2.8
Swiffer Carpet-Flick

Swiffer Carpet-Flick

2.8

Bye bye crumbs... hello Viewpoints

I have a little "corral" in the center of my living-room that I let the baby play in. There's really no clean way to let him eat snacks in there, so they basically the floor ends up being his plate. You all know what that means... animal cracker crumbs all over my carpet. Today, instead of pulling out the vacuum, I pulled out the Swiffer Carpet Flick. I was pleased with how well it picked up the crumbs left behind. Of course Mommy had to pick up the whole ones and big pieces... but my vacuum wouldn't have gotten them either. It was so easy: put the pad on, pick up the crumbs, toss the pad... done. The best part is the free time I had to do reviews on Viewpoints! :)

Don't Get Rid of Your Vacuum Just Yet

I'd rather just haul out the vacuum. Seriously, the **Swiffer Carpet Flick** is an interesting product that I was hoping would give me the results I was looking for.  But on my particular carpet, it just wasn't efficient enough to warrant continued use, or purchasing more of the sticky pads.

The Swiffer Carpet Flick is a lightweight sweeper with a silver handle (with a hanging ring for easy storage) and a sunshine-orange base unit.  The sweeper comes with single-use, disposable sticky pads that are supposed to pick up the dirt and debris that accumulates in carpet.  This could be anything from pet hair, to crumbs, to lint, dust bunnies, to thread, and everything in between.  The Swiffer Carpet Flick isn't designed for hard floors, like vinyl, wood, or tile, so sweeping the kitchen was out of the question.  I decided to try it out in my living room and master bedroom.

Previously, my husband tried out the Swiffer Carpet Flick with only marginal results.  I found it in the garage where he had stowed it away and I thought I'd give it a try.  I figured that even though it didn't work in one particular room, it may be useful in another.  Unfortunately, my trial wasn't any more successful than his.

The result of my experiment is that I spent more time running the Carpet Flick back and forth repeatedly, trying to pick up the same little bit of debris than I would have if I'd just used my vacuum.  My carpet is medium-high in height and the Carpet Flick simply couldn't get deep enough to be of much use.  I think this product may be more beneficial if your carpet is low-pile, and you just have a few crumbs or pet hairs that you want to get rid of quickly.   Personally, it's no big deal for me to pull out the vacuum cleaner and quickly vacuum up any problem spots that occur between my scheduled regular cleanings.

Even with its swivel head, sticky pads, and lightweight handle, Swiffer Carpet Flick is no more efficient than the old-fashioned sweeper I used to use during my teen-aged waitressing days.  At least with a traditional carpet sweeper, you don't have the expense of purchasing disposable, non-recyclable pads.  The crumbs and dirt collect into the bin, and when it's full it's emptied into the trash can.

In my opinion, the **Swiffer Carpet Flick** has more cons than pros.  I'll probably donate it or [Freecycle][1] it to someone who would find it more useful than I did.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/freecycle-review-18213

Okay for smaller jobs.

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

I am a big fan of Swiffer products in general. I wanted something smaller and more disposable to use in our downstairs basement/recreation room so I bought this. I was a bit skeptical when I first purchased. I brought it home to assemble which was fairly easy to do, and tried it out on one of a few area rugs in the downstairs rec room. Not very impressed with it's performance on that, it did leave behind quite a few crumbs. Since the flooring is mostly laminate though, with only a couple of big carpets to clean, I moved to try it on the hard surface area and got a much better result. Even though it is not intended for hard floor use, it really worked good! It does not scratch up my flooring due to the bristle brushes that sort of elevate it, and it picked everything up off of the floor really nicely and quickly. The cartridges do fill up rather quickly though, just so you know.

Does not work well on the carpet

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

I tried using this on the carpet, but it did not sweep the carpet the well at all, which is strange because this is supposed to be an everyday carpet sweeper. The premise is that it flicks the mess into the trap, which you ten toss afterwards. However, it did not work as described.

I think that the expectations that I had of this project was quite too high and therefore this may be the reason why I was unsatisfied with the product. Basically, this is not a vacuum cleaner at all. If the dirt is trapped deep inside the carpet, it will not pick it up because it does not have any suction at all. It's only the surface dirt that it can pick up.

The bristles are supposed to flick the dirt to the sticky pad where it traps everything. However, this does not pick up the majority of the dirt. About less than half of the dirt, which is why I said the product did not work as described. A dedicated sticky roller would be better.

The other downside about this project is that the cartridges are very expensive, so over time it will cost more than a vacuum.

Not for everyone but can sometime serve a purpose

from Chesterton, IN

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

Not everyone will find this product to be handy. I saw the ad for it and was a bit intrigued by the design. As luck would have it, I was at a yard sale one day and I found this for a couple of cents. I figured if I ended up not liking it I wouldn't be out too much money.

If you have kids, this could come in handy for you, especially if your little ones love arts and crafts. Both sides of the pad are sticky so it can come in handy if you have spilled glitter or beads everywhere. I can also see this being extremely handy for a cat owner when it comes time to clean up litter. For a messy job like that it would work perfectly.

If you don't have glitter or litter problems though, I'm not so sure you will find this to be handy. If the pieces are too big, the flicker simply will not be able to flick it up and clean the area. Dust and dirt for example are too small because there is no suction. Perhaps if you have a live tree during Christmas time, this will help in cleaning up the falling pine needles. Otherwise I'm not too sure what you would actually use it for.

I also actually dislike the sticky pad. I wish instead of having to buy new pads all the time they just made a container that the mess would flick into and you could empty that out and reuse it. Just seems wasteful to go through so many sticky pads.

Swiffer Carpet-Flick for those quick pick ups.

from New Port Richey, FL

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

I must have had my Swiffer Carpet-Flick for at least 5 years now. I bought it on a wym, and have to say that it does have it's use.

It is bright orange, and has an orange handle to it. You put one of these sticky cards into the bottom part, and lock it in place. All you do it go over your carpet, and it picks up the flick.

I find it works great on my low pile, more commercial carpet downstairs, and find that it doesn't do much on my plush carpet upstairs.

Because of this I keep it downstairs, and when I get flick on the carpet, I just run it over it. The bits go on the underneath part of the cardboard that is sticky, and also collect on the top of it. When there is no more room, you take it out, and put another one in.

This is more expensive that vacuuming, but is so simple, and easy to use.

I only use it when I am in a hurry, or someone says they are coming over in 5 minutes. It has a place in our home.

if you have pets or kids go buy it now

from Kissimmee, FL

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

i love this product i was lucky to get one cheap at a yard sale, then found lol a few in trash and gave to friends and family who love them. lets start out with it is really not for everyone and no it doesnt clean up the whole mess. this product is great if you have cats mostly or house trained dogs cause of litter and then if you have kids, also you have to have carpet or rug for it to work. now that you know what you need to have to buy it let me tell you how great it is. ok the biggest thing i use it for is my kids and cereal omg they are always into cereal which they for some reason they cannot keep in the bowls so i pull the swiffer out and it pops all the cereal up in its little place and i am done. its great for a quick clean picks up stuff that guess would see. lets say you have people coming over and there is litter on the rug from cat and your vacuum is packed up on the whole other end of house well you pull out the swiffer and it picks it all up so when they come in they see nothing, later you can pull out the vacuum for a cleaner clean like getting dirt out of floor but really its made for the bigger items. works on all types of carpet i have a shag like carpet and my mom has the nice tight harder carpet and works best on her carpet but still great on mine i just have to push harder on floor, but still faster then pulling out a heavy vacuum. its small so doesnt take up space you can hang anywhere really, but then the handle seems to break off fast which is a con. hummm what else well the product is cheap to buy and the refills are also cheap and seem to take awhile to get threw a box of them. all in all love the product and am very glad to own.

Does not live up to it's hype

from Dearborn, MI

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

I had previously bought swiffer wet jet, swiffer duster, and the swiffer sweeper, and I like all of these products to some degree (wet jet is great, but the cleaning solution is too expensive for regular use).  Based on this, and being the property of a golden retriever who seems to shed more fur than I would have ever thought possible from one dog, I thought that carpet flick might be provide a solution to keeping fur under control on carpets like the sweeper does on floors.  Did not even come close....  Waste of money in my opinion and certainly not a swiffer worthy product.

Not as great as it looks on TV

from West Jordan, UT

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

This is a great little item, on TV. It looks like it would be great for a mother of a toddler and preschooler who is constantly picking up little pieces of food. I bought this thinking that it would save me from having to get out my heavy vacuum on a regular basis. I was wrong.It is lightweight and easy to carry around and replacing the sticky paper isn't very hard at all. But the paper itself just didn't stay sticky as soon as I began using it.This may be good for someone who has very tight-woven carpet. Mine is more of a berber shag and no matter how many times I tried, the Carpet-Flick just didn't do a good job. I am sure that part of it is because the padding on the bottom just doesn't dig very deeply. With every other Swiffer product, I have been reasonably impressed. But the Carpet-Flick just didn't do what I thought it would. I let my kids play with it now.

Crumbs are gone with one Flick of the wrist!

from New York, NY

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

The Swiffer Carpet Flik is a great product - it is light weight, and easy to store. Works great on crumbs, small debris, and if you're a cat owner, great for spilled litter. Cleans up with just a few swipes. I have recommended this product to many of my friends. A definate 2 thumbs up in my books!

It pickes up loose items, but not cat hair etc..

from Middletown, PA

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

It was ok, it did pick up the loose cat litter in my house ( i have 4 cats), but i'd rather just use a vacume cleaner instead! I don't know what else to say about it, but they are making me type at least 250 words!  I would suggest, again, not to get it, especially since you have to buy additional sticky things for it.. not worth it to me!

Great for inbetween vaccuumings!!

from Laurel, MS

Comments about Swiffer Carpet-Flick:

I love my Swiffer carpet flick!! It is light-weight, compact, and super easy to use. I love using my for inbetween vaccuumings. It is great for small messes, but does not do to well for big messes, which is understandable. It's so easy kids can even use it. My only problem with it is that I am having a hard time finding the replacement pads, my local walmart does not sell them or the carpet flick anymore. The replacements are also a little expensive. We try to make the pads last as long as they possibly can. This product is great for fast cleaning, and it is neat to see it actually flick the mess onto the pad. I might be crazy for that but I think it is neat lol. I would definatly reccommend this helpful product to anyone.