3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

Comes FREE with AT&T Yahoo

*Note added to top: AT&T Yahoo now uses McAfee as their free anti-virus program.*

*My first Gateway P/C back in 2002 (I think) came with a...Read complete review

*My first Gateway P/C back in 2002 (I think) came with a 90 subscription to **Norton** **AntiVirus**.  After that, I had to either buy it on my own or find another company.  After browsing their web site (Symantec), I decided not only to renew the 90 day subscription, but upgrade to Norton SystemWorks. (See separate review under [Symantec SystemWorks][1] )*

*In all the years of using Symantec products, I've never had a virus, or worm get through.  It's blocked them all.  But...be sure to have automatic updates turned on, and run it manually from time to time - just to make sure.*

*Once and only once did I try another product.  It was when I first switched to AT&T Yahoo and their free anti-virus program was through Computer Associates.  Terrible.  I went back to **Norton AntiVirus**.  Since then, AT&T Yahoo has even made the switch.  *

*Nothing beats FREE!  AT&T Yahoo now offers a free Norton Protection Center which comes with a firewall, Intrusion Protection, Spyware Protection and, of course, Norton AntiVirus.  It scans incoming & outgoing mail, scans any floppy or removable drives when inserted, and automatically protects from Internet threats.  *

*You want to protect your P/C and any sensitive files it may contain?  Get your P/C protection from **Symantec.** *

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Symantec-SystemWorks-2008-Basic-Edition-for-PC-12813835-review-dd572

Norton is not a product I would EVER buy

I have used Norton and they make it impossible to remove it from your computer without going into the registry.  That is not something I would EVER do.  So once you put it on your computer, you are stuck with it unless you take it into a tech shop or have a techie friend who you trust do it.

Norton also is behind, usually three to five days, other virus protection programs in getting out the newest virus protection updates so you could already have the newest virus on your computer before Norton gets around to protecting you.  Not much protection there in my humble opinion.

Look for other protection software -- don't spend your money on a software program that is consistently behind on their updates and makes it next to impossible to remove.

Exceptional Product, Service and Support!

from New Orleans, LA

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

I'm a Computer Support Professional and research many new Security Products. I often recomend Security Produces to my Clients and Friends. Without a doubt, Symantec has proven over the Years to be more Reliable and Value oriented. The whole Symantec Line of Products has been easy to use and understand. Also, they provide outstanding Service and Support

Works great.

from Vero Beach, FL

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

This product is easy to use and easy to install.  Works great.  Don't worry about spyware, or being hacked.  Don't have to worry about hackers getting into email, or stealing information.  I really like this software.  It also comes with support, which is very handy.

Comes FREE with AT&T Yahoo

from Saint Louis, MO

Norton has been great

from Howard Lake, MN

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

Norton Antivirus is a software I highly recommend to anyone with a personal computer. It has never given us a problem. You do have to be careful if you purchase it online because people may have already used the code on their computer. It is easy to install on your computer. It gives you all the information that you need to install it. It does a great job of protecting your personal information on your computer. It is a must these days with all the people that are trying to hack your computer and are creating viruses. It's worth your money because it would be maddening if you got a virus on your computer and you would have to pay more to get rid of it and fix your computer. You can find good deals on Norton Antivirus Software on Ebay or other computer places. It can be found at most computer or electronic stores. It will help you be worry free when it comes to your personal information and files on your computer.

Never had a Virus with Norton!

from Beaver Dam, WI

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

We have had Norton Antivirus since we first got a computer in 2004 and we have never had any problems with it.  One time it did find a virus and it was able to safely remove it.  I like that you can do a safe search and norton will tell you what websites are safe to access and what ones to avoid.  You never know what is out there online and it's worth the peace of mind to pay extra for Norton because it really does work.  We have free antivirus software where I work and we have gotten worms and a virus there, proving that you really do get what you pay for.  Norton has the live update feature so you are always current on the latest virus blockers.  It's easy to install and you just have to renew it annually and enter a product code.  You are able to use this product code on more then one computer so our laptop is also protected.  Norton is one of the oldest antivirus companies out there and it's still going strong for a reason.

awesome works perfectly protects my laptop

from Fremont, CA

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

i always use norton antivirus it works perfectly and blocks all viruses and tells me about websites that have viruses and has reveiws on the websites. i will always pay for this high of quality. its the number one antivirus protection product.

I think that Norton Antivirus is a good product that works.

from Farmington, UT

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

I think that this product is nice.  We got it to try for free and it is nice to have something to protect from all the crap out there that is on the internet trying to put viruses and bugs on your computer.  So far we haven't had any problems so I can't really say much negative.  It was easy to install and it works just like it should.  Just like you would want a virus program to work.

Consistent and conprehensive protection.

from Columbia City, IN

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

This is a great system, so far. We have had symantec security products before, but not on a laptop. The scans and preventative measures it runs are virtually un-noticeable.  We have not noticed any disruptions, even when lenghty scans are in progress. the most we have had to do for its efficacy is to restart, after the initial installation and entire scan.

In addition, the prior security software we had been usingwas invasive, in that it constantly had pop-ups that could not be blocked, and once it expired it was very difficult to uninstall. Norton took two trys to install, and I'm still not sure why..maybe has something to so with it being a free dowload. We are much more satisfied with the Norton system, and it is also protects more elements than our prio one. I would reccomend this to anyone.

Norton 2010 is far better that its predecessors

from Bellevue, WA

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

Initially I was a bit reluctant to install the one-year-free subscription of Norton 2010 that I received from Viewpoints sampling through a survey. This was due to my past experiences with Norton antivirus products which considerably slowed down the performance of the pc. But I find 2010 to be much better and less bothering. Since I have frequent downloads of free and opensource software from the web, I need a solid internet security system, which I think I have now with Norton 2010. If Norton continues to give this quality, at the end of the year when my subscription expires, I will definitely pay to renew it.

It seems to be doing a good job of detecting tracking cookies

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Symantec Norton AntiVirus:

Norton was on my computer as a preview when I purchased it. I didn't start using it until this year when I got the full version. I was impressed by the immediate response of the number of tracking cookies on my computer. However, I was a little overwhelmed with the Norton Safe Search that suddenly popped up on my computer.