Other Baby Gates:

Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate

Pros

Cons

• Safety:

Nice gate with self-closing feature

Well, first of all, I would like to say that I am using this to contain a puppy, not a child. I do not have any children, but the features I describe will probably help parents out (hopefully).

We wanted a baby gate to contain our puppy in the bathroom. My husband hates normal baby gates that would need to be removed and set aside to go in and out of the door. He always trips over them and they make a huge noise when they crash to the ground. I saw this Summer Infant Extra-Tall Walk Thru Gate and thought it would be perfect.

It is made out of metal, with the tighteners plastic disks. It comes with three extenders to fit any size door. Well, my apartment has been recently constructed, so we have standard sized doors. It takes all three extenders to fit a standard door. So, if you are in an older house with narrower door frames, this will probably fit in. It uses pressure to wedge it in the door frame. You can secure it with the included hardware if you wish to make it permanent though.

So, the gate is always up and has a door to walk through. To open the door, slide the locking mechanism on the top, then *lift up the gate slightly* to open. You can't just slide the switch over and push it open. The gate opens both ways and automatically closes behind you. It doesn't slam shut. It has closed on the puppy as he tried to escape. It closes really softly. If you want to keep it open, just wedge a stuffed animal underneath the door. It works swimmingly.

Well, there are two downsides I can think of. First of all, keep an eye on it when it closes. If you didn't open it very far to go through, it may not close all the way and lock in. If you opened it really wide and let it go, it might swing right through and come to rest on the other side, still not locked in. It's just the momentum that carries it through. If something (or someone) was in the way, it would still be soft.

Also, the bar that goes across the bottom of it is about two inches high. If you don't watch, you can trip over it (ouch), and you have to re-situate the gate back in the door. It doesn't make the gate come out all the way or fall out in any way, it goes off kilter. Children just learning how to walk would have an issue with that bar.

This gate is tall. About five to six inches higher than a normal sized baby gate. The bars are pretty close together. An 8 lb. puppy couldn't escape. I think it's a pretty good baby gate. I give it an above average rating for the walk-thru feature. No tripping over gates that are set aside.

quality isn't great

While we were able to score a great deal on these gates, I definitely wouldn't be happy with the quality if I had paid alot for them.  The gate is supposed to close and latch automatically which provides you the security of not having to worry about latching the gate each and every time you come through, but that feature stopped working less than 2 months after installing the gate.  So, if that is the main reason you want to purchase this gate, please keep looking for a better quality gate.  It is easy to push hard enough on this gate to get it to open or slide along the wall, so security isn't a real plus with this gate.  Even my dogs have figured out how to hit the gate exactly right to get out and into the rooms they want, which again wouldn't be such a problem if the automatic closing and latching feature actually worked on the gate.  I thought perhaps maybe it was an isolated incident, but when all three of my gates stopped closing on their own, I knew it was a quality issue.

Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate Reviews

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

I bought the Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate Reviews for my puppy more than for my children. I have used a couple different baby gates in the past and I always found them annoying because you had to take them down and put them back up or step over them. Now stepping over them is not so bad for me, but my parents are older and when they come over this is hard for them to do. It can also be a pain if you are trying to move things or carry laundry baskets, plus trying to secure them with a baby in your arms, or while you're trying to block off a puppy can be difficult. When I saw this gate I knew it was the one that I wanted to try. It fits nicely against the wall, and I love the door! You can mount the baby gate and then you don't need to bother with securing it again. It's perfect for all my gating needs. It keeps the kids where they are supposed to be and the puppy where he's supposed to be. It's very durable and it looks nice too which I like a lot. I would recommend this gate for anyone that wants something easy and safe whether it be for a dog or a baby.

• Safety:

Great baby gate for high traffic areas!

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

I love this gate! It helps keep my little one out of areas she doesn't need to be in but allows my older two children access to places they need to be. I love the safety feature that allows the gate to swing shut after being opened. This is the perfect gate for high traffic areas as it allows safe passage though and you don't have to worry about getting caught up and falling over the baby gate.

Very strong gate.

Safety
Stays safely in place.

• Safety:

Perfect for tall children!

from Richmond VA

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

I have a very tall child, so this gate is perfect for us! I love the fact that it is a real gate, with a swinging door and everything. Stepping over gates is difficult, uncomfortable, and can even be dangerous (especially if you're holding a child at the time!), so being able to unlock the door and walk through the gate was a huge relief. Another plus is that the way the gate is build makes it so that a child cannot climb over - parents of climbers like my little boy should definitely consider this one!

This gate takes a lot of use and abuse from us and has never let us down!

It can be a little tricky to set this up, especially if you have to put it in an extra wide entrance, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy to put up and take down.

Safety
Locking gates are my favorite type of baby gate since they do not have lattice work that children can scramble up and over. Plus, being able to walk through is a lot safer than trying to step over (especially since this gate is extra tall).

I love this gate!

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

Being that I have an 8 month old son and 2 large dogs, this gate comes in very handy! It always stays secure in between the door. And it is just tall enough so my dogs cant jump over it. The self close feature is an extra plus! Especially with a baby in your arms!

• Safety:

keeps kids in but adults can get out

from Meridian, ID

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

We placed this baby gate in our playroom loft as a way to ensure the safety of our two small children who love to play upstairs. This gate is definitely more of a permanent structure, you will be drilling multiple holes into the wall so think of it as something to be used long-term, even if you think your little ones have grown out of its necessity. The latch is easy enough for adults to open but just strong and tricky enough for little fingers to not figure out. It is quite sturdy considering it is bolted into the wall.

Great gate!

from Fountain Valley, CA

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

We had orginally gotten this gate to keep our dogs in the kitchen. It worked perfectly to keep them securely in there. We have small dogs and there gate slats are close enough that the littlest one can not sneek through them. They paw at it and they jump at it and it stays securely in place. Now that we have a son, it even stays securely in place while he hangs all over it. He just loves to stick his feet through the gate and hang all over it and I am so confident that it won't fall over on him. The latch is a little tricky, you have to push the lock back and lift the gate and pull the gate all at the same time so it's funny to watch all the grown ups try to work the "baby proof" gate. We have had other gates in the past, but this is the most versitile and sturdy one we have tried. It comes with two different sizes of side pieces for the gate so that you can find the perfect fit for where you want to put it.

Decent Gate

from Pickerington, OH

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

My husband and I bought this baby gate to keep our german shepherds out of our upstairs. We had tried many other gates but none of them were tall enough and our dogs would just jump over them. This one, is definitely tall enough, but I think the latch was poorly made. It took my female german shepherd one day to figure out how to open the latch. Since the holes between the bars were wide enough, she would just put her muzzle through the hole and hit it upwards to open the door so she could walk through. We ended up having to purchase additional baby safety hooks to put on it so she couldn't get through it. Also, we have only had it about a year and we have to make sure we slam it hard behind us or it will not shut all the way, so the latch wore down rather quickly. It works in that our dogs can't jump it, but I recommend spending a little bit more money and getting summer's decorative extra tall gate. The material is a lot better quality than this one.

This Summer Gate is AWESOME

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

This gate is AWESOME! We used ours for over 1 1/2 years with our son and had no problems with the gate at all. We were able to temporarily instal ours, using the springs with rubber ends to brace it between our stair rail and the wall. Once removed, it left no marks on our wall. The frame is a sturdy metal construction. You open the walk-thru door with a foot pedal which is very convenient as it allows your hands to be free. The foot pedal takes quite a bit of pressure-at least a 10-year old child to an adult is needed to push the pedal and open the door. The door doesn't slam shut which is usually nice, but on the other hand, it may not shut completely. You do need to check this each time. It is also possible to trip over the bottom bar of the gate as you are walking through, but we never had a problem with this.

I highly recommend this gate to anyone with small children or pets as it works very well!

quality isn't great

from San Tan Valley, AZ

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

Summer Infant Walk-Thru Gate works really well.

from Port Saint Lucie, FL

Comments about Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate:

**Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate is a great gate. It is easy to install,  and it is easy to use. It keeps my daughter and my dog out of the kitchen while I'm trying to cook. I have mine between the cabinet and the wall wich is a 47" wide opening. I does not only have to go in a doorway, you could also use it to block a hallway. The gate does not close automatically so if you are carrying your child and or something else you have to reach back and close it yourself. The bar along the bottom of the gate is easy to trip over but every gat I looked at had the same problem.**