Other Mops & Brooms:
Swiffer Sweeper

Swiffer Sweeper

Pros

Cons

Does the job and does it well the Swiffer way

***Bottom-Line***: I am convinced that the **Swiffer Sweeper** is a very useful tool for everyday use, and it has become a permanent part of my kitchen cleaning crew.   Okay I'll admit it I am not the primary when it comes to cleaning in my household, but sometimes I find myself (grudgingly) in that noble position.  I remember when I was growing up my mother had a collection of mops and a tin pale from which she mopped the kitchen floor almost nightly.  But those days are long gone, thanks in part to products like the **Swiffer Sweeper**, which is part broom and part mop.

**Swiffer Sweeper (It's New and Improved) **The **Swiffer Sweeper** arrived in a small box.  The sweeper itself, which consists of a long aluminum handle and sweeper pad is handily broken down into a four segmented pieces that snap together without the need for tools.  Those familiar with fitting together a patio umbrella will be right at home assembling the **Swiffer Sweeper.  **From start to finish it took me less than a minute to pit together the unit.**  **The sweeper pad is where one attaches the Swiffer wet or dry cloths; two wet, and one dry pad shipped in the box.  Be forewarned the wet pads are indeed wet and not just damp.

*So What is New & Improved?*

The original Swiffer Sweeper was brought to market some seven years ago and was just a dry sweeper.  According to the manufacturer here are the improvements to the unit:

- Longer, stronger for more thorough cleaning;

- Soft, ergonomic handle grip for better control (it is more comfortable);

- Increased head size to allow more utilization of cloths;

- Dry cloths improved for better pickup;

- Wet cloths feature a new scrubby strip to break up tough spots;

You can use the **Swiffer Sweeper** to clean wood, ceramic tile, or vinyl floors or to clean walls and ceilings.

**My Viewpoint**

I decided to try the **Swiffer Sweeper** out on the ever dirty kitchen floor; I swear we can't seem to keep it clean, ever.  So first I attached the dry cloth and swept the floor.  The swivel head made getting to those hard to reach places almost effortless.  And oh yes the **Swiffer Sweeper** did an admirable of picking the plethora of cat hairs and crumbs that seem the take up residence on my kitchen floor.  The unit didn't do such a good job on large grains of dirt; those were pushed along or dragged and not readily picked up.  So it was out with conventional hand brush.

How did the **Swiffer Sweeper **do?**  **About as well as can be expected.  Stains?  Gone. Tough stains, though took a little work to get up, but with effort they too was vanquished.  Stains that had set in were another matter.  The wet cloths have a built in scrubber strip to help with those hard to remove food particles and coffee stains and for the most part it did the trick.  But there were some particles that refused to budge without judicious use of hand power; thankfully those were few and far between.

Total time tally from start to finish: about 10 minutes.  Nor bad since that time also includes assembly.

The** Swiffer Sweeper** is ideal for nightly cleaning chores thought the cost of the (wet) replacement clothes may give on pause.  I am convinced however that the **Swiffer Sweeper** is a very useful tool for everyday use, and it has become a permanent part of my kitchen cleaning crew.          *       *

The Swiffer Sweeper -- For Cleaning those kitchen or wood floors

My first Swiffer Sweeper came in a kit that included the Sweeper, 2 Dry Sweeping Cloths, and 2 Wet Mopping Cloths. Depending on the job that you are undertaking, you can choose to either do a mopping job, or a sweeping job, and the uses are intended to be quite varied. If it is something that you end up liking, they sell the wet wipes in 12, 24, and 48 count replacements. Likewise, they sell the dry cloth refills in 16, 32, and 64 count packages. The price goes up depending on how many you think that you need, and how often you want to put the Swiffer Sweeper into use. When you first open the package you see that the sweeper is broken down into 5 different pieces. The shaft of the sweeper is three metal piece of a silver color that snap easily into each other with a discernable "click". You then have an elongated green plastic handle that attaches to the top of the shaft, and of course the sweeper assembly that attaches to the bottom of the mop. When you have it all put together, it measures out to about 42 inches in length, which in my opinion is plenty of length to push around the sweeper with ease. When everything else is assembled, you take one of the cloths and fold it around the head of the sweeper. There are 4 holes on the top that grip the cloth and keep it in place while you are using it. A very easy assembly, and you can have everything ready to use, right out of the box, in about 2 minutes. With the Swiffer Sweeper, you use the wet cloths to clean up dust and works best on wood floors. On the opposite side you have the wet cloths that tend to work best on tile or ceramic surfaces in bathrooms, kitchens, or laundry rooms. Putting them to use, you find out right away that the Sweeper does work relatively well, but that it also has some limitations when it comes to getting the job done. One nice thing about the Sweeper, is that when you are pushing it around, the head can swivel around, and let you get to odd corners or nooks in your woodwork. This is a nice thing, but would be even nicer if I had the full faith that the Sweeper was going to get the job done. I recently wrote a review of what I thought about the wet cloths that come with this starter kit and are sold separately. I found that they worked well on your basic dust, hair, and fresh spills on the floors, but that they didn't do much beyond that. If something has been on the floor for a while, or if you are attacking a build up in an area like under the fridge or in an area frequented by family animals, you may get a little frustrated. One of the cloths will attract a lot of pet hair right away, and when it does that, you will end up pushing around a lot of the additional debris that you find on the floor. Also, when you come up against tougher stains/spots on the floor, this sweeper doesn't really hold up to pressure. When you try to push the sweeper hard, the handle starts to seem very flimsy, and won't work in the way that a sponge would on your hands and knees. This means that you end up with areas that the sweeper and its pads simply will not work. When it comes to using the Swiffer Sweeper on a normal wood or tile floor, and you are doing it very regularly, you may find that the Swiffer Sweeper is helpful. You may also find that you really enjoy its handle that has a grip, and the rotating head of the Swiffer that makes it very maneuverable. It however, is not meant to help out with the huge jobs, nor do I feel it is really durable in the scheme of things. I haven't broken the shaft on my sweeper, but there have been times when I tried to apply pressure to a spot on the floor and the shaft started to bend the wrong directions. I think the Swiffer Sweeper works best on floors where you are just trying to clean up fresh spills, pet hair or dander, and slight dust build-ups on wood floors. It does have its uses, but realize that buying the replacement cloths can get pretty expensive. This is useable product in my opinion, but nothing exemplary.

Piece of junk

from Tulsa, ok

About Me Homeowner

Pros

Cons

• Weak Function

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

This product is a piece of junk. Don't give up your broom and dust pan. All this does is push the dirt around the room. You still have to scoop it up. It does not pick up anything. It does collect dust bunnies that you frequently have to remove. It's just nasty to use.

Long Overdue Product

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

Cleaning isn't rocket science, but daily cleaning is a pain and who wants to lug around a vacuum and rags and mops? I don't! When I first got a Swiffer Sweeper I was hooked. The whole idea is awesome. You put a little dust catching cloth on the end of your sweeper and just push it around to pick up dust. Now it is awesome at removing dust on floors, under furniture, and hard to reach corners, but it is not as effective as a vacuum and it does not pick up large items, like cookie crumbs, or spilled dry foods, these still require a broom. This is best for daily dusting of hardwoods and maybe ceilings and corners. I love the new scented sheets they have, like lemon scent, makes your rooms smell great. Terrific tool for quick dusting without much effort.

Does a good job for a little sweeper.

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

The Swiffer Sweeper is a great little tool to have around the house. It does a great job a picking up dust, crumbs and pet hair. It doesn't make a mess like using a broom and dustpan does. When I use to sweep my floors, I would send the dirt and debris everywhere. It would take longer to just get it all into a nice pile. Not so with the Swiffer Sweeper. It latches right onto everything, except for big pieces of cereal and food. For larger messes, such as those, I always use a broom. That's why I rated the Swiffer Sweeper only an eight, if it could do larger items, it would be a ten. I do use this to dust bookshelves, mini blinds and ceiling fans and it does a great job at that as well. I bought one of their WetJet's and found out it was nothing but garbage. I started using my own cleaner and put a rag on this and it did a much better job. Why waste money on something that doesn't work, when you can rig up your own money saving device with this! I highly recommend the Swiffer Sweeper.

Swiffer dry/wet mop

Profile Image

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

Overall I really like the swiffer dry/wet floor cleaner. It does pick up quite a bit on the floor that a normal broom would not get. Dust, debris, food crumbs, etc. seem to be attracted to the dry cloth to make sweeping seem effortless. I really like the scented cloths you can buy for this sweeper as it makes the room smell great and is almost therapeutic to me as I'm sweeping. Kind of like having scented candles lit and calming you. The sweeper itself is very affordable and the cloths are as well. My trick to get more for your buck is to use one side of the cloth and then reverse it and use the other side. I have two very messy kids so I use mine throughout the day after most meals and snacks. I can use mine two sometimes three times before I need to turn the cloth or get a new one out of the box. I'm sure if you have a less messy situation you can get way more uses out of one cloth. Overall I recommend, good for pet owners and people with small kids.

Just okay.

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

The Swiffer Sweeper is an okay product for quick cleaning, but it doesn't feel like I have really cleaned my floors unless I use a vacuum. The design is basic and easy to use; you just put the pad on the sweeper by tucking it into some the slots on the head of the base. The pad quickly collects dust bunnies, pet hair, and whatever else sticks to the pad. The problem is, depending on how dirty your floor is, after only a couple sweeps with the swiffer, the pad gets very dirty. You either have to pull the stuff off the pad or replace it with another pad (which would require several pads to complete an average size floor.)
      It will due the trick for small areas, and to make an area look presentable. The price is low enough to have one around; but I have found that a traditional broom and dustpan achieves the same purpose. And a vacuum cleaner with a canister solves the problem of storing the dirt.

good floor cleaner

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

The Swiffer Sweeper is a much better floor cleaner tool in comparison to the hassle of a mop and bucket. I live in a college apartment with a tiled kitchen floor that was messy when we moved in and tends to get messy a lot but with the help of Swiffer's Sweeper I am able to clean it quickly, easily, and effectively. All I have to do is attach one of the swiffer wipes to the bottom of the Swiffer Sweeper and then I can push it around the kitchen floor. It traps any crumbs, hairs, or other messes and leaves my kitchen floor looking super clean and shiny. My whole kitchen smells great too because it leaves behind a nice clean scent. And then when I am done cleaning I can just leave the swiffer sweeper in the corner of the kitchen because it is so thin it is never in the way or too noticeable. This is a great cleaning investment for anyone and everyone and is so easy to use and takes the hassle out of cleaning non carpeted floors.

Love It, Except Not Good Picking Up Hair

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

I really like how the Swiffer Sweeper is easy to use and an easy and quick way to clean. Unfortunately, it doesn't pick up extremely long hair that well. I have noticed that it will pick up a bunch of hair, then it will fall off. Also, if enough hair sticks to the bottom, it won't pick up dirt even though the pad is moderately clean (besides the hair). I have really long, thick hair that sheds more than you'd think. A regular broom is just as effective on hair pick-up as the Swiffer, but the Swiffer is more effective (and efficient) on dirt and crumbs. I decided to keep using the Swiffer Sweeper, even though I'm not 100% satisfied with it.

not for deep cleaning

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

It is great for quick clean ups, but horrible for deep cleaning. I only get one good use on a small room out of one attachment. Sometimes the attachment wipes come off and it is difficult to scrub floor. I recommend this for quick clean ups like spills, but not things that have been on floor for a while. The attachable wipes are expensive and costly for quality. Great for a dorm room, but not overall household.

The best way to clean a floor or other hard surface.

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

The Swiffer has eliminated the need for a dirty mop bucket! The dry clothes help clean up the daily mess while the wet clothes mop the floor with little effort. They include a scouring surface for those hard to clean spills. The Swiffer cleans in half the time of a regular mop or broom and leaves your floor or hard surface cleaner then a standard mop or broom.

The swiffer is easy to use.

Comments about Swiffer Sweeper:

I bought this product to be able to clean more quickly and easily and it helps with that. I still worry that it does not pick up all the dirt on the floor, but I'm mostly interested in a quick clean and not a real deep clean. For deeper cleaning, I use other products. It is rather expensive, however. When you buy the actual broom, it only comes with one wet and two dry sheets for sweeping. I have been buying generic replacements which are a lot less expensive and work just as well. There are just two of us living in a 600sq ft apartment with not too much space to clean. I use the swiffer about once a week and a wet sheet lasts about 80sq ft. A dry sheet, which picks up more and bigger things lasts about 40sq ft. (This is the same for both swiffer brand replacements and generic) But you could probably stretch it a bit and get more out of it as well. Overall, the product works just as well as expected and I would buy other swiffer products as a result of my experience with this product.