Other Specialty Appliances:
Sunbeam
Sunbeam Donut Maker

Sunbeam Donut Maker

More fun than I expected

Last Christmas we bought this electric donut maker for my son. We purchase 4 gifts for each kid- 'something you want, something you need, a surprise and something to read". I was at a loss for the surprise and ended up with this as an impulse buy (it was a Black Friday special). He was more excited about this item than the video games he got! There are numerous recipes for 'baked donuts' online and the Babycakes mixes that you can purchase are decent too. No, they do not taste like a fried donut, but the unit heats up quickly and you can have your first batch of donuts within 5 minutes of pouring the batter. My son is 14 so a kitchen product like this is great for him to use on his own, when my 9 yr old wants to make them I help though. The unit gets very hot, very quickly and so a clear working area is needed. Also, to make for easier pouring of the batter, we put the batter in a big ziplock bag and cut off the end to pipe the batter. We make a batch of donuts at least once a week and the unit is still working perfectly after almost a year. For clean up we allow the unit to cool and then wipe with a damp paper towel. Even with a messy 14 yr old boy making them, clean up has be no issue. It comes with a little fork to lift them out and a little metal rack to put them on to cool. You must buy or make your mix though.

Okay donut maker.

I received this donut maker as gift last Christmas. I thought when I saw it that it was cute and it would fun to experiment making little donuts with. In the end though it hasn't gotten much play time throughout the year because like most "maker anythings" it's kind of a pain to clean and kind of a pain to make donuts with. You have to be real fast when filling up the little donut spaces or the batter will start to cook very fast making half of your donuts over cooked. So I will say that the thing heats up very well. It came with a little recipe book so that was nice too.

My kids love making donuts at home

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

This has worked well for us as a family activity. My family loves using this. Both my husband and I have played with it with our kids. I prefer making donuts at home. My kids love donuts. At home I can keep track of how much sugar goes into them. Don't get me wrong we aren't making a health food out of donuts, but I can make slightly healthier recipes. Plus the size is a little smaller than a bakery donut, so we can pair the donuts up with something a little healthier like fruit.
We actually end up using this as a family. It's great for a laid back Saturday morning. You need some time to mess with it. One tip we picked up is to put the batter in a ziplock bag and snip off the bottom corner a little. Then pipe the batter into the donut wells. This really minimizes the mess. We just top ours with powdered sugar. The kids love adding the powdered sugar, and no one in my family is going to wait for the donuts to cool to dip them in glaze.

Sunbeam donut maker is awesome!

from Utica, MI

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

I have a six year old son who has a very serious dairy allergy. He would love to try every food possible but cannot. My husband bought e this donut maker so I can make him his own donuts. He loves it! We frost them with chocolate frosting and sprinkles and they rival store bought donuts! Very easy to use!

kids love it

from Lodi CA

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

We got this donut maker for Christmas time and it works great. my kids have a blast making there own homemade donuts :) they decided to use it for valentines for treats for the kids in there classrooms. its doesn't hog up space in the kitchen very easy to clean and put away.

Works With Muffin Mix!

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

I use this all the time to make chocolate-chip donuts from muffin mix. They taste so good and are cooked perfectly, though I do often leave the muffin-mix batter in longer than I do the donut-mix. It's great for the kids when they want a quick, small snack before dinner.

excellent product for home made donuts

from Neptune, NJ

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

The sunbeam donut maker is a very convenient small appliance to have in home if you want to make delicious donuts for your family. Take your batter and pour it in and close the lid. After a short period of time you have delicious donuts. We like to add topping to our donuts right away such as sprinkles,powdered sugar or dip in chocolate and let them set. The kids really like the fresh donuts right out of the maker.

Okay donut maker.

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

Fun to use and easy to clean up!

from Springfield, KY

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

This was a Christmas present from Grandma and donuts have become our new traditional birthday breakfast. The recipes in the included book are easy to use, and I can usually have the dough mixture ready about the same time as the ready light kicks on. I love the little fork tool for getting the finished donuts out, and it is fairly easy to wipe the unit down after use. I also like the fact that it doesn't take up a lot of cabinet real estate, and stacks well with my waffle iron. This isn't a necessity, but it's one of those fun extras to have around!

More fun than I expected

from Coraopolis, PA

Pretty good product

from Glastonbury, CT

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

This product is good if you like donuts but do not want the fried kind. You can make the baked donuts with this machine. You really need to put some kind of topping on them or they are kind of dry, but the machine does deliver what it promises. My kids like to use this and make all kinds of donuts. It is fun, and fairly easy to clean up. I do not have any complaints. You are never going to be able to duplicate the taste of a fried donut with a baked one, but you can get kind of close if you put toppings on it.

Fun if you are patient

from Henderson, NV

Comments about Sunbeam Donut Maker:

I love doing cooking projects with my family, and having a family friend whose son can't eat gluten, we thought we'd try making gluten-free donuts with the Sunbeam Donut Maker I saw at a local cooking store. This donut maker works better if you remember to use cooking spray but it will be ok if you don't (I recommend Pam) Then, just heat it up, pour in the batter, close, and cook for 6 minutes. The directions say to spray with cooking spray, but I forgot a couple times and the doughnuts still come right out without sticking. It also cleans up nicely, and the donuts come out great. It can get a bit tedious to make donuts with impatient children waiting, so have another activity nearby. Also, the gluten free stuff surprisingly turned out OK!!