2.6

2.6

Pros

Cons

• Product Variety:

This is an easier trading website, you have more flexiblitiy.

I researched some of the other trading websites along with TD Ameritrade and found that TD was the best choice for me.  They gave me more flexiblity to start investing in what I wanted right away.  Many of the other sites have stipualtions and rules about get started.

I quit! I finally ran out of patience for these guys

I held four accounts at TDAmertrade, which I had originally opened several years ago at TD Waterhouse before the merger with Ameritrade. Over the years, they have lost my cost basis information on several investments, sold my email address to spammers at least twice, and steadily increased their margin interest rates to be among the highest in the industry. Last month they moved assets between two of my account without my consent nor prior notification. Their compliance dept declined to fix the problem and also declined to explain just how and why it had occurred. Fortunately my local agent was able to help me resolve this mess, although it took several phone calls. He continues to insist that they did nothing wrong, and refuses to document the incident. Frankly I don't care any more. I'm moving my accounts to a different broker.

Save Your $$$...Go Somewhere Else!!!

from Arlington, VA

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

Don't waste your time or money. Losing portfolio, decided to change to another brokerage, cost 50% of the portfolio to sell, then they kept $75 because I was transferring to another brokerage.

BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES!!!

Pass on TD Ameritrade

from Nevada

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

TD Ameritrade froze my funds on an incoming ACH cash transfer from my credit union to TD Ameritrade for 3 business days. It does NOT take 3 business days for an automated ACH transfer to "clear". In fact, other ACH transfers involving other institutions have always cleared THE SAME DAY.

Later, when my account was finally "unfrozen" by TD Ameritrade, I wanted to transfer some cash from TD Ameritrade back to my credit union. TD Ameritrade deducted the cash from my account (which cash had already met the unreasonable "hold" requirement), but then delayed transfering those funds to my credit union. In other words, TD Ameritrade took the money from my account, but then then held up the outgoing transfer. It's worth repeating: after TD Ameritrade had already deducted the cash funds from my account (over which they had 100% control), they then further delayed transferring it to my credit union. Why do they treat customers this way?

Conclusion: TD Ameritrade applies unreasonably long holding periods and makes it incredibly difficult for customers to withdraw their cash funds from a TD Ameritrade account. You might want to consider doing business with someone else.

TD Ameritrade Great for New Online Traders

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

TD Ameritrade made it easy for a beginner like me to create an account, log in, fund your account and start trading. One of the trading platforms they offer, ThinkorSwim is very user friendly that has charts and one-click trading. They made it really easy for me to get started and their site is easy to use. Although it seems that I've profited with my trading, all the fees and costs and my account is basically at the same point it was when I started. They do offer training and advice that I should probably use so I wouldn't feel like I'm just treading water. I don't have any point of comparison, but the tools offered on Ameritrade makes online trading easy for a novice such as myself.

Customer Service
I've only had to use the customer service once and that was to verify if a trade was completed because of an issue with their platform. The client service representative was very helpful, but I waited on hold for what was literally fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes on hold feels like an hour. I don't mind waiting a few minutes as long as the representative is helpful, but the hold time was extravagant.

Product Variety
You can buy and sell anything and everything. There are other trading options that I don't understand how to use yet and may never will. I would say the products availability are excellent.

It's very easy to use so a beginner can get on and start trading right away. Their tools make me feel smarter and more knowledgeable than I really am.

Trades are reasonably priced

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

I used TD Ameritrade as my primary broker for about two years because the cost of trades is pretty reasonable, especially if they are large amounts. However, there are some other fees associated with accounts that cut back on the value of the company. The customer service is average at best, and I've gotten much better from other companies.

• Product Variety:

TD Ameritrade is a very good brokerage service

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

I've been with TD Ameritrade for several years. They have excellent customer service, and I've never had any problems. I wish they charged less per trade. They bought out Think or Swim brokerage a few years ago, so you have access to those charts, and Prophet Charts, which offer a lot, but I personally find them complicated. They do offer help with TOS. There are also live charting sessions going on during the day on the Think of Swim Platform, which I've found to be very interesting. You can watch and listen, or sign in and post, too. On the TD Ameritrade side, they offer several different chart platforms.

Customer Service
Excellent customer service. They respond to emails promptly, and when I've called and spoke to a customer service representative, they were patient, helpful, and answered my questions to my satisfaction.

Product Variety
They offer all of the typical vehicles of trading....stocks, futures, etc., however, they don't let your do short sales on ETF's which I consider to be a drawback. There are times that they won't have shares of certain stocks available to short.

Excessive Fee's

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

I had an IRA with TDAmeritrade for 2 years and didn't do any trading because of market conditions. I just moved my money to get a stable interest rate. I made $15.67 in interest on $70K and they charged me $75 to transfer my money out. VERY BAD COMPANY. Never do business with them.

Horrible!

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

Terrible customer service. Long hold times on phone and never the same rep.

Customer Service
Trying to settle my mother's estate and jumping through hoops setting up beneficiary IRA, I find company to be completely uncooperative. They set up every roadblock they could think of. Every time they told me I needed just one more document, the next day it would be something new. Another document. Another notarized letter. Still trying to get a measly $38,000 of my mother's money three months later. Still no money. Oh...and at least 30 minutes on hold every time. Never the same rep. Horrible. Never again.

• Product Variety:

These thieves are holding my stock hostage

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

DO NOT DEAL WITH TD AMERITRADE! TD Ameritrade won't allow me to transfer my stock out of a standard brokerage account unless I pay a $75 fee to them. I have tried for months to get the client agreement and rules sent to me, but they will not provide information about the fees and minimums in writing and the information cannot be found on their website. If you want to be able to manage the assets in your brokerage account, then find any other broker.

• Product Variety:

The keep the money for no reason

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

It has been more than one month that I submitted the withdrawal request. The brokerage firm refuse to send the money without any specific reason. They won't let me have my money back. They give different reasons at different times. I believe the employees are very incompetent (in the way of their favour). It was not the same as TOS, which I used 4 years ago.

Great broker...

Comments about TDAmeritrade:

Probably the best thing about TDAmeritrade is their research section, where you can get a lot of FREE and useful data, which you must pay by other brokers. Also their clients support desk is very kind.