1.8

1.8

Pros

Cons

• In-Flight Accommodations:

TACA is Getting Better All the Time...

Most airlines have a rather questionable reputation, and TACA is certainly no exception. No airline is perfect all the time. I think that some people though just have a negative image of TACA because they are a Central American airline and when things hiccup, they hiccup in unfamiliar airports in unfamiliar countries. Fearing the unknown is understandable, but it's really pretty easy to fly TACA.

I love traveling in Latin America though, and my experience with TACA has been nothing but good. They fly mostly **modern Airbus jets** and their **major hub** is San Salvador, El Salvador, which is actually one of the newest, most modern airports in Latin America --- it's not a place that's in any way uncomfortable to make a connection.

I can think of three very compelling reasons why you might want to give TACA a try...

* they often have some of the **cheapest airfares** into Latin America (saving money is its own reward)

* they have one of the strongest **route maps for Latin American** travel --- not just Central America either, because they have quite a few flights to South America as well (with secondary connections usually happening in Lima --- another modern, thoroughly excellent airport)

* they fly to and from a **LOT of U.S. cities**, so it's easy for a gringo to use TACA as a gateway to Latin America (U.S. destinations served by TACA include Chicago, Dallas, Houston, L.A., Miami, NYC, San Francisco, and Washington D.C.)

Cheap flights and convenient schedules. That alone should sway some folks, but there's other reasons to like TACA as well.

TACA gives you an excellent **flight experience**. Not only is their fleet made up primarily of Airbus A320s, but they have great in-flight service (including complimentary beer, wine, or margaritas on all flights). They're also reliable: they boast a 92% on-time record, so the *CHANCE* of having a late flight or a missed connection is far lower with TACA than it is with any U.S. flag carrier (according to D.O.T. statistics, U.S. carriers operating outside Hawaii run around 70-75% on time with the best performers being about 80% on time).

It's easy to **book a TACA flight**. Their flights are listed in most of the big travel web sites, and their own web site (www.taca.com) is quite easy to use, even for language-challenged gringos since it can be switched between English and Spanish. Not only that, but they put their special deals up front where its easy to spot them and snag some savings.

If you're thinking that a South of the Border vacation is right for you, take a look at TACA. I'll bet you like flying with them as much as I do. They're really very good.

Awful... Not worth the savings

My girlfriend and I were all ready for our 10 day trip to Belize from LAX. I had spent 2 months planning and had everything worked out, and (as is customary with travel in Belize), everything was prepaid. I showed up at the airport at 11:35 PM for our 1:55AM flight. After waiting for more than an hour with the hectic, over-crowded line barely moving, we complained that we were on pace to miss our flight, and they ended up moving us up in the line. Once we got up there, they started checking us in, and the told us that they had overbooked the flight and we could not get on. I cant even begin to tell you how angry this made me after having a confirmed flight fo almost 3 months, to show up for a 2AM flight and get bumped. Now, we are out $600 from a prepaid night at a hotel and a tour that we had planned. We are now scheduled to leave on the flight at 2 AM the next day, and all we got was two vouchers for an airline that we are never going to fly again. I will never understand how an airline can serially overbok, and get away with it, but TACA clearly has after reading multiple reviews... They didnt even ask for volunteers. I am sure some people wouldnt have minded an extra day in LA... Why not find out rather than bumping someone who cant do it... Horrible... Avoid at all costs!

First Flight for Both of Us

from Dallas, TX

Comments about TACA:

I flew Taca Airlines on my first ever trip out of the country. I was sixteen and headed to Costa Rica for a Spring Break study abroad experience. This was not my first time flying, but was my first time to leave the United States, so I really had no comparison or expectations for an international flight.
The airplane was small with little leg room, and the seats barely moved. The worst part was that smoking was still allowed on this flight. That may have changed since I flew Taca, but it was very off-putting at that time, especially since I am severely allergic to cigarette smoke.
The flight attendants were polite and professional but not overly accommodating. I think a small snack may have been served but nothing more.
The flight was quite bumpy and jerky with a takeoff and landing that made my insides spin.
The most memorable part was that we all started clapping once the flight landed. I presumed this to be a Latin American custom until the English translation played over the loudspeaker. We were congratulating the pilot on his first ever commercial flight...information that I would have liked to know prior to boarding!

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Takes me where I want to go

from united states

Comments about TACA:

Taca Airlines may not be as glamorous as Virgin but they offer quality service to a number of airports throughout Central America that I like to vacation to. The reason that I put up with United Airlines and US Airways is because they partner with Taca. That being said, you know how every time you take a United Airlines flight that it is going to be delayed or have some other standard travel related issue, the same is true with Taca. What can I say though, I am a sucker for the amazing variety of destinations that are available when flying with Taca, whether it is a smaller regional airport or a major international airport. With Taca Airlines being a discount airline, my miles go a lot farther when redeeming them. My vacations have become more easily attainable due to smart airline selection.

In-Flight Accommodations
The in-flight accommodations offered by TACA are on par with your average budget airline. I have enjoyed their food and beverage selection on a number of international flights.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Very poor in all aspects

Comments about TACA:

Very poor service, long waiting times, they overbooked our flight and the flight attendants are the rudest i have come across. The flight attendants occupied our overhead space with their own luggage. Would not recommend to anyone.

Service
Had to request a glass of water 3 times before being handed it over abruptly

TACA Airlines review

Comments about TACA:

I had a terrible experience with TACA on my way home from Peru. We had such a great trip, but the return trip was a nightmare. TACA representatives would not let us board our flight because there was "the possibility of a cancellation". What made this so unacceptable was that our flight and the following connecting flight were both on time and left without us as a result. They both arrived at their destinations as planned, and although we had tickets, TACA employees would not let us board our flights. Their idea of logic was that the final destination airport was closed at that time (a storm had just passed). However, the storm had already passed, and we were not due to arrive at our final destination for another twenty hours. The idea that JFK airport would have stayed closed for the next twenty hours after the storm passed was not even being floated in the media.
Our flights were never cancelled or delayed, and yet we were not allowed to board. In the end, TACA employees shoved a hotel voucher in front of us, switched staff members and called up the next customer, effectively pushing us aside. The result was that we were stranded for a week with others that had been displaced by the storm. The difference? Our flights were never actually delayed or cancelled. We watched them take off without us. TACA employees were both rude and unhelpful. At one point they refused to let me speak with a supervisor, despite my being quite polite and also despite the fact that I was negotiating all of this in my second language, Spanish). I will never fly TACA again, even if I have to pay double to fly with another airline.

In-Flight Accommodations
Was not allowed to board our flight home, so this relates only to our first leg of the trip.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Poor quality service, my suitcase unlocked, broken, items stolen

Comments about TACA:

staff irresponsible, no accurate answers after my personal items were stolen from my suitcase which arrived its destination two days later.
Round trip Miami Asuncion. July 29, 2012.

Service
very poor service, noone takes responsibility for lost property

uncomfortable,

TACA don't fly them!

Comments about TACA:

The TACA/Lifemiles frequent flier program is the worst in existence. I attempted to book a flight from Seattle to Lima, Peru using Lifemiles. It would be necessary for me to fly to LA at my expense to simply find out how many miles it would take to get this air award, if at all.

I have experience with almost every program in the USA and this is the worst. I will never fly with them until they change their policies

In-Flight Accommodations
there was no place to put not applicable

Garbage

Comments about TACA:

I have been a Taca customer for since 2005 after there merger with Avianca there service has very poor. Their frequent flyer program is horrid you are awarded a different number of miles each time you fly. You can book the exact same way and you will never be given the same mileage amount twice. You have to speak perfect Spanish when calling the call center or your treated like an idiot. I have been treated poorly by some moron in el salvador for the last time and as a gold member who has over 500k miles flown with will never fly them again. Use a USA based airline at least when your talking to a moron in the states they will understand you. Bye Taca keep running your business like this and I will fly on your planes after copa buys them

TACA is great!

from Mechanicsburg, PA

Comments about TACA:

Flew TACA from Wash-Dulles to Lima to Cusco. Flawless, helpful, friendly service on the ground and in the air. Will definitely use TACA for future service to South America! And they are now part of the Star Alliance!

Worst travel experience and airline in 40 years of travel

from Irvine, CA

Comments about TACA:

I had checked in online several hours before leaving for LAX for flt LR671/TA 7521 on 5/22. When I got dropped off at curbside, a Taca agent informed me that my flight had been cancelled and that I needed to get in a line to receive a "voucher" to get on the same flight 24 hours from now. The line had a couple hundred people (everyone booked on flt 671), and the agent said it would take at least an hour in line (this was now at midnight). I decided to call Taca and find out if this could be handled electronically like a normal airline. The phone agent could not tell me if the flight had been cancelled or not, nor what the contingency might be to get on another flight. I went home and the next day called my travel agent to inform him of the cancelled flight. He told me I might have to pay a re-booking fee. I called Taca again and they now said the flight had gone out, although independent flight trackers on the internet could not confirm flight 671 landing in San Salvador on 5/22. I asked Taca phone agent for a ticket refund, but he could not confirm the flight did not go out without talking to LAX personell , who were supposedly not yet on the job (now around noon on 5/23). Agent indicated he would call me back (so far several hours later and no call from Taca agent) after talking to LAX personnel. This is by far the worst airline I have dealt with in over 40 years of travel...so much for their dedication to customer service, as indicated on their web site.

Don't fly TACA

from Stockton, CA

Comments about TACA:

We had two TACA flights for our South America trip in March.

First flight was from Toronto to Lima connecting via Costa Rica where there was to be a change of plane. Imagine our surprise when we got off our flight from Toronto to be told that there was no more seats on the Costa Rica to Lima leg. Not good as we were suppose to leave Lima for Easter Island the next morning. The counter staff indicated that they had rescheduled all our flights to ensure we got to Easter Island but we should check with the staff when we got to Lima. That should have been our first clue because when we got to Lima, we discovered that nothing had been changed.

We were at the Lima Airport FOUR hours prior to departure for our second TACA flight. We were told it was already overbooked - what? Another day's delay. They put us into a cab, 45 min to Miraflores to a hotel that they had not confirmed availability with and we ended up at a hotel close to the airport.

While in South America, we also flew Pluno and Argentina Aerolinas. We had no problems with either airlines. We will go back to South America but not with TACA and if I have no other options, there are other places in the world to visit.