3.5
T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins

T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins

3.5

I love T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins. Now I can have them at home

The first time I ever had potato skins was at T.G.I. Friday's back when I was in college. My boss bought a platter of them, and I was hooked. Although I can make them now, and homemade are the best, I will always have a fond place in my heart for T.G.I. Friday's potato skins. It's kind of like McDonald's burgers. Not the best. But, there's just something about them. Have to splurge now and then.

I live in a really small town (think chicken at the gas station at best), so I do not often get to go to a T.G.I. Friday's. So, I was excited to see that they have some of their appetizers in the frozen food section at the grocery store. I stocked right up (they have a variety of offerings), and I got a few packs of the potato skins.

I really did not want to get my hopes up. It is hard to freeze potatoes and have them come out tasting anything like potatoes. Some veggies freeze well. Potatoes do not generally.

I pulled out a pack of these T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins one evening. The serving size is pretty skimpy. The box isn't real big though, so I wasn't expecting a whole lot of potato skins. There were seven small pieces total. That's 2 for each boys and 3 for me. Shhh. They usually get the lion's share. I snagged the odd potato in this case.

These were really very good. They do taste like the T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins. Naw. They aren't quite as great as the ones made right there, but they're pretty darn close. That's amazing with a frozen potato product. There are very few frozen potatoes that I will eat. These are on my list.

Perhaps I'm buying memories. I can't say for sure. The boys gobbled these up too, but they will eat most anything with cheese on top. My thoughts are that these are very good. They aren't homemade, but they don't take the time that it would take to make homemade either. I really liked them.

I was a little disappointed in T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins.

On football Sundays, my husband and I like to snack throughout the day.  Yesterday, we tried a product we've never tried before - T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins.  I've tried several varieties of T.G.I. Friday's frozen appetizers.  Some I have loved ([Buffalo Popcorn Chicken][1] ) and some have not been very good ([Mozzarella Sticks][2] ).  These potato skins fall somewhere in the middle - they're not great, but not horrible either.

A box of **T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins **includes about six mini potato quarters that are topped with a lump of mystery cheese and crumbled bacon.  The potatoes they used are not your regular potatoes, these were really small.  They cut their small potatoes in half and then in half again to make these.  When frozen, the mound of toppings is one lump of cheese and bacon.  The cheese looks fake and powdery, but somehow melts to turn into cheese.

What I liked about this appetizer is how the potato skins got crisp in my toaster oven.  That gave them a really good texture.  They do have good flavor, but not enough of it.  The toppings don't melt and spread over the potato skin, they kind of melt and stay in a little blob.  The bacon was real bacon, not fake or processed mystery meat that tasted like bacon.

The flavors of cheddar & bacon went really well together, but it got even better when we dipped the potato skins in some ranch that we happened to have on hand.  If we didn't have the ranch, I would probably be even more disappointed in these because they definitely taste like they need a little extra something.  Their texture was great, but flavor wise, they should insert a packet of something to dip these in.  Also, some chopped green onions would be a nice addition!

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/T-G-I-Fridays-Buffalo-Popcorn-Chicken-review-328f0
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/T-G-I-Fridays-Mozzarella-Sticks-review-aa578

Where is the cheese?

from Minneapolis,MN

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

I don't know why the recipe was changed from cheese to fake spread cheese, but I do know I will make my own from now on. The original was a good quick treat for guests. This is a quick snack on a average level. Please go back to Cheese

Ok, homemade is better!

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

My boyfriend and I had some of these T.F.I. Friday's Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skins while we watched the Super Bowl. We had made potato skins like this ourselves before but wanted something quick for this occasion. They are pretty good for a quick snack but we had some issues with them. The amount of toppings was not consistent and that was disappointing. One of the potato skins did not even feature any toppings! Others had a meager amount of toppings. I was impressed though that they had real bacon on them and not some fake type of bacon. Another issue that we had was that these potato skins are so small. We decided that we will definitely make our own in the future.

Shame for ruining my game

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

For some reason I often cook up a bunch of snacks for the current seasonal game that is coming on. ( I cook but don't watch sports). I spotted these in the store and wondered if they were like the real thing. On one of their football Sundays I decided to switch up on some of the snacks. Putting these out for the guys were initially well received. A few minutes later - they are asking " what's wrong with these". Completely puzzled I try one. Here's the problem: They are mainly the same as restaurant styled potato skins but, they are factory processed. They taste a bit more processed, maybe they have been sitting in the frozen section too long and are not made fresh from the restaurant. Also, they cost a bit too much for the portion and quality they provide. Overall, they were not bad. I would try them again - at the restaurant.

Better off making your own!

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

I was really disappointed with T.G.I Friday's Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skins. I've gotten them in the restaurant before and they were always good. I feel the frozen boxed version just ruins them. The texture was totally off! The potatoes were chewy and didn't heat evenly. The cheese didn't melt properly and it was just a total mess! I would never buy them frozen ever again.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

We love T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins! Even though they are from the freezer, they taste just like they do when you order them at the T.G.I Friday's restaurants! Just dip them in a little ranch or sour cream to add extra flavor, and you will feel like a waitress just delivered them to your table!

Potato Skins

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

The Potato skins are simply amazing! I would tell anyone to try them! They are a combination of potato flavors as well as a little bit of bacon! I love the combinations put together. I like to also add ranch to them and it makes it ten times better! T.G.I Fridays is a great food chain and i have never had a bad experience with them. If I was able to right now I would go there and eat. :) Anyone who likes potato skins you would love to try this!

Perfect Snack Any Time

from Nashville, TN

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

The biggest disappointment with these Bacon & Cheddar Potato Skins is their cost. On the bright side there are a couple of different sizes to choose from. Even despite the price I buy them because they are so good.

No, they do not taste as good as what you find at the TGI Friday restaurant, but they are pretty close. The bacon and cheese melt so well and they taste great. Even the small packages contain several potatoes so you are sure to hit the munchies that you are having.

Another complaint that I have - sometimes the cheese and the bacon falls off and sometimes it is proportioned on the potatoes right, so they do not cook right if you are not careful. A minor setback for a delicious treat.

The potatoes are easy to make and take just a few minutes of time in the oven. Kids love them just as much as adults. They taste great and can provide you with a filling, easy to make snack any time that you want it.

Frozen potato skins with cheddar cheese and bacon.

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar and Bacon Potato Skins are a frozen appetizer that leave quite a lot to be desired. They taste okay, but they are dry and crumbly, while somehow still being super greasy. These are not an item my family will purchase again. Very disappointing!

If only they were as good as the restaurant ones

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

These potato skins are quite delicious. Prepared in the correct way, even these frozen varieties can be a wholesome and deliciously cheesy experience just waiting to happen. Sadly, the in store version of this dish is so good that these are quite pale in comparison.

Restaurant Brand Appetizers

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about T.G.I. Friday's Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins:

As were are a family on a budget, I am always to save my family money while still bringing good-tasting food home. I was very excited to try these as appetizers as we have always enjoyed them in the restaurant, and they are much cheaper to buy them from the grocery store ( I must add that I waited until my local grocery store had these on sale as well). The skins smelled wonderful as they were baking and we anxiously awaited for them. Upon taking them from the oven I could sense that my initial impression might be wrong. The skins had an unappetizing brownish color to them. You could not distinguish between the bacon bits, the cheese, and the actual skin. Still, we delved into them. Upon our first bites we realized that their taste was rather unappetizing as well. Not bad, just blah. The bacon and cheese on the restaurant skins was much more flavorful. The frozen ones were just average. I have subsequently found that many of the off-brand or store varieties have a better taste and a better price tag!