3.3

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:
    • I received a sample (23), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (7)

Cheaper than a Cell Phone Plan - GREAT COVERAGE!!!!

On November 3, 2009 my Mom passed away.  My husband and I had to travel to Oregon to take care of her affairs.  Living in Montana cellular service is spotty at best.  As we are home 90% of the time we really never had a need for a cell phone.  However once in Oregon we needed something so that we could keep the phone line free to handle business calls.

Since we were only going to be there a month I did not want to have to sign up for a contract type of plan.  My niece told me that Wal*Mart sold all types of cards you could buy that were month by month.  That sounded just perfect to us.

Once we got there we found an whole aisle full of different types of these cards from various companies, various amounts of hours, various costs.  Mind boggling to say the least when you know NOTHING about a cell phone.  Hehehe.

In the end we chose the Straight Talk phone.  We chose it for a variety of reasons.

I would say that the price was the main reason.  They offered 2 types of cards.  One was Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texting and Unlimited Web Access.  This one is $40.00 per month.  The second card offered was 1000 Minutes, 1000 Texting and 30 Megs of Web Access.  This one is $30.00 for a month.  As I knew that I would be using it a lot calling all of the places I needed to in order to take care of my Mom's affairs I chose the $40.00 Unlimited plan.

Back in November of 2009 once you purchased your card you would call the number on the back.  You would talk to a live person in order to get it activated.  The person I got was very professional, didn't waste time with stupid things, was basically all business.  She did have a strong accent which made it a bit difficult.  But she knew what she was doing and answered any question I had.

I just renewed my service as my hubby and I are out looking for a new place to buy.  Thus we are driving all over the state of Montana.  We talked it over and felt that it might be a good idea to get another card in the event that someone might need to get a hold of us in an emergency.

This time I bought the 1000 minute card.  When I called to get it activated I found that now you do not have to talk to a real person.  It is all automated with a few pushes of buttons.  It was just GREAT!  Way faster, much easier and it was done in now time at all.  When I first got it activated they said it could take up to 4 hours to be active.  It took a little over an hour.  But now with the automated system my phone was active as soon as I hung up.

It said on the phone as I was reactivating it that you can also activate the phone on line.  I never tried it, but I'm going to check it out if we need to use it longer than this month.

It was a little hard for me to decide on a rating.  I wasn't sure if I should rate just the "Service" itself or the phones as well.  The choice of phones you can get with the Straight Talk are not many.  I think there were about 3 of them.  The one we purchased cost $49.99.  They had one that was very much like the Blackberry that was $99.99 at the time.  There was one other there that was cheaper.

When we purchased our phone it was an LG brand.  I don't know what they have now, but I can only assume that it is also an LG.  I am very pleased with the phone itself.  It has an easy to read display, it's small and is very user friendly which helps as the little instruction leaflet you get with it leaves one heck of a lot to be desired.  And trust me... never having used a cell phone in my life I needed the phone to be user friendly.

If I could fault the phone itself for anything is that it loses it's charge fairly quickly.  However it does recharge at a very rapid rate.  But if you are out a heavy user it won't last real long for you.

The coverage is VERY GOOD.  I found out after buying the Straight Talk that it is owned by Verizon.  Therefore you get a lot more coverage area than you would with other companies.  I found that for the most part we can get service most anywhere here in Montana.  I know from talking to others that they have a lot of problems.

My Dad has AT&T.  He couldn't get coverage in White Sulpher Springs.  We get coverage there.  Others couldn't get coverage where we are.  I get great coverage.  It seems with most of the other companies it is a real roll of the dice if you get coverage or not.

With our Straight Talk we get coverage most everywhere that others do not.  Of course it does lose the signal when were are going in between mountains, but we quickly got it back when you get out of that valley.

I have recommended Straight Talk to a lot of people.  People I know are paying $100.00 a month for their plans.  Straight Talk is every bit as good as signing up for one of the contract plans out there and it is half the price.  It is a bit of a hassle to go and buy a card everytime you get close to the end of the month, but you can sign up with them to have them take your payment out every month and thus not lose service.

Bottom line is I say, "Why pay twice the price for the same service?"

Deception By Straight Talk Phones

I purchased a straight talk phone and plan thinking it would save me money and give me the amount of minutes, texting, and internet I would need on a daily, monthly basis, however, needless to say, I was mistaken about many things that are taken for granted with a service plan versus the straight talk plan. You see, my phone would not carry a charge, and I was forced to contact the company and they then notified me that I would receive a new phone in the mail. They said they do not replace only batteries, they replace the whole phone. I thought at that time, that would be fine, so I said okay. Little did I know, but they sent me an envelope to return the phone.Before I would receive the new phone, I had to send the old one, the charger, and the battery all back. I now was without a phone for a period of over two weeks by this point. I sent the phone back, and received the new phone, however, what I was not informed of was that I would be losing all my phone numbers that were transferred over from my old phone, and anything else I had in the phone, ie, pictures, short videos, etc.. It seems that when you send the phone back before you received the new phone, the sim card becomes cancelled or deactivated, and you can no longer use it to transfer the numbers over to the new phone. This is a huge issue with me as I had a minimum of 50 + numbers in my phone transferred from my old phone that now I cannot get back. I contacted the company and they simply said so non chalantly, I am sorry, but you will have to re enter all the numbers back in, we cannot save your information or fix this for you. I was apalled and asked if this was a problem with every caller that has to return a phone, and the answer was YES! I now have to try to remember the phone numbers I had, not to mention the ones I have not called in quite some time, but this also posed as a problem in information for Dr offices that changed addresses and phone numbers through out the last ten years I have had a cell phone. I felt extremely upset, and disrespected, not to mention angry at the fact that this company knew this would happen the minute they told me about sending me a new phone. They in fact deliberately lied and told me the phone was coming, not an envelope, and in doing so, were able to avoid the issue with the phone numbers which they fully knew I would lose the minute I sent the phone back. I am sure I am not the only one to have this inconvenience happen, and would please caution anyone who makes the decision to purchase this phone, and minutes from this company as they are not very helpful nor can they correct the issues at hand nor are they willing. Let the Buyer Beware, and please understand, that while paying for a plan through another company such as AT & T can be expensive, at least you have peace of mind that you will be given the correct information and given several solutions to transferring phone numbers out from one phone to the next, as well as they send you the new phone, then ask for the old phone, and are not afraid to credit back for any inconveniences you may have had with their products. I am disgusted, and will not continue with this company once my minutes have been used up with this company.

Call Quality
I was put on hold for long time frames, and the representatives do not know the answers to the quesitons I asked, nor do they give out correct information regarding their return policies. They are also rude, and disrespectful and at some points during the call, so you have to call back. I am extremely disgusted with thier horrible customer service representatives including their supervisors.

Coverage
They do not tell you that you have ot send the phone back if there is a problem with the phone when you call to report your problem. It isn't until you receive the envelope in the mail that you find out this is their policy. Very bad business practices.

Plan Options
The plan options would be great if their product worked properly and or their policies were explained properly, however, you are able to go online to their website to sign up for Auto-Refill, but are not able to cancel the Auto Refill unless you call the company and request this to be done. Not good business practices.

Features
The phone is extremely hard to figure out and the booklet that comes with the phone does not cover all the features on the phone so it is difficult to figure them out on your own.

Customer Service
Customer service does not give out correct information, and they leave you on hold for sometimes well over five minutes at an interval. When they come back, they still do not have the answer and will opt to lie to you in order to answer your question instead of saying I don't know, let me find out for you. Also, they misslead their customers into thinking they will receive the new phone for the broken phone first but this isn't true. I was hung up on several times, and the representative made it seem as though she could not hear me, and hung up on several occasions when I was speaking about the problems with my phone.

Customer Service Stinks!

from Dutchess county NY

Comments about Straight Talk:

I purchased a new unlocked phone for my son directly from Straight Talk (ST) and enjoyed years of service. We were traveling, and he left the phone on the plane. Thought it was lost, but the airline found it months later. In trying to reactivate the phone, I can't. ST keeps telling me I need to contact the original provider, but I got the new phone from them, and they were the original provider. I asked the customer service rep to speak to his boss, and his response was no and hung up on me. Get the name or ID number if you talk to a rep they are rude nasty and not very interested in quality customer service. I still have no service and a phone that doesn't work because ST can't make the phone I bought from them work. WH???

Good service, but horrible customer service.

from South Point, OH

Comments about Straight Talk:

I use this service every day. The service is great in my area, but the customer service is awful! I have a iPhone 7 that was an AT&T phone originally. It was easy to activate and I love my phone. Sometimes the data is slow, and it takes a bit when searching for things on the internet. All n all I would recommend this service to someone.

Telemarketers dream

from Hamburg New York 14075

Comments about Straight Talk:

I'm sick of you selling my number to telemarketers

Warranty replacement = two weeks phoneless

from Pensacola, FL

Comments about Straight Talk:

The Samsung phones they sell have a habit of breaking down. They make you wait for an envelope to arrive, send your old phone in to them, and THEN they will send a replacement. I'm looking at two weeks without a phone!!! They offer no loaner phone. I like their plans and coverage, but their phone replacement policy is totally inadequate if you depend on your phone as I do.

Decent service, poor customer service

from Northwest, GA

Comments about Straight Talk:

The service and plans are ok, but the overall customer service is just horrible.

Love this item and service

from Hadley, Pennsylvania

Comments about Straight Talk:

I bought a LG Stylus 3 phone from straight talk and have had their mobile cell service for about four or five years, and I love it. In all of that time I have not had to contact the customer service for anything and I get service everywhere I have gone. I have never gone without a signal.

Online and phone customer service are useless!

from Cedar Rapids, IA

Comments about Straight Talk:

I was a Straight Talk customer for NINE years and the tower service was okay. But when I needed to deal with someone on the phone, NO! They are not helpful, the ones in India and Hispanic countries cannot be understood easily. The ones in Hong Kong are okay usually. Rarely did I get correct information or courteous help. A woman was rude to me while activating a phone a couple years ago,so I started using only online chat which seemed okay at first, but I just got incorrect information from three different reps this week. I asked if the T Mobile phone I was given was compatible with their service. I was told I had to buy a T Mobile sim card for Straight Talk. I bought the plan/ sim package, waited two days for it to arrive, then was told that the phone was not able to be activated because there were no towers for it in my area, based on my phone number. I asked to be refunded since their reps were not doing their jobs. I was given a number to call with a reference number. I was told I had the wrong number and was transferred. I talked to a guy from India that I could barely understand. He again tried to go through the whole activation. He told me it was not able to be used in this area. I again asked for a refund of the $39.55 I had just spent. He refused since the rep the day before had activated the plan card already. I asked if I could use my non smart phone on the smart phone plan. I was told I could. So, I asked to be refunded the $5 difference from the plan I usually purchase. He refused. I asked to be refunded the dollar for the sim card. I cannot afford to just throw away $40. The phone I am currently using is having issues. He said IF there was a return label on the package that I could return the SIM card and get refunded the 99 cents. He did not understand that when I said a dollar that I was talking about the 99 cents. He also kept talking nonsense about AT&T phones using AT&T towers when this had nothing to do with AT&T. I finally hung up on him. Done!

Would NOT use again

from Kentucky

Comments about Straight Talk:

Had the iphone6 for about 3 months. Service worked great, until it didn't. Service just suddenly stopped. Would get "you are not authorized to use this network, contact carrier." The coverage maps on their website show I should have had service. Then they wouldn't unlock phone because I hadn't had 12 months paid service. If the service had continued to work, I wouldn't have needed the phone unlocked.

Love this service

from Bonnieville ky

Comments about Straight Talk:

I like straight talk service. I live out in the middle of nowhere and I get great signal. You also get unlimited talk, text and internet for a reasonable price. As far as their phones I always brought my own and have never used a phone by them just the service

Cell phones are rip offs

from Texas

Bought all phones from Straight Talk.Had one that went into
some kind of short out.Contacted Straight Talk.I had to go
through 5 different reps before finding one that spoke English
well enough to understand.About an hour.I then went through the
details of what the phone was doing with all 5 reps.Finally the one said
they'd send a new phone.Still under warranty.Will have to send old phone back before
receiving a new one.The phones are not upgradable.So don't expect
any upgrades.They are locked to their server only.So if you decide to
switch to something else and use the same phone?You are out of luck.Buy their phone and use their service.Take it or leave it.They don't tell you that.