3.5

• Product Selection:
    • Product Pricing:
    • Customer Service:
    • Shipping and Returns:

Great for office supplies!

I have purchased online on Staples.com many times and I have been satisfied with both my orders as well as my online shopping experience with them. Out of the things that I've purchased from them online, I love buying my office supplies from them. They have a huge collection and the prices are great! I think Staples.com has a larger selection than their stores and they often have a huge clearance or sale section on their website. I usually select the store pick up option for my orders, that way I don't need to pay for any shipping or delivery charges. I hardly had to wait for a couple of minutes to collect my online order in store, which is really convenient for me. I also like the fact that their "Help Center" section covers a lot of general questions that one may have while placing orders online. I have been able to find answers to all my queries from this section and did not need to make any calls. Overall, a great place to buy office supplies. I may try Staples.com for other products as well in the future.

Staples no longer stands behind their products - buyers beware!

Although this write-up is long, I encourage you to read it so my experience doesn't happen to you. It used to be that Staples was a reliable place to shop. As a business person who has been purchasing a good amount of products from them, I just experienced the sad discovery that they will not stand behind products that fail to work within only three weeks of purchase. Their return policy is within two weeks, although I never would have thought it applies to a product failure within less than three weeks of purchase. Just under three weeks ago, I purchased a docking station for my laptop at the North Wales, PA store. The associate who assisted me showed me a universal docking station that was in the back office of the store at a price of $169.99 plus tax. He explained that it was taken off the floor because it was a discontinued item and, when I specifically asked why it was discontinued (whether there was anything wrong with it), he stated nothing was wrong with it, that they sometimes discontinue products because they try others that simply sell better. I trusted - shame on me. It never occurred to me that the store's 2 week return policy would apply if the product failed within such a short period of time. In just the third week of owning the $170+ product, it not only stopped working, but it completely shut down my computer and caused me to lose a significant amount of material that I had been working on for a presentation. I took the docking station back to the store and the Assistant Manager, Nick Aiello, refused to credit my purchase, maintaining that the store's two week return policy is regardless of reason and the faulty item is not their responsibility. He had no concern whatsoever about putting me in a difficult situation from both the financial and inconvenience standpoints, nor did he have any problem with my contacting the Staples corporate office or sharing my experience publicly because he actually believes Staples shouldn't be expected to stand behind faulty merchandise. I did contact corporate and spoke to Christina in Customer Relations in what's called "The President's Office" - hmmmmmm..... not so much. She recited the speech she's clearly been trained to recite, apologizing for my frustration, "but our return policy is very strict and we adhere to it", reiterating that there's nothing Staples will do to help. When something like this happens, the only goal for everyone should be that the customer is treated fairly and leaves the situation feeling loyal to the store. However, my efforts confirmed that Staples' philosophy is one of complete indifference to whether or not I patronize their business.Toshiba, the maker of the docking station has given us an authorization number to ship the docking station back and they will send me a new one. Having responded honorably, I will gladly continue to do business with Toshiba in the future but, due to the lack of honor and respect demonstrated up the line to Staples' "President's Office" (hmmmmm......), I will never purchase as little as a pen from Staples again.

I would buy from them again.

from Ohio

Comments about Staples.com:

The first time I checked out Staples.com was a couple Christmas's ago. Every year we pull names for Secret Santa and that year I pulled out my brother-in-laws name. I was having trouble finding a gift for him, so I decided a gift card would probably be the best option. So I decided to try to get him a Itunes gift card. When browsing the web for discounted gift cards, I came to a link to Staples. They had Itunes gift cards on sell for a $50 card for the price of only $40, which was a steal. So I ordered the gift card and within a couple of days I had received the card. I was super impressed with how fast I had received my order, that I decided to take a deeper look into what Staples had to offer. They have about any office supplies you can imagine. You can get great deals on things like printer ink or if you want to stock up on office supplies. I would think Staples is more of a shop for businesses, than small individual families. So if you run your own business Staples is a great place for you to shop. But for Individual families needing to buy school supplies for their children, I would suggest trying other retailers for the best back to school shopping deals.

Terrible Customer Service

from Glastonbury, CT

Comments about Staples.com:

Terrible customer service. Very rude print staff. Daughter went to pick up poster at 2:14 and the staff was short with her. Told her she ordered it too late yesterday for it to be ready by 2. Then told her to come back at 3:30 they would run it after a banner that they were doing. I just arrived at 3:45 to find same rude staff telling me to come back at 8pm. I will never order anything here again. What a waste of my time and gas!

Fast and easy buying.

from Nesconset,ny

Comments about Staples.com:

Staples.com has been being used in my house for a long time when I had trouble on another stationary type stores website. I have always gone to the store for the kids back to school needs and my husband works from home and he requires a lot of office supplies. However when I used staples.com I realized they have everything they do in the store right online so I can save myself a trip if I'm not already going out. With a family that requires books, pencils, pens, and everything in between throughout the year not including the beginning of the school year, it's nice to be able to order from a site that's organized and provides easy fast shipping. It's convenient and nice because instead of digging through page after page looking for something they have everything easy to find and most of the time on sale. They have great customer service in case you run into a problem too. I didn't I just had a question when I first used it and they were very nice. I would definitely recommend trying if you go through a lot of stationary or office supplies. You'll be surprised with the time and money you'll save. Two thumbs up!

on like order

from AUBURN CA

Comments about Staples.com:

placed a order online told me it be here on the Dec 2 I placed it on the Dec 1, on ;the 2cd it was told it be here on the 3rd called the store they also said the Dec 3rd went in the on the 4 it still was not I ,on the 4th I was told it be in on the 5 th went in it was finely in,they said we do not get delivery on Satuday or Sundays, I was lied too by the online people and by the store the paper I order was too be heavy contiont paper, it was not heavy it was very weak not what I order at all Ihave bought many high price items I WILL NEVER BUY FORM THEM AGAIN,

Poor business, customer service, and advertising practices

from Medina, OH

Comments about Staples.com:

Saw an advertised price on Staples online store and it was mentioned that store pickup was available. Went into store and price was $10 extra. Was given a "price match" for their own store and merchandise then was told there was a sale on the item of buy 2 get one free. Took the sale and decided to go back into store after loading my car and decided to buy 3 more. Once at the register was told by the manager that there had been a mistake and that I was not going to get the same sale. It was either a price match, again for their own merchandise and webpage, or the in store price and sale. No apology and manager was so rude and started to argue with me. I left and will never spend another dollar in that store. Shady business practices.

They've changed for the worse dramatically. Bye, Staples.

from Asheville, NC

Comments about Staples.com:

I researched shredders. I have an old generic Staples shredder that finally blew out. It was a good investment.

I drove to Staples to look and feel what I found. The salesperson wasn't knowledgeable but he was nice (never doing that again). I felt that I was ripped off. Since the reviews were a bit iffy, I bought the one year (it's called two years but is not ... it's a hook) extended warranty. I opted to have it shipped for free since the only model they had was the floor model.

It arrived a day late (not an issue by itself through UPS). It hadn't been checked to ensure it was packed properly. It was missing: a lock, proper packing, instructions, and had paper in the shredder - obviously a return. So, I saved my back to have it delivered and it was garbage and I had to carry it back ... so much for my back.

No apologies were given but a lot of excuses were. No additional credit for their incompetence. I've had it with this faint reminder of yet another store that will likely bite the dust in the coming years. You can't run a business like this!

I went to a non-office supply store (dept. store) and bought a better shredder without any kind of tricky warranty. The bin's bigger, it has wheels, I made the sales rep. open the box and we both ensured everything was properly packed and in the box. I paid more for it and I know the store is dependable. Staples is not.

Beware of In Store Pricing

from Ukiah, CA

Comments about Staples.com:

Recently I purchased a USB cable at the San Rafael, CA store. I was charged $20.29 for the cable. Later that day I went on to staples.com website and found the exact same cable (even the same item number) for $4.49, a difference of $15.80! Since then my husband needed a cable & went into the Ukiah, CA store and again was charged $20.29.
I lodged a complaint with Staples. While I can understand some difference in price, the in store price is 4 times as much as the on line price. Their response was less than adequate. "Sometimes you will find differences in pricing between our stores and our internet site. The prices on our website vary by market area, just as our retail store prices do. However, the different cost of doing business online versus in a retail environment can impact the prices we set. " Yes, they do not have to pay for a retail outlet & quite as much staffing but on the other hand, I get free shipping so there are costs connected with online sales.
So customer beware!!!

Will Not Return

from Farmington NM

Comments about Staples.com:

I shop Staples regularly for my personal use items, but more importantly, at work we order ALL of our office supplies from Staples. We spend hundreds (even thousands when busy) of dollars a month. After my experience today, they just lost all business from me and from work. I am a manager and I know how online reviews can effect business, so I tend to keep my opinion to myself. But today was inexcusable. I needed some copies made and the employee didn't understand what I asked him to do. Not a problem, possibly I didn't explain well. After he did the copies wrong 2 more times (after telling him each time what I needed) he started huffing and puffing, threw the lid to the copier open and began to talk to me very rudely. I kindly said, "how about you just give me my original back and I will go somewhere else." He threw open the lid and gave me back my paper. He said, "have a nice day." First of all, I'm a very busy person. I do not have time to waste running all over town. Second, I believe the employee should have never let me walk away. Before leaving the store, I explained the employees behavior to the manager, and he said, "I'll check about the problem." The manager, also should have never let me walk out. Couldn't he offer to help me? I only needed some color copies, for goodness sake. Sad that they did allow me to leave, without copies and upset. A lot of revenue just walked out the door!

Buy online, Pick up in store

from Barrow, Alaska

Comments about Staples.com:

I tried for two days to use this service buy online and pick up in the store. I wanted to buy a gift for my niece in PA and I live in Alaska. So I got online and tried 5 times to check out at stores that said the item was in stock. I called one of the locations and they said they had 3 in stock but did not know why the website was not working and that I could not purchase the computer over the phone. I then called staples customer service and was on the phone for 2 hours and spoke with 4 people. The first two knew nothing the 3 third lady tried to convince me because I was location in Alaska that I could not purchase anything on the website to be picked up in the lower 48. I told her that she did not know what she was talking about and that I needed to speak to her supervisor. So her supervisor gets on the phone and explains that if there is less than 5 of an item in the store that it can not be bought online. I said ok but don't you think it should say 0 in stock for purchase online pick up in store. She then told me its a new service and I that they are still working out all the problems. Dear Staples, my time matters and I would be nice if you figured out your problems before you offer a service to the public. Also, I can't believe that I was not offered a coupon or anything to redeem my time and frustration with your website and employees.

Horrible customer service

from Sachse, TX

Comments about Staples.com:

I ordered two the office chairs the other day, sold by STAPLES, I checked out and the day they were supposed to arrive I received an email from STAPLES saying they were out of stock. When I contacted STAPLES they told me "Clearance items are only available While Supplies Last", I understand that but I shouldn't have been able to check out and pay if the item was unavailable. I requested assistance from them to find a comparable chair at the same price because it was very deceiving and it is not my fault that they cannot keep track of their inventory and their customer service consisted of an "I apologize". SO just because you buy something from staples do not expect to actually recieve it. #STAPLES