the crossword puzzle and sudoku puzzles at the end.

not what it used to be

from Jersey Shore, PA

Comments about TV Guide:

I used to enjoy sitting down to read the tv guide. Yes I said read the tv guide. I enjoyed the articles and I always knew what was on when. The articles are still ok, but you cant ever find out what is on tv, especially for the daytime. I remember I couldn't even find out what time the macys thanksgiving parade was on. I have learned that it is much easier to look on the tv guide channel but with that you cant look ahead for planning. You used to know a week in advance and now you are lucky if you know an hour in advance. Yes I miss the way it was, the old tv guide.