3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

• Cough Suppression:

A great product that is easy on the pocket book and works.

It does what it claims, relieves sinus congestion. But, it is mild. Now, that being said, that is a very good thing for me. I can take it and it doesn't make me nervous, or jittery. If I am really bothered with allergy symptoms I will just take it more frequently. it's not expensive and for people who are struggling financially and want to self treat mild illness and allergies I think it's quite a good product.

See added note below.

Congestion Relief
I have found that when my allergy symptoms flare up, I use Sudafed PE in combination with Zyrtec... Not Zyrtec D that you have to get "behind the counter" at the pharmacy which is more expensive and has more reactions.

Zyrtec once a day and Sudafed PE one or more during the day to tap down symptoms is a great inexpensive self treatment protocol. By keeping the allergy symptoms down, I can avoid escalating to a full blown illness requiring a doctor visit and possibly antibiotics.

It is not supposed to do this

Relief of Aches & Pains
It has no added ingredients for this so the questions is unfair for this product. It's like Asking if Vaseline relieves a headache....no, but it's great on dry elbows!

Cough Suppression
See above comments. In addition, let me say that by clearing nasal congestion, it helps sinus drainage which reduces coughing.

Sudafed PE--No Better Than a Placebo. I'll Stick to the Original

When I first heard that pharmacies were required to limit and document the purchase of products containing pseudophedrine (because they were being used as an ingredient in meth), I wasn't worried. I knew that Sudafed and other brands were creating sinus and allergy relief products with a slightly different chemical composition that was said to be as effective as the original. Unfortunately, I ended up with a severe sinus headache and soon discovered that the reformulated **Sudafed PE Nasal Decongestant, Maximum Strength **tablets were worthless. My optimism quickly wore off as my sinus headache raged on.

In the past, when I've gotten a bad sinus headache, I would take a couple of Sudafed along with a couple of Advil or Aleve. I usually obtained relief within the hour. With Sudafed PE, I noticed that the dosage was for a single pill so I took only one with two Advil, and waited. After an hour passed with absolutely no relief, I tried taking another Sudafed PE. Still nothing. I didn't want to take more for fear of overmedicating, but I was absolutely miserable. As soon as the allotted time passed where I could safely take more, I tried again with only minimal relief. I couldn't believe it. I was feeling as if I had taken nothing at all.

Sudafed PE does not contain pseudophedrine (which is what worked for me); it contains phenylephrine HCL (which didn't work for me). I received absolutely no relief from sinus congestion, pressure or the accompanying headache. From now on, I'll pass by **Sudafed PE Nasal Decongestant Maximum Strength **tablets in the drugstore aisle and head straight for the pharmacist to buy the original Sudafed behind the counter. It's a bit of a hassle, but in my view, it's completely worth it.

Save your money. Buy the original.

from Bloomfield, CT

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

Absolutely worthless. All this product does is suck money out of your pocket. It provides no relief and prevents you from taking something that might actually work. Buy the store brand behind the counter instead; the old formula actually does something. Buy some hot sauce too; it's cheaper and more effective.

Congestion Relief
Worthless - does NOTHING except prevent you from taking something that might help.

Chest Congestion Relief
Don't bother - this isn't the product for that problem

Relief of Aches & Pains
not applicable - not a painkiller

Cough Suppression
n/a - it's a secondary effect at best, but since this product doesn't work... this won't either.

• Cough Suppression:

Prescription strength at your pharmacy

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

I use this because my doctor said it is as good as anything that they can write me a script for but it is available over the counter. You do have to ask for it because it is behind the pharmacy counter. Either way, this helps with congestion so much and really has you feeling better with almost all of your cold symptoms. It is especially good for chest congestion.

• Cough Suppression:

Doesn't work as well as the original formula

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

I normally buy the original formula Sudafed but it is only sold behind the counter and I needed to pick some up after the pharmacy closed. So I decided to try Sudafed PE instead. I am rather disappointed in it. It just did not clear up my sinuses and ear congestion like the original formula does. I felt very little difference after taking it. I will be sticking with the original formula from now on. I do feel as if the PE formula was a waste of money and doesn't do what it says it will.

• Cough Suppression:

A great product that is easy on the pocket book and works.

from Gardendale, AL

See added note below.

It is not supposed to do this

Great for Pregnant Ladies

from Clovis, CA

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant, and am very limited as to the types of medications and over-the-counter drugs that I am allowed to take. My doctor told me that if I get sick while pregnant, Sudafed was one over-the-counter drug I could take as a decongestant for my nose.

Well, despite working hard all winter not to get sick, I ended up getting a cold a few weeks ago. After the first couple days of having a sore throat, my sinuses became congested, and my nose very runny. I hate runny noses, and I usually take Claritin D for my sinuses when I get sick, but Claritin was off limits, so I tried Sudafed (the regular one you take every 4-6 hrs, not the 24 relief), and I have to say, I am very pleased with it! It cleared up my nose right away, and I think it helped clear my nose for good, becuase my sinuses never got as bad as they were before the Sudafed. And, keep in mind, I only had one Sudafed the whole time i was sick, and my nose felt pretty good from there on out!

Still Stuffy

from Pleasant Grove, UT

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

I have chronic sinuitis and I battle sinus infections a couple of times each winter. One of the reasons the congestion becomes a sinus infection is because the over the counter medicine doesn't get the sinuses to drain well enough. It seems I've always used Sudafed because it's the most well known sinus medication but recently I've gotten tired of the high price and low quality. I don't ever seem to get enough drainage from the product for the price paid. My doctor recommended Mucinex instead but I have yet to try it. Sudafed PE should be a stronger strength that could provide more relief so I thought. I chose the PE version over Sudafed Maximum strength because I thought maybe I would have better luck but I did not notice much of a difference in the two. I would be aware if you easily get sinus infections that Sudafed PE may not be strong enough to do the job. Next time I'll put my money into trying out Mucinex, hopefully with better luck.

Okay for an average cold, not for a sinus infection

from Greensboro, NC

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

Preface: Different people react to medications differently. This is just my personal experience.

I'm not a fan of Sudafed PE. Regular Sudafed works (that formulation is now normally available only behind the pharmacy counter in most states) very well for my seasonal allergies. I find that Sudafed PE doesn't deliever the same decongestive effects, especially when my allergies are really packing a one-two punch and I can't breathe through my nostrils at all. In a pinch I'll take PE as one of my all time pet peeves is not being able to breathe! But I'd be hard pressed to give it more than an average rating because for *me* it provides average results.

I can say that, again for *me*, Sudafed PE's non-drowsy claim is true. It doesn't cause drowsiness for me and I've been able to function well while taking the medication (none of those odd light-headed effects that can come with some cold/sinus medications).

Food and Drug Adminstration need to regulate all medication

from Newkirk, OK

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

In my opinion the FDA needs to regulate more than just the sell of Sudafed and products like it.  There are people taking too much asprin, over the counter pain relievers, and weight loss medicine.  The FDA als needs to be stricter on prescrition medicine.  I know several different people who go to multiple pharmarcies and get the same medicine that was prescibed by different doctors they need to come up with network software for that to prevent consumers from doing that, people die from it everyday.

Waste of Money.

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

This absolutely does not work for the congestion associated with the common cold. I had to ask my doctor to call in for the oridignal Sudafed that DOES work.

Congestion Relief
Does nothing. I still cannot breathe through my nose.

• Cough Suppression:

Not miraculous, but it works

from Fairfield, VA

Comments about Sudafed PE Congestion:

I would recommend that everyone at least try Sudafed PE in at least a few different circumstances to see if it works for them.  I couldn't use the kind they took off the market-the pseudoephedrine, because it would give me insomnia and make my heart race.  So I was skeptical about trying the new version.  The new "milder" kind that is used now-the phenylephrine, doesn't work as well as a decongestant for me, but it doesn't keep me awake or make my heart race.  I definitely would say it relieves some of my congestion and helps to dry up my daily runny nose that is a result of my constant allergies.  It is also just as effective in a store-brand, in my opinion.  It dries my sinuses up, but not so much that it is uncomfortably dry or bleeding.  For someone with constant nasal problems like me, it is definitely helpful at times when I really need to not be distracted by my sinuses-like at work.