4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

Make the bad PC stuff go away-Norton got Leaner and Meaner

When I was a computer repair tech,  I advised my customers to NOT buy Norton Internet Security and/or anti-virus. Why?  Glad you asked!  Prior to the 2009 incarnation Norton was the fat guy who strolled into your house, took up four seats at the table and ate all the turkey, plus all the dressing, then puked on your Persian Rug. You had only invited him because you thought you needed him there.  Don't get me wrong, Norton Internet Security has always done a fine job of protecting PCs.  It's just that Symantec had written a program that hogged resources like an average basketball player who thinks he's Lebron James hogs the ball.  It slowed your PC down like a Denver Boot would slow down a Mazarati.  You get my drift.  Norton got the job done, but while making your computer appear to crawl instead of run.  Even worse, trying to uninstall the thing was like trying to get your mother-in-law to leave after a two day visit when she had her mind set on a week.

Not so anymore.  With the release of Norton Internet Security 2009, someone at Symantec got the hint and streamlined everything about the program while retaining its status as a premier protector of your PC. The 2010 version performs just as well.  And Symantec targets a mainstream audience (translated-average computer-user who has little idea about what makes their system work), with an interface that's simple yet can be turned complex for power users.  In other words, most folks can happily accept the default settings once the program is installed while geeks can find lots of little slider bars to fine tune things.

**Norton Internet Security Suite 2010** does lots of things and does most of them well.  I'll hit the the hightlights.  Now, one of the best things about a security suite is it gives you anti-virus, spam and malware protection along with a software firewall.  Norton throws in some nice parental controls that are web-based, as well.

**INSTALLATION:**  This was a breeze.  I simply downloaded the program from Symantec's web site, ran it and had it up and running within 5 minutes.  With previous versions it seemed like I needed a shave again before installation was complete.  Again, with most users, default settings will work fine and protect your computer from all sorts of nasty stuff.  The installation routine will set up the anti-virus program, firewall, and malware protection with just a few clicks and I dare say you don't really have to understand how it works very well to get this going.  It will check for updates automatically and inform you.

**INTERFACE:  **Uncluttered and easy to read, Norton's latest graphical interface gives you the information you need.  It tells you if your system is secure, the percentage of your CPU resources the program is using, the status of all your key settings.  With a few clicks of the mouse you can get as much or as little information as you want all the way from minute detail to general information.  Flip that screen around and you get some useful performance data.

**PROTECTION:**  **Norton Internet Security 2010 **protects your computer from a wide array of viruses, malware (spy-ware, ad-ware), trojan horses and other nasty stuff.   And it incorporates more than one method. Since cyber-fiends are constantly employing new methods to infiltrate computers, (Malware is no longer simply the play toy of teenage hackers looking to goof on people.  No sir.  Maleware is a for-profit big business and these people spend lots of time trying to figure out new ways to get control of and steal info from your web sites and computers) Symantec has taken a new tack they call "Quorum" which draws on the millions of files they have collected to determine which ones are ok and which ones are not. In theory, this method singles out new and unique files and examines them for male-ware.  This is in contrast to older methods of identifying threats based on known-behavior patterns.  The idea is, if you download maleware despite all your precautions, Norton will catch it.   At any rate, when tested by AV-test.org, a highly respected German firm that spends all its time testing these type of programs as well as identifying viruses and such, Norton Internet Security 2010 caught 99.14% of maleware from about half a million samples with no false positives.  Not too shabby, especially since the program doesn't exist that catches 100%.   And this brings to mind a good point.  Don't use just Norton.  Don't use another anti-virus program with Norton because two AV programs can't co-exist on your system.  It's like locking Republicans and Democrats in the same room and asking them to get anything done.  I suggest using the excellent **Anti-Malwarebytes** program as well.  It's free and readily available from Download.com.

**Norton Internet Security **also provides an easy to use software firewall (if you have a decent hardware router, it probably has a firewall, but, most experts recommend a software firewall as well for double-layer protection).  One caveat is Norton will automatically turn off Window's firewall on install and without telling you it is doing so.  I don't care for this, but its really not that big of a deal.  Just know this and turn it back on if you want it running.  Of course a good firewall is necessary for keeping hackers from hitting your PC with web-based attacks and allows known good programs to access the internet, stops bad ones from doing so and keeps an eye on questionable ones.

And we've all heard about phishing, where someone sends out poison links in email or plants them on web sites where unsuspecting and unlucky web travellers click on them and unleash all kinds of badness on their poor little PC.  Usually these are privacy thieving little programs that try to direct you to fake web sites and download key-loggers that monitor your keystrokes to try and steal personal information.  Internet Security 2010 protects you by installing a toolbar on Internet Explorer and Firefox that pops up icons to alert you whether a web site, based on all the known data, is safe, suspicious or unsafe.  It can also help protect your privacy when you shop with Identity Safe, which will store and manage all your passwords for you, if you desire. It also has a feature to store these online and make them accessible from any computer as long as you have the master password.  Your data is encrypted and safe from prying eyes.

If you use Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express, Norton also provides a nice little anti-spam program.  I use web-based email and haven't tested this part of the program.

**THE BOTTOM LINE**

Free of its past resource hogging ways, Norton Internet Security is as good an all-in-one protective resource as you will find. And using PC on the internet without a firewall, anti-virus, and anti-malware solution is like leaving your home with the door and windows unlocked, then posting a sign in the yard that says, "Nobody's home. Come on in and take whatever you want!"  Norton does have many competitors and doesn't do all things as well as some of them.  But then, that's true of the competitors, too.  The key here is Norton does an excellent, if not perfect job at all of the tasks it performs.  At 69 bucks for a 1-user, 3-PC license, it definately is not the cheapest solution, but it is one of the best and easiest to use.  It also is, like virtually all other such programs, subscription based, which means you have to renew annually for an additional fee.

The ease of use will please everyday people who just check email and surf the web and yet the potential to fine tune and tweak virtually every little setting will please the geeks and we quasi-geeks.  There are adequate free programs like AVG Anti-Virus, Zone Alarm and Comodo Firewalls and AdAware that will do a credible job, but if you want top-notch protection WITH technical support (which it free, by the way.  This wasn't always true of Norton) for all aspects of your computer and nice web-base parental controls (which I haven't used, so didn't review), the new and improved Norton Internet Security 2010 is a fine choice.  **GRADE: A-**

Got RAM? You'll need a lot of it to run this program!

I accepted the opportunity to install **Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 **in exchange for my honest opinion of the product. I had heard many great things about Norton and was eager to uninstall my Avast Free Antivirus product and install Norton. I installed Norton on my hp laptop and my Compaq desktop computer. Unfortunately, I ended up having to uninstall the product from my laptop computer due to slow processing.

*Installing the Product*

All that I needed to do to install the product was follow the steps given to me on the screen. I did run into a little problem at first because for some reason I couldn't reach the screen where I was supposed to insert my key code to activate the security. After a couple attempts, I was able to complete installation within a timely manner.

***The Good***

*** ***I was impressed with all the bells and whistles that Norton 2010 came with. Norton secures your computer from viruses, spy-ware, ad-ware, trojan horses and I'm sure many more things that I don't even know about. Once the system does a full system scan, the report is easy to read and understand. It explains what the scan has found and what action was taken. It found several high priority issues and I was relieved to see that they were caught and either removed or quarantined.

***The Bad***

My laptop computer slowed considerably after the installation and I wasn't able to connect to websites without waiting for an extended period of time. Sometimes I had to restart my laptop in order to get out of where I was stuck. I thought at the time that it was only due to system scans being performed at the same time but after having Norton installed for about a week, I realized that it didn't matter when I tried to connect to websites. I just simply couldn't get there without a much extended wait time. After about the second week, I was so frustrated that I uninstalled **Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010** from my laptop and reinstalled the free version of Avast Antivirus and my system is now running very smoothly and quite fast. Apparently only having 1.00 GB of RAM is not sufficient to allow Norton to do all that it is capable of.

I really don't know much about the way computers run but here are **my laptop computer statistics **so that you may be able to better understand what I'm using and make your own determination if yours may experience the same issues that mine did.

- Windows Edition: Windows Vista Home Basic

- MFR: Hewlett-Packard

- Model: HP Pavillion dv6000

- Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 440 @ 1.86GHz

- Memory (RAM): 1.00 GB

- System Type: 32 bit Operating System

I still have Norton installed in my desktop computer that has 2.00 GB of RAM and although it has slowed the processing time some, because it has a higher RAM, it is bearable. Not fast, but we are able to tolerate it. My **desktop computer stats** are as follows*:*

- Windows Edition: Windows XP Home Edition

- MFR: Hewlett-Packard Co.

- Model: Compaq Presario

- Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 3400+ 2.19GHz

- Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

***My Final Viewpoint***

**Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 **is a quality product and I do believe that my computers are safe and very secure when it is installed. My main issue is that it slowed my processing time so much that it became TOO much. It appears that Norton is designed for computers with a much larger memory capacity than what I have on my laptop. I would recommend it if you have a computer with a lot of ram that could handle it. From my experience, I can only give it a ***3 star rating. ***

Norton Anti-virus

from Pflugerville, TX

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

It was very easy to install, works quickly at finding viruses and spyware and was able to rid my computer of all threats.  I would definitely buy the product.

Detection Rate
It runs everyday and finds any virus's or spyware that is trying to invade my computer

Very easy to use, once installed you set how often to scan your computer and do upgrades and after that it does everything for you

Scan Speed
It works quickly and does not interfere with my work

Availability of Updates
Frequently does updates without bothering you

Compatibility
works very well on my computers

• Compatibility:

Terrific software but consumes too much memory

from Hillsboro, OR

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

How can you go wrong with a Norton product?  Like many, I consider Norton products to be at the top, if not the best, protection I could get for my laptop.  It was fairly easy to install, the menu and design looked great and easy to understand.  And I feel confident using it to protect my laptop from malicious software (viruses/malware/etc) when I'm connected to the net and browsing.  BUT, this software uses A LOT of memory, and slows my computer down considerably. This might be a non-issue if you have a lot of DIMM memory.  I still consider it a great program - if your computer is equipped to handle it.

• Compatibility:

It s simply the best there is.

from La Place, LA

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

Norton Internet security 2010, is just simply the best there is. I do not have to worry about anything. They take care of everything for me. It is so good to depend on something that really works today.

Detection Rate
I am notified at once at the least detection of any thing that looks supsucious.

Extremely easy!

Scan Speed
It did not take very long at all. It really was very quick.

Availability of Updates
The updates are done automatically.

Works like a charm.

• Compatibility:

Norton keeps my computer safe from threats and virus

from Asheville, NC

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

**I really like the way Symantec Norton Internet security 2010 works. Very easy to install. Easy set up guide me right  through what I need to do. If I need help I could go online and chat with symantec support. Are I can go online and set up a appointment to have symantec support call me. They have a great online support. I like that all the features are preset to defaults. If I don't want to I don't have to touch them again. If I want to I can customize some of the programs. All the different options that come with the Norton internet security give me a detailed description of what they do. Knowing that norton internet security 2010 blocks internet threats before they infect my computer is very good thing. The information you receive is easy to understand, help me to avoid future threats. I just found out Norton internet security 2010 allow me to automatically block annoying banner ads and pop up windows. People that have children can use the parental site restricting access to specific wed sites. You have so many things that norton internet security 2010 covers insight protection, anti virus, anti spyware, intrusion prevention, e-mail protection, browser protection, safe surfing, that just a few of them. So far I have been really happy with Norton internet security. 2010 I helps keep my computer safe.**

Detection Rate
Still using Norton detection is very good

very easy to use

Scan Speed
Scan speed is faster then it use to be

updates come on time

Compatibility
work great with my computer

Defense shield is ok

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

I think that the Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 is a software that doesn't protect your computer in a full way. However, the installation was very simple, it stops viruses and attacks to your pc, they have round the clock pc security. In addition, they prove their reputation each product by constantly updating their virus files, it has user-friendly prefrences, very quick scans, and doesn't effect the internet browsing , (loading)

Some of the cons are that it needs annual renewal, the price is pricey, and sometimes it slows the computer down, it has way too many options that can lead to a lot of confusion, it should not have consumed so much space, either.  The engine performance isn't the best, and also te scan rate (scanning time) is pretty slow. In addition, when you open your computer or laptop, you get a huge load of pop ups and updates and idle time scans, etc.

Availability of Updates
There are a variety of updates, but some repeat.

Its really slow.

Security for my computer by the Norton 2010 Software

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

The new Norton Security Software is just what I needed.  I have tried others and really have not been satisfied with the way they work.  Norton does not slow down my computer and it makes sure that my computer is free from viruses.  I am very satisfied with the product and I believe it is the best choice for security software around.  I want to place this software on my sons computer because he is a teenager.  My son is always downloading things to his computer and later to find out he has a virus,  My son plays many internet games and he also has a gming system.  He plays his system live and I know that he is always on the internet.  The Norton software is just what I needed to be on my computer to give me more security and a virus free pc.  I was able to get a free subscription to another virus software through my internet provider, but I really did not like the software.  Before I received the Norton software I was definitly in the market for a security software.  There are so many softwares out there on the market aand they all claim to do the same thing.  Some may claim to do a little bit more than another, but it can be confusing.  I am glad I was able to get the Norton software it really made my decision easy and it really has eased my mind.

Safe and Secure

from Trumbull, CT

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

This program is very easy to install. Once it is on it updates and scans with out you even having to ask. It keeps your computer up and runnning beautifully with no annoying pop ups. You will see it running quietly in the background as it does it safety checks. It doesn't interfer with what you are doing. This system allows you freedom. While I've noticed some other programs are always popping up and blocking this and that program does not do that. It will only warn you when the a virus is real - I had one attached to something someone had sent me. I was grateful for the warning and didn't open it so my computer was saved.

Norton is a trusted name and with the new version I feel just as safe as ever. I like the idea that you can just install this directly from the website.

I have no complaints about this version of Norton and would say buy it it to everyone who asks.

• Compatibility:

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 offers the best security.

from Eureka, MO

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

I am very impressed with Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010.  It was very quick and easy to install.  It has not caused any problems for me or slowed down my computer.  I don't even have to think about it and protecting my computer.  It is automatically set up to run scans, check websites, etc..  So, all I have to worry about is surfing the web and I know that whatever sites or pages I access, my computer will be safe and protected.

I have several friends who use numerous "free" security downloads.  However, many of them have had viruses get through and other computer issues.  I have not had any security breaches or problems with my computer.  Even my IT person at work agreed that Symantec Norton Internet Security really does a great job of protecting computers.  I think Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 is worth the small price you pay in order to make sure you never have to worry about your computer and information being safe.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone who uses the internet on a regular basis.  It is a proven and tested product that you can trust.

Smooth Download

from East Bernard, TX

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

Got the Norton 2010 testers email so decided to give it a try. Downloaded very smoothly and installed on a clean operating system (WIN2007 Beta) with no hangups, except it didn't want to play with my AVG installation. OK, next downloaded on a system with WIN 2007 standard, once again easy installation. Only irritating thing is the scan speed. Otherwise well worth the price. (I got it free for a year)

Approx. 3 weeks after the first paragraph my system is running smoothly and Norton seems to be intercepting anything bad coming my way. All in all seems like a pretty good virus scanner in line with Nortons great reputation. (Been using Norton products since the old Commodore Colts in the '80s)

Been using for approx. 2 years now (purchased subscription extensions) and run it on my four laptops with no problems.

Detection Rate
No problems with detecting trogans or embedded viruses

easy one click button use, autoupdating

Scan Speed
I have a large harddrive with lots of files. Takes quite a bit of time for full scans, good speed on surface scans.

Availability of Updates
checks oftens and I'm set to auto-upgrades and definition renewals

Compatibility
plays well with all my currently installed programs

• Compatibility:

Norton SECURITY is just about perfect!

from Chazy, NY

Comments about Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010:

As a former PC user, I am well aware of McAfee and Norton virus protectors. I downloaded the newest Norton Security 2010 on my mothers PC and she could tell an immediate difference with the amount of viruses NOT showing up on her computer. She had used other security protectors for years but is extremely pleased with Norton 2010. It was easy to install...just follow the directions and her computer runs as fast now as it did before the installation. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who needs to either renew or buy for the first time a security internet protector.

I do believe in paying for quality and so I wouldn't be put off by annual renewals or the price. You do get what you pay for.

Overall, 5 stars! Highly recommended to all.

Detection Rate
I think that the detection rate is good although since installing this on my mother's computer, she has had more problems with downloading anything and also it just shutting itself off.

I still like Norton 2010 and so does my mom.

Scan Speed
It is a very quick scanning program.

Availability of Updates
Updates are always available and I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing but THEY ARE AVAILABLE.