Other Baby Monitors:

Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor

Pros

Cons

Absolutely wonderful!

When our first child was born we invested in an AngelCare Motion Detecting Monitor.  And we really liked the idea of being able to know our child was breathing at night.  However, as she grew older, we realized there would definitely be an advantage to being able to "look in on her" if she cried suddenly in the middle of the night without risking waking her if it was nothing.

Thus, when our second one came along, not needing much else by way of baby supplies, we decided to take advantage of the opportunity to have an excuse for a new monitor - and the Summer Infant Slim and Secure monitor was the one we chose after a little research and finding a decent deal on an auction website.  And we have not been disappointed!

The picture is nice and clear and the night vision works great!  We have never had any interference of any kind or difficulty with reception.  It is truly wonderful to be able to see our daughter at nap time and know whether she's sleeping or doing something she shouldn't.  In fact, the video monitor is what gave me peace of mind about transitioning her into a toddler bed, knowing I'd be able to make sure she was staying in bed, rather than crawling out when no one was looking.

We initially put the video monitor in the toddler's room because she is a much more active sleeper and, thus, needs a little more watching.  However, we have been wanting to get a second camera for our new son's room, so we know if he's crying because he kicked off his blanket or if he's just REALLY tired.  That's where my only issue with this camera has come in.  This particular model is only sold at Babies"R"Us - a fact I did not know when I purchased it on the auction website.  Therefore, they have cornered the market on the extra cameras, as well and I've had to wait long and hard for a sale before I felt I could justify dishing out the money.  I'm not certain whether or not a different camera made by the same company would have sufficed, but for the price I was worried to risk it.

Now that I've ordered the new camera, I am looking forward to trying out the multi-camera feature and its ability to switch back and forth.

One feature I wish it had was the ability to pan the camera.  I have seen other models that advertise such a feature and at times (like when my daughter has gotten out of bed), it would be nice to able to move the camera remotely to see what's going on in the rest of the room.

One final feature I love about this monitor is that the receiver plugs in to charge - no batteries necessary.  With our other monitor we used rechargables but it felt like we were always changing them and when the rechargables died we just kept forgetting to get new ones, so that was a hassle.  I love being able to plug this one in by our bed at night (while it's still on) and knowing it's good to go the next morning.

I would highly recommend this monitor to anyone.

UPDATE: We have had our second camera for about two months now.  It has been wonderful!  I love the ability to scan back and forth and keep an eye/ear on both our babies all night long.  The scan cycle visits each camera for about 8 seconds at a time - which I find to be just the right amount of time.  I cannot recommend this product highly enough.

Nice to be able to watch your baby.

The Summer Infant Video Monitor is so nice to have for a new baby.  We really liked that we were able to see our baby while she was sleeping.  Although the information about the monitor says that it has color video, it really doesn't get any better than sepia tones, and that's only when there's a lot of light in the room.  It is nice though because it has "night vision" so you can see your child at night without a lot of light in the room.  The monitor picks up small sounds so you can hear even whimpers, but you can't hear your baby breathing unless they are breathing heavily.  We haven't had much problem with interference or static on the monitor.  If we do, we just move the monitor to a different place and it clears up.  The biggest complaint I have about the monitor is that the battery does not last very long.  We got this monitor when my daughter was born and by the time she was about 15 or 16 months old the monitor would not last for very long unless it was plugged in.  I wish the battery had a better lifespan.

Multifunctional...

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

The Summer Infant Slim and Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor is a really worthwhile product. It is very slim with a belt clip for easy hands free monitoring. It's color is high quality and vivid. It is quite durable for certain- my son has dropped it a time or two. It is easy to use, operate and set up. I am able to keep track of baby and the other children as well without them even knowing it. It is also highly innovative with it's ability to work with the internet, a tablet, netbook or smart phone. The unit is also expandable and you can buy separate monitors for another room to operate on the same base. It can be used as an intercom as well since it has two way speaking capability. I was able to pan and adjust the camera as well as zoom in and see from other angles. It also allowed me to take picture s that I was able to store on my phone and I was able to split the screens of the cameras too. It really has the ability to conveniently provide at least some peace of mind. It is quite pricey but, it's definetely worth the price when you consider all of it's capabilities.

Sound/Video Clarity
no static

• Portability:

I like to see my little ones.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

I got this monitor because when my daughter first went into her own room I was always so worried about her and I really liked the idea that it had a video monitor on it and that I would be able to see her without having to go into her room and chance waking her up. The video clarity is decent, it is not perfect, but I can see her well enough to look in on her and make sure she is still breathing, and that she does not have anything by her face. The sound clarity is also pretty good, I can hear her pretty well when she makes any noises. I have noticed that every great now and then it will die out of nowhere, even if I have it fully charged, it has only happened twice in the 2 years that we have had it, so it has not been that big of an issue. We do get interference every now and then as well, it picked up our sons walkie talkies one day. It has served its purpose for our household and has worked relatively well, we take it everywhere we go on trips if she will not be in our room still, it is a great way to keep tabs on them and check on your babies.

Decent video monitor

from Jacksonville, FL

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

This was my first video monitor purchase. I needed something that I could have 2 cameras and only 1 portable receiver so that I could keep an eye on both of my children whenever they are sleeping. This monitor does the job, but it is lacking in clarity, durability and some features. I only owned it for about a year before the monitor broke. I opted to sell the cameras instead of replace the monitor. They do have a great resale value, so that it a positive. I did go with Summer Infant video monitor again. I have had great success with the second one, but it is a different model with features like zoom and scan. Plus the ability to talk to my children while they are in their rooms with just the touch of a button. If you want to spend a little less, this is a great choice, if you don't really need those additional features. Hopefully others have found the monitor to last a bit longer than I have.

• Portability:

Great way to monitor your baby!

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

I am a nanny for an 18-month-old boy. He takes two naps during the day, and his parents have the Summer Infant video baby monitor installed. At first, I was a little reluctant to use it; I felt that it was weird to see a live video of the baby sleeping. However, as time went on, I realized how great of a baby monitor it is.
First of all, you don’t have to go into the nursery to check on the baby. This is great because you avoid the risk of waking the sleeping child up.
Next, you can turn off the video function so that the monitor acts just like any other baby monitor. I usually keep it on the monitor only setting and only use the video setting to check on the baby.
Lastly, there is a “talk back” feature. This allows you to speak to your baby without being in the same room.
Overall I like the functions and abilities of this baby monitor. Sometimes the signal goes out if you get too far from the camera, but I haven’t had too many problems with this product.

• Portability:

Very useful and one of the best products I could purchase.

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

This product was very useful when my child was younger. I could close his bedroom door and not only hear him but watch him at the same time. This product was very good range wise and sound was very clear.

Sound/Video Clarity
The sound was very clear to where i could move anywhere around the house and not get static. My apt was very spacious I was surprised about that the monitor never faded out.

Interference
No interference whats so ever. my cell could ring and not interfere not one bit.

I use this baby monitor for other reasons as well. I didn't just use it to watch my baby sleep or play in his room. I also used it for other safety reasons around the house.

Portability
Came in great hands when I had to get work done around the house. I could just clamp it on me on sit it up on the counter top while washing dishes and look at the screen.

• Portability:

Leaves you with a great feeling

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

I got this as a gift at my baby shower and from the moment my son was born I had a great barrier lifted off my chest. as a first time parent you constantly worry about what position your baby is in, well with this you can see your child and even hear exactly the baby is doing. There was no static in this system and with the room being all the way down the hall it works great. I can even go where ever in the house and carry the device with me as if it were a cell phone.

NO interference

Great Product

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

I have had this monitor for about 4 years now and I love it. The only problem I have had was after about 2 years the sound started messing up on it and it goes in and out sometimes. But everything else still works great on it. Picture quality is very good, and I love that I do not have to leave a light on in the baby's room at night so I can see her on the monitor I am able to see her just fine in the dark. Would recommend this product to someone else.

Interference
Unlike other monitor I have never had any interference with this one and I live in a neighborhood with close neighbors and do not pick anything else up with my monitor.

My daughter has dropped, kicked, drooled, and just about anything else you can think of to this monitor and it still looks brand new.

Portability
Has a good range on it like that the baby can be napping in the house and I am able to do some yard work and still keep a good eye on her.

• Portability:

Audio, visual, its got it all.

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

This audio and video baby monitor is fantastic. It gives you a clear and crisp audio and or sound of the baby like older baby monitors and it gives you a great visual so you can see your baby as well, making it very modernized and updated. The quality is very well and doesn't break up like other competing brands, the audio is clear and allows you to hear the baby's every coo and ca that he and or she makes. The video is clear enough to see your little one as if you are standing right there just watching him and or her. There is not much interference, making this audio and video baby monitor an even better purchase because then you do not have to worry about your baby monitor cutting out while your keeping an eye on your little one. This baby monitor is very durable, which i have dropped numerous times. Also, my other little ones have gotten a hold of it several times and it has yet to break down on me. I have also used it on two of my children, because it has yet to break. The baby monitor is very easy to take, making it extremely ideal and gives it great portability. It is also small, so while your cooking a big family meal, you can slip that monitor right into your apron pocket.

• Portability:

Decent for price, but can be undependable.

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

This video monitor set was something that we know we had to buy when we have our newborn baby. We knew how important it was to have eyes on the baby even when we were not inside the room with him. We decided to buy this set because of it's competitive and appealing price. The set looks really great. It looks very sleek an slim and the picture quality is not bad at all. It worked very nicely for the first 2 weeks, but afterwards it became very undependable. Some nights, the video would just randomly turn off for no reason. We though that maybe it was a problem with the battery or we got a defective model, so we called the manufacturer. They were not very helpful and didn't seem interested in helping up. We tossed this unit and bought from a new more dependable company.

Ok but not great

Comments about Summer Infant Slim & Secure Handheld Color Video Monitor:

Ok but not great get a lot of static and vibrates with every noise. Would be ok but keep getting interference from someone else's near by. My son also figured how to turn it off :( wish that was not so easy but at least it goes really loud static when other end is turned off great for night dark vision