3.4

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:
    • I received a sample (19), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (6)

Cheaper than a Cell Phone Plan - GREAT COVERAGE!!!!

On November 3, 2009 my Mom passed away.  My husband and I had to travel to Oregon to take care of her affairs.  Living in Montana cellular service is spotty at best.  As we are home 90% of the time we really never had a need for a cell phone.  However once in Oregon we needed something so that we could keep the phone line free to handle business calls.

Since we were only going to be there a month I did not want to have to sign up for a contract type of plan.  My niece told me that Wal*Mart sold all types of cards you could buy that were month by month.  That sounded just perfect to us.

Once we got there we found an whole aisle full of different types of these cards from various companies, various amounts of hours, various costs.  Mind boggling to say the least when you know NOTHING about a cell phone.  Hehehe.

In the end we chose the Straight Talk phone.  We chose it for a variety of reasons.

I would say that the price was the main reason.  They offered 2 types of cards.  One was Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texting and Unlimited Web Access.  This one is $40.00 per month.  The second card offered was 1000 Minutes, 1000 Texting and 30 Megs of Web Access.  This one is $30.00 for a month.  As I knew that I would be using it a lot calling all of the places I needed to in order to take care of my Mom's affairs I chose the $40.00 Unlimited plan.

Back in November of 2009 once you purchased your card you would call the number on the back.  You would talk to a live person in order to get it activated.  The person I got was very professional, didn't waste time with stupid things, was basically all business.  She did have a strong accent which made it a bit difficult.  But she knew what she was doing and answered any question I had.

I just renewed my service as my hubby and I are out looking for a new place to buy.  Thus we are driving all over the state of Montana.  We talked it over and felt that it might be a good idea to get another card in the event that someone might need to get a hold of us in an emergency.

This time I bought the 1000 minute card.  When I called to get it activated I found that now you do not have to talk to a real person.  It is all automated with a few pushes of buttons.  It was just GREAT!  Way faster, much easier and it was done in now time at all.  When I first got it activated they said it could take up to 4 hours to be active.  It took a little over an hour.  But now with the automated system my phone was active as soon as I hung up.

It said on the phone as I was reactivating it that you can also activate the phone on line.  I never tried it, but I'm going to check it out if we need to use it longer than this month.

It was a little hard for me to decide on a rating.  I wasn't sure if I should rate just the "Service" itself or the phones as well.  The choice of phones you can get with the Straight Talk are not many.  I think there were about 3 of them.  The one we purchased cost $49.99.  They had one that was very much like the Blackberry that was $99.99 at the time.  There was one other there that was cheaper.

When we purchased our phone it was an LG brand.  I don't know what they have now, but I can only assume that it is also an LG.  I am very pleased with the phone itself.  It has an easy to read display, it's small and is very user friendly which helps as the little instruction leaflet you get with it leaves one heck of a lot to be desired.  And trust me... never having used a cell phone in my life I needed the phone to be user friendly.

If I could fault the phone itself for anything is that it loses it's charge fairly quickly.  However it does recharge at a very rapid rate.  But if you are out a heavy user it won't last real long for you.

The coverage is VERY GOOD.  I found out after buying the Straight Talk that it is owned by Verizon.  Therefore you get a lot more coverage area than you would with other companies.  I found that for the most part we can get service most anywhere here in Montana.  I know from talking to others that they have a lot of problems.

My Dad has AT&T.  He couldn't get coverage in White Sulpher Springs.  We get coverage there.  Others couldn't get coverage where we are.  I get great coverage.  It seems with most of the other companies it is a real roll of the dice if you get coverage or not.

With our Straight Talk we get coverage most everywhere that others do not.  Of course it does lose the signal when were are going in between mountains, but we quickly got it back when you get out of that valley.

I have recommended Straight Talk to a lot of people.  People I know are paying $100.00 a month for their plans.  Straight Talk is every bit as good as signing up for one of the contract plans out there and it is half the price.  It is a bit of a hassle to go and buy a card everytime you get close to the end of the month, but you can sign up with them to have them take your payment out every month and thus not lose service.

Bottom line is I say, "Why pay twice the price for the same service?"

Deception By Straight Talk Phones

I purchased a straight talk phone and plan thinking it would save me money and give me the amount of minutes, texting, and internet I would need on a daily, monthly basis, however, needless to say, I was mistaken about many things that are taken for granted with a service plan versus the straight talk plan. You see, my phone would not carry a charge, and I was forced to contact the company and they then notified me that I would receive a new phone in the mail. They said they do not replace only batteries, they replace the whole phone. I thought at that time, that would be fine, so I said okay. Little did I know, but they sent me an envelope to return the phone.Before I would receive the new phone, I had to send the old one, the charger, and the battery all back. I now was without a phone for a period of over two weeks by this point. I sent the phone back, and received the new phone, however, what I was not informed of was that I would be losing all my phone numbers that were transferred over from my old phone, and anything else I had in the phone, ie, pictures, short videos, etc.. It seems that when you send the phone back before you received the new phone, the sim card becomes cancelled or deactivated, and you can no longer use it to transfer the numbers over to the new phone. This is a huge issue with me as I had a minimum of 50 + numbers in my phone transferred from my old phone that now I cannot get back. I contacted the company and they simply said so non chalantly, I am sorry, but you will have to re enter all the numbers back in, we cannot save your information or fix this for you. I was apalled and asked if this was a problem with every caller that has to return a phone, and the answer was YES! I now have to try to remember the phone numbers I had, not to mention the ones I have not called in quite some time, but this also posed as a problem in information for Dr offices that changed addresses and phone numbers through out the last ten years I have had a cell phone. I felt extremely upset, and disrespected, not to mention angry at the fact that this company knew this would happen the minute they told me about sending me a new phone. They in fact deliberately lied and told me the phone was coming, not an envelope, and in doing so, were able to avoid the issue with the phone numbers which they fully knew I would lose the minute I sent the phone back. I am sure I am not the only one to have this inconvenience happen, and would please caution anyone who makes the decision to purchase this phone, and minutes from this company as they are not very helpful nor can they correct the issues at hand nor are they willing. Let the Buyer Beware, and please understand, that while paying for a plan through another company such as AT & T can be expensive, at least you have peace of mind that you will be given the correct information and given several solutions to transferring phone numbers out from one phone to the next, as well as they send you the new phone, then ask for the old phone, and are not afraid to credit back for any inconveniences you may have had with their products. I am disgusted, and will not continue with this company once my minutes have been used up with this company.

Call Quality
I was put on hold for long time frames, and the representatives do not know the answers to the quesitons I asked, nor do they give out correct information regarding their return policies. They are also rude, and disrespectful and at some points during the call, so you have to call back. I am extremely disgusted with thier horrible customer service representatives including their supervisors.

Coverage
They do not tell you that you have ot send the phone back if there is a problem with the phone when you call to report your problem. It isn't until you receive the envelope in the mail that you find out this is their policy. Very bad business practices.

Plan Options
The plan options would be great if their product worked properly and or their policies were explained properly, however, you are able to go online to their website to sign up for Auto-Refill, but are not able to cancel the Auto Refill unless you call the company and request this to be done. Not good business practices.

Features
The phone is extremely hard to figure out and the booklet that comes with the phone does not cover all the features on the phone so it is difficult to figure them out on your own.

Customer Service
Customer service does not give out correct information, and they leave you on hold for sometimes well over five minutes at an interval. When they come back, they still do not have the answer and will opt to lie to you in order to answer your question instead of saying I don't know, let me find out for you. Also, they misslead their customers into thinking they will receive the new phone for the broken phone first but this isn't true. I was hung up on several times, and the representative made it seem as though she could not hear me, and hung up on several occasions when I was speaking about the problems with my phone.

Great company

from Bristol Florida

Comments about Straight Talk:

I have this phone service. It's great service everywhere unlimited everything.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

i highly recommend Straight talk!

from West Lawn, PA

Comments about Straight Talk:

For under $50 i have unlimited calls, texting and data usage/internet. I have no complaints about call clarity and hardly any "dead spots" Nobody beats that!

horrible customer service

from bradford, nh

Comments about Straight Talk:

I purchased a straight talk phone, set it up and it would not let me make outgoing calls or hear the person on the other end. I called tech support who told me the phone was defective. I sent the phone in to be replaced but unexpectedly had to move so I called them to give them my new address and told them not to send it to my previous address. they still sent it to my wrong address and had my new address wrong on their computer after I had to repeat my address to them several times because they did not speak good English. they said they would cancel the phone they sent out and send me a new phone and I would see it in another 3 to5 business days. I received the box in 5 business days but it had a return packaging and no phone. I sent me the wrong box and while waiting on the phone with them for 45 minutes, being put on hold several times, and transferred to 3 different people, they said they would send me another phone but I had to wait another 3 to 5 business days. I am still waiting.

Straight Talk sucks!

from North Carolina

Comments about Straight Talk:

I am trying to activate .my phone and transfer a number, I have waited 4 days so far. Called ST this morning and they said I have to wait ANOTHER 2 business days. As a General Contractor I use my phone all day everyday, This is completely unacceptable

Good Value Good Service

from Mount Carbon, WV

Comments about Straight Talk:

This is a good company, It picks up in places that other cell phone fail to have signal. The price is great too! I pay $45 a month for unlimited talk/text/internet. There are other plans that are lower but this is the one that fits me. I recommend this service.

Malo

from Georgetown, Ca.

Bad signal sensitivity.
Bad Customer Support
Terrible technical support
As far as I can tell Straight Talk subordinates itself to Verizon cause of Verizon's broadcast towers.
Please go elsewhere. Save yourself an ulcer.

Terrible customer service

from Michigan

Comments about Straight Talk:

I had a defective phone to return. I called customer service and spoke to someone who spoke broken English. It's obvious that Straight Talk contracts their customer service outside the US. Bad decision. I would not recommend this company. I'm still waiting for my replacement phone. It's been over 4 weeks. Terrible customer service.

horrible phone plan

from rising sun, md

Comments about Straight Talk:

I brought my own phone to straight talk last Friday. my boyfriend had warned me that with his three other friends switching to straight talk if they kept their number from their previous provider it wouldn't activate or have service for two days. with that being said I chose to just get a new number. all was fine and dandy for about a day and all the sudden I lost service. nothing. not one bar just no service. then my phone displayed "activation required" mind you I had activated it the day before. I went onto the live feed and rocco was very helpful , unfortunately there was nothing else he could do for me and asked me to call customer service ... dun dun dun .... the lady was very rude. I had stated that everything she was asking me t do I had already done five minutes before I got on the phone with her .. after going through her script AGAIN on what to do with my phone ... shocker .. still didn't work. she proceeded to tell me I needed to wait 24 hours and call again to do the same thing. I asked her if it didn't work then would they credit my account for whatever needed to be done and she said she didn't know she'd figure it out tomorrow. that's not right whatsoever. oh well frustrated enough I got off the phone , waited and live chatted in the morning . great they said it was my sim card and magically after I got off the live feed , after a new sim card was being sent out , I regain service ... tadaaaa .... but my cellular data doesn't work. so when my new sim card came in I decided to register it anyway. I had asked the representative before I registered it if it would fix my data problem ... of course ma'am! awesome register that thing and lets get going .... sim card didn't work ... no service yet again and no questions to be answered. meanwhile I couldn't deactivate my Verizon phone in which I was trying to get away from for this cheaper bill , in the end it has cost me dbl. all in all wouldn't recommend it to anyone. keep the expensive plans.

Don't Buy a Stright Talk Phone

from Reidsville, North Carolina

Comments about Straight Talk:

I bought a Straight Talk phone in August. The power button was broken by December. Since December they have sent me Four phones that do not work. I asked them to send me a different model of phone the refuse to send me a different kind of phone I have not had a phone since December. When I asked the MANGER if he could see why I was upset he told me no that IT WAS NOT HAPENPING TO HIM THERE FOR HE COULD NOT SEE MY POINT!!!!!!!!

This sucks

from Pine Island, Florida

Comments about Straight Talk:

I have had no help with these people. They want to keep you on the phone all day, and repeat everything. They go through the same motions, and nothing ever gets resolved. Sent me a replacement phone, that is worse than the one I sent in. I would not recommend straight talk to anyone. They are a joke.