Other Baby Monitors:

Summer Infant Day & Night Handheld Color Video Monitor with 1.8" Screen

Pros

Cons

Decent video monitor

We bought this monitor when we had our second son.  We didn't have a video monitor for our first son.  It is a nice feature to be able to see the baby without having to go into the room to check on him every time he makes a sound.  This monitor is convenient.  You can mount the camera or just put it on a table or shelf.  We put it on a high bookshelf and we move it depending upon where the baby is sleeping in the room (i.e. bassinet, crib or swing)

It is also nice that this has a rechargeable battery.  Our audio monitor uses AA batteries that we are constantly replacing.

My only complaint is that it sometimes takes a few minutes to find a good position for the receiver so that there is not too much static.  It is on the same frequency as my ADT home alarm system so interference can sometimes be a problem.  Also, it claims to be "in color".  The only time I see color is if the sun is shining into the room  - and even then, only a few colors actually show up.

Overall, I think this is a good monitor and I definitely recommend spending the money to get a video monitor as opposed to an audio only monitor.

Good Audio, OK Video, Poor Craftsmanship.

After much research and debate, we finally chose the Summer Infant Day & Night Handheld Color Video Monitor with 1.8" Screen because of the following features: color monitor with "night vision" capability; on/off button that allowed us to turn off the video screen and sound, but still have LED lights to alert us; and the ability to add a second camera (2-channel system).   While using this equipment, we were satisfied with the additional features such as a rechargable battery, belt clip and kickstand, which let me move the monitor around the house as needed.

Overall, we found the sound quality to be good.  The microphone was sensitive enough that we could hear our son's every breath.  However, we had some occasional interuptions from static, which we determined were interference with our 900 mHz telephone system.  Moving the receiver around usually helped this issue, at least for a while.

The daytime video quality was not as "crystal clear" as we anticipated from earlier reviews.  However, the amount of detail we could see during the nightime impressed me, considering the room was pitch-black.  Having the monitor during that time gave me some added security, especially during those early months as a first-time parent!

After only a few months of use, we were upset when the screen's on/off button on top of the hand-held monitor suddenly failed to function.  When the monitor is not plugged in to the A/C power adaptor (running off the rechargable battery), the screen has a power-saver feature that turns the video off after a short-time.  So, when the screen on/off button on top broke, we found ourselves having to turn the entire monitor off and back on again to regain the video image.  This also meant readjusting the sound volume each time.  It doesn't seem like a horrible thing to overcome, but when you are sleep-deprived at 2 AM, this can be a real nuisance!

Another negative experience we had was that one night I woke up to a child crying.  When I looked at the monitor I was at first stunned to see that the child in the picture was certainly not my own.  It turns out that I could see our neighbor's child.  Upon discussing this with our neighbor, I learned that they had often seen our son and heard our conversations... so much for privacy!  We agreed that they would use one channel and we would use the other so this would not become a common occurance.

Overall, we were very excited about the features and quality promised by this product; but, we were disappointed with our actual experience.

Summer infant baby monitor

Comments about Summer Infant Day & Night Handheld Color Video Monitor with 1.8" Screen:

I received this product as a baby shower gift for my first child in 2006. I am still using the same product now in 2013 for my second child. Very pleased with how long the product has lasted. We use it every day to watch my baby nap and sleep at night. After using this I am not sure I could go without a video monitor, lol. Before my second child, it was still in my son's room at age 5 for us to keep an eye on him.

Sound/Video Clarity
It does get staticy quite often. I have to have it sitting a certain way to help prevent that issue. I can always pick it up and get it ok if I need too, but the way it has to sit on my night stand is not in good view but it is where it keeps it from having static and white noise.

Interference
I do have issues with static when it is near remotes, ipads, iphones and other like things.

This product has held up amazingly over the last 7.5 years. We still use it with our second child.

Portability
I have used it clipped to my pants while outside doing yard work. I do like that I can move it around the house with me so I can always keep an eye on my baby.

• Portability:

A good, basic video monitor.

from West Des Moines, IA

We have been satisfied with this monitor, although there are some things that I wish were better with it. It really shouldn't be called a COLOR video monitor because I rarely see much color on the screen, especially since we pretty much only use it at night, and the screen is completely in black and white at night. If you just need a fairly inexpensive basic video monitor, this works fine.

Sound/Video Clarity
The sound quality is okay as long as you don't have a lot of interference getting in the way. The video quality isn't great. It's fine for checking to see if your baby is awake or has moved, but it does NOT do color video at night and barely has any color during the day, unless the room is brightly lit, so don't buy it thinking you're going to see these beautiful color images of your sleeping child, because it just isn't there.

Interference
I get a lot of static noise and crackling/popping from mine, and it really isn't that far away from the camera. It gets annoying at night, but you get used to it to some extent. Since it's a cheaper model, I put up with it for the sake of having the video feature without a huge price tag. I find that sometimes all I have to do to get less interference from it is put it on its side or point it a slightly different way.

I have dropped the handheld part many times and never had anything break on it. A little paint has worn off both the camera and the handheld unit, but that's all, and I have had mine for 4 years now. I did have to buy a new rechargeable battery for it for my second child because the first one wouldn't hold much of a charge anymore after several years of use and charging it over and over again, but it wasn't too expensive. I bought it directly from the company.

Portability
It's lightweight and has both a stand and a belt clip, so you can carry it around easily.

Great baby monitor!

This is one of my favorite baby purchases! I bought it years ago when my oldest daughter was just a baby. I had a small apartment then, and while this monitor worked great, it got very little use. Now that I have my second daughter, though, this monitor is used daily! We have a two story house, and I have the camera permanently set up on her bookcase in her room, aimed at her crib. I can do my work downstairs while she is napping upstairs and see everything she is doing! The receiver does have batteries, but I usually keep it plugged in so that I can just keep the picture on and watch her out of the corner of my eye all the time.
The reception on this monitor is great, the picture is clear, and it has worked for me for years without any problems. I would definitely recommend it!

Wouldn't want another monitor

from Glen Oaks, NY

This is the best.  So glad we plunged in to buy this when we had our first daughter 3 1/2 years ago.  We are using it on our second daughter now, but we also use it when my older one takes nap.  It's just for us to keep an eye on things.  The screen, although not big, is enough to show what we want to see.  The lens on the camera can be move freely, so you can really point it to wherever you want.  The monitor works great even when the room it dark.  The sound is trasmitted nicely too, and you can hear even a little whimper (not sure if it's a good thing for some).  Love the sound indicating light with monitor also.  So even when the screen is on safe-energy mode, I can still "see" that my baby is moving because of the light.  I would recommend this to everyone if they can afford this.

Sound/Video Clarity
The unit comes with night vision. So you can see even if the other room is dark. It also allows you the adjust the volume, so you can hear the slightest noise.

Interference
There are two channels you can swtch between. I never had any problem in our house with interference.

Have been using it for 5+ years, and it's still going.

Portability
Love that it can charge itself and you can only bring the unit around the house.

Great monitor

from Whitehouse, TX

I absolutely love this monitor! You have several options with it, everything to  a day colored screen, night vision, and you can hook it up to your tv if the screen is not big enough for you to watch. You can adjust the brightness and darkness of the screen depending on what kind of light you are in. It is easy to use and portable! I travel occasionally and I take this monitor with me. It's compact enough that it doesn't take up a lot of space and easy to hook right up wherever I may be. The sound through it is great. You can clip the hand held monitor on your pants if you need to be hands free.

Of course nothing is perfect so the only slight problem with the monitor is that at times it can have some static. But by simply adjusting the monitors position, the static goes away. When we lived further out of town, we had absolutely no  problems with static. Then when we moved in town, that's when we noticed a little more. It's really not a lot but just on occasion. I would still and have still recommended this monitor to others!

• Portability:

Summer Infant Color Monitor is good for the first couple years.

from Portland, OR

I used the Summer Infant Color monitor with my first child until the video part went out after two years. This monitor worked great up until then and I had no problems at all. I never had any problems with the screen getting hot or being able to see other people's videos. There was hardly ever and static, the picture was clear and the sound was good. I loved that it was so portable, lightweight and easy to use. I used it every day, all night and for naps, until the picture finally quit working after two years of use. I was actually surprised it worked flawlessly for so long, since I used it so much. I expected there to be problems before the two year mark, so I wasn't totally disappointed. I still use it for the sound part, which works fine. And I actually just purchased a second one for my new baby, since I was happy with this one for the first couple years. I figure if this one last two years as well, I feel like I will get my moneys worth.

• Portability:

In a nutshell - piece of mind.

from Zion, IL

Loses one star for occasional poor reception (static) but otherwise no complaints. I love being able to check my little one on the screen instead of having to try to tip toe into her room without waking her up.

I don't know what I would have done without this baby monitor

from Salisbury, NC

This baby monitor was the best thing I bought when I brought my little one home. Her room is on the other side of my home, so it was difficult to hear her if she were crying. So until I bought the Summer Infant Day/Night handheld Baby Monitor, my little girl slept in the bed with my husband and me. This is very dangerous and studies show that this is how baby are accidently killed.  I went out and bought this monitor and I can not only hear my baby when she was not happy but I could also see her and sometimes she was just trying to get comfortable and went right back to sleep. This helped me to get more rest and a peace of mind knowing she was safe. I love this monitor and recommend it to any mother concerned about your little one.

Horrible product

from New Port Richey, FL

I would never recommend this product. I have been through 2 of them of them in less than two years. Summer Infant replaced the first one, but will not replace a second one because it is outside of my one year when I originally purchased the first defective product. I am now stuck with an almost 300.00 product that does not work. My handheld unit screen is completely out. I travel a lot and have only used this product for maybe 6 months total and just for a handfull of hours each night. When calling Summer Infant, a very rude customer service rep would not work with me at all. I asked if they had anywhere I could even send the handheld unit to be fixed or even just have the handheld unit only replaced, not the entire unit. There was no budging. I insisted on speaking with a supervisor, and she told me a supervisor cannot overturn her or their warranty. She said they could only resell me a whole new unit. I rely on this handheld unit for my baby sitters and to make sure my litlte one is safe at night. I will never recommend you buying this product if you need it to last more than one year! There customer service is especially horrible! Who wants to pay 300.00 and only have the product work less than a full year? NOT ME! Stay away from Summer Infant monitors!

• Portability:

What would I do without this?

from Minneapolis, MN

This monitor is wonderful! I'm not sure what I would do without it - I'm pretty sure my child would never sleep because I would be peeking in on him every second and checking up on every sound. With this monitor, you know *exactly* what's going on at all times. You are better able to let your child "cry it out" if need be, because you know for sure that they are safe. Now that my child is older, I am able to let him play in his crib before and after naps, because I can see that he is happy and just fine with hanging out for the time being. I can even go 25 feet away from the house and still have good reception. This is an excellent product and well worth the price. You won't sleep well without one!!!